Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Metallica, Journey, Megadeth and tons of classic rock, hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2013
      BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi recently spoke to the Hartford Advocate about the band's comeback album, "13", and their current North American tour, which will hit Mohegan Sun Arena on August 8.

      Asked what it feels like playing with singer Ozzy Osbourne and bassist Geezer Butler again, Iommi said: "It's a great feeling. You can't beat that feeling of walking onstage, especially with your old mates, you know. I think it's better than it was 40 years ago."

      He continued: "You know, we've been through a lot of experiences, family things and so on. I think when it comes back to the original guys again, it feels really comfortable. You do get — it comes along with age, I suppose — anxieties and different other things. But when you get onstage and start playing, it all settles down.

      Iommi also spoke about how the new songs fit with the more classic SABBATH material during the band's live show.

      "I think the songs fit in great with the old stuff, and it's also great to have new songs to fit in, because we haven't had any for so many years," he said. "As far as [playing] the whole album [live at some point]: we haven't tried that yet. We are playing four songs off the album, but I'd be up for doing the whole thing. That's how we recorded it, so that's how we can play it. It's an album that is not impossible to do, if you know what I mean. We didn't go in the studio and put loads of stuff on. It IS live, so we could go on and play any of those songs."

      Regarding whether SABBATH fans can expect more new music in the near future, Iommi said: "I don't know. It's a question that's been asked a few times. I don't really have an answer for you. At the moment, we're playing it — because of my [cancer] treatments and stuff — I can't commit to doing another two years, or anything like that. I have to play it as it comes now. While I'm doing it, I'm really enjoying it. If the rest of the year goes well, then we'll look at it and see if it's possible to do another album. It would be very nice to."
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, AEROSMITH guitarist Brad Whitford shed some light on the band's dark period in 2010 when it looked like Steven Tyler would be replaced. The band, frustrated at Tyler's decision to become a judge on Fox's "American Idol", were seriously considering carrying on without the charismatic frontman, before deciding not split the legendary lineup. Whitford told Rock Cellar magazine: "We just felt like we couldn't just let the band fall apart. It never went any further than kind of talking about it. We spoke to maybe one or two singers about the idea but that was about as far as it went. I don't think anybody in the band was terribly keen about getting in a new lead singer. I think we were all just thinking about survival at that point. We weren't ready to give up on the band."

      Whitford was pleased with last year's "Music From Another Dimension!" set, which marked AEROSMITH's first collection of all-new material in 11 years. The album debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard album chart, selling 63,000 copies in its first week of release. He explained that staying together was ultimately the smartest decision for AEROSMITH. "It was just pretty obvious we needed to stick together," he said. "We felt we had plenty left in us and there was no sense in doing anything else. We've had different experiences with people off doing some of their own music here and there and that was fun but it doesn't come close to the AEROSMITH experience."

      Brad Whitford told The Pulse Of Radio he's comfortable with the numbers that AEROSMITH are hitting with its recent releases, especially since they're no longer reaching the same demographic they were even a decade ago. "A majority of young people that buy records — which is the people that buy records, really — are so heavily influenced by so many other genres of music and stuff," he said. "And I think we're moving out of that a little bit — probably not as bad as the STONES had it, because they were never huge album sellers anyway. You start to move into a time where there's just no way you're going to catch certain younger kids just because of how old you are. You can't do it."

      AEROSMITH performs tonight (August 8) in Tokyo, Japan.

      The band's next U.S. date will be on August 30 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the Harley Davidson Anniversary at Henry Maier Festival Park.

      Out now is AEROSMITH's latest concert film, "Rock For The Rising Sun". The concert doc was filmed during the band's 2011 Japanese dates, which closely followed a massive earthquake, a monstrous tsunami, and the subsequent meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear plant.

      The film's director, Casey Patrick Tebo, was able to zero in on AEROSMITH's now 35-year relationship with its fans in Japan and chronicled how the band — who was advised not to play the dates — helped their fans heal from the triple tragedy.
      OffTheWall.TV has posted a special two-part edition of "Adventures With Chris" chronicling the festivities at METALLICA's second annual Orion Music + More festival in Detroit, Michigan at Belle Isle Park. This episode takes fans along with Chris Nieratko and the Vans crew as they interview fans and watch some pros shred to METALLICA.

      According to The Pulse Of Radio, METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo said on the ground at the festival that he was eager to bring the show back to Detroit in 2014. "We've got to come back here, you know," he said. "This is a great place. This city needs it. The weekend has been a blast and I can't wait 'til next year. I've already got ideas for next year, so we're looking forward to it."

      As previously reported, METALLICA played a surprise set on June 8 under the name DEHAAN, playing their entire 1983 debut disc "Kill 'Em All" from front to back.

      The band's headlining set the following night, which closed out the festival, featured rarities like "Carpe Diem, Baby", "I Disappear" and "Disposable Heroes" alongside the band's more traditional hits and live favorites.

      The members of METALLICA were also spotted hanging out at their personal lifestyle exhibits, with James Hetfield seen at his custom car display, Trujillo overseeing the skateboarding at the Vans Vert Ramp, and drummer Lars Ulrich premiering a clip from the upcoming movie "Metallica Through The Never" alongside director Nimród Antal.

      The Metallica Museum displayed the bass that Cliff Burton played at his final concert before his 1986 death in a Swedish bus crash, as well as other instruments, stage props and vintage concert flyers.

      Robert Trujillo played two other sets during the course of the weekend, first with a reunion of funk-rockers INFECTIOUS GROOVES and then with his own TRUJILLO TRIO.

      Spokesperson Charlie Walker of promoter C3 Presents said that around 20,000 attended the first day, with possibly more showing up on Sunday. As for whether Orion will return to Detroit next year, he replied, "We'll go through this one, wrap it up, see what the feedback is . . . Then we'll sit down and try to get a grip on what to do next."

      A total of 37 groups, including the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, DEFTONES, SILVERSUN PICKUPS, RISE AGAINST and BASSNECTAR, performed on Orion's five stages.

      THE JOY FORMIDABLE was unable to perform their show after arriving late in Detroit due to travel issues.

      James Hetfield personally introduced the SILVERSUN PICKUPS and watched their set from the side of the stage.

      Cliff Burton's father Ray was in attendance for METALLICA's surprise "Kill 'Em All" performance on Saturday.

      Detroit native Bob Seger was rumored to be showing up to sing his classic "Turn The Page" with METALLICA. Although the band played the song, Seger was a no-show.

      JOURNEY members Neal Schon (guitar) and Arnel Pineda (vocals) performed the song "Stay Awhile" following a panel discussion on the Independent Lens documentary "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey" at the PBS Summer 2013 TCA press tour at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Tuesday, August 6 in Beverly Hills, California. Video footage of the performance can be seen below.

      "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey" chronicles the rags-to-riches story JOURNEY's current Steve Perry-sound-alike lead singer, Arnel Pineda, from his poverty stricken days in the Philippines to fronting the band today.

      "We still have fans of our music showing up in the last year that don't know Steve Perry isn't in the band," JOURNEY keyboardist Jonathan Cain told the Television Critics Association.

      Schon last year said that the only way to see Steve Perry back on stage with JOURNEY would be alongside Arnel Pineda. Schon talked candidly about what it would take to have Steve Perry ever rejoin JOURNEY, saying, "I don't think there's any way not to have Arnel at this point. Who can say never? You can never say it's never going to happen. Maybe ten years from now? Six years? Who knows? But if that situation ever came up, I think it would be the both of them. And I think it would be at the point where it's a farewell tour. . . and we're done. That's the only appropriate way to go about it."

      He recalled the search to find Pineda after going through two frontmen following Perry's departure. Schon explained, "We needed someone to really nail our catalog. I looked for a couple of days, non-stop on YouTube. It was a different way to go about it, instead of flying people in from all over the world. I looked and looked for like two days, and Arnel popped up at the last minute in a link. I heard the voice and went, 'He's got the high tenor voice.' I realized he was very, very strong and covered a lot of area."

      Jonathan Cain added that there's a difference between being a straight mimic and doing what Pineda does. "He's not a tribute band singer," Cain said. "The tribute band singers are scary because they are kind of clones, you know? We did have a guy that we looked at, but he was so much like Steve Perry, it was crazy. It was too creepy. But, it was kind of neat to get next to that and see it for a second. A lot of these tribute guys, they can sing the old stuff, but, you try to put a new song in their mouth and they can't do it."

      Pineda was asked if he's ever met Steve Perry. "No, but I've been wanting to," he said. "I hope I can sing with him, you know, side by side. If he would welcome that. That would be awesome. I think, especially the hardcore fans, they would love it."

      "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey" will receive its TV premiere on September 30.
      MEGADETH performed a short acoustic set yesterday (Wednesday, August 7) in front of a select group of fans at VEVO studios in New York City. The band played the following three tracks:

      * Symphony Of Destruction
      * Kingmaker
      * She-Wolf

      Video footage of their appearance can be seen below.

      Check out a review of the session at NY Hard Rock Music Examiner. Photos are available at this location.

      MEGADETH's latest album, "Super Collider", has sold 60,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It marks MEGADETH's first release since the band's split with Roadrunner Records.

      MEGADETH filmed a video for the "Super Collider" title track on May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
      Legendary guitarist Slash was interviewed by the KROQ morning radio program "The Kevin & Bean Show" last month at Comic-Con in San Diego, California. You can now watch the chat below.

      Slash will release the soundtrack album for the first-ever motion picture he has co-produced, "Nothing Left To Fear", on October 4, the same day the film opens in select theaters. The "Nothing Left To Fear" original motion picture soundtrack was written and produced by Slash and Nick O'Toole. It includes the film score plus two original songs: "Nothing Left To Fear", which features vocalist Myles Kennedy and the instrumental "Welcome To Stull".

      The album will be released exclusively at PledgeMusic.com, giving fans access to interviews, song streams, first looks at film art, clips and more. When fans pledge and pre-order the album, they will gain access to one-of-a-kind experiences with Slash, as well as merchandise for the film.

      Due in select theaters Friday, October 4 and available on Blu-ray Combo-pack, DVD and On Demand starting Tuesday, October 8, "Nothing Left To Fear" is a harrowing tale in the spirit of the terrifying horror films of the 1970s. The movie is inspired by the legend of Stull, Kansas, which is surrounded by Internet folklore proclaiming the town to be one of the Seven Gateways to Hell. Wendy (Anne Heche), her husband Dan (James Tupper of "Revenge") and their kids have just moved to the small town of Stull, Kansas, where Dan is the new pastor. But in this sleepy community of friendly neighbors, a horrific series of occurrences awaits them: Their teenage daughter (Rebekah Brandes of "Bellflower") is being tormented by grisly visions. Her younger sister (Jennifer Stone of "Wizards Of Waverly Place") has been marked for a depraved ritual. And deep within the heartland darkness, one of The Seven Gates Of Hell demands the blood of the innocent to unleash the creatures of the damned. Ethan Peck ("10 Things I Hate About You") and Clancy Brown ("The Shawshank Redemption") co-star in this demonic shocker featuring original music by producer Slash and inspired by the real-life paranormal legacy of Stull.

      "Nothing Left To Fear" is the first film from Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer Slash's production company Slasher Films, and was written by Jonathon W.C. Mills and directed by Anthony Leonardi III.

      "As a longtime fan of the horror genre, I want to produce films that are in an older tradition of the genre," relates Slash. "That is to say, films that leave more to one's imagination, that are psychologically scary and character-driven, and what scares you is more cerebral than superficial. Slasher Films is my vehicle to realize that aim, and 'Nothing Left To Fear' is the first film with more to come."

      Following is the full track listing for the soundtrack for the new film "Nothing Left To Fear":

      01. The Road To Stull
      02. Cold Welcome
      03. Lamb's Blood
      04. One Choice, Two Fates
      05. A Prayer
      06. Dark Dreams
      07. Sermon
      08. The Tooth
      09. Retrieval
      10. Silent Secrets
      11. Pain And Premonition Part 1
      12. Pain And Premonition Part 2
      13. Observations
      14. The Secret Tower
      15. Do Your Part
      16. Don't Forget
      17. A Flash And A Feeling
      18. Abduction
      19. Bleeding In
      20. Urgency
      21. Have Faith
      22. The Decline
      23. Trauma
      24. The Blood Lust
      25. Our Broken Home
      26. Revelations
      27. No Safety In Numbers
      28. Childhood's End
      29. The Fear
      30. The Perfect Circle
      31. Nothing Left To Fear (featuring vocalist Myles Kennedy)
      32. Welcome To Stull
      North American metallers ICED EARTH have finished recording their new album, "Plagues Of Babylon", for a January 2014 via Century Media Records.

      Says ICED EARTH guitarist/mainman Jon Schaffer: "There's quite a selection of epic heaviness on your way, for release early next year.

      "We arrived in Sweden and are heading on to Portugal for a few festivals, and then on Monday, we start the mix!"

      Speaking to Metal4 magazine at last month's Rockharz open-air festival in Germany, Schaffer said about the upcoming CD: "It's a bit of a different thing for us, because it's half of a concept and the other half is [standalone] tracks. Musically, I think it's just another step in the right direction. It's really heavy, it's very melodic. It has a really epic feeling. Even though there isn't, like, a monster, long epic track, the overall feel of the songs is very epic. I mean, there's no 'Dante's Inferno' or 'Gettysburg' or the 'Something Wicked' trilogy or something like that on here, but I'm really happy with it."

      Songtitles set to appear on "Plagues Of Babylon" (among others):

      * Plagues of Babylon
      * Democide
      * Among The Living Dead
      * The Resistance
      * If I Could See You
      * Peacemaker
      * Cthulhu
      * Parasite

      ICED EARTH recently parted ways with drummer Brent Smedley for "personal family reasons." He has since been replaced by Raphael Saini (CHAOSWAVE).

      ICED EARTH has been hitting it relentlessly, with the recent studio album, "Dystopia", being the most toured album in the band's illustrious history.

      One of the many highlights of the "World Dystopia Tour", a headline show at the historic Kourion Amphitheatre in Cyprus, was recently released on Blu-ray, DVD and in many other formats under the title "Live In Ancient Kourion".

      "Dystopia" was released in October 2011 via Century Media Records. The CD marked the band's recording debut with singer Stu Block (INTO ETERNITY), who joined ICED EARTH in March 2011 following the departure of Matt Barlow.
      Video footage of the reunited METAL CHURCHRonny Munroe on vocals, Kurdt Vanderhoof and Rick Van Zandt on guitars, Steve Unger on bass, and Jeff Plate on drums — performing on August 4 at Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, California can be seen below.

      METAL CHURCH recently inked a deal with Rat Pak Records. The band's tenth studio album, "Generation Nothing", will be released in the early fall via Kurdt's label Body Of Work Recordings in conjunction with Rat Pak.

      According to Vanderhoof, "Generation Nothing" — which was recorded at Kurdt's English Channel studio in Washingtion — marks a "return to [METAL CHURCH's] classic metal sound. It has elements of the first album and 'The Dark', but still embraces the new sound of the band without chasing the past."

      Munroe said in a recent interview with Metal Assault that the new METAL CHURCH effort would contain material that is "very reminiscent of the old days with some stuff that's very 'now.'" He added: "There's a bit of… I'm not going to say 'prog' because it's not, but there's a couple of elements in there that are a little bit progressive. For the most part, out of this batch of songs, they really sound more reminiscent of the early days than anything we've done before with this lineup. This excites me very much, and I think the fans are really going to dig it."

      Regarding the circumstances that led to METAL CHURCH's breakup in 2009, Ronny said: "Well, in a nutshell, without going into a huge and long story here, it was certain aspects of things that had continued to happen to the band throughout its career. Not having the proper management and the proper people in place that were handling us. You know, we ended up taking some shows we shouldn't have taken and that just led to where Kurdt was really getting fed up and then we all kind of got that way. Basically, we figured before we end up disbanding because of other reasons such as maybe starting to fight with one another or whatnot, we decided to go ahead and end it then. We all ended up friends and we wanted to keep it that way. So I won't go into specifics, but we all know what the music industry is like now compared to what it was like back then. We just didn't have the right people in our camp."

      Asked what the band is going to do differently this time around to avoid falling into the same trap, Ronny said: "This time around we're going to release this next record on Kurdt's label. Basically, Kurdt and the band and whatnot are taking a lot more control of the situation. Yes, maybe the downloading thing is even worse than 2009, but also on the other hand, if you know what you're doing and you use the Internet correctly, you can actually have success. Kurdt's been doing that with his prog band PRESTO BALLET and whatnot. In this day and age, the time is right to go and try something on your own. If it doesn't work, you can always end up going out and searching for a label or something. We're going to take a shot at it and see what happens and I think we're probably going to have some decent success."
      SOUNDGARDEN/ex-AUDIOSLAVE singer Chris Cornell will tour again in the fall, playing a series of intimate "Songbook" shows highlighting songs from throughout his career.

      This is the first time North American fans will hear acoustic arrangements of songs from 2012's critically acclaimed "King Animal", SOUNDGARDEN's first new studio album in over 16 years. American/Sri Lankan folk artist Bhi Bhiman will open for Chris.

      For a complete list of tour dates, visit ChrisCornell.com.

      Fan presale runs from August 14 at 10 a.m. to August 15 at 10 p.m. In addition, an exclusive pre-sale for American Express cardholder members will run from August 14. Venue presales will open on August 15 and the public sale will begin on August 16 at 10 a.m. local time.

      This year also marks the launch of The Chris And Vicky Cornell Foundation, which gives aid to the most vulnerable children. One dollar of every ticket sold on the tour will be donated to the Foundation, and a portion of the proceeds will benefit ChildHaven's Creative Music Therapy Program Expansion.

      Although Cornell has been touring and recording with SOUNDGARDEN for the first time in 15 years, he continues to work as a solo artist as well. He told Spin.com how it's different from playing with a band. "An acoustic show is all about you, and any little nuance or mistake is amplified," Cornell explained. "I'm very nervous about it, but I love the intimacy. Once you sit in front of people and start playing songs, it's all on you. No matter what happens, it's entirely your responsibility the entire time. I like that intensity."

      Cornell told The Pulse Of Radio that he sees working with SOUNDGARDEN again as having a positive influence on his solo career. "One thing about a solo artist is you can just be in a room way too long with yourself and your own thoughts and your own songs, and it feels really good to be working with Ben (Shepherd, bassist) and Matt (Cameron, drummer) and Kim (Thayil, guitarist) again, and it's actually a really nice reprieve also from just being alone, doing what I do," he said. "It's helping with the balance, I think, too."

      Cornell has issued three solo albums. The last one, 2009's "Scream", was trashed by critics and fans for abandoning Cornell's rock roots for an urban pop sound.
      The epic climax of Activision and Treyarch's Call of Duty: Black Ops II Downloadable Content (DLC) Season Pass culminates with Apocalypse. Available first on the Xbox Live online entertainment network from Microsoft on August 27, the game's fourth and final DLC Pack delivers four thrilling and diverse multiplayer maps, and the all-new wildly creative Zombies experience — "Origins".

      With Apocalypse, Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, and its award-winning studio Treyarch have partnered with award-winning Warner Bros. Records rock band AVENGED SEVENFOLD, who contribute the song "Shepherd Of Fire" from their upcoming album "Hail To The King" to the Zombies experience, which will be featured in the intro cinematic video for "Origins". Along with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, famed comics illustrator and painter Alex Ross has also lent his talent to "Origins", providing original art that features the original Zombies heroes. One of the most esteemed comic book artists of all time, Ross is most famous for his work with DC and Marvel Comics, and has won many notable awards for his artistic design.

      "Apocalypse is Treyarch's grand finale to Call Of Duty: Black Ops II," said Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia. "It is the perfect culmination of our efforts, and fan feedback, with two all-new multiplayer maps for players to experience for the first time, and two fully reimagined fan-favorite multiplayer maps from past games — and Origins, our most epic Zombies experience to date. Apocalypse is a DLC pack that our fans will never forget."

      Call of Duty: Black Ops II Apocalypse will be available first, exclusively on Xbox Live for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft for 1200 Microsoft Points on August 27, with other platforms to follow. Players who have already purchased the Season Pass can download Apocalypse as soon as it becomes available.

      "Hail To The King" will be released on August 27. The long-awaited follow-up to 2010's "Nightmare" was once again produced by Mike Elizondo and is the first to be wholly written without drummer and key songwriter James "The Rev" Sullivan, who died in December 2009. Sullivan has since been replaced by Arin Ilejay, a former member of CONFIDE.
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, QUEEN's Brian May has kept his fan base on top of his knee replacement surgery via his official web site, BrianMay.com, posting on August 6: "I'm THROUGH!!! With a shiny new knee. This no walk in the park (!) but for 1st time in months I feel optimistic and free of that OLD pain. Thanks so much for the great messages — it means a lot. Bri zzzzz."

      In addition to his new album with Broadway star Kerry Ellis, called "Acoustic By Candlelight", May has been putting the finishing touches on the soon-to-be-released 1983 Freddie Mercury/Michael Jackson demos. In addition to that, he and drummer Roger Taylor have been working on new QUEEN tracks with legendary producer Chris Thomas.

      Chris Thomas is best known for his work on THE BEATLES' "White Album" and numerous projects with Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, THE PRETENDERS, PINK FLOYD, BADFINGER, INXS, SEX PISTOLS, Elton John, U2, among others. The sessions mark his first behind the boards for QUEEN.

      There's no word who the two vocalists singing lead on the tracks are, or when they'll be released.

      The Pulse Of Radio asked QUEEN drummer Roger Taylor if he and Brian May have remained as close as they were during QUEEN's heyday. "Very close," he said. "I mean, we are, y'know, what's left of QUEEN. And, y'know, I saw him yesterday, we had a meeting. We see one other all the time — 'cause there's so much to talk about. Seems like there's more and more to talk about. And we don't always agree all the time, but we are very close, yeah."
      GUNS N' ROSES and SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba is engaged to marry his actress/model girlfriend.

      Ashba, who joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck, proposed to Nathalia Henao, and he took to his Twitter page to announce that she "said yes." He added: "We can't thank you all enough for the beautiful love and support that you show us! Much love!!"

      A statement posted on the official GUNS N' ROSES Facebook page reads: "Congratulations and best wishes to DJ and Nathalia."

      Ashba spoke to The Sydney Morning Herald this past February about being in one of rock 'n' roll's most contentious acts.

      "It's the craziest roller-coaster ride you'll ever be on," the 40-year-old axeman said, "but I wake up every day grateful to be in the position I am. I don't know many guitar players out there who wouldn't kill to be in my spot, so I refuse to take it for granted."

      In addition sole original member Axl Rose (lead vocals) and Ashba, the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES includes guitarists Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman and drummer Frank Ferrer.

      "We're a solid band now," Ashba said. "Before [2009], members were coming and going and it was a different time. We've toured for four years almost constantly and we haven't missed one show since I've been in the band. All that stuff has come to an end and Axl is very inspired."

      Ashba, who moved to Las Vegas in January 2012, teamed up with BullyVille.com, the Internet's first anti-bullying social web site and media platform. The guitarist also focuses on his media consultancy, fashion line and automotive detailing group.

      "I always joke that I play guitar for a hobby and that really I'm an entrepreneur," he told The Sydney Morning Herald. "If you hung out with me at my house you would never know I played in GUNS N' ROSES. I'm not the guy sitting around patting myself on the back. I don't even like the word 'rock star.'"
      Robert Cotter of Fixion Media recently spoke to Daniel Glick, the director of concerts and events at Evenko — Montreal, Quebec's premiere promoter and arguably the most important independent promoter and producer in Canada.

      Evenko last year promoted more than a thousand shows, including Heavy MTL, a two-day festival for fans of metal, hard rock, and a slew of other heavy music genres in between.

      "That's been the festival since the beginning," Glick said. "And we want to continue to grow the diversity of the genre of music, not just heavy metal. A) There are only so many heavy metal bands. B) We want some of our fans, let's say our hard rock fans, falls in love with MASTODON and that will lead them to another band, maybe a harder band. Someone going there just for MEGADETH and discovers BARONESS, and he's like, 'Wow, that's pretty cool.' It's a little more hard rocky. But he would probably not listen to that on his/her own if [they weren't] at the festival. You know, we're just trying to build music."

      He continued: "Metal and hard rock has always been a very niche, unique genre of music and market. We'll look at it maybe a month into booking and we're like ‘we have three elements, we need three more.' You always start with your top 50. You see who's around, who's in Europe. Talking to agents — figuring out how much money they want; if they're planning a tour, if they're not planning a tour, [or] if we're going to be the only date in Canada — all kinds of things. And then we see who's there and start building it.

      "Sometimes we pick the bands we really want and go after them hard. Sometimes maybe they'll route a tour around us. That happened with MEGADETH and [Gigantour]. I think there are a couple of them that have started tours around Heavy MTL, which is totally cool. We're kind of honored."

      It's important to note that Heavy MTL is not just for local Montrealers. It is becoming a destination event. "I think right now maybe 15% are from the [United States] already," Glick said. "We're definitely attracting from all over the place. Not just the Quebec region. There's still quite a few from Ontario coming in; whether it be Ottawa, Kingston, some from Toronto — because there is no Heavy T.O. proper festival this year. The outreach is pretty strong."

      This year's edition of the Heavy MTL festival is set to take place August 10-11 at Parc Jean-Drapeau in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Acts scheduled to appear at the event include ROB ZOMBIE, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, GODSMACK, MEGADETH and HALESTORM.

      For more information, visit HeavyMTL.com.
      MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine explained to Artisan News why HELLYEAH and DEVICE ended up not playing with MEGADETH at the New York City stop of this year's Gigantour. You can watch the report below.

      MEGADETH's latest album, "Super Collider", has sold 60,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It marks MEGADETH's first release since the band's split with Roadrunner Records.

      MEGADETH filmed a video for the "Super Collider" title track on May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
      Former METALLICA bassist and current NEWSTED frontman Jason Newsted spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA, the reality television-formed supergroup he launched seven years ago with former GUNS N' ROSES and ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA guitarist Gilby Clarke, Tommy Lee (MÖTLEY CRÜE) and Canadian vocalist Lukas Rossi.

      "It was a great experience, I made good money and I think I played some good five-string bass on the recording, so those three things were successful for me," he said.

      "The whole Hollywood vibe is really, really the opposite of what I am: pretty much the direct opposite. I'm in first, last one out and play like I'll never play again and work as hard as possible all the time.

      "When I came into SUPERNOVA, I had all my shit together and sat down with these guys and said, 'This is what we need to do if we want to get this record done.' And they went, 'Who made you boss?' So I was like, okay, fine: let's see how this goes…"

      Newsted continued: "We ended up rehearsing about seven hours total. Total. Ever.

      "I tried to be a leader — none of those guys have been in as big or as successful bands as I've been in. I wasn't trying to be arrogant, but that's the deal and they should have shown some respect for my opinion and my interest in the leadership role. They had their irons in many other fires at the time and I didn't. I moved out to Los Angeles to focus on that show and they spent more time walking around than anything else. Fortunately for me, at that time I discovered my painting. So if they hadn't been jacking off, it would have given me a chance to paint. So everything for a reason. The record got done, I put a big check in the bank, and now I'm selling my paintings. I make some wicked lemonade if you give me lemons, you know?"

      In a 2012 interview with Metal Sickness, Gilby Clarke stated about ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA: "When we did the TV show ['Rock Star: Supernova'], for us, it was really about the band. Myself, Tommy and Jason, we were really excited about getting the band together. The TV show was just a way for us to look around and find a singer. Even for guys like us, you can't just go, 'Oh, let's find a singer.' All the good singers are in bands and they're busy. So we thought that we would try and look throughout the world to find [a singer] and the TV show came along. So we were happy. I thought Lukas did a great job on the record, when we picked him from the show. After the show, we did do a tour — we did a full U.S. tour, went down to Australia and everything — but it was really clear that it wasn't good enough. It happened so fast that I don't think that we really had time to develop a band sound — like, play together. It's really hard when you have three guys that are successful to get together and just start a new band like it's in the garage — it's impossible. And I think that, because of that, it was something that wasn't going to last. Because, after doing the shows, I didn't wanna do it anymore. I didn't like Lukas' commitment, and Tommy was still in MÖTLEY CRÜE, he was still DJing and everything. To me, I gave up everything to do that band, and I wanted to see the same from everybody else."

      ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA lost Newsted in October 2006 after an accident that resulted in a torn anterior labrum in his left shoulder and a rotator cuff and bicep tear in the right (bassist Johnny Colt of BLACK CROWES/TRAIN filled in during the aforementioned trek). Newsted suffered the injuries while trying to catch a 90-pound bass head that had fallen from atop his amp. The combination of surgery and a lengthy rehab assignment left him sidelined for up to nine months.
      ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA's seflt-titled album failed to break into the Top 100 of the Billboard album chart after its November 2006 release. The CD was certified gold in January 2007 for Canadian sales in excess of 50,000 copies.

      The video for the ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA song "Headspin" — about Rossi's rocky relationship with his mother — can be seen below. The track is an original RISE ELECTRIC (Lukas' pre-SUPERNOVA band) song that Rossi wrote with guitarist Dominic Cifarelli and performed on the "Rock Star: Supernova" TV show when the contestants were asked to sing one of their originals.
      BACKYARD BABIES and MICHAEL MONROE guitarist Dregen (real name: Andreas Tyrone Svensson) will release his self-titled solo album at the end of September. The CD, which is described by Dregen as "an energetic rock 'n' roll album with the best songs I've ever written and recorded," will feature a guest appearance by Nicke Anderson (THE HELLACOPTERS, IMPERIAL STATE ELECTRIC, ENTOMBED).

      "Dregen" track listing:

      01. Divison Of Me
      02. Just Like That
      03. Flat Tyre On A Muddy Road
      04. Gig Pig
      05. Pink Hearse
      06. Bad Situation
      07. One Man Army
      08. 6-10
      09. Refuse
      10. Mojo's Gone

      The CD's first single, "Just Like That", will receive its world premiere on Saturday, August 10 on Swedish national radio P3. It will then be released on August 14.

      Best known as the guitarist of BACKYARD BABIES and as a founding member of the HELLACOPTERS, Dregen made his live debut as the guitarist of Monroe's solo band in June 2011 at Kalasatama in Helsinki as the support act for the FOO FIGHTERS.

      Dregen was a member of the HELLACOPTERS from the band's inception in 1994 until 1998, at which point he decided to focus on BACKYARD BABIES.

      BACKYARD BABIES announced in November 2009 that they were going on an indefinite hiatus after completing a European tour.
      UNISONIC, the band featuring former HELLOWEEN vocalist Michael Kiske and Hansen alongside guitarist Mandy Meyer (ASIA, GOTTHARD and KROKUS), bassist Dennis Ward and drummer Kosta Zafiriou (both of Germany's PINK CREAM 69), has "started collecting and exchanging ideas" for its second full-length album, to be released in 2014.

      In other news, UNISONIC has been confirmed for next year's edition of the Bang Your Head!!! festival, set to take place on June 11-12, 2014 in Balingen, Germany.

      UNISONIC's self-titled debut studio album was released in North America on May 22, 2012 via Eagle Rock imprint Armoury Records.

      "Unisonic" was recorded at ICP Studios in Brussels, Belgium. The CD — which features 11 tracks, plus a bonus live version of HELLOWEEN classic "I Want Out", only available on the domestic edition, and cover art by Martin Häusler (MEAT LOAF, GOTTHARD, HELLOWEEN, MOTÖRHEAD) — marked the first full-length musical union between Kiske and Hansen in 23 years.

      UNISONIC released its debut EP, "Ignition" on January 27, 2012 via earMUSIC/Edel. The effort included the track "Unisonic" plus one demo song and a cover version of the HELLOWEEN classic "I Want Out", recorded live on October 15, 2011 at the Loud Park festival at Saitama Super Arena, a multi-purpose indoor arena located in Saitama City, Japan.

      Hansen's position in GAMMA RAY is unaffected by his involvement with UNISONIC.

      UNISONIC is:

      Michael Kiske (vocals)
      Mandy Meyer (guitar)
      Kai Hansen (guitar)
      Dennis Ward (bass)
      Kosta Zafiriou (drums)
      Planetmosh conducted an interview with former DRAGONFORCE and current I AM I singer ZP Theart on August 4 in Glasgow during the "Headbangers Balls" tour. You can now watch the chat below.

      I AM I recently announced the addition of guitarist Andy Midgley to the group's ranks. Midgley tore it up on the road with I AM I on their recent tour with SKID ROW, fitted in seamlessly from the start and is now bringing a whole new dimension to the band's live show.

      Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, Jake Thorsen decided to step down from his role in I AM I.

      I AM I's tour with SKID ROW and BUFFALO SUMMER ended in great style at a sold-out Islington Academy on April 13, with all three bands getting up on stage to sing the final SKID ROW song "Youth Gone Wild", a fittingly raucous end to what was a two-week blast of some damn fine rock 'n' roll!

      I AM I released a cover version of John Farnham's classic '80s track "You're The Voice" on December 10, 2012 on digital format, distributed worldwide by Plastichead and available from all the usual digital outlets.

      I AM I's rocking, feel-good rendition had been received exceptionally well on the band's recent tour, with everyone singing along with the memorable chorus of this great track, leading them to decide to put it out as an end-of-year single. ZP also felt that the lyrical content of the track was especially relevant in this current era, mirroring what's actually happening with the us all right now and making the timing for the single release perfect.

      Written by Andy Qunta, Keith Reid, Maggie Ryder and Chris Thompson, "You're The Voice" was originally released by Australian singer John Farnham in 1986 and was a smash hit, reaching the Top 10 in most European countries.

      I AM I released its debut album, "Event Horizon", digitally worldwide on December 10, 2012. The CD was previously released exclusively throughout Europe, but due to the increasing demand for the LP throughout the U.S., Americas, Australia and other territories, the decision was made to go ahead and release it digitally worldwide.

      Written and produced by Theart and Jacob Ziemba and mixed and mastered by Roland Grapow (HELLOWEEN, MASTERPLAN), "Event Horizon" is described in a press release as "an absolutely blistering slice of heavy rock liberally infused with Theart's passion, energy and soaring vocals."

      I AM I last year announced the addition of drummer Phil Martini (DOWN 'N' OUTZ, TOKYO DRAGONS, THE QUIREBOYS) to the group's ranks.
      Fan-filmed video footage of MPIRE OF EVIL (formerly PRIMEVIL) — the band formed in 2010 by ex-VENOM members Jeff "Mantas" Dunn (guitar) and Tony "The Demolition Man" Dolan (bass, vocals) — performing the VENOM classics "Withing Hour" and "Black Metal" on July 25 at the Headbangers Open Air festival in Brande-Hörnerkirchen, Germany can be seen below.

      MPIRE OF EVIL recently filmed a video for the song "Taking It All" from its "Crucified" album.

      "Crucified" came out on May 7 via Deadline Music (a subsidiary of Cleopatra Records). The booklet includes art by Mantas, lyrics and band pics.

      "Crucified" bulldozes through eleven tracks — including nine re-recorded versions of VENOM tracks from Dolan's time with the group — opening with the driving "Temples of Ice" and not taking its foot off the gas through the closing beast, "Taking It All" (which includes the perfect anti-chant). The riffs are dense and mighty, rhythms propulsive, and the vocals relentlessly intense. The record takes on dystopian themes of destruction, evil, and corruption and in the case of pointed tracks like "Blackened Are The Priests", all three.

      "Crucified" track listing:

      01. Temples Of Ice
      02. Parasite
      03. Kissing The Beast
      04. Blackened Are The Priests
      05. Carnivorous
      06. Black Legions
      07. Need To Kill
      08. Wolverine
      09. Crucified
      10. Demone
      11. Taking It All

      After completing a successful U.S. tour with drummer Marc Jackson (who replaced Antony "Antton" Lant last year), MPIRE OF EVIL in May 2012 announced that Marc had joined the group on a permanent basis.

      MPIRE OF EVIL released its full-length debut, "Hell To The Holy", on March 26, 2012 via Scarlet Records. The CD was produced by Mantas and features cover artwork by Gyula Havancsák (ANNIHILATOR, DESTRUCTION, GRAVE DIGGER).

      MPIRE OF EVIL last year completed a North American tour with fellow British thrashers ONSLAUGHT.
      While travelling to Texas to perform Thursday night at Trees in Dallas and Friday night at the Scout Bar in Houston, Louisiana rockers LILLIAN AXE were involved in a vehicular accident. All members of the band are well and have been treated at local hospitals for minor and non-threatening injuries. There has been extensive damage to the band’s equipment, and as a result; this week's performances have been canceled and will be rescheduled.

      LILLIAN AXE's latest album, "XI: The Days Before Tomorrow", was released in Europe on January 27, 2012 through Germany's AFM Records and in North America on February 14, 2012 via CME Records.

      "XI: The Days Before Tomorrow" was recorded at Sound Landing Studio in Covington, Louisiana, with the band's guitarist/songwriter Steve Blaze acting as producer and Rob Hovey engineering. The mixing duties were handled by Sylvia Massey (TOOL, JOHNNY CASH, DEFTONES, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, PRINCE, BLACK CROWES).
      Danish thrashers HATESPHERE will release their eighth studio album, "Murderlust", on September 27 via Massacre Records. The CD was recorded at Antfarm Studios in Aarhus, Denmark with producer Tue Madsen (THE HAUNTED, SICK OF IT ALL, MOONSPELL, DARK TRANQUILLITY) and it once again features cover artwork by MNEMIC's Mircea Gabriel Eftemie.

      "Murderlust" will be made available as both standard and digipack.

      The track listing is as follows:

      01. Murderlust
      02. Pandora's Hell
      03. Fear Me
      04. The Violent Act
      05. Punishable By Death
      06. In Process
      07. Iconoclast
      08. Darkest Of Forces
      09. Refill The Chest
      10. Assassin (MUSE cover)

      Digipack bonus tracks:

      11. Murderlust (pre-production)
      12. 500 Dead People (live)

      HATESPHERE will support HYPOCRISY on the second leg of the "End Of Disclosure Tour 2013" this fall.

      HATESPHERE's most recent album, "The Great Bludgeoning", entered the official chart in Denmark at position No. 40. The group's 2009 effort, "To The Nines", landed at No. 36 while 2007's "Serpent Smiles and Killer Eyes" debuted at No. 26.

      Vocalist Esben "Esse" Hansen joined HATESPHERE as the band's new singer in June 2010.
      The long-awaited details about which vocalists would be featuring on "8 ½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd", the new album from Sweden's SHINING, have been announced today, and not unsurprisingly Niklas Kvarforth has chosen some of the most iconic frontmen from the extreme metal genre, as well as a some perhaps surprising choices, to take part in the project.

      Track listing on "8 ½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd" and featured vocalists as follows:

      01. Terres Des Anonymes (featuring Famine of PESTE NOIRE)
      02. Szabadulj Meg Önmagadtól (featuring Attila Csihar of MAYHEM, TORMENTOR)
      03. Ett Liv Utan Mening (featuring Pehr Larsson of ALFAHANNE)
      04. Selvdestruktivitetens Emissarie (featuring Gaahl of GOD SEED, WARDRUNA, ex-GORGOROTH)
      05. Black Industrial Misery (featuring Maniac of SKITLIV, ex-MAYHEM)
      06. Through Corridors Of Oppression (featuring KVARFORTH himself)

      The six songs on "8 ½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd" date back to SHINING's "Livets Ändhållplats" and "Angst" era and are in their original pre-production form, with the addition of newly recorded bass and guitars as well as Lars Fredrik Fröslie (ANGST SKVADRON, WOBBLER, ASMEGIN) on keyboards, which the band didn't start using until their sixth album. Set for release on Dark Essence Records on September 23, "8 ½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd" will be available both in CD and limited-edition black or white 12-inch vinyl versions, with liner notes by Niklas Kvarforth. All three versions are now available to pre-order from Dark Essence Records at this location.

      SHINING founder and frontman Niklas Kvarforth has wanted to do this project for many years now, and he allowed all the vocalists free rein to interpret the songs as they wished and also to sing in their own native languages. Something that Dark Essence's Martin Kvam feels fits right in with the label's ethos of mixing tradition with innovation.

      "With '8 ½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd', SHINING has really encapsulated what we enjoy doing most as a label, looking back as it does to an earlier period, but with a completely fresh approach and different interpretation of what have now become classics in the field of extreme metal. SHINING fans are certainly not going to be disappointed when they hear what this album has to offer."
      Dutch/Norwegian rockers THE GATHERING will release their new 43-minute album, "Afterwords", in September on CD, vinyl and other formats. In addition to the three songs that originally appeared on the "Afterlights" EP in 2012, the new disc contains two fresh "Disclosure" remakes as well as three brand new THE GATHERING tracks and a cover version of a song called "Areas". The album's title track, "Afterwords", features a guest appearance on vocals by founding THE GATHERING member Bart Smits and it "shows the 'other' side of Bart's dynamic voice," according to the band. Contributing "great trumpet parts" to the CD once again is Noel Hofman.

      "Afterwords" track listing:

      01. S.I.B.A.L.D.
      02. Echoes Keep Growing
      03. Afterwords
      04. Tuning In, Fading Out
      05. Areas
      06. Gemini III
      07. Afterlights
      08. Sleep Paralysis
      09. Bärenfels

      THE GATHERING has scheduled shows in The Netherlands, Norway and France in November. This will mark the band's first time playing in Norway since 2001, and the first THE GATHERING show for singer Silje Wergeland — who was previously in the Norwegian band OCTAVIA SPERATI — on her home turf.

      THE GATHERING's latest album, "Disclosure", was released on September 12, 2012 via the band's own Psychonaut Records. The CD cover artwork was created by the Chilean artist Carlos Vergara Rivera.