Question about area effect combat

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
      So we played our first session of Icons and it was fun. (You can get one player's summary on LiveJournal here: http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/2836897.html )

      But something that came up and I glossed over is area effect attacks, either simply area or explosive. On a quick search of the rules last night we didn't find anything and today I didn't find anything on an extremely fast search of the PDF.

      So how do you usually handle explosions or area effect things? Just check the defenses for everyone in the area? Or am I misinterpreting something that is in the rules, I just searched with the wrong keyword?

      Thanks.

      John McMullen (Young old coot)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
        I'd say you model an explosion on the Blast Power - Explosive Blast bonus power (pg.49).

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
          I guess I was hoping for a little more detail on how the explosive blast works.

          But I think I'll go with to-hit roll affects area, not individuals in the area, who are all affected unless they retcon ("Thank goodness this dumpster shielded us!") or have appropriate powers or qualities ("She' is immune to radiation blasts, and he is well-known to be nigh-invulnerable!").

          And if it's an actual explosion--decreasing with effectiveness over range-- I'll leave the option of declaring that everybody Near the point of origin takes the full blast and everybody out to Close takes half (round down). That's extra paperwork, so it's optional: You have to declare that your power works like that.

          But one of the things I like about ICONS over, say, PDQ (because I also adore Jaws of the Six Serpents), is that you have more tactical options.

          John McMullen (Young old coot)
          jhmcmullen@...

          I'd say you model an explosion on the Blast Power - Explosive Blast bonus power (pg.49).

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
            Don't forget the to determine if it counts as bashing or slashing attack.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com