6046Re: [icons-rpg] Help me Grok Fast Attack please

  • Chris Heard
    Jul 18, 2014
      On Jul 15, 2014, at 5:14 PM, John McMullen jhmcmullen@... [icons-rpg] <icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Something I was wondering about is, what was broken about the first version? I don't have a lot of experience with Fast Attack, so I never ran into anything.

      I can't speak for Steve, of course, but I can reflect on the implications of the change.

      In Classic ICONS, certain levels of Fast Attack were basically irrelevant. There was no point in having Fast Attack at any level other than 1, 6, or 8 (because Fast Attack 5 gave the same benefit as Fast Attack 1, and so on).

      In Icons Assembled, every level of Fast Attack matters. Having Fast Attack 5 is now significantly different from having Fast Attack 1. I think this is a positive change.

      Also, please note that the actual wording of the Fast Attack power is more flexible than the example on p. 97 of ICONS Assembled might imply. "Fast Attack allows you to attack more than once per action, dividing your Fast Attack level into additional attack tests, up to your level with that attack." In the example given, Speed Demon has Prowess 4, Coordination 6, and Fast Attack 8, and the two example applications have him maxing out his second attack, for three Prowess attacks at 4/4/4 or three Coordination attacks at 6/6/2. But by the actual rule, the extra attacks can go "up to your level with that attack." In other words, per RAW, the character's attack ability sets a maximum on the extra attack(s) granted by Fast Attack, but not a minimum. Speed Demon could also make four Prowess attacks at 4/3/3/2 or three Coordination attacks at 6/4/4, if you go by RAW and don't take the example as a rule.

      Chris Heard
      Heroes Zone Blog (and Podcast, coming soon)
      http://heroes.zone
      ><> ב״ה

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic