Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, KISS, Metallica, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Soundgarden, Geoff Tate's Queensryche, Megadeth, Stone Temple Pilots, Slayer, Anthrax and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2013
      Paul Cashmere of Australia's Noise11.com recently recently conducted an interview with BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi. You can now watch the chat below.

      On drummer Bill Ward's decision to back out of the BLACK SABBATH reunion over a contractual dispute:

      Iommi: "It's been a on-off thing with Bill for many years with me. It was disappointing. We were all disappointed in it. It happened before with [the BLACK SABBATH offshoot band] HEAVEN & HELL [which featured Ronnie James Dio on vocals]. We wanted Bill to come in and Bill wanted to do it again. We got him in and he left again. We were used to it, really. It's a shame. We would have liked Bill to be on the [new BLACK SABBATH] album ['13'], and I'm sure Bill would have liked to have been on it, but it just got to a silly situation. It just didn't happen."

      On being the only member of BLACK SABBATH to have never left the band:

      Iommi: "It was just that I never left. I carried on. What do you do? You try and make the best of what you can. I enjoyed some of what we done. We did some really good stuff. With Dio, I thought 'Heaven And Hell', 'Mob Rules', they were good albums. 'Dehumanizer' and stuff. Also some of the stuff with Tony Martin [vocals] and Cozy [Powell, drums] I liked. When people aren't there, you try and replace it, and it's really difficult to replace original members, because that's the sound you have, you all create. I've done quite a few albums with Tony Martin, Cozy Powell, Neil Murray. We'd done 'Headless Cross' and the 'Forbidden' album, which was the last one we'd done with that lineup. I didn't really like that album."

      Ward was on board for the reunion when it was first announced in November 2011, but backed out soon after, claiming that he was given contractual terms that were not fair.

      SABBATH has used Ozzy's regular touring drummer Tommy Clufetos since then for live work. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk laid down the drum tracks on "13", due out June 11.

      SABBATH finished the Australian leg of its world tour earlier in the month and played Japan's first-ever Ozzfest on May 12. A North American trek begins on July 25 in the Woodlands, Texas.

      Fan-filmed video footage of BLACK SABBATH's entire May 7 performance at Adelaide Entertainment Centre in Adelaide, Australia can be seen below.

      The band's setlist was as follows:

      01. War Pigs
      02. Into The Void
      03. Under The Sun
      04. Snowblind
      05. Black Sabbath
      06. Behind The Wall Of Sleep
      07. N.I.B.
      08. Fairies Wear Boots
      09. Symptom Of The Universe (instrumental)
      10. Drum Solo
      11. Iron Man
      12. God Is Dead?
      13. Dirty Women
      14. Children Of The Grave

      Encore:

      15. Paranoid

      According to The Pulse Of Radio, BLACK SABBATH frontman Ozzy Osbourne has provided perhaps his most candid comments yet on original drummer Bill Ward's decision to back out of the band's reunion album and tour. In a new interview with Mojo magazine, Ozzy explained, "I guess it's to do with finances or something. But there was also another side to it. When Bill came along, we all had to ask, 'Can he do an hour-and-a-half, two-hour gig? Can he cope?' My suggestion was that we run through a set and see how he got on because he was so out of condition and the drummer is the most demanding job in the whole band. We looked at Bill, and he couldn't remember what the fuck we were doing."

      Ozzy added that it "would have been cool" for the band to tour with a back-up drummer or just have Ward play a portion of the set, but that Ward "didn't come clean and say, 'I can't cut this gig.'"

      Ozzy continued, "I get where he's coming from, though. His pride was hurt and I get it. I really do get it. The guy will always be a dear, dear friend and a brother to me . . . I'm not gonna give Bill a hatchet job, but at the same time we haven't got the patience to deal with it."

      Ward was on board for the reunion when it was first announced in November 2011, but backed out soon after, claiming that he was given contractual terms that were not fair.

      SABBATH has used Ozzy's regular touring drummer Tommy Clufetos since then for live work. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk laid down the drum tracks on the band's upcoming album, "13", due out June 11.

      SABBATH finished the Australian leg of its world tour earlier in the month and played Japan's first-ever Ozzfest on May 12. A North American trek begins on July 25 in the Woodlands, Texas.

      In March 2011, Japan was beset by a huge earthquake, a monstrous tsunami and the subsequent meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear plant. In the autumn of 2011, despite advice to the contrary, AEROSMITH brought their "Back On The Road" tour to Japan, a country with which they'd always had a special relationship. The Japanese fans came out in their droves and AEROSMITH responded with some of the finest gigs of their distinguished career.

      "Rock For The Rising Sun" follows the band on that tour combining full-length live tracks with behind-the-scenes footage which is at times touching and emotional and at others humorous and insightful. More than anything else it demonstrates the Japanese fans' love affair with AEROSMITH and their music.

      "Rock For The Rising Sun" was directed by Casey Patrick Tebo, and combines live performance material with behind-the-scenes footage that shows the nation coping with the destruction. The movie is due for release on DVD and Blu-ray on July 22 via Eagle Rock Entertainment.

      "I have never seen any band I've ever worked for be revered like this band was by the Japanese people," Tebo told BostonHerald.com in a recent interview. "They're bigger than THE [ROLLING] STONES, bigger than THE BEATLES. They're very special over there."

      Tebo told BostonHerald.com that he filmed all of the band's shows but didn't set out to make a documentary. But when he saw the footage, he knew he had a great concert film.

      "The band didn't even know," he said. "So when it was finished, I rented a theater in L.A. and showed it to them. When the movie was done, [AEROSMITH guitarist] Joe [Perry] stood up and gave me a hug and started crying. It was a pretty ?cathartic thing."

      "Rock For The Rising Sun" track listing:

      01. Draw The Line
      02. Love In An Elevator
      03. Livin' On The Edge
      04. Hangman Jury
      05. No More No More
      06. Mama Kin
      07. Monkey On My Back
      08. Toys In The Attic
      09. Sweet Emotion
      10. Boogie Man
      11. Rats In The Cellar
      12. Movin' Out
      13. Last Child
      14. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
      15. Walk This Way
      16. Train Kept A Rollin' (credits)
      According to Interbridge.com's "The Late Night TV Page", AEROSMITH singer Steven Tyler will guest on CBS's "The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson" on Monday, June 3. Check your local listings for times and details.

      Tyler and AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry will be inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall Of Fame and perform on the Bowl's opening night of the 2013 season on Saturday, June 22.

      Tyler and Perry first appeared at the Hollywood Bowl in May 1999, with subsequent appearances in 2002, 2006 and last year's sold-out concert.

      Following their induction during this season's Hollywood Bowl opening-night event, Tyler and Perry will perform with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, led by Thomas Wilkins.

      AEROSMITH is continuing to tour in support of its latest album, "Music From Another Dimension!", which was released on November 6, 2012, and debuted at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 album chart, selling 63,000 copies in its first week of release.
      KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer will make an in-store appearance at 4Sound Fridhemsplan in Stockholm, Sweden, on Sunday, June 2. The autograph-signing event, presented by 4Sound and Epiphone guitars, will run from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

      Launched this past January at NAMM, the Tommy Thayer "Spaceman" Les Paul model from Epiphone features a solid mahogany body and a plain maple veneer top that deliver the classic tone and sustain that can only come from a "real" Les Paul. The 1960s SlimTaper "D" profile mahogany neck has a deep-set glued-in neck joint, a 24.75" scale length, 22 medium jumbo frets, and a 1.68" nut. Like all Epiphone Les Pauls (and unlike less costly designs), the limited-edition Tommy Thayer "Spaceman" Les Paul Standard Outfit features a 14-degree headstock that gives you more pressure at the nut for more sustain with less tuning hang-ups caused by "string-tree" gadgets. A rosewood fingerboard with a 12-inch radius and pearloid trapezoid inlays completes the classic Les Paul Standard look and feel. The hand set-neck delivers outstanding string-to-body resonance while the medium-jumbo frets add to the smooth and sustained tone. The top features a beautiful Silver Flake color finish and a black gloss finish on the back, sides, and neck. The body features single ply white binding on the top and on the fingerboard. A cool black pickguard completes the modern look.

      Tommy, KISS' former tour manager who took on the "Spaceman" persona after founding KISS guitarist Ace Frehley left the band in 2002, says, "It's based on a Custom Shop Les Paul that Gibson made for me. It has a Silver Sparkle top and it's a straight-ahead Standard based on a 1959 to 1960 vintage. It's got the same 498 pickups that I use onstage."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/thayerstockholm2013.jpg
      METALLICA will play its only European show this summer at Roskilde Festival, set to take place June 29 – July 7 in Roskilde, Denmark.

      The giants take a short break from the studio to visit Roskilde for the first time in 10 years.

      It was not in the cards that the undisputed kings of metal were going to Europe at all this summer. But late in the game, the organizers managed to secure a single show with the band that visited Roskilde 10 years ago, teaching the attendees a lesson in thrash metal that made traffic around the festival come to a standstill.

      "We listen to our audience, and this year they have been shouting for a large name to complete our high-quality, forward-thinking, broad music program," says Roskilde director of Music & Creation Rikke Øxner. "Very few names of this kind are on tour, so we have had to think outside the box and are obviously thrilled to welcome back Lars Ulrich and his crew much earlier than expected."

      METALLICA played its first Roskilde show in 1986, the year the band's Copenhagen-recorded "Master Of Puppets" album was released.

      METALLICA fans can next see the band headlining their own festival, Orion Music + More, on June 8-9 in Detroit, and then wait for the September 27 release of "Metallica Through The Never", an IMAX 3D feature film that combines concert footage with a fictional narrative.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/metroskilde2013.jpg

      Sergio Pereira of South Africa's Muse magazine conducted an interview with METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo last month when the band returned to South Africa for three shows — one in Johannesburg and two in Cape Town.

      Muse: Would you ever be interested in recording with a South African producer in South Africa?

      Trujillo: With Kevin Shirley [grins]?

      Muse: Perhaps. I don't think Mutt Lange is available right now. [laughs]

      Trujillo: I think that's been pursued [smirk]… maybe. Right now at this phase of the game, we're concentrating on great riffs, potential songs and ideas – it's great to be able to take a break from all of that and come to South Africa. We're going to Asia in August — and that's exciting. [Then], we're going to South America in October… First things first, we've got to start getting our blueprints for songs together and make sure they're the best possible — and then we see what producers are available. We made a great album with Rick Rubin the last time — that's a strong possibility still. Obviously, there are no guarantees in anything in this day and age, but if there is a great producer, who has something to bring to METALLICA, we will investigate it.

      Muse: Since you've been to South Africa, have you spread the word about it to other bands?

      Trujillo: Yeah. I've been texting a lot of my friends who have been like, "I've never been to South Africa…" I tell them straight: the fans are great; the people are passionate; if you get there when the weather is nice, it's like Southern California — the water is a little bit cold, but that's okay, bring a wetsuit [laughs]; and watch out for sharks [bigger laughs].

      Muse: What attracted you to return to South Africa again?

      Trujillo: The promoters obviously wanted us to come back and brought us over again. You gotta understand that when there is the demand, you realize that people do care. It has to come from the fans. Like the show tonight, it is pretty special for us and that doesn't happen to every band on the planet. We're still lucky to be around and relevant in a lot of people's eyes. To look out in the crowd and see young kids out there, too: teenagers and kids, who were, like, 5 years old when we came out here last time, headbanging is really exciting. So, yeah, just make sure the fans spread the word and continue keeping us relevant.

      DEF LEPPARD vocalist Joe Elliott recently spoke to South Africa's Jacaranda 94.2 about his upcoming tour with KINGS OF CHAOS. Joe also talked about the legacy of DEF LEPPARD, the Viva! Hysteria shows in Las Vegas, thoughts on doing another full-album residency, working with producer Mutt Lange, and more. Check out the chat using the SoundCloud widget below.

      Due to scheduling conflicts with the recording of his forthcoming studio album and the production schedule for a new major network television show, former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach will not be able to perform with KINGS OF CHAOS in South Africa this June. He hopes to tour with them in the very near future and wishes them the best with these dates. Look for news on Bach's new album and TV show very soon.

      Replacing Bach for the South African KINGS OF CHAOS dates will be ALTER BRIDGE and SLASH singer Myles Kennedy.

      KINGS OF CHAOS will perform in Cape Town on June 7 and June 8 at the Grand West Grand Arena, and on June 15 and June 16 at the Sun City Superbowl, North West.

      KINGS OF CHAOS consists of former GUNS N' ROSES members Slash, Matt Sorum, Gilby Clarke and Duff McKagan, as well as DEF LEPPARD's Joe Elliott and Vivian Campbell, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION's Glenn Hughes and COLLECTIVE SOUL's Ed Roland.

      KINGS OF CHAOS will perform some of the individual bandmembers' greatest hits in a two-hour display of frenzied guitar riffs, pounding drums, resonating bass and trademark raspy vocals.

      Tickets for Cape Town are priced from R445 and R375 for Sun City and are available at Computicket.

      KINGS OF CHAOS made its Australian live debut on April 20 at the Stone Music Festival at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

      The band is the brainchild of Sorum, who asked a few of his close friends to form a band and tour the world playing each other's big hits.

      The idea for KINGS OF CHAOS to play South Africa was conceived when Roland came to the country to appear as part of the Heineken Symphonic Rock, which features South African artists performing their hits with a full orchestra.

      "Ed had such a great time here and really enjoyed working with me and my team," said Andy Mac, director of AMP Events.

      "When he told me about this all-star supergroup project, I knew I had to bring them to South Africa."

      Asked in a recent interview how KINGS OF CHAOS came together, Sorum said: "I'm at that stage of my career where I haven't really got the energy to go and try and create a band. I mean how many bands do I have in my back pocket? I'd rather just get a bunch of great guys together that everybody knows and go and play a bunch of shows to 60,000 people, like whoa. Even VELVET REVOLVER, it took us 18 months to build that up, and we we're on the road like 20-year-old kids. So my thing was, number one I don't really want to go on the road for 18 months anymore, which will basically kill you unless you're doing hard drugs and I don't do hard drugs anymore and I don't drink anymore and the rest of it's just kind of boring. So I'd rather go and do great festivals and do two- or three-week tours, go out and just have a blast and then go home and then think about the next thing. This idea that I came up with, this is like a release for all the other guys because it's fresh for them, even though we'll be playing all our hits, it's all with all our friends and the buddies that we've met through years and years of rock n roll."

      KINGS OF CHAOS toured South and Central America last year under the name ROCK 'N' ROLL ALLSTARS.

      MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist Nikki Sixx and his fiancée, model Courtney Bingham, have joined the "NOH8" campaign, started by American fashion photographer Adam Bouska as a response to Proposition 8, the notorious initiative that passed in 2008 and banned same-sex marriage in California. The "NOH8" campaign is a silent protest made up of photographs that feature their subjects with duct tape over their mouths, symbolizing their voices being silenced by Proposition 8 or similar legislation.

      Says Sixx: "Courtney and I believe in freedom of choice, no matter your sex. We believe you should be able to be yourself, love who you want and not be criticized for it. We believe in LOVE!"

      Four years since its inception, the NOH8 campaign has grown to over 30,000 faces and continues to grow at an exponential rate. The campaign began with portraits of everyday Californians from all walks of life and soon rose to include politicians, military personnel, newlyweds, law enforcement, artists, celebrities, and many more.

      The NOH8 campaign has received overwhelming support from around the world, appearing on various local and national news programs and publications. The images are currently being used on various social networking sites to spread the message of equality, predominantly Facebook and Twitter. Eventually the images are expected to be compiled for a large-scale media campaign.

      The NOH8 campaign is an approved 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Funds raised by the NOH8 campaign will be used to continue promoting and raising awareness for marriage equality and anti-discrimination on a global level through an educational and interactive media campaign.

      For more information, visit www.noh8campaign.com.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/sixxnoh8.jpg
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, SOUNDGARDEN bassist Ben Shepherd told Denver Westword in a new interview that he almost became the lead guitarist for another iconic Seattle band: NIRVANA. Shepherd explained, "[Before I joined SOUNDGARDEN in 1990] I was supposed to play lead guitar for [NIRVANA] . . . The first time Kurt [Cobain, NIRVANA frontman] and I met, we were at a party in Olympia, and we were the two loners on the end of the couch, and there was a guitar there. I would always find a guitar at a party because I didn't like parties much. So I would find the guitar and space off by myself, you know? Kurt was the same way, so we wound up sharing a guitar that night, an acoustic that was there."

      Although NIRVANA ended up staying a three-piece until Pat Smear joined some years later, Shepherd did sort of end up providing NIRVANA with an early drummer. He recalled, "Chad [Channing], my old friend, we were in a band together, and I was the singer for a band . . . When we played with this band a couple of years later, there was Krist [Novoselic, NIRVANA bassist] who said, 'Hey, Ben, dude, do you think your drummer would let us use his drum set?' 'I didn't know you were in a band, Krist, cool. Sure, man.' . . . So they did, and that's how they met Chad, and he ended up joining the band."

      Channing was eventually replaced in NIRVANA by Dave Grohl, while Shepherd went on to become the bassist in SOUNDGARDEN.

      SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that Seattle's musical legacy remains as strong as ever. "It's not one of those scenes that came and went," he said. "There's still bands that make music with just as much enthusiasm, with kind of the same purity. I feel like I still carry that with me, the inspiration that came then, and really everybody else that was part of it, that's still making music and still making records, which is most of them, I feel like they feel the same way too. I feel like the records are still vibrant, and the bands are still vibrant, and the music's still great."

      SOUNDGARDEN, who reunited in 2010, just finished a North American tour and will next play Mexico City on Friday (May 31).

      The quartet has been touring in support of "King Animal", its first album of new material since 1996.
      Vicki L. Kroll of the Toledo Free Press recently conducted an interview with QUEENSRŸCHE vocalist Geoff Tate. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      On the cover of the new album from his version of QUEENSRŸCHE, "Frequency Unknown", which features a fist brandishing three rings — one with an F, another with the QUEENSRŸCHE logo and one with a U:

      Tate: "I had the idea for the album cover. I used my fist for a model. I don't have any hair on my knuckles, so I wanted it to be a little more masculine-looking fist, so [the artist] used a different hand model."

      On the "Frequency Unknown" album title:

      Tate: "Legend is that when you're creating music and you're putting a mix together and you're blasting in the studio, all these sounds are kind of disassociated until you dial in this certain frequency of equalization that brings all the notes and the whole mix together; it becomes incredibly focused at that point. It's this unknown frequency that you're always looking for, and nobody knows what it is. You just start fiddling with the dials until it sounds good to everybody."

      On the legal dispute with his former bandmates over the rights to the QUEENSRŸCHE name:

      Tate: "I filed an injunction against the other guys to get them to stop using the name [QUEENSRŸCHE], so both parties wouldn't use the name until we settled our dispute. But, unfortunately, that didn't work. The judge gave both parties permission to use the name for the year prior to the court ruling. I, for one, have just been going about doing what it is I do. I put together a band, made a record and put it out, and I'm touring with the name of my band and continuing on until November when, hopefully, this all will be settled."

      On his current QUEENSRŸCHE tour, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of the band's "Operation: Mindcrime" album:

      Tate: "It was a very good album, well done. It was an interesting blend of types of songs, catchy melodies, it had a very dark kind of sinister sort of feeling about a lot of the music. It had a story line; it had characters that people related to; it had a story that people related to once they realized it was a story.

      "Looking back on 'Mindcrime', it had a $4 million promotional budget at that time. By today's standards, the new record ['Frequency Unknown'] has a $1,000 promotional budget. It's a whole different industry now than it was then."
      MEGADETH will sign copies of its new album, "Super Collider", at the following HMV stores in the United Kingdom:

      June 03 - Newcastle (56 Northumberland Street)
      June 04 - Glasgow (235 Buchanan Street)
      June 05 - Manchester (90 Market Street)
      June 06 - London (150 Oxford Street)

      350 wristbands for access to each singing will be available from each store on the day of the event from 9 a.m. on a first-come-first-served basis, one per customer only, no reservations, while stocks last, subject to availability. Please note, band will only be signing copies of the new album, "Super Collider".

      "Super Collider" is scheduled for a June 4 North American release via MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

      "Super Collider" track listing:

      01. Kingmaker
      02. Super Collider
      03. Burn!
      04. Built For War
      05. Off The Edge
      06. Dance In The Rain
      07. Beginning Of Sorrow
      08. The Blackest Crow
      09. Forget To Remember
      10. Don't Turn Your Back…
      11. Cold Sweat

      The album will be available as a limited-edition CD with 3-D cover and bonus tracks, regular CD, regular LP, limited LP plus a bonus colored seven-inch single with two bonus tracks, and a download voucher.

      As previously reported, MEGADETH will guest on the nationally syndicated radio show "Rockline" with host Bob Coburn on Monday, June 17 at 8:30 p.m. PT / 11:30 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to speak with MEGADETH by calling 1-800-344-ROCK (7625). The show will be streamed on the "Rockline" web site for two weeks beginning the afternoon after the live broadcast.

      "Super Collider" is MEGADETH's first release since the band's recent split with Roadrunner Records.

      STONE TEMPLE PILOTS members Robert DeLeo (bass), Dean DeLeo (guitar) and Eric Kretz (drums) last week filed a lawsuit against their former lead singer Scott Weiland claiming that he sabotaged their 20th anniversary tour by being chronically late for performances and missing promotional gigs. They also allege Weiland refused to communicate with other bandmembers in an attempt to "hijack" the tour.

      STP officially fired Weiland in February after weeks of rumors about his status, issuing a terse statement that read, "STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland."

      This was the second time that the band has parted ways with its often troubled frontman, following a split in 2002.

      In a new interview with AZCentral.com, Weiland states: "Originally, before the whole STP thing blew up, I said, 'Look, we need to take a break. We need to make an album. We've been playing the same (expletive) set for four years. Without a change. We've been watching ourselves go from playing 20,000-seat arenas to county fairs and 2,000-seat casinos.' I said, 'I will not sit around and destroy the brand of this band. I will not do it. Will not do it. We have to get in the studio and make new music.' That's what we loved to do in the first place. We were artists. We were creators. They didn't see things the same way."

      He continued: "They had different management. Their managers, who are just basically booking agents, to put it lightly, they have no problem with STP and its legacy being destroyed. A 22-year band who sold more than 40 million records and had numerous No. 1 hits, numerous No. 2 hits, top 5, top 10. Two Grammys. They don't give a (expletive). As a matter of fact, I think they're getting paid per hour. So I wouldn't (expletive) do it. And they can't do it without me… So they can say 'Guys From STP.' But they've already done two bands and failed."

      "We were supposed to [play the entire album] 'Core' [on tour] because it was the 20th anniversary of 'Core'. There was supposed to be a new greatest-hits album, a boxed set, everything, which (guitarist) Dean (DeLeo) had originally agreed to and backed out. And I was giving all this press, saying we were doing this. We were booked into all these huge places.

      "As soon as promoters found out that's what we were not going to do, everything got pushed in, shut in. We were playing theaters. Now, is that how I want to see STP now? Not at all. Not the band that I started. Not the band that I named. Not the band that when I was in Huntington Beach, took a shot and called Robert DeLeo at his apartment, doing nothing in music, living with his girlfriend, and said, 'Hey man, would you like to do a band?' It was with me and Corey (Hicock) at the time, my best friend. And eventually, he said yes. Then, we got (drummer Eric) Kretz and the whole evolution of it. We went into MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, then STP. But do I want to see that, everything that we grew turn into a circus sideshow? No (expletive) way."

      Asked about where things stand between Weiland and his former bandmates, the vocalist stated: "I don't really think about it a lot. I think about how disrespectful they are, sometimes, in between a sip of coffee and a hit of my cigarette. I think about how selfish they are and how much it blows me away that after two times of trying this, they still think they have any opportunity of doing it without me. And it's not me saying that I'm the greatest, because you know what? I'm not. John Lennon. Paul McCartney. They are ... better than I am. But as far as this band goes? The vision? The artistic direction of the band? And trying to keep them from sounding like RUSH? I'm sorry. I have to be totally honest. It was me. I'm guilty. I kept them from doing it. That's all I've got to say."

      Fans were shocked when STONE TEMPLE PILOTS made a surprise appearance at a radio festival in the Los Angeles area on May 18 with LINKIN PARK's Chester Bennington making his debut as the new STP lead singer.

      The group performed a new song called "Out Of Time" at the show, putting a studio version online earlier in the month. The DeLeo brothers and Kretz now claim in the lawsuit Weiland got vindictive and tried to interfere with the release of the single. Weiland's lawyer, according to the lawsuit, called the head of programming at the Los Angeles radio station KROQ and said if the station played "Out Of Time", it would be infringing on Weiland's rights.

      The suit notes that STP "plans to record a seventh studio album, its first with Bennington," which confirms Chester's recent statements that he was planning on doing more recording and touring with STP, while remaining in LINKIN PARK.

      SLAYER's Tom Araya and Kerry King have announced that drummer Paul Bostaph has rejoined the band on a full-time basis. Bostaph will be behind the drum kit beginning June 4 when SLAYER kicks off the first leg of its 2013 international tour in Warsaw, Poland. EXODUS' Gary Holt will continue to fill in for fallen guitarist Jeff Hanneman.

      SLAYER's 2013 itinerary will have the band playing 35 dates that will include headline shows as well as a number of major summer festivals in Europe, Eastern Europe and South America between June and October.

      "Paul's a great drummer and a good friend, and we're very happy that he's decided to rejoin the band," said Tom Araya. "We're still pretty numb from the loss of Jeff, but we don't want to disappoint our European and South American fans, and we need to begin moving forward... Having Paul back in the band makes that a whole lot easier."

      "I'm very excited to be rejoining SLAYER," added Bostaph. "We spent a very intense ten years of our lives together, had a lot of fun, made a lot of great music, so for me, this feels like coming home."

      Bostaph was SLAYER's drummer from 1992 until 2001 and recorded four albums with the band — the gold-certified "Divine Intervention" (1994), the 1996 punk covers album "Undisputed Attitude", "Diabolus In Musica" (1998), "God Hates Us All" (2001) that received a Grammy nomination for "Best Metal Performance", as well as the DVD "War At The Warfield" (2001), also certified gold. In addition to SLAYER, Bostaph has been a member of FORBIDDEN, EXODUS, SYSTEMATIC and TESTAMENT.

      In a 2003 interview with the San Francisco-based Internet music magazine Perfect Pitch Online, Bostaph broke his silence regarding the real reason he left SLAYER in December 2001. An official press release issued by the SLAYER camp had listed a chronic elbow injury as the reason for Bostaph's departure while a number of people had speculated that he left the band in order to join SYSTEMATIC. According to Paul, however, his reasons for leaving were purely musical.

      "I didn't leave SLAYER because of an arm problem, and I certainly didn't leave SLAYER to join SYSTEMATIC," Paul told Perfect Pitch Online. "I was ready to go. It was nothing personal towards anybody in the band, it was just my time to leave. Musically, I wanted to do something else. And in terms of the problem I had with my arm, I re-aggravated an old softball injury by lifting up a laptop at the airport. That happened right at the beginning of the tour, and it never had time to heal. But even at that point, I was considering moving on from the band."

      He continued: "SLAYER's a great band, and I had a lot of fun playing with them, but I have to feel like I'm taking chances musically.

      "The first time I left SLAYER, I did [a project called] THE TRUTH ABOUT SEAFOOD — sure, it never got signed, but I enjoyed it a lot. SLAYER took my drumming to a new level, but there are also other levels of drumming that I haven't even touched yet. I want to become a more eclectic drummer."

      Original SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo sat out the band's recent Australian tour due to a contract dispute with the other members of the group. Filling in for him was Jon Dette (TESTAMENT, ANTHRAX).

      Paul Southwell of SF Media recently conducted an interview with metal drummer Jon Dette (TESTAMENT, SLAYER, ANTHRAX, HEATHEN). A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

      On pulling double duty with SLAYER and ANHRAX on Australia's Soundwave festival dates:

      "I definitely had my work cut out for me. I can do it with sleep, vitamins and a lot of supplements. It would be easier to sit on the seat than to jump off the riser. I jump about to get some blood flowing through my legs. That is why I stand up and get off the riser every now and then."

      "It has been an amazing challenge and experience. I don't know how many liters of water, but I would say I drink up to a gallon and a half or water daily, which is maybe four liters of water. For Soundwave, with the ANTHRAX set, the first two shows were in direct sunlight and it's warm up there, man. It was humid but wasn't quite as warm on the night you saw but you definitely have to keep yourself hydrated.

      "I have two monitors [during SLAYER] that are sitting on the riser behind me. The only thing coming through them are my own nice drum mix and Kerry [King; guitar] plus a little bit of Gary [Holt; guitar] for some songs. Kerry starts with the riff so I'm going off that and need to hear him to be locked together on those hits. There is no Tom [Araya; vocals/bass] in my monitor at all. Sometimes singers chant and talk to the crowd between songs but if I hear that, I get lost so that is the reason for no vocals."

      On playing the material that was originally recorded and performed by SLAYER's Dave Lombardo and ANTHRAX's Charlie Benante:

      "Well, I've been a fan of them since I started playing drums, so I have a foundation of their style. To fill both Charlie and Dave's shoes feels natural for me. Also, I play in a similar style so everyone is comfortable. We've rehearsed cues for live. Before the first show I did with SLAYER, I'd rehearsed for three days with Kerry, so the first show we did on stage was the first time with Tom in sixteen years. No rehearsal or soundcheck, but Tom said it felt like we'd been jamming for years. If I make them feel comfortable and play the songs where both the band and fans think it doesn't feel like a first show, then I feel I have done my job."

      On the changes in drumming over the last twenty years:

      "People have gotten faster. A lot are now relying on technology such as triggers. That is not a bad thing, but there is a style that has evolved with blast beats so people have just become very technically oriented. It is amazing what some of these guys are doing."

      On Lars Ulrich's (METALLICA) drumming style:

      "When I started playing at fourteen, I gravitated towards METALLICA, and Lars did come up with some great stuff back in the day. I haven't followed METALLICA records lately, so I cannot comment on his style today. On 'Master Of Puppets' and on '…And Justice For All', he is doing some great stuff. The drum arrangements were tasteful. I haven't followed them since the 'Black' album [1991's 'Metallica'] but I have listened to them since, of course."

      Fan-filmed video footage of DOWN's May 25 performacne at Maryland Deathfest XI festival in Baltimore can be seen below.

      DOWN's latest EP, "Down IV Part I - The Purple EP", was released on purple vinyl on February 26.

      "Down IV Part I" sold 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart.

      "Down IV Part I - The Purple EP", DOWN's first in a series of four EPs to be released over the next few years (with a year between EPs), each touching on a different aspect of the band's sound, came out on September 18, 2012.

      "Down IV Part I - The Purple EP" heralds the sound of DOWN going back to its roots, with influences from BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS and WITCHFINDER GENERAL.
      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190620

      Roger Scales of TheyWillRockYou.com recently conducted an interview with BLACK STAR RIDERS drummer Jimmy DeGrasso. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      TheyWillRockYou.com: Your new band BLACK STAR RIDERS was born from the last incarnation of THIN LIZZY. With the amount of talent contained in BLACK STAR RIDERS, does it feel like a brand new band for you with something to prove?

      DeGrasso: Boy, that's an interesting question. In some ways, I think so. A lot of people were curious what we were going to do. The band had a solid foundation, so I do think there was an expectation for something solid. The last lineup of THIN LIZZY did really well. It did so well that Scott [Gorham, guitar] felt he needed to create a musical entity outside of the LIZZY legacy. He started to create some new material with Damon [Johnson, guitar] and Ricky [Warwick, vocals/guitar] and that's how BLACK STAR RIDERS was born. There were a lot of people that wanted it released as THIN LIZZY and others that were vehemently opposed it being released as THIN LIZZY. It's been a very unusual situation (not in a negative way) of what are we going to do with this great music? At the end of the day, after much debate, we ultimately decided to just change the name. Honestly, not much has really changed other than, with no disrespect to [THIN LIZZY drummer] Brian [Downey], the drummers have changed because Brian decided that he didn't want another round of a heavy touring cycle this year. Something I totally understand, because it's really hard to be away from home. When we decided not to continue on with the name THIN LIZZY, something that we really could have done, the record label [Nuclear Blast], after considering it for a day or so, still wanted to release this because they felt so strongly about the material. It wasn't the name THIN LIZZY that had attracted them to the project but the strength of the songs themselves.

      TheyWillRockYou.com: Were all five of you actively involved in the writing process for you debut album, "All Hell Breaks Loose"?

      DeGrasso: No, not for the most part. A few things here and there. They [Scott, Damon and Ricky] had been working on these songs for the better part of two years, and there were a few things that I had listened to initially in demo format that was in acoustic guitar with Ricky singing, so I had to then make something out of it. The funny thing about the song "Bound For Glory", it was never demoed in any format. It was something that Damon and I had been messing around with in an L.A. rehearsal room the day before we went to the recording studio. Damon was, like, "I've got these chords and I have this idea. Let's just jam on this." We started messing around with it, and within about thirty minutes, we had this thing pieced together. We did a little changing here and changing there and I thought it had some potential for a cool song and didn't really think much of it because we already had a lot of material all ready to go. We took it and tracked it a couple of days later with Kevin [Shirley, producer] and I thought it was really starting to sound good. Then Scott came in and he added a guitar lead. I was in the control room with Kevin and we both started laughing and then we both said, "OK, now it sounds like THIN LIZZY!" As soon as you put Gorham on it, it sounds like THIN LIZZY. Another funny story along with this one, there was a band right next to us in the studio in L.A., and one of their assistants told me this he was right outside our room while we were tracking and he's, like, "These guys have really copped the whole THIN LIZZY vibe. Whoever these guys are, they owe a lot to THIN LIZZY." When I told him who we were, he was, like, "Oh, never mind!" I've heard a lot of different takes on the record so far. Somebody said to me it really could have been the next THIN LIZZY record. Couple of people at the label have also said that also and I take it as a compliment. It wasn't premediated with that sole intent. I know these guys well and I know how they create and they didn't just sit down and say, "Let's write a THIN LIZZY-type song." It's just the way they write. Damon has been a huge THIN LIZZY fan since he was a little kid and Ricky has the whole LIZZY legacy in his bloodline as well, so working with Scott, the songs just flowed naturally. I hear hints and traces of that here and there throughout each track. It's not intentional. Really, it just happened. The creative process has been really interesting to watch, because it's been really organic — no premeditated notions to do one thing over another. I've been in bands where the whole focus of the song is, "OK, we are going to cop this vibe, we are going to sound like this, I got this idea from this other single I heard," and so on. There is no discussion like that in this band. We just come up with licks and ideas and just sort of piece them all together. We are still writing even now, even though the record is done. We had 24 songs for this record. As soon I said I would do this back in October [2012], they sent me demos. Then they sent me more demos. Then they sent me demos that weren't even demos they were just Ricky and Damon singing some ideas on acoustic guitars. So then they were like make a drum thing out of this. OK… all right. That's still going on now. They have all still been writing and I know that there are plans to write when we go to Europe in early June. Right now all of the creative juices are really flowing so we want to take advantage of it. I've been in bands were there were no creative juices flowing, because they have all dried up. It's a really exciting time for all of us.

      TheyWillRockYou.com: There is quite a buzz about your first single, "Bound For Glory". Was it tough to pick a first single?

      DeGrasso: Yes, it really was. Working with Nuclear Blast, we don't have the traditional label/band relationship. Like, back in the day, you [used to] have an A&R guy who says, "You need a couple of songs like this." "Oh, I don't hear a single." "Go back and write a couple more songs like this." Then suddenly he says, "OK, that's your single." Then you focus everything on that one song because that's the one that's going to radio first. Radio is a lot different now, so that methodology is outdated. We basically had the record completed, and we were all listening to it and I had a couple of thoughts, and I think based on that, everybody was pretty much on the same thought process, and the label had their point of view. It pretty much could have gone a couple of different ways for me, and that was the one that came up and I said, "Yes, OK." Ultimately, at the end of the day, it really is the band's say for the final decision, but we want to be working with the label and forge that lasting relationship. I thought it was a good pick. I think it's a good representation of the band, along with a strong song.

      Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER are in the studio recording the follow-up to their Grammy-nominated album "A Dramatic Turn Of Events". According to a new online post by the band's guitarist, John Petrucci, "all vocals are done" and he is currently "cutting solos" for the CD, which is expected at the end of the summer via Roadrunner Records.

      Asked whether having drummer Mike Mangini involved in the songwriting process this time around has made a difference in the new CD's overall sound, keyboardist Jordan Rudess recently said: "It really has. This is the first album where Mike Mangini [who joined the band in Ocober 2010] has been there and really part of the writing process. He's such a sweet guy and he has so much energy, and it's just great to have that energy involved when we're writing the music, 'cause he'll come up with stuff that's really cool. We'll be composing along our merry way and stop to maybe look at the next part, and he offers this other perspective which we never had in the same way that we have it with him, which is that he has a super math brain — a rhythmic math brain; he's really an expert in that field, more so than myself or [guitarist] John Petrucci or anybody in the band — so he can say, 'Guys, if you play 10 measures at 7, and if you play triplets five times, and you do this and that, it's all gonna equal out in 21 measures. Go ahead and try it.' And at first, we're , like, 'What?' But he kind of sees that; he sees that map."

      In a recent interview with Roadrunner Records, Petrucci stated about the making of DREAM THEATER's new CD: "First of all, it's been going great with [Mangini], and as much as we've been a band together for about 15 years, we haven't really experienced that process together. We've been in the studio for a few weeks now, and he's been amazing. Chemistry is great, the writing process and the whole vibe is great, and his role is to let his personality shine as a drummer, creatively and to have his input and his musical personality really come through. And I gotta tell you, it's happening. When people hear the drumming on this album, they're gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn't there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he's just Mike Mangini unleashed. It's all him. It's all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy's an animal."

      "Live At Luna Park", DREAM THEATER's live concert captured on 2DVD, Blu-ray, Digital Video, 2DVD/3CD, Blu-ray/3CD, and a deluxe edition (2DVD/Blu-ray/3CD), will drop later this year via Eagle Rock Entertainment.

      "Live At Luna Park" was filmed over two nights in South America — home to one of DREAM THEATER's most ardent fanbases. The DVD was filmed August 19 and August 20, 2012 at Estadio Luna Park in Buenos Aires, Argentina after a 15-month world tour, hitting 35 countries.

      The Mayor and City Council of Fontana California — the "City Of Action" — invite all to celebrate its Fontana Days Festival Centennial Celebration in grand fashion when hometown star Sammy Hagar serves as the Honorary Grand Marshal of the 2013 Fontana Days Parade.

      Born and raised in Fontana, California, Hagar has gone on to become a Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer, #1 New York Times best-selling author, philanthropist and entrepreneur, known to the world simply as the Red Rocker. Hagar's participation brings extra excitement to a day that also includes a world class carnival zone and the 58th annual Fontana Days Run And Fitness Expo.

      "It's an honor," said Hagar about his return to Fontana and being asked to serve as Grand Marshal for the Centennial. "Something about your hometown never leaves you."

      Mayor Acquanetta Warren says of Hagar: "His unequaled ability to entertain and thrill audiences as well as his unstoppable entrepreneurial spark, are rivaled only by his devotion to philanthropy and giving as he hosts several charity events each year benefitting local organizations all around the country. His work ethic, determination and innovative spirit speak highly of his character and his deep Fontana roots."

      The parade kicks off at 11:00 a.m. beginning at the corner of Arrow Boulevard and Sierra Avenue and concludes at Veterans Memorial Park located at 17295 Merrill Avenue, the site of the carnival. The parade is free and is open to all.

      The Fontana Days Centennial Celebration runs from Thursday, May 30 through Sunday, June 2, 2013 concluding with a Grand Finale Firework Show.

      For a complete list of events and times or for more information regarding the Fontana Days Festival or the Fontana Days Parade, please call (909) 350-7655 or visit the city's web site, www.fontana.org.

      A cover version of the MEGADETH song "How The Story Ends" from Italian guitarist Aldo Giuntini's GIUNTINI "Project IV" album can be streamed in the YouTube clip below. Released on May 24 via Escape Music, the CD features lead vocals by none other than Tony Martin (pictured below; ex-BLACK SABBATH), with the help of Ezio Secomandi (on drums), Dario Patti (on keyboards) and Fulvio Gaslini (on bass).

      Says Martin of the "How The Story Ends" cover: "[This is] not my usual style but [it was] MASSIVE fun to do ... Respect to the deths \m/\m/ ... ohhhhhh yeah!"

      Regarding the six-year gap between the last two GIUNTINI albums, Aldo says: "My way of writing and producing the songs needs a lot of time. One could say I am a perfectionist, but when I have musical ideas for my guitar, I often have the other guys working with their own inputs: Also I need to have Tony Martin to work on the lyrics at the end, so this takes away a lot of time."

      He adds: "I wanted to have Tony again, because he is my favorite voice and I think that the blend of our styles is just perfect!

      "'Project IV' continues the line of 'Project II', 'III', musically and I'm sure that who loved my second, and third work will appreciate the 'IV' album in the same way and more, since the production work is a lot improved this time and produced by Dario Mollo (MOLLO / MARTIN)."

      According to a press release, "The sound of Giuntini's work is a combination of the warmth and the power of BLACK SABBATH's 'Headless Cross', 'Tyr', RAINBOW's 'Long Live Rock & Roll' and 'Rising' and DIO's 'Holy Diver' with energetic sound of LOUDNESS, the Japanese metal heroes! Giuntini's guitar playing is mainly influenced by Akira Takasaki, Vivian Campbell, Edward Van Halen, Jake E. Lee, John Norum and, of course, Yngwie Malmsteen."

      GIUNTINI "Project IV" track listing:

      01. Perfect Sorrow (3:08)
      02. Born In The Underworld (5:17)
      03. Shadow Of The Stone (3:58)
      04. Cured (4:08)
      05. I Don't Believe In Fortune (4:03)
      06. If The Dream Comes True (4:45)
      07. The Rise And Fall Of Barry Lyndon (4:33)
      08. Bring On The Night (4:20)
      09. Not The Jealous Kind (4:32)
      10. Saint Or Sinner (3:57)
      11. Last Station: Nightmare (5:19)
      12. How The Story Ends (4:24)
      13. Truth Never Lie (5:12)

      British thrashers ONSLAUGHT — who are celebrating their 30th anniversary in 2013 — have set September 13 as the European release date for their sixth studio album via AFM Records. The follow-up to 2011's "Sounds Of Violence" is once again being recorded, mixed and co-produced by Jacob Hansen at Hansen Studios in Ribe, Denmark.

      Comments the band: "What a totally crazy week this has been in the ONSLAUGHT camp! Nige Rockett and Andy Rosser-Davies have completed the recording of all 36 rhythm guitar tracks for the new 'SLAUGHT album, Mic Hourihan has completed all the drum tracking (which I can honestly say sounds truly fucking explosive!!). Things are rocking harder than we could have ever imagined right now...

      "In other news, we are extremely stoked to welcome Pär Olofsson on board as the band's artist for the new album sleeve. The first rough sketches are awesome and in a very different style from every other album cover we have made. [We] can't wait to see the final design!

      "Also been speaking to a very good friend and A&R guy from London Records-era about something which is very very interesting, and to cap off the week of madness, we are to take part in the longest in-depth interview we have ever done with our friend Laurent from Snakepit fanzine... No rest for the wicked."

      ONSLAUGHT will headline the first Slaughterfest across Europe in October, with German cult thrashers EXUMER, MPIRE OF EVIL and death metal legends MASTER completing the bill.

      Fans will have the opportunity to take part in meet-and-greet events on selected dates.

      ONSLAUGHT's last tour saw the band performing its 1986 album, "The Force", in its entirety. The band also recorded a new version of its classic song "Metal Forces", for inclusion as a bonus track on the re-release of the band's 1986 album, "The Force", available on AFM Records. The set contains revised artwork and some sleeve notes written by Rockett.

      The band's fifth album, "Sounds Of Violence", was released in January 2011 via AFM Records.

      ONSLAUGHT recruited Michael Hourihan (EXTREME NOISE TERROR, DESECRATION) to play the drums following the departure of Steve Grice in 2011.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/onslaughtnewalbum2013.jpg

      Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metallers OPETH has issued the following update:

      "Well, we just got back home after over 200 shows in support of 'Heritage'. It's been a fantastic experience with many odd, great, wonderful memories. Our collective brains have a lot to take in.

      "We want to say thanks for all your support. We've had an amazing run, travelling around the globe multiple times to play for you guys.

      "Ah, the memories. We've played in the Maldives in front of a muslim crowd. Saw women in niqabs and burqhas headbanding to 'Deliverance'. Played in what looked like a rainforest fortress in Singapore. Almost got caught in the recent Oklahoma tornados. Got snowed in in Sweden of all places. Hit my head in a bus in Minneapolis and canceled (gasp!) a show. Stadium rock in Helsinki. Two runs in Australia, two runs in Japan. The amazing response in South America. Fucking great response pretty much everywhere.

      "MASTODON, GHOST, KATATONIA, thank you! Hecklers and obsessive fans shoulder to shoulder. Lovely North America taking such good care of us. Europe, Scandinavia took us once again under its wing.

      "Getting pretentious now! I'll stop! Just want to say THANK YOU! From us... OPETH!"

      Asked about the progress of the songwriting sessions for OPETH's follow-up to 2011's "Heritage" album, Mikael told Brutalitopia: "I don't really know what's gonna end up on the record, but I have three ideas right now. And I've been working a little bit in between tours, which I don't necessarily do; I usually have a completely clean slate, like a clean calendar, before I really into the songwriting. But I have made some good progress."

      He continued: "I have maybe 25 to 30 minutes of music, and it's three songs, so they're quite long. And one of them is

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)