Re: [icons-rpg] hello, and accessibility

  • eric troup
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hi.  First of all, thanks for caring if the character site is accessible in the first place. I must confess, I haven't yet had time to give it a good onceover.  This week is crazy busy.  But I wanted you to know I have received the message and will give it a look first chance I get.

      On 2 Feb 2011, at 20:16, Brandon wrote:

      If you are Eric Troup, please keep reading. Other people, do what seems best to you...

      Hi there! I just discovered Icons recently, as part of my quest to find a superhero game system that all of my friends could tolerate (long story). We've played one game so far, and I think I may have finally found a winner.

      Now, for Eric:

      I was reading the archives of this YahooGroup, and I saw you mention that you are blind. I was wondering if you might help me test something. Someone pointed out that my web-based Icons character sheets were not accessible to the visually impaired using screen readers because I use graphics for the power levels, so I spent this evening writing a script that parses a page, removes the clutter, and inserts numbers for the power levels. I was wondering if you might take a look at it and let me know if you have any suggestions, please.

      Normal wiki version:
      http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7

      Accessible version:
      http://www.westguard.org/icons_printable.php?character=Karen_7

      Thanks!

      --
      Brandon Blackmoor
      bblackmoor@...

    • Brandon Blackmoor
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
        I made a few changes. This is the new version of what I hope will be the
        accessible version of the character sheet template:

        http://www.westguard.org/icons_accessible.php?character=Karen_7

        And for comparison, the "fancy" version:

        http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7

        And just for completion's sake, the "printable" version:

        http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7&printable=yes

        Kind regards,
        Brandon Blackmoor

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-02-04
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
          On 2/4/2011 3:11 PM, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
          > I made a few changes. This is the new version of what I hope will be the
          > accessible version of the character sheet template:

          You rock! Glad to see someone doing such good things for others.
        • eric troup
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
            Hi. Sorry this took soooooo long; I was unexpectedly without internet for most of the week.

            Looks good, and is very readable. I do have one suggestion. Rather than say "Level 4 Prowess," why not just write "Prowess: 4"? It would maintain consistency with characters in the Icons adventures which are written without the little graphic thingies.

            Great work.  And thanks for doing it.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
              On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:23 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
              wrote:

              > Rather than say "Level 4 Prowess," why not just write
              > "Prowess: 4"?

              I assumed that "Level 4 Prowess" would be easier to understand for
              people with screen readers.

              But I have made the change as you have suggested.

              Kind regards,
              Brandon Blackmoor

              --
              bblackmoor@...
              2011-02-12
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2011
                Awesome. You are a wonderful human being, and should consider having yourself cloned for the betterment of mankind.