      From: Soylent Green <gsoylent@...>
      To: icons group <icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:34 AM
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Rescues and Consequences

      This was prompted by reading the Cold War Conundrum adventure, but really it applies to all sorts of adventures in which the heroes are called to rescue people from natural or no so natural disasters.

      At the very start of the Cold War Conundrum the reader is presented with a large number of rescue challenges for the characters. Without going into the details the is a pile-up on a bridge with various complications and civilians in mortal peril like a motorist trapped in a flaming wreckage.

      The scenario states difficulties for the Test to rescue the motorist.  It doesn't really explain what happens if test fails.

      From a player agency perspective it is important that there be consequences for a failed test. If the motorist is going to be rescued anyway, regardless of whether the test succeeds or fails, then what is the point of the test?

      From a genre emulation point of view, well that's a bit of a can of worms, but generally heroes succeed in save the civilians. It may take a few tries and there may be a lot of grunting, possibly even a flashback involved but the final outcome is rarely in doubt. When the do fail, it is usually an important plot point, the sort of event that triggered Marvel's Civil War.

      So the real cost of failure, assuming one cares for both player agency and genre emulation,  is likely to be a complication.  If the final outcome is not seriously in doubt every failed attempt at the rescue should cost the character something otherwise, as stated above, what is the point of rolling for the test?

      Some example costs for a failed can include things like Stamina (the character suffers fatigue, loss of confidence or actual damage) Determination (as per the Determined Effort rule) or just time (each page the character is tied in resucing a specific civilian is a page he is not doing something else).

      Note however, in largely abstract scenes time does not usually doesn't really matter all that much. If the GM just keeps throwing challenges to the character until they've had enough, then it hardly matters if your character heroically saved 1 or 12 civillians. If on the other hand your character is trying to rescue a civilian while the rest of the team are fighting a big bad guy, then clearly the sooner the characters succeeds in his rescue the sooner he can help his teammates.

      Maybe this is all very obvious, but this is the sort of thinking and extra value, I'd like to see in published adventures.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic