4963Re: [icons-rpg] Never Run Supers

    Mar 16, 2013
      On 3/16/2013 2:08 PM, Soylent Green wrote:
      A few years back I was in the same boat; I wanted to run a supers game  but I could not see how to structure it without it falling into a villain of the week rut. But, thanks also to advice and encouragement from Tim "Silverlion" I did take the plunge and I am so glad I did. Years later I can confidently claim the superhero gaming is the prince of roleplaying; it's so much fun and such a natural fit.

      The common thing about superhero adventures is that superheroes tend to be reactive. In a lot of games it's the PCs who have a goal (strip the dungeon of anything of value) and it's the NPCs role to stop them (the monsters who happen to live in said dungeon and would rather hang on to their stuff). In a superhero game it's usually the other way round; the super-villain NPCs have goals (dastardly goal like stripping the city of anything of value) and this time it's the PC's job is to stop them.

      From a structural point of view that makes superhero adventures more like horror investigation adventures for games such as Call of Cthulhu which are also normally about preventing something bad happening.

      For me preparing a supers game all starts with super-villain's master plan. Looking at the plan from the super-villain's point of view I find helps. Give him some sort of complex goal, something which possibly involves multiple stages and possibly, if appropriate, have his henchmen (super and not) deal with these. For instance if the villain is building a doomsday device he may ne

      Listen to this man. He is brilliant, this "Soylent Green" chap.

      In fact its a good idea, to pretend to be the villain as if you were a player character--temporarily while starting up your villains master plan. Think like a PC, decide what your villain wants, and how he needs to go about it. What tools does he need, what devices? Does he have minions or robots to do it or will he be building those first?  Have your villain take his first step, make sure it gets noticed by someone. Then let that information get back to the PC's through their jobs, through there friends/allies/coworkers what have you, then let them investigate, or make a plan to stop further events in the chain. They might fail the first one and that's alright, just make sure there are enough steps that they can try and stop the villain a couple times before he or she completes their plan.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic