Aerosmith, Megadeth and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2013
      AEROSMITH has canceled its two previously scheduled festival gigs in the Far East — Wednesday, August 21 in Shanghai and Saturday, August 24 in Taipei — due to the local promoters' failure to "meet contractual obligations."
      AEROSMITH was supposed to make its Chinese live debut at the outdoor Shanghai Hongkou Stadium. The venue has a capacity of 25,000 people.
      "We are extremely upset to have disappointed our dedicated fans," says AEROSMITH singer Steven Tyler in a statement. "They have welcomed us into their country, and due to uncontrollable circumstances, we will not be able to perform. We were so excited to share our music with them and look forward to one day returning and giving them the show they deserve."
      "We're disappointed as we wanted to play for our fans," added AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry. "We've looked forward to this for a lifetime."
      "It's always been a dream of ours to play in Shanghai and Taipei, and meet our fans there," said AEROSMITH bassist Tom Hamilton says. "We were really looking forward to visiting Shanghai and Taipei and playing for our fans there and are very disappointed that these two shows have been cancelled."
      "I'm disappointed we weren't able to play for our fans in China. However, the circumstances were beyond our control," stated AEROSMITH drummer Joey Kramer. "I sincerely hope AEROSMITH will get another opportunity to come back to Shanghai and Taiwan to play for our many fans there."
      Back in May, AEROSMITH a concert in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta due to reports of a bomb threat at the Myanmar Embassy.
      AEROSMITH's latest album, "Music From Another Dimension!", was released on November 6, 2012, and debuted at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 chart, selling 63,000 copies in its first week of release.
      http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/aerosmithshanghai2013.jpg

      Lewis and Floorwax of Denver, Colorado's classic rock radio station 103.5 The Fox recently conducted an interview with MEGADETH's Dave Mustaine (guitar, vocals) and David Ellefson (bass). You can now listen to the chat below.
      Asked how he first decided to become the lead singer in MEGADETH, Mustaine said: "Well, my pal here, Dave, and I were auditioning guys and we kind of ran out of patience. The last guy that auditioned as a vocalist came — and we were homeless at the time — and the guy rolled up with a 12-pack of beer, and we thought, 'Great!' Then we got a closer look at him and he had eyeliner on. And we figured, 'As soon as the last beer was down, he was out of the band.' It was New Year's Eve one night, and David just goes , 'Man, why don't you sing?' and I was like, 'Why don't you?' So I ended up doing it, and it stuck. I actually enjoy it a lot of times, but it's not my strong point. I've been working really hard at it the last few years. I wish I would have given it as much attention in the beginning as I do now… It's definitely a unique voice sound. You know, you hear people like Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES] or myself or [James] Hetfield [METALLICA] or some of the other people that are really easily identifiable, it's scarce. Like Chris Cornell [SOUNDGARDEN], you hear Chris, you know it's him."
      MEGADETH has just completed its run as the headliner of this year's edition of Gigantour, the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by Mustaine.
      In addition to MEGADETH, this year's installment of Gigantour featured BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, DEVICE, HELLYEAH, NEWSTED and DEATH DIVISION.
      MEGADETH's latest album, "Super Collider", has sold 61,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It marks MEGADETH's first release since the band's split with Roadrunner Records.
      MEGADETH filmed a video for the "Super Collider" title track on May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
      "That song kind of came from that 'Symphony Of Destruction' corner of my mind," Mustaine told Guitar World magazine. "You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns."

      Kory Grow of City Pages Minneapolis recently conducted an interview with Glenn Danzig. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.
      City Pages Minneapolis: You mentioned that [the DANZIG song] "Mother" was about the PMRC [Parents Music Resource Center; the American committee formed in 1985 with the stated goal of increasing parental control over the access of children to music deemed to be violent, have drug use or be sexual via labeling albums with Parental Advisory stickers]. Were they a problem for you specifically?
      Danzig: Yeah, you know, Al Gore [Senator and later Vice President, who was then married to Tipper Gore, co-founder of the PMRC] wanted to tell people what they could listen to and what they couldn't, what they could record. It was basically coming down to the idea that he wouldn't let anybody record any music that he didn't think you should be doing. There was going to be an organization that would tell you what you could and couldn't record. And certainly if you couldn't record it, you couldn't put it out. It was really fascist. My view on Democrats is that they're fascists disguised as liberals, or liberal moderates. You're not allowed to say anything that they don't agree with. You're not allowed to do anything. Also, the whole Obama, "I can kill anybody with a drone with no trial," is kind of disturbing. I'm surprised that more people who are supposedly liberal aren't more disturbed by it. I think whatever Obama does is OK with them, because he's Obama. It's bullshit. It's the same thing with the PMRC telling you, "Bands can go on trial for their music." What's next, Wagner is going to get arrested? What? He's dead. [laughs]
      City Pages Minneapolis: When is the covers album you've been working on coming out?
      Danzig: It's done. I'm just waiting for my new deal for it to come out. I'm hoping for late fall. But we'll see.
      City Pages Minneapolis: How did you get together with [THE RUNAWAYS'] Cherie Currie?
      Danzig: I recorded "Some Velvet Morning" with her. These managers that I fired wanted me to use some hip, new dorky chick. I was like, "No." And they were like, "Who were you thinking about?" And I was thinking of Cherie Currie. They were like, "What? No. No." I was like, "Yeah, it'll be cool." And of course they were so wrong, and I was so right. [Laughs] She's got a great voice. And you know her history. She's really easy to work with and really excited. It was great. She's playing with me here in L.A. at the Universal Amphitheater. Gibson bought the rights to the name a while ago. We've played there a bunch, and they wanted us to play the last week before it got torn down for a Harry Potter ride. She went crazy when I asked her to do it and said, "Yeah, I've always wanted to play there. I never have." It's where she first saw David Bowie when she was 14 and it made her want to be a singer. And she's just so excited, it's great. I love that venue. It's one of my favorite places to play.
      City Pages Minneapolis: Your covers album also contains a BLACK SABBATH cover. Which song did you choose?
      Danzig: "N.I.B." I did an arrangement for it, back when [the 1994 BLACK SABBATH tribute album] "Nativity In Black" came out, and they couldn't work out a deal with [American Recordings head honcho] Rick [Rubin]. I think they wanted singles rights and he wouldn't give it to them. So I did an arrangement for "N.I.B.", and for this album I retooled it and showed it to Tommy [Victor, guitar] and Johnny [Kelly, drums] and we did it.
      Long-running U.S. metallers RIOT will release an as-yet-untitled new album in 2014 via SPV/Steamhammer (in North America and Europe) and Avalon/Marquee (Asia). The band will enter the studio in December to begin recording its first studio CD without guitarist and founding member Mark Reale, who died in January 2012 in a San Antonio hospital due to complications of Crohn's disease — an ailment he had battled for most of his life. He was 56 years old.
      Although no decision has yet been made in the matter, RIOT bassist Donnie Van Stavern has revealed that the group's new album may be issued under a different band name — presumably in recognition of the fact that Reale was RIOT's only remaining original member prior to his passing.
      RIOT states about the upcoming CD: "Extensive press release coming soon as well as info and samples.
      "Thank you, fans, for your support!
      "Thank you, Mark. This is for you and dedicated to you! Shine on, metal warrior!"
      Reale spent most of his life working and performing while enduring almost constant pain and the side effects of treatment for Crohn's disease. He was in Texas bravely attempting to practice for the shows, but was felled by a severe onset of Crohn's symptoms, leaving him in the Intensive Care Unit at an undisclosed facility. Mark was struggling with these symptoms throughout the production of RIOT's last album, "Immortal Soul", and guitarist Mike Flyntz recorded a major portion of the guitars on the LP with Mark's creative direction while Reale was unable to perform.
      In a September 2012 online posting, the surviving members of RIOT rejected claims that they were trying to cash in on Reale's death, writing, "RIOT has never really made lots of money — not even Mark. He lived with his parents until the day he passed. And we all have day jobs.
      "Mark was our brother. He lived with us and we took care of him up until his passing, and we are still deeply saddened by the death of a family member."
      They went on to say that Reale was "too shaky" to play anything but four rhythm tracks on the "Immortal Soul" album, leaving Flyntz to complete the work. "It did frustrate him," they added. Nevertheless, "Mark was at the studio, and was pleased with how it was coming out — and was proud to call it a RIOT record.
      "Mark and his estate's wishes were for us to go on, and most people want us to. We play songs we wrote or co-wrote, and play a few of Mark's songs in tribute to him and the early years… We're all fans of the early stuff."
      "There are bands out there playing songs and performing with ONE original guy in the band and some didnt write any of the music — QUIET RIOT, GUNS N' ROSES, GREAT WHITE now QUEENSRŸCHE! And, of course, THIN LIZZY (well, a couple of guys, but NOT Phil [Lynott]) but people come out to hear songs they love.
      "Mike Flyntz has been taking care of Mr. Reale [Mark's father] since Mark's death because [Mike] is like a son to him now."
      KORN recently spent time in Los Angeles, California filming a music video for the song "Never Never" with director and motion designer Giovanni Bucci.
      A few photos from the video shoot can be seen below.
      "Never Never" is the first single from KORN's 11th studio album, "The Paradigm Shift", which is due on October 8 via Prospect Park. The follow-up to 2011's "The Path Of Totality" features the return of guitarist Brian "Head" Welch to the lineup after more than eight years away. His last album with the band was 2003's "Take A Look In The Mirror".
      "Never Never" was made available for purchase digitally on Tuesday, August 13. The track features slow hulking beat stomps into screeching electronics before bleeding out on a bouncy chorus evocative of the swooping prowess of "Got the Life" and "Freak On A Leash". "It was an amazing night when we finished that song," says frontman Jonathan Davis. "It's a relationship song. You go through that shit and you get hurt so bad. Then you think, 'It's not worth it anymore. I'm not going to fucking love again.' You experience so many pressures to be a good dad, a good husband, a good lover, or whatever. Being in a relationship is a lot of work."
      Other songs on the new set, which was recorded with producer Don Gilmore (LINKIN PARK, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, LACUNA COIL) at Buck Owens' studio in KORN's original hometown Bakersfield and at Los Angeles's famed NRG Recording Studios, include "Love & Meth" — for a which a video was also recently shot — "Prey For Me", "Spike In My Veins", "Mass Hysteria", "Paranoid And Aroused" and "Victimized".
      "The Paradigm Shift" is available for pre-order in standard and deluxe editions, with the deluxe showcasing two bonus tracks and a documentary DVD titled "Reconciliation".
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/korn-photos-from-never-never-video-shoot/
      Portland punk metal hellions TOXIC HOLOCAUST will release their most volatile offering to date, "Chemistry Of Consciousness", in North America on October 29 (one day earlier internationally) via Relapse Records. The devious new full-length spews forth eleven tracks of revved up, road-raging bestial devastation. The CD was recorded by the band, mixed with Kurt Ballou (CONVERGE) at his own GodCity Studio and mastered by Brad Boatright (SLEEP, FROM ASHES RISE, NAILS) at Audiosiege Engineering.
      According to a press release, "Chemistry Of Consciousness" is "the sound of DISCHARGE on speed, SLAYER with a punk rock chip on its shoulder, THE EXPLOITED on a METALLICA overdose. It is the perfect marriage of punk angst and metal guitar hooks. If there's one thing the punks and the heshers will agree on in 2013, it's that TOXIC HOLOCAUST's 'Chemistry Of Consciousness' is a rager of a record destined to top any worthwhile best of 2013 list. Recommended for devout followers of MUNICIPAL WASTE, D.R.I., SODOM, MIDNIGHT, GBH, etc."
      http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/toxicholocaustchemistry_600.jpg