3856RE: [icons-rpg] Golden Age Superman

  • Michael Hopcroft
    May 1, 2012

      For a long time I’ve wanted to build a character based on the three core Superman traits and only those powers that logically extend from them, without much power creep. We all know what they are – faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap “tall buildings” in “a single bound”. (I don’t know whether those descriptions originated with Max Fleischer or with the radio writers, though). In other games I try to use that as the benchmark for his stats – if locomotives are this strong he has to have this much of the strength attribute to be stronger than one, and so on.

      Icons, of course, has an entirely different focus, so I’m thinking here about what he does as opposed to what his character sheet would look like.

      It follows that someone stronger than a locomotive would be pretty tough. It might not follow that he’s bulletproof. The ability to leap prodigiously doesn’t necessarily lead to being able to survive unprotected in space. None of those three say anything about enhanced normal senses, much less completely new ones.

      The character can’t simply take off and fly. He has to know where he’s going to land and have a clear trajectory of how to get there. If something happens to knock him off-course he has no control of where he ends up.

      He probably doesn’t bounce bullets, but he might well be fast enough to dodge or even catch them, with completely different effects on a situation. He can’t interpose himself between someone and a set of gunmen without any consequences to himself.

      And so on….