Re: [icons-rpg] Weird Campaign Idea Confessions

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2010
      I like this concept. It's interesting to see games started prior to WWII. I hope when you flesh it out more, you'll post character stats.

      As a tangent, in the rpg Brave New World (yeah, I know most people don't like it), the first super was actually an American soldier who gained the power to turn intangible during WWI.
    • Kurt McCoy
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2010
        Don't get me wrong! I'm no fan of the late, not-so-lamented Soviet Union! I just like running games from radically different viewpoints--when I can get away with it.
        'Sides, I find Soviet art and propaganda iconography fascinating--and I do think we in the West tend to underestimate or undervalue the role the Soviets played in defeating Nazi Germany. Hitler was beaten on the Eastern Front. The Western Front just sealed the deal.

        The US, seen from a Sioux or a Mexican historical perspective--doesn't look particularly "heroic"l. I think it does folks good to get outside of their normal cultural identities and take a look at things from a different perspective.

        More importantly, though, I just like the creative challenge of presenting that different perspective in a fun and entertaining way for my players. Doesn't always work, but more often than not they walk away with the feeling that they got something more than the usual rpg experience.
        That's what keeps me in the games after more than thirty years of GMing!

        By the way, I'd love to hear more about that action figure game. Sort of "Toy Story #" with super powers. cool.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2010
          I'm hoping to get stats for a number of characters in the nearish future. Probably will do a folder for the campaign. Right now I've got:

          For the Reds:

          Red Verdun: the casualty-constructed Frankenstein
          New Soviet Man: a "perfect" product of the Revolution --all 6's in physical stats, 3's in the others
          Volga-Guard: A female river troll--protecting the river gunboat fleets
          Red Sabre: Leader of the Red Cavalry units
          The Steel Commissar: armored--bulltet proof soldier with Emotion Control for rallying the troops

          I dropped the idea of "The Marx Man" as a super-sniper. Just too corny a pun to try to get away with.

          For the Whites:

          White Cossack: an albino white cossack warrior with Duplication 10 and a mystic glass sword. (got his powers while investigating/looting an ancient palace in the Caucases. Found himself in a mirror maze trap--when he shattered the mirrors in frustration and anger, the images came out as solid duplicates and merged into him. He carries a sword made from the shards as a means of controlling his many "other selves". Same experience drained the color from his body.

          Tsarina: A young woman with a palace guard uniform, a bulletproof jewelled corset, a veil or full face mask of gems with dead white, cold flesh. Some believe she is one of the Tsar's daughters who survived the massacre at Ekaterinburg. Others think she is a member of the all female palace guard that protected the Tsarina & daughters--(there was such a unit--and they were among the best trained and best armed elite warriors in the Empire!)--driven mad by her failure to protect the royal family. Regardless, she's bulletproof and blindingly bright during the day.

          Vodyanoy: A tyrannical river/sea troll--the opposite number of Volga.

          Alma: A female hairy hominid captured by locals and recruited for her superhuman strength and hardiness. (there are actual stories of such beings in the area--accounts of one or more being captured and held by villagers). Her exploits are among the secret influences for the hybridizing research that will later spawn Sovi-Ape.

          I like this concept. It's interesting to see games started prior to WWII. I hope when you flesh it out more, you'll post character stats.

          As a tangent, in the rpg Brave New World (yeah, I know most people don't like it), the first super was actually an American soldier who gained the power to turn intangible during WWI.

        • Michael Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2010

            > As a tangent, in the rpg Brave New World (yeah, I know most people don't like it), the first super was actually an American soldier who gained the power to turn intangible during WWI.

            Brave New World was one of the most interesting and origional superhero RPGs ever done. Lousy system, but great background.