Re: a question for the musicians

  • JD Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
      I think that when a person who feels the music naturally they make a
      better musician than a schooled one who reads music..Nothing wrong
      with either but from experience as a self taught,doesnt read music
      musician/guitarist who is ear trained as well, I have intimidated a
      few schooled musicians in my travels..They might play the exact
      note,hard riffs,ect but catching the right feel for the
      song,lick,exercise is where its at..You gotta "feel"the music..Just
      grab the instrument and make love to it,get to know it and it will
      treat you right..lol..--- In icedmetal@yahoogroups.com, "Audrey"
      <Mystic_Sphinx@j...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I was thinking about an interview that I had read a long time
      ago
      > about a musician who could sing, songwrite, but couldn't read
      music.
      > To the musicians out there, is it possible to be able to play music
      > without being able to read notes (musical chords and the such)?
      > Seeing that "technique" is supposed to be the most important thing,
      > just find it very hard for a musician to just play something
      without
      > knowing what in the world they're playing. And for songwriters,
      how
      > can one write a song if they don't know how to read music? I just
      > feel that if one can read music, then they can have an
      understanding
      > of what their playing...anyway. Again, seeing that "technique" is
      so
      > important, how can one play a song if they don't know how to read
      > music?
      >
      > Audrey
      > =still loves the creative side of music (even tho I'm no longer
      > writing creatively)=
    • barrett_2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
        I agree, James and J.D. did a wonderful job replying here. I myself
        neither know how to read nor write music, besides tabs anyways, hehe.
        I feel that being schooled in how to write music limits the
        imagination. It sets guidelines to follow, like a speed limit. We can
        all go 100 miles an hour (Well, most of us :P) yet we don't. We don't
        because we are told we have to go 65 or whatever. Its the same with
        music. You are told to play a certain way and thats how people think
        to play. Fortunantly in music it is legal to not be trained :P Take
        for instance Arjen Lucasson... He has never learned to play an
        instrument in his life yet his music is phenomenal. There are many
        musicians who are insane musicians that don't even know how to wright
        the music down. The dude from Opeth is another example. Well, I hope
        these posts helped ya out!

        Barrett

        --- In icedmetal@yahoogroups.com, "JD Bradshaw" <SIXSTRINGFEVER@Y...>