2076Re: [icons-rpg] How powerful is an 8?

  • Charles Rice
    Jul 5, 2011
      Also, again using FASERIP's 10 ranks, which I think align pretty directly with ICONS, Thing and Hulk would have 9 Strengths, while Superman would (this is me guessing), surpass them both with a 10.

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Charles Rice <rpgchuck@...> wrote:
      If I can fall back on comparing ICONS 10-rank ability/power scores with Marvel FASERIP (which also used a 10 rank scale), 8 would be "amazing".

      So: Spider-Man's Coordination; Black Panther's Prowess; Iron Man's Invulnerability; Ms Marvel's Strength; Vision's Strength; Captain Marvel's Awareness

      (yes, I grabbed Avengers Coast to Coast to grab some random stats)

      By contrast, Iron Man's Invulnerability in his gold armor is listed at a 6 in ICONS terms.

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      As I mentioned on RPGNet, strictly using Icons own benhcmarks  with Strength 8 you can lift a jet or train or bend a 2 inch think bar of steel. It is also the strength of a tyrannosaurus or a giant squid.

      A more practical measure is simply to say that 8 is high-end superhuman which means you can try anything strength feat short of the absurd cosmic shifting planets stuff. I mean it's not like comicbook represent a heroes' powers consitently anyway.

      The important thing is that 8 is greater than 7 but less than 9 which matters mostly when you are facing another super-strong superhero.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: mhopcroft@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:38:00 -0700
      Subject: [icons-rpg] How powerful is an 8?

      I just submitted my two characters to Hero Pack 3 and have had their
      entries confirmed, so I'll be adding a couple of characters to the Icon
      universe. An interesting thing is that both characters have an Ability
      value of 8, in different abilities. So I'm wondering just what that
      means, as I'm still not used to ICONS' 1-10 scale that maxes out at 10.

      It's obvious that for Strength a 10 would be someone on the order of
      Superman, Thor or the Hulk. So what does an 8 mean in comparison?

      Likewise, Intellect 10 would be someone like Reed Richards. What's an 8?

      The question is whether these abilities are high enough to do what I
      want these characters to be able to do, particularly the Intellect of
      one particular character who has Wizardry/Gadgets at the same level.
      Would these characters need a boost to fulfill their story function?

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic