Re: [icons-rpg] Player-only game mechanics

  • eric troup
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      The way I've handled this is that when checking the player's damage against strength of villain or vice versa, in either case, the player rolls dice and adds/subtracts the result from whatever his part in the check is.  So, for instance, Diamond Joe's player smacks a villain with a punch which does 7 points of damage, and hits hard enough to warrant a slam check.  Diamond Joe's player rolls two dice.  Let's say he gets a 4 on the positive and a 3 on the negative.  He adds +1 to his total, making it 8 for purposes of the slam check.  If we switched it around and the villain hit Diamond Joe, Diamond Joe would still roll two dice; assuming he got the same results as above, he would add one to his Strength to compare it to the damage done by the villain for purposes of determining whether he gets Slammed.

      But you're right.  Even though I believe this is as intended by the rules, they certainly could've been written more clearly.

      On 1 Feb 2011, at 16:02, robert fv wrote:

      On this topic of play examples and rules confusion, I love the concept of "players make all the roles" but the rules are always written from the "normal" perspective of players act, NPCs defend, and ICONS falls into this too.

      The Big Example: PCs deal damage to villain. Rules state that when you're hit, you check for slam/stun by making a Strength check against the damage. But...but...the players are supposed to determine this, aren't they? So...
      a) do we reverse that mechanical conflict, and have the player make a "damage check" against the villain's Strength, or
      b) does the GM roll the villain's Strength check?

      I don't mind either way, but as written, the rules do NOT cover this situation adequately in the spirit of "players make all the roles."

      I always had the same problem with Marvel SAGA, and my ruling was that I'd handle the NPCs' defense checks, just to keep it simple and expedient, unless it was the big showdown or a very dramatic scene, then I'd reverse it and let the player play cards for the action.

      Robert

      Howling in the Dark http://spookable.blogspot.com/