5079RE: [icons-rpg] ICONS actual play session on the Bamfcast

    May 6 1:32 AM
      I'm not in a habit of listening to podcasts but as I may be running this scenario soon I figured I'd give it a shot.

      The best part for me was Dark Pharaoh's defeat monologue at the end of the scenario. That was just priceless!
      From a GM it was useful in it highlighted the complications of running scenes with crowds and lots of minions and lot#s of things happening. In the opening scene you have a lot of civilians on the beach and good number of zombies. Unless you are using miniatures (which have their own problems) it's hard for the player to keep track of how many zombies are left and where the greatest danger or most urgent need is to be found. I think when I come to running this I need to be very disciplined at the start of each page and  recap the situation.

      Another couple of points of interest.   It confirms my experiences, both running and playing the game, about on how the rules get a little mangled in actual play. Specifically:

      Nobody, but nobody uses the -1 penalty for movement rule. It's one of those rules that is easily forgotten I guess feels unnatural and in the same spirit of the rest of the rules. I only really apply it the character is getting up from a knockdown or if they are really pushing in in terms of how complicated a move they want to make.

      Also nobody uses the Stunt rules as written. They don't enforce the invoke a Quality bit nor do they make separate test to activate it and another to apply it, the just pay the DP cost and and make a test to apply its affect. To be honest I never used the test to activate a Stunt as usually when players come up Stunt ideas they are usually pretty cool ideas  that really add flavour to the adventure, the last thing I want to do is see it fizzle. Of course if the Stunt is also an attack I expect them to make a normal attack roll.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: dirkgentry2000@...
      Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 04:24:44 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] ICONS actual play session on the Bamfcast

      Stacey Montgomery (aka Princess Stacey on rpg.net) stops to run an ICONS session for us. The adventure is Aquazombies of the Kriegsmarine

      Chris Tavares, Adrian Smith and yours truly (Mike Lafferty) are the players.

      This sessions gave us a chance to highlight the Dream Control and Probability Control powers

      You can check out the podcast here: http://mikelaff.podbean.com/2013/05/01/icons-actual-play-aquazombies/

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic