      True, but that didn't modify hero ability scores much.

      The 10-point Feeble to Unearthly scale was still reserved for player characters ability scores, which included all the main marvel heroes, so in the advanced rules, Hulk's Strength is still 9 (Monstrous), Thor's Prowess is still 10, etc.

      Sometimes characters could push into the "shift" ranks temporarily- I think Hulk's Strength could go beyond Unearthly temporarily, for example, which would put him above 10 in ICONS terms, still FASERIP ranks track the 10 point scale well enough that I've used it to give players who are familiar with comics an idea of what their ability scores mean.

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM, <emu2020@...> wrote:

      Depends on what version of MSH you are looking at. Remember, that later on you end up with six ranks beyond, Unearthly (10), seven if you count the "Beyond" stat.

      -Eli

      From: "Michael Hopcroft" <mhopcroft@...>

      Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:01:17 AM
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] How powerful is an 8?

      On 7/5/2011 2:03 AM, Charles Rice wrote:

      If I can fall back on comparing ICONS 10-rank ability/power scores with Marvel FASERIP (which also used a 10 rank scale), 8 would be "amazing".

      So: Spider-Man's Coordination; Black Panther's Prowess; Iron Man's Invulnerability; Ms Marvel's Strength; Vision's Strength; Captain Marvel's Awareness

      (yes, I grabbed Avengers Coast to Coast to grab some random stats)

      By contrast, Iron Man's Invulnerability in his gold armor is listed at a 6 in ICONS terms.

      I'm wondering how that applies to Intellect. I recall saying earlier that I assumed Reed Richards would be a 10. Now I'm wondering if I should revise that sentiment, not having seen the FASERIP system in a while. I'm wondering whether the 10 should be left to the nigh-omniscient cosmic entities like the Watcher or Anti-Monitor. Would 8 be as smart as, say, Richards, Doctor Doom  or Lex Luthor?

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic