RE: [icons-rpg] Re: when villains attack

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 4 8:25 AM
      If that were true, does it mean that player characters never suffer from slams or stuns?

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: john@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: when villains attack

      Not according to the RAW. It's a fine house rule though.

      John

      John Powell

      > It's a hit.
      >
      > Bear in mind that that even though the PC is rolling the Dodge, this is a just a Reaction style action performed on the NPC's turn. What is being tested is NPC Action, his attack on the PC. And as such the result table of Fail, Moderate, Major and Massive Success is read from the NPC's point of view.
      >
      > Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.
      >
      > If you read result as a testing for the NPC's attack it is +5, a Massive Success with possible Stun or Kill.
      > If you read this as a test of the PCS dodge it is a -5 which is just a simple Fail, no possible Stun or Kill.
      >

      > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bblackmoor@...
      > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:33:15 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] when villains attack
      >

      > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
      > > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
      > > Prowess of 6.
      >
      > What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
      > successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Brandon Blackmoor
      >
      > --
      > bblackmoor@...
      > 2011-02-04

    • Brandon Blackmoor
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 4 8:30 AM
        On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
        wrote:

        > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
        > never suffer from slams or stuns?

        That is what I was wondering.

        Kind regards,
        Brandon Blackmoor

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-02-04
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4 8:36 AM
          (ICONS, pg. 70)
          Slamming
          If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

          Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

          Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

          Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

          Stunning
          If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

          Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

          Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

          Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

          ---------

          Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

          Hope this helps!

          John Powell

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4 8:44 AM
            I think that is only half the story. Whether you Slam or Stun an opponent depends on the margin of success of the attack (as well as the attack doing at least 0 Stamina damage).

            Quoting fromt he Bashing rules:

            "Test Prowess against a difficulty of the target’s Prowess. On a failure, your attack misses. With a moderate
            success, you deal the attack’s damage in Stamina. With a major success, you may slam the target.
            With a massive success, you may stun the target"

            Now if you don't you don't treat an NPC attack as the NPC's Prowess Test it is not longer possible for the NPC to score a Major or Massive successon the PC and hence you can't ever get a Slam or Stun.

            Does that make sense?

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: john@...
            Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

            (ICONS, pg. 70)
            Slamming
            If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

            Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

            Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

            Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

            Stunning
            If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

            Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

            Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

            Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

            ---------

            Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

            Hope this helps!

            John Powell

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
            > > never suffer from slams or stuns?
            >

            > That is what I was wondering.
            >

            > Kind regards,
            > Brandon Blackmoor
            >
            > --
            > bblackmoor@...
            > 2011-02-04

          • Brandon Blackmoor
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4 8:44 AM
              Huh. The slamming and stunning question is actually on top of the
              question of what happens when the hero rolls exactly the villain's
              attacking ability. Even if a tie always goes to the hero, no matter who
              is attacking, what determines slams and stuns?

              How about if I add "Major Failure" (-3 to -4 effect) and "Massive
              Failure" (-5 or worse effect) when a character is being attacked, and
              use those for determining Slamming and Stunning of the hero?

              Would that break or overcomplicate anything?

              Kind regards,
              Brandon Blackmoor

              --
              bblackmoor@...
              2011-02-04
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4 8:51 AM
                When the villains/NPCs get major and massive successes are covered in the Evading and Dodging rules:

                (ICONS pgs. 57 & 58)
                Evading ®
                You use your Prowess to evade attacks through a series of feints and maneuvers. Evading only works against Prowess and Strength attacks, not Coordination (ranged) attacks. Test Prowess against a difficulty of the attacker's ability level. With a success, the attack misses. On a failure, the attack hits; determine the effect and outcome from the margin of failure. For example, if you fail to evade an attack by 3 levels, the attacker achieves a major success against you.

                Dodging ®
                Dodging is the art of not being there when an attack arrives. Roll a Coordination test against the attacker's ability. With a success, the attack misses. On a failure, the attack hits; determine the effect and outcome from the margin of failure. For example, if you fail to dodge an attack by 3 levels, the attacker achieves a major success against you.

                ----
                If you fail by 3 or 4, then the attacker has a major success against you, and by extension if you fail by 5 or more, the attacker has a massive success against you.

                Did that help?

                John Powell

> [...]
                >
                > Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.
                >
                > Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.
                >
                > Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.
                >
                > ---------
                >
                > Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.
                >
                > Hope this helps!
                >
                > John Powell
                >
                > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters

              • Brandon Blackmoor
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4 8:56 AM
                  On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:51 +0000, "abesapiens" <john@...> wrote:

                  > If you fail by 3 or 4, then the attacker has a major
                  > success against you, and by extension if you fail by
                  > 5 or more, the attacker has a massive success against
                  > you. Did that help?

                  Yes!

                  New question: can you use Coordination to Dodge vs Strength and Prowess
                  attacks?

                  Kind regards,
                  Brandon Blackmoor

                  --
                  bblackmoor@...
                  2011-02-04
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4 9:17 AM
                    Yes, I see it now. I didn't think there was a margin of failure concept. Thanks for sorting that one out.

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: john@...
                    Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:51:23 +0000

> [...]

                    > Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.
                    >
                    > Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.
                    >
                    > Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.
                    >
                    > ---------
                    >
                    > Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps!
                    >
                    > John Powell
                    >
                    > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters

                  • abesapiens
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4 9:27 AM
                      Yes - Evading (Prowess) specifically mentions that it is ONLY good against Prowess and Strength attacks. Dodging (Coordination) only mentions attacks, so I take that to mean it is good against Prowess and Strength attack, as well as ranged attacks.

                      John Powell

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

                      > New question: can you use Coordination to Dodge vs Strength and Prowess
                      > attacks?
                      >

                      > Kind regards,
                      > Brandon Blackmoor
                      >
                      > --
                      > bblackmoor@...
                      > 2011-02-04

                    • eric troup
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 6 9:54 AM
                        I don't remember what the rules say off the top of my head, and if my memory failed like that in the middle of a game, my judgment call would be to let the hero dodge on a tie (They are the heroes, after all).

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 6 9:58 AM
                          On 4 Feb 2011, at 07:58, Soylent Green wrote:

                          It's a hit.

                          Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.

                          Only snag there is that in the rules as written, NPCs don't roll anything, so rolling a +5 would be impossible.
                        • eric troup
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 6 10:00 AM
                            Not at all.  If a die result takes the PC number down enough so that the villain has scored a Moderate or Massive success, the PC would be slammed or stunned, just as the villain would be if the PC scored a Moderate or Massive success.

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                            From: john@...
                            Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000

                            Not according to the RAW. It's a fine house rule though.

                            John

                            John Powell

                            > It's a hit.
                            >
                            > Bear in mind that that even though the PC is rolling the Dodge, this is a just a Reaction style action performed on the NPC's turn. What is being tested is NPC Action, his attack on the PC. And as such the result table of Fail, Moderate, Major and Massive Success is read from the NPC's point of view.
                            >
                            > Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.
                            >
                            > If you read result as a testing for the NPC's attack it is +5, a Massive Success with possible Stun or Kill.
                            > If you read this as a test of the PCS dodge it is a -5 which is just a simple Fail, no possible Stun or Kill.
                            >

                            > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: bblackmoor@...
                            > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:33:15 -0500
                            > Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] when villains attack
                            >

                            > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
                            > > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
                            > > Prowess of 6.
                            >
                            > What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
                            > successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?
                            >
                            > Kind regards,
                            > Brandon Blackmoor
                            >
                            > --
                            > bblackmoor@...
                            > 2011-02-04

                          • eric troup

                              From: john@...
                              Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

                              (ICONS, pg. 70)
                              Slamming
                              If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

                              Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

                              Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

                              Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

                              Stunning
                              If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

                              Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

                              Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

                              Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

                              ---------

                              Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

                              Hope this helps!

                              John Powell

                              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

                              > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
                              > > never suffer from slams or stuns?
                              >

                              > That is what I was wondering.
                              >

                              > Kind regards,
                              > Brandon Blackmoor
                              >
                              > --
                              > bblackmoor@...
                              > 2011-02-04

                            • eric troup

                                From: john@...
                                Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 6 10:36 AM
                                  "Not at all.  If a die result takes the PC number down enough so that the villain has scored a Moderate or Massive success, the PC would be slammed or stunned, just as the villain would be if the PC scored a Moderate or Massive success."

                                  That is what I though at as well. But done this was, 0 is still a Moderate Success.

                                  What Abe Sapiens pointed out in the Dodge rules  (on page 58) is that when NPCs attack PCs Slam or Stun is based on the PC's "margin of failure"

                                  So Effectively there shold be two result tables, one for PC Actions and one for PC Reactions. The Reaction table is just my best guess. The rules say the -3 or worse is a Major Failure so I'm guessing there is also a Massive Failure threshold.

                                  PC Actions
                                  0 -2 Moderatae Success
                                  3-4 Major Success
                                  5+ Massive Success

                                  PC Reactions
                                  0+ Success
                                  -1 to  -2 Moderate Failure
                                  -3  to -4 Major Failure
                                  -5 or less Massive Failure

                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: yakkoman@...
                                  Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:00:26 -0800
                                  Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Re: when villains attack

                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: john@...
                                  Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 6 10:53 AM
                                    I know, I meant to say the total effort for the NPC is 5 and the the total for the PC is 0 (-5 in total).
                                    In any event all my objections from Friday withdrawn as as be has pretty much nailed where I was going wrong.

                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com