4439Re: [icons-rpg] Batting around a campaign idea: young heroes

    Sep 5, 2012
      I'll repeat: I've scheduled running a thing on Roll20 for Sept 22. I have had zero responses so far, which might indicate a lack of interest.

      Let me know if you're interested and it's just a bad time for you; currently I have no problem rescheduling it, because there's no one to object.

      From: Soylent Green <gsoylent@...>
      To: icons group <icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:21 AM
      Subject: RE: [icons-rpg] Batting around a campaign idea: young heroes

      Yes, altering the rank of powers with age makes sense. You might need to look at the raw traits too because things like Strength 7 are a effectively a superpower too.

      The other thing that strikes me, from a more setting point of view, is that if you know you are going to lose your powers you'll probably want to maintain a secret identity.

      Also, part of the reason why I'm not posting much is that's it's been a slow Summer roleplaying-wise and since my Icons campaign ended I've not the chance to play Icons at all. My gaming should pick up now though it will be a while before it my turn to GM again.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: jhmcmullen@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 04:56:50 -0700

      The list has been quiet, what with Gen Con and the return to school and everyone waiting for Team-Up. So I had an idea this morning and I'm curious what the repercussions would be.

      The idea is this: Superpowers show up at puberty, ramp up for a year or two, and then start declining over the next six or seven years until they're gone. So: They come in at puberty, peak soon, and by 19-21 are gone.

      How does that affect things? Let's assume that the powers are fairly common: one kid in 100,00: Pittsburgh has a few, my home town of Kitchener-Waterloo has one or two.

      What does that do to the balance of power? Heck, how do you maintain order over them in the most volatile time of their lives?

      Depending on the reason (I have no idea what the reason is, yet), there might be a mysterious figure who has kept powers well into his or her twenties or thirties (or even a Cabal of superpowered adults who don't fight crime, they take care of superpowered teenagers).

      From a worldbuilding perspective, there are two ways to go: a cabal of adults who still have powers, or two or fewer. I want maximum damage..er, entertainment value...so I'll say there's a two-adult limit on powers (even one good, one bad).

      From a game perspective, what would you do mechanically? Aspects specified? Power levels can vary, of course.