RE: [icons-rpg] when villains attack

  • Chris Tavares
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2011

      I vaguely remember Mr. Kenson affirming that the odds are tilted in the players favor, yes. I can’t quote exactly, unfortunately.

      It is what the rules say, and it seems to work pretty well in practice.

      -Chris

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2011
        This is the way I understand it.  When a NPC attack a PC, even though it the PC that rolls hos dodge, its is still the NPCs attack that is being tested. So a overall result of zero is a Moderate Success for the NPC's attack (and not a Moderate Success on the PC's Dodge).

        Once again, examples in the rules would have helped.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: bblackmoor@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 03:54:30 +0000

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-02-03

      • eric troup
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
          When the villain attacks the hero, the player rolls and adds or subtracts the final total from whatever attribute or power level he's using to defend himself, and then compares that final number to the villain's attack ability or power.  So, a villain tries to hit a hero.  The villain has a Prowess of 4.  Our defending hero has a Prowess of 6.  Our hero's player rolls dice and rolls rather badly: a 2 on the positive die and a 6 on the negative.  Subtracting 6 from 2 leaves him with -4, so he subtracts 4 from his Prowess of 6, leaving him with a defense score of 2.  He zigged when he should've zagged, and because our nasty villain has a Prowess of 4, our hero's about to take some damage.

          The way I look at this whole players-rol-all-dice thing is this: I pretend there are no dice involved at all, and once I've figured out what numbers would be compared, I just have the player roll dice and add/subtract the total from whatever number is involved on his end.  Makes it much easier to avoid getting caught up in the whole who-rolls-what-when thing.

          Hope this helps.

          On 3 Feb 2011, at 19:54, Brandon wrote:

          Hello again. I have a question.

          I understand the process when a hero attacks a villain. The hero rolls against the villain's power or ability: if the roll equals or exceeds that target number, the hero succeeds.

          But what happens if the villain attacks the hero? The hero rolls... and then what? Does he villain hit if the hero's roll equals or lower than the villain's power or ability? Or does the villain miss if the hero rolls exactly the villain's ability? If so, wouldn't that mean that heroes hit 58% of the time, and villains miss 58% of the time (all things being equal)? That doesn't seem right....

          Thank you for your feedback.

          --
          bblackmoor@...
          2011-02-03

        • Brandon Blackmoor
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
            On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
            wrote:

            > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
            > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
            > Prowess of 6.

            What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
            successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?

            Kind regards,
            Brandon Blackmoor

            --
            bblackmoor@...
            2011-02-04
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
              > > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
              > > Prowess of 6.
              >

              > What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
              > successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?

              A result of zero or better is always a success for the hero, according to the Evading and Dodging rules (ICONS pgs. 57 & 58). So as someone else mentioned, in an even match heroes hit 58.33% of the time and villains miss 58.33% of the time.

              John

              John Powell
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                It's a hit.

                Bear in mind that that even though the PC is rolling the Dodge, this is a just a Reaction style action performed on the NPC's turn. What is being tested is NPC Action, his attack on the PC. And as such the result table of Fail, Moderate, Major and Massive Success is read from the NPC's point of view.

                Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.

                If you read result as a testing for the NPC's attack it is +5, a Massive Success with possible Stun or Kill.
                If you read this as a test of the PCS dodge it is a -5 which is just a simple Fail, no possible Stun or Kill.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                From: bblackmoor@...
                Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:33:15 -0500
                Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] when villains attack

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Not according to the RAW. It's a fine house rule though.

                  John

                  John Powell

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                    If that were true, does it mean that player characters never suffer from slams or stuns?

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: john@...
                    Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000
                    Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: when villains attack

                    Not according to the RAW. It's a fine house rule though.

                    John

                    John Powell

                    > It's a hit.
                    >
                    > Bear in mind that that even though the PC is rolling the Dodge, this is a just a Reaction style action performed on the NPC's turn. What is being tested is NPC Action, his attack on the PC. And as such the result table of Fail, Moderate, Major and Massive Success is read from the NPC's point of view.
                    >
                    > Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.
                    >
                    > If you read result as a testing for the NPC's attack it is +5, a Massive Success with possible Stun or Kill.
                    > If you read this as a test of the PCS dodge it is a -5 which is just a simple Fail, no possible Stun or Kill.
                    >

                    > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: bblackmoor@...
                    > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:33:15 -0500
                    > Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] when villains attack
                    >

                    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
                    > > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
                    > > Prowess of 6.
                    >
                    > What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
                    > successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?
                    >
                    > Kind regards,
                    > Brandon Blackmoor
                    >
                    > --
                    > bblackmoor@...
                    > 2011-02-04

                  • Brandon Blackmoor
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                      On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
                      wrote:

                      > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
                      > never suffer from slams or stuns?

                      That is what I was wondering.

                      Kind regards,
                      Brandon Blackmoor

                      --
                      bblackmoor@...
                      2011-02-04
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                        (ICONS, pg. 70)
                        Slamming
                        If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

                        Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

                        Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

                        Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

                        Stunning
                        If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

                        Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

                        Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

                        Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

                        ---------

                        Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

                        Hope this helps!

                        John Powell

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                          I think that is only half the story. Whether you Slam or Stun an opponent depends on the margin of success of the attack (as well as the attack doing at least 0 Stamina damage).

                          Quoting fromt he Bashing rules:

                          "Test Prowess against a difficulty of the target’s Prowess. On a failure, your attack misses. With a moderate
                          success, you deal the attack’s damage in Stamina. With a major success, you may slam the target.
                          With a massive success, you may stun the target"

                          Now if you don't you don't treat an NPC attack as the NPC's Prowess Test it is not longer possible for the NPC to score a Major or Massive successon the PC and hence you can't ever get a Slam or Stun.

                          Does that make sense?

                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                          From: john@...
                          Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

                          (ICONS, pg. 70)
                          Slamming
                          If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

                          Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

                          Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

                          Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

                          Stunning
                          If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

                          Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

                          Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

                          Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

                          ---------

                          Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

                          Hope this helps!

                          John Powell

                          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

                          > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
                          > > never suffer from slams or stuns?
                          >

                          > That is what I was wondering.
                          >

                          > Kind regards,
                          > Brandon Blackmoor
                          >
                          > --
                          > bblackmoor@...
                          > 2011-02-04

                        • Brandon Blackmoor
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                            Huh. The slamming and stunning question is actually on top of the
                            question of what happens when the hero rolls exactly the villain's
                            attacking ability. Even if a tie always goes to the hero, no matter who
                            is attacking, what determines slams and stuns?

                            How about if I add "Major Failure" (-3 to -4 effect) and "Massive
                            Failure" (-5 or worse effect) when a character is being attacked, and
                            use those for determining Slamming and Stunning of the hero?

                            Would that break or overcomplicate anything?

                            Kind regards,
                            Brandon Blackmoor

                            --
                            bblackmoor@...
                            2011-02-04
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                              When the villains/NPCs get major and massive successes are covered in the Evading and Dodging rules:

                              (ICONS pgs. 57 & 58)
                              Evading ®
                              You use your Prowess to evade attacks through a series of feints and maneuvers. Evading only works against Prowess and Strength attacks, not Coordination (ranged) attacks. Test Prowess against a difficulty of the attacker's ability level. With a success, the attack misses. On a failure, the attack hits; determine the effect and outcome from the margin of failure. For example, if you fail to evade an attack by 3 levels, the attacker achieves a major success against you.

                              Dodging ®
                              Dodging is the art of not being there when an attack arrives. Roll a Coordination test against the attacker's ability. With a success, the attack misses. On a failure, the attack hits; determine the effect and outcome from the margin of failure. For example, if you fail to dodge an attack by 3 levels, the attacker achieves a major success against you.

                              ----
                              If you fail by 3 or 4, then the attacker has a major success against you, and by extension if you fail by 5 or more, the attacker has a massive success against you.

                              Did that help?

                              John Powell

> [...]
                              >
                              > Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.
                              >
                              > Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.
                              >
                              > Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.
                              >
                              > ---------
                              >
                              > Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.
                              >
                              > Hope this helps!
                              >
                              > John Powell
                              >
                              > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters

                            • Brandon Blackmoor
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                                On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:51 +0000, "abesapiens" <john@...> wrote:

                                > If you fail by 3 or 4, then the attacker has a major
                                > success against you, and by extension if you fail by
                                > 5 or more, the attacker has a massive success against
                                > you. Did that help?

                                Yes!

                                New question: can you use Coordination to Dodge vs Strength and Prowess
                                attacks?

                                Kind regards,
                                Brandon Blackmoor

                                --
                                bblackmoor@...
                                2011-02-04
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                                  Yes, I see it now. I didn't think there was a margin of failure concept. Thanks for sorting that one out.

                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: john@...
                                  Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:51:23 +0000

> [...]

                                  > Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.
                                  >
                                  > Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.
                                  >
                                  > Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.
                                  >
                                  > ---------
                                  >
                                  > Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.
                                  >
                                  > Hope this helps!
                                  >
                                  > John Powell
                                  >
                                  > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters

                                • abesapiens
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 4, 2011
                                    Yes - Evading (Prowess) specifically mentions that it is ONLY good against Prowess and Strength attacks. Dodging (Coordination) only mentions attacks, so I take that to mean it is good against Prowess and Strength attack, as well as ranged attacks.

                                    John Powell

                                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

                                    > New question: can you use Coordination to Dodge vs Strength and Prowess
                                    > attacks?
                                    >

                                    > Kind regards,
                                    > Brandon Blackmoor
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > bblackmoor@...
                                    > 2011-02-04

                                  • eric troup
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                                      I don't remember what the rules say off the top of my head, and if my memory failed like that in the middle of a game, my judgment call would be to let the hero dodge on a tie (They are the heroes, after all).

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                                        On 4 Feb 2011, at 07:58, Soylent Green wrote:

                                        It's a hit.

                                        Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.

                                        Only snag there is that in the rules as written, NPCs don't roll anything, so rolling a +5 would be impossible.
                                      • eric troup
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                                          Not at all.  If a die result takes the PC number down enough so that the villain has scored a Moderate or Massive success, the PC would be slammed or stunned, just as the villain would be if the PC scored a Moderate or Massive success.

                                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: john@...
                                          Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000

                                          Not according to the RAW. It's a fine house rule though.

                                          John

                                          John Powell

                                          > It's a hit.
                                          >
                                          > Bear in mind that that even though the PC is rolling the Dodge, this is a just a Reaction style action performed on the NPC's turn. What is being tested is NPC Action, his attack on the PC. And as such the result table of Fail, Moderate, Major and Massive Success is read from the NPC's point of view.
                                          >
                                          > Consider this. Say PC and NPC have the same Prowess. The NPC rolls+5, the PC rolls zero.
                                          >
                                          > If you read result as a testing for the NPC's attack it is +5, a Massive Success with possible Stun or Kill.
                                          > If you read this as a test of the PCS dodge it is a -5 which is just a simple Fail, no possible Stun or Kill.
                                          >

                                          > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                          > From: bblackmoor@...
                                          > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:33:15 -0500
                                          > Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] when villains attack
                                          >

                                          > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:55 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > So, a villain tries to hit a hero. The villain
                                          > > has a Prowess of 4. Our defending hero has a
                                          > > Prowess of 6.
                                          >
                                          > What if the hero had rolled -2, for a total of 4? Would the hero
                                          > successfully dodge, or would the villain successfully hit?
                                          >
                                          > Kind regards,
                                          > Brandon Blackmoor
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > bblackmoor@...
                                          > 2011-02-04

                                        • eric troup

                                            From: john@...
                                            Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

                                            (ICONS, pg. 70)
                                            Slamming
                                            If an attack achieves a potential slam outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot slam a target.

                                            Failure sends the target flying out to the next range, typically from close to ranged. The target must spend next panel getting up and can perform no other action. If there's an obstacle along the way, and the attacker's damage is greater than the obstacle's material Strength (see Bending & Breaking, p. 60), the target is knocked through it. Otherwise the target hits the obstacle and stops.

                                            Moderate success knocks the target down. Getting back up is a supplemental action (for a –1 test penalty that page).

                                            Major or massive success means no effect from the slam.

                                            Stunning
                                            If an attack achieves a potential stun outcome and inflicts 0 or more Stamina damage to the target, test the target's Strength against the damage level. Attacks inflicting less than 0 damage cannot stun a target.

                                            Failure reduces the target's Stamina to 0 and renders the character unconscious.

                                            Moderate success stuns the target for 1 page, during which the character cannot take any actions.

                                            Major or massive success means no effect from the stun.

                                            ---------

                                            Since here the rules both specify "...test the target's Strength" I'd say zeroes go to the advantage of the target, whether that's a hero or villain, as apposed to the Evading and Dodging rules, which clearly advantage the hero.

                                            Hope this helps!

                                            John Powell

                                            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

                                            > On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:25 +0000, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > If that were true, does it mean that player characters
                                            > > never suffer from slams or stuns?
                                            >

                                            > That is what I was wondering.
                                            >

                                            > Kind regards,
                                            > Brandon Blackmoor
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > bblackmoor@...
                                            > 2011-02-04

                                          • eric troup

                                              From: john@...
                                              Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:36:55 +0000

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                                                "Not at all.  If a die result takes the PC number down enough so that the villain has scored a Moderate or Massive success, the PC would be slammed or stunned, just as the villain would be if the PC scored a Moderate or Massive success."

                                                That is what I though at as well. But done this was, 0 is still a Moderate Success.

                                                What Abe Sapiens pointed out in the Dodge rules  (on page 58) is that when NPCs attack PCs Slam or Stun is based on the PC's "margin of failure"

                                                So Effectively there shold be two result tables, one for PC Actions and one for PC Reactions. The Reaction table is just my best guess. The rules say the -3 or worse is a Major Failure so I'm guessing there is also a Massive Failure threshold.

                                                PC Actions
                                                0 -2 Moderatae Success
                                                3-4 Major Success
                                                5+ Massive Success

                                                PC Reactions
                                                0+ Success
                                                -1 to  -2 Moderate Failure
                                                -3  to -4 Major Failure
                                                -5 or less Massive Failure

                                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: yakkoman@...
                                                Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:00:26 -0800
                                                Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Re: when villains attack

                                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: john@...
                                                Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 6, 2011
                                                  I know, I meant to say the total effort for the NPC is 5 and the the total for the PC is 0 (-5 in total).
                                                  In any event all my objections from Friday withdrawn as as be has pretty much nailed where I was going wrong.

                                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com