Rushing question, and quality as well

  • the_bronze_rat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2011
      So, Rushing - page 63, I think. I don't see where it would be advantageous to ever use. Am I missing something? Mind, I've used it in a sample combat or two, for flavor.

      Can a single thing be both a quality, and a challenge? I'm thinking of "Gorilla". The very first character I've rolled up is Brul, Gorilla god of strength. And I can see Gorilla being both useful (intimidation) and ..... not (Eiiiiii - there is a gorilla loose!)
    • Mike Olson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2011
        Both Qualities and Challenges can be compelled, so yeah, give it to him as a Quality. There is literally no reason to ever give any character a Challenge. It's a totally artificial division of aspects that's there purely for people who are confused about the double-edged-swordness of aspects (at least, that's why Steve differentiated between them, according to Steve). But that's the main strength of aspects in the first place: They make it elegantly possible for every narrative advantage also be a narrative disadvantage, instead of the standard Advantage/Disadvantage split. (This is most evident, IMO, in Hero, where you can by Reputation as a Perk and also take the same Reputation as a Disad.)

        --Mike

        On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, the_bronze_rat <rlyon@...> wrote:
        So, Rushing - page 63, I think. I don't see where it would be advantageous to ever use. Am I missing something? Mind, I've used it in a sample combat or two, for flavor.

        Can a single thing be both a quality, and a challenge? I'm thinking of "Gorilla". The very first character I've rolled up is Brul, Gorilla god of strength. And I can see Gorilla being both useful (intimidation) and ..... not (Eiiiiii - there is a gorilla loose!)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
           icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2011
          Rushing is technically a Strength based attack but as it is limited by Prowess, the benefits of Rushing over Bashing are questionable.

          My interpretation is that Rushing isn't subject to the -1 Supplimental Action penalty (pg 54) movement normally carries. Normally if you close in to a foe and hit him in the same panel you'd have to take a -1 to Prowess. Provided your Strenght was better or equal to your Prowess,  Rushing   would be a marginally better option.

          Unfortunately I often forget Supplimental Action rule during play so it's all rather academic.

          As for your second question, Qualities can be double edged swords and as such can be used against you as in your example.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: rlyon@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 04:21:24 +0000
          Subject: [icons-rpg] Rushing question, and quality as well