RE: [icons-rpg] slashing, explosives, and tear gas

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011

      Slashing attacks can potentially Stun or Kill on a Major or Massive success respectively whereas Bashing attacks can potentially Slam or Stun. Depending on teh style of thegame some players might see the chance of a one-shot kill is more interesting than grinding down an opponent with Stamina damage.

      I imagine an explosion is just an area blast effect of whatever intensity you see fit (4 or 5 or even 6?). I'd treat it as Bashing for cinematic effect; it's more fun to see people sent flying away from for force fo the explosion than cut apart from shrapnel.

      I think I'd treat tear gas as an attack as doing no Stamina damage but requiring a Strength Test for the following results:  no effect on a Massive or Major success, a -1 penality on a Moderate success (which is roughly equivalent of a Slam) and Stun on a Failure. Or something on those lines. If I really felt ambitious I might have the player roll the Stength test each page but reduce the difficulty of the Strength Test each page as the gas dissipates.

      Having said that I see nothing wrong with you suggest and taking a more Fate like approach with Aspects. Using Fate style Aspects opens up all sorts of possibilities.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: rlyon@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 02:02:11 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] slashing, explosives, and tear gas

      Allright, a few more questions (and thanks for the earlier answers)

      Why, if someone has a strength of 7, would they even want to use a slashing attack of 4, say? It makes no sense to me.

      How do you handle explosions?

      Tear gas? (If I had to wing tear gas, I would do a Fate aspect on it - a successful use against strength puts a "gassed" aspect on them that you can tag for a few rounds).

      Thanks!

    • the_bronze_rat
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
        I figured out the Slashing attacks thing. Its a result of the lack of an endurance stat. Take the Nazi werewolves, with stats of Prowess 6, Co ordination 7, Strength 7, Claws: 4, or something really similar.

        What type of werewolf doesn't use its claws? Virtually none. So what those stats reflect is that the damage for the wolf is 4, but for breaking down doors, resisting slams, stuns, etc its stat is a 7.

        I might, eventually, add in an endurance stat. Its something to keep an eye on.

        That is how I figured explosions would work. Genre rules could determine whether damage was blasting, or killing in effect.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011

          I don't think the lack of an endurance attribute is the issue. I think the conceptual problem is that in your example is that the character's strength (7 is clearly superhuman) is in this case vastly superior to the strength of his claws (4 is pretty average). If this character were to use his full strength to claw someone he'd probably injure his claws in the process ("Oh darn, a borken a nail!"). The claws could be used for finesse (to cut through rope or glass) or to slash a throat with a lucky shot (a kill result on a Massive margin of success), but it doesn't quite work for the werewolf that savages his foes with his claws concept.

          To do a classic werewolf NPC properly you'd want the Strength of the character and the Strength of his claws to be much closer to each other. If you rolled a character like this then I think you either take the view that the claws are not so much weapons as an extra tool or you can discuss this with the GM and jiggle the numbers around a bit. I'm firm believer in random generation with tweaks approach.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: rlyon@...
          Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:29:00 +0000
          Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: slashing, explosives, and tear gas

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
            It depends on what you want. Those werewolf stats were from Vigilance Presses module "Ice Palace". They have a tougher werewolf with str 8, claws 5. The purpose of these is to be enhanced minions - tougher than your average mook to put down (by far), but still not actively and incredibly "dangerous". For that, breaking the damage stat free from the toughness works nicely.

            It would also work for those hero's who are tougher than they are strong, and for which invulnerability doesn't work that well. Like Wolverine (Though Wolvie isn't extreme enough that you couldn't model him with just a couple of AP's of invulnerability).