Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Queensryche, Stone Temple Pilots, Jack Russell's Great White, Children of Bodom and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2013
      Robert Cavuoto of Guitar International recently conducted an interview with JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford and guitarist Richie Faulkner. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      Guitar International: Some of the songs performed on your new DVD, "Epitaph", are 20, 30, and even 40 years old. They really stand the test of time and sound fresh and not dated like so many '80s bands. What's your take on that?

      Rob Halford: [laughs] You're right. A pop song from the '60s sounds like a pop song from the '60s, as it should. There are subtle differences, like in the production of "Turbo Lover" is different than the production of "Nostradamus". There are certain rock songs that work well today as they did 20, 30, 40 years ago when you play them live, with the modern guitar and drum sound; there is a fluid connectivity that pulls it altogether and makes it work. Having said that, when you strip a song down to its bare bones, if it's a good song, it should last.

      Guitar International: I think PRIEST is one of those rare bands that can go out and play some of the more obscure tracks and diehard fans will go crazy. Is it tough to pick a list that satisfies everyone?

      Rob Halford: It's difficult. When you have the good luck and fortune to have a long life in rock 'n' roll, the longer you're in the game, the more difficult it is because your material is backing up behind you. You have to get the right balance and there are always a handful of songs that you've gotta play, like "Breaking The Law" and "Living After Midnight". The fans made you famous for those songs. Once you got those set, we look to bring in songs that offer a different texture and dynamic. That's when you look at the little gems like "Starbreaker", "Blood Red Skies" and "Never Satisfied". You listen to them and play them and start to make sense of the show. Every song is given its moment, with its smoke, fire, video, lighting, and costume changes. It lives for three-plus minutes. It's like you're watching an opera or a musical. You have to think all of that through. Then you go into rehearsal and try it out and you get a hole in one. You don't have to make changes. Maybe part of it is instinct and part of is intuitive. We seem to have it right from the get-go.

      Guitar International: When we last spoke, you said you were in the infancy of writing new songs for the next PRIEST CD. What is the status and do you have any working titles?

      Richie Faulkner: No working titles that we can share as of yet, but we are working on the CD.

      Rob Halford: The overarching structure and statement of this record is full of PRIEST tradition and heritage. It will be as unique in its own life as all the other records we have made in the past. It's the right record we need to make after "Nostradamus". "Nostradamus" was a wonderful achievement but it had a different emotional texture. We need to get back into the groove of metal, heavy riffs, and screaming vocals — all the classic elements of the band. We are not going retro. We know the type of music we need to play. We didn't commit to a timetable; the label is really supportive so we have this tremendous respect for each other. They know we are doing our best to make another great metal record for them. It's coming along great; I think we can optimistically be finished at the end of this year.

      Guitar International: Are you writing together in the studio?

      Richie Faulkner: Yes, about for two months last year, Rob, Glenn [Tipton, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist] and I got together and share ideas to see what sticks. The creative is not being stifled by three-minute song format. There are no confinements or deadlines. We are trying to experiment with some different things.

      Rob Halford: It's fun and thrilling when the three of us get together to write. We will be in the studio listening to a take, and then in the background we hear Richie noodling on the guitar. I'll go, "What the fuck is that, Richie? What are you playing?" and he re-creates it. We then send him in to record it. That's the infectious side of how music works. Whenever I hear somebody else from any of the metal bands, I'm instantly inspired. I hear notes and melodies. It's like a trigger; that's what happens in your own world.

      Decibel magazine’s July issue (on newsstands in June) features a nine-page tribute to late SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman in the form of a moving retrospective obituary, some of Hanneman's most biting quotes, and a litany of heartfelt remembrances from EXODUS, Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA), AT THE GATES, TESTAMENT, CANNIBAL CORPSE and countless other contemporaries, including METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield.

      "I'm grateful to have been in the same lifetime as Jeff," Hetfield tells Decibel. "We share common ground. One being shy kids that found music to speak for us. Also grateful to have shared the stage at the 'Big Four' celebrations. Ironically, one of the best metal riffs ever, 'Angel Of Death', has taken him to yet an even better place. With love and respect in our hearts, R.I.P., Jeff Hanneman."

      Decibel's Jeff Hanneman tribute issue can be purchased here.

      Hanneman passed away on May 2 from liver failure at the age of 49.

      Members of SLAYER released a statement on May 9 saying that Hanneman died of alcohol-related cirrhosis.

      Hanneman had actually not been playing with SLAYER for more than two years since he contracted necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, from a spider bite in his backyard in January 2011. The infection ravaged the flesh and tissues of Hanneman's arm, leading to numerous surgeries, skin grafts and intense periods of rehab that forced him into semi-retirement and left him near death at several points.

      Hanneman's last appearance with SLAYER was in April 2011, when he played an encore with the band at the "Big Four" concert in Indio, California.

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/decibeljeffissue.jpg

      MEGADETH's new song "Kingmaker" can be streamed in the YouTube clip below. The track comes off the band's new album, "Super Collider", which is scheduled for a June 4 release via MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

      "Super Collider" track listing:

      01. Kingmaker
      02. Super Collider
      03. Burn!
      04. Built For War
      05. Off The Edge
      06. Dance In The Rain
      07. Beginning Of Sorrow
      08. The Blackest Crow
      09. Forget To Remember
      10. Don't Turn Your Back…
      11. Cold Sweat

      The album will be available as a limited-edition CD with 3-D cover and bonus tracks, regular CD, regular LP, limited LP plus seven-inch vinyl and as a digital download.

      In a recent interview with the "Shockwaves"/"HardRadio" podcast, Mustaine stated about "Kingmaker": "[That song] is about the epidemic we're having in our nation right now with hillbilly heroin, with everybody taking pain pills.

      "It's no secret that I had surgery on my neck. I think that when I showed up at the 'Big Four' show [at the Yankee stadium in September 2011] with a neck brace on, people kind of figured out that there was something wrong with me. It turns out that I had a broken bone in my neck and a shard of my vertebrae got into my spinal cord and was causing me tremendous pain for a very long time. I had started taking pain pills and became chemically dependent on it.

      "With my substance-abuse history, it was really hard for me to go from being an addict and an alcoholic and then getting set free from all that stuff. 'Cause I went to the whole twelve-step thing, which was really beneficial for me, but unfortunately, for me it wasn't an anonymous program; I would go in there and whatever I would say, people would talk about. So it really violated my anonymity. It's also a program that is based on God, but when I would talk about God in there, they would say, 'Ah, G.O.D. stands for Group Of Drunks.' And it's, like, 'No, it doesn't. Can't you spell, you retard? That's why you're in here.' But at the time, it was very influential in my life and very important and I respect it tremendously and I wish anybody who needs a twelve-step program will find one...

      "The song 'Kingmaker' is about how people are running from their problems… And there's a lot of that on this particular record — just looking at, like, 'Here's what I've got. What are you gonna do with it?' It's talking a lot about this generation, how people, their lives are falling apart and they just take pills. Instead of sucking up and doing what I did and going and getting the surgery and getting off the medication, they'll continue to just trudge it out until the end of their life where they just take pills until their body is eaten… And the other thing that's part of that song is talking about how when you take these things how they make you feel different. Some people, they get into that 'cause they like the way it makes you feel, 'cause it makes you kind of feel warm and fuzzy. In the song, it talks about wanting to fly and being ten feet tall. Booze does that to some people. And this is just something that, I think, if there is a way that I can help educate a lot of our fans, especially the younger ones that still have their whole life ahead of them, it's not as glamorous as you think it is to go down that path of just checking it out and drugging yourself up and not facing reality…

      "Part of what 'Kingmaker' means to me is that I am able to look back now on this whole episode of my life, being a slave to Big Pharma. You have no idea what a pain in the ass it was. In order to travel to go overseas, and I needed the medication with me, to know that if my backpack would have been stolen and my medication would have been gone, that I would have gone into serious withdrawals and been hospitalized and the tour would have been over. That kind of stuff; it's horrifying. And my heart goes out to the people that are stuck in that vicious circle and slavery to narcotics. Granted, you need it if you're in pain, but…"

      As previously reported, MEGADETH will guest on the nationally syndicated radio show "Rockline" with host Bob Coburn on Monday, June 17 at 8:30 p.m. PT / 11:30 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to speak with MEGADETH by calling 1-800-344-ROCK (7625). The show will be streamed on the "Rockline" web site for two weeks beginning the afternoon after the live broadcast.

      "Super Collider" is MEGADETH's first release since the band's recent split with Roadrunner Records.

      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190114

      MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was interviewed for the cover story in the June 2013 issue of U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      Metal Hammer: Is there a tiny part of you that enjoys provocation?

      Mustaine: No, I don't say things to get a reaction. The stuff that I write about is important to me. Some of the subjects on "Peace Sells…" are still relevant, particularly environmental issues. And the personal stuff is relevant. I've written songs about loss and pain — everyone goes through that so, no, I'm not being provocative. We actually have fun songs too. If you're pissed off, the title track on "Super Collider" or "Symphony Of Destruction" might make you feel better.

      Metal Hammer: Your mischievous sense of humour and interview rhetoric seems like it has always bordered on the self-destructive?

      Mustaine: Yeah, and it doesn't translate well, does it? Probably the biggest thing that has harmed my career is being misunderstood, but is it better to be understood or to understand? I understand much more now, so I'm less inclined to be preaching or complaining about being misquoted now. There are people who love me and people who don't, but everyone's entitled. I have love in my heart for both. I don't get mad about the people who dislike me. You can get obsessed with that. Someone doesn't like me? Tough shit for me!

      Metal Hammer: You seem fairly approachable today.

      Mustaine: I am approachable! But I have a terrible reputation. There was a guy who used to manage me, and when we had a falling out, I think he started rumours about me being difficult. But we became friends again, and reconciled. And that was all part of a process of reconciliation, including with METALLICA and [MEGADETH bassist David] Ellefson, too. And do you know what? When that happened, my injured arm and injured thumb started working again. Crazy, huh?

      The Todd La Torre-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE played a brand new song, "Fallout", for the first time last night (Saturday, May 18) at the Rock Hard Festival at Amphitheater in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be seen below.

      The Todd La Torre-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE will release its new album, simply titled "Queensrÿche", on June 25 via Century Media Records. The cover artwork was created by Craig Howell, who has previously worked on designs for "Star Wars", SLIPKNOT and "American Idol", to name a few.

      "Queensrÿche" marks the debut release from the lineup comprised of La Torre (vocals; ex-CRIMSON GLORY), Michael Wilton (guitar), Parker Lundgren (guitar), Eddie Jackson (bass) and Scott Rockenfield (drums). The drums for the album were recorded at London Bridge Studios in Seattle, Washington with producer James "Jimbo" Barton — the man who engineered and mixed the band's classic 1988 LP, "Operation: Mindcrime", and its 1990 follow-up, "Empire", and co-produced 1994's "Promised Land". The rest of the music and vocals were laid down at several different facilities on the West Coast.

      "Queensrÿche" track listing:

      01. X2
      02. Where Dreams Go To Die
      03. Spore
      04. In This Light
      05. Redemption
      06. Vindication
      07. Midnight Lullaby
      08. A World Without
      09. Don't Look Back
      10. Fallout
      11. Open Road

      Several versions of "Queensrÿche" are now available for pre-order:

      *** Standard Jewel Case Version
      Regular CD that includes a 4x4 patch.

      *** Deluxe Box Set Edition CD (North America only)

      Regular CD with the following bonus tracks:

      * Queen Of The Reich (live)
      * En Force (live)
      * Prophecy (live)
      Housed in a small box with an exclusive patch, sticker, guitar pick and button pack.

      *** 2-CD Media Book (For Europe only)
      Standard CD, plus 2nd CD with the following bonus tracks, all recorded live in Snoqualmie, WA on October 27, 2012:

      01. Queen Of The Reich (live)
      02. En Force (live)
      03. Prophecy (live)

      *** LP Version
      One LP with the standard cd inserted into the sleeve as a bonus.

      Side A

      01. X2
      02. Where Dreams Go To Die
      03. Spore
      04. In This Light
      05. Redemption
      06. Vindication

      Side B

      01. Midnight Lullaby
      02. A World Without
      03. Don't Look Back
      04. Fallout
      05. Open Road
      06. Queen Of The Reich (live)
      07. En Force (live)

      *** iTunes Digital Version
      Standard CD version, plus the following bonus tracks:

      01. Queen Of The Reich (live)
      02. En Force (live)

      Fans were treated to a taste of the new album when the band released "Redemption" and it has been garnering praise ever since. The song has been listened to over 185,000 times on YouTube since it was unveiled in March.

      Asked which album in QUEENSRŸCHE's catalog would most closely compare to what the band is doing now, drummer Scott Rockenfield told "Noize In The Attic": "Our big goal was, once we kind of made our transition last year and moved on as a band, and Todd being in the band, and our focus of the live shows and everything, it's always kind of been about looking at what really made QUEENSRŸCHE special. And for the live show, it's the old stuff. And we've been focusing a lot, in the show, doing that, for the last year, and we're continue to focus on doing that. On the record, I think the vein of what the record is a combination of all that great old stuff that we're kind of known best for. I mean, for me, I kind of summarize it by saying, to me, it's everything from the [debut] EP up to 'Empire', or maybe even 'Promised Land' at that point, which is, to me, the most defining catalog that we've ever done. And I think for this record, it's visiting that and taking that into the future."

      Added guitarist Michael Wilton: "I also think that when you hear this record, each song is gonna be unique in its own. For people that have heard the single that's on YouTube called 'Redemption'. Everybody's asking, 'Is the album gonna sound just like that?' And I can say, 'No.' What's great about this record is that every individual here was in the creative process and the writing — there was no outside writers, like [there were] on the last few albums. And it really shows, and it's a real great blend of everybody's strength and their creative elements, and the songs are definitely reflective of the personalities of this band right now."

      Continued Scott: "I think that's important. Especially what Michael was saying. I think the focus of that earlier stuff, there was a massive chemistry between all of us that really worked, and we wanted to find that chemistry again, 'cause we've, unfortunately, had to struggle with that the last few years. But we always knew that that's what we wanted to do, so now that we're able to do that, finding that chemistry and that energy that got us to make those records is what that energy now is in this record. And Michael's right: the songs, there's a great variety of things in it, but they're all QUEENSRŸCHE, they're all us doing it, it's our chemistry of working together."

      Said Michael: "If you listen to all the other albums, like from 'Promised Land' back to the EP, you're gonna hear all these dynamics, from song after another song — you're gonna hear those dynamics, and that's the same sort of approach we wanted to take on this new one."

      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190139

      Fans attending KROQ's annual Weenie Roast in Irvine, California on Saturday, May 18 got a real surprise when STONE TEMPLE PILOTS took the stage unannounced, for a blistering set with Chester Bennington of LINKIN PARK as lead vocalist.

      The crowd went wild as the band performed STP classics like "Sex Type Thing" and "Vasoline" and also debuted a brand new song, "Out Of Time" — the recording of which KROQ premiered immediately following the band's explosive 40-minute set.

      When STONE TEMPLE PILOTS bandmembers Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo and Eric Kretz began thinking of singers to accompany the new music they were working on, Bennington was at the top of the list. "Chester has a one-of-a-kind voice that we've admired for a long time," said Dean DeLeo. "We know LINKIN PARK will always be his priority, but we thought it would be cool to try something together. We managed to find the time to record a song and we're all really happy with the result."

      "I've loved STP since I was 13 years old and they've had a huge influence on me," explained Bennington. "When the opportunity came up to do something creative with them, I jumped at the chance. The guys in LINKIN PARK have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project while I've continued to work on new music with LP."

      STP officially fired Weiland in February after weeks of rumors about his status, issuing a terse statement that read, "STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." No further details have since revealed.

      This was the second time that the band has parted ways with its often troubled frontman, following a split in 2002.

      Weiland, who was about to launch a solo tour at the time of his dismissal, denied at first that he had been fired, saying that STONE TEMPLE PILOTS legally could not exist or use that name without all four members of the group in the lineup.

      He reiterated that view during an interview with a Nevada radio station, saying, "I started the band . . . there's things in place, like certain clauses that are in place that keep that from happening."

      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190126

      Jack Russell may not be the first musician that comes to mind when you think of Nashville, but the city of Nashville holds a special place in his heart, which is why he is one of the featured artists in the upcoming "Music City USA", a documentary by Chris McDaniel.

      This film is about the resiliency of this legendary town, and the musicians that call it home, have been inspired there and the incredible spirit of Nashville — Music City. The film features musicians from all genres, country, reggae, rock, etc. and the antagonist in the film is the Nashville flood. Also featured in this inspirational movie are Naomi Judd, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Charlie Daniels and many more.

      Jack talks about the healing powers of music, which have played such a huge part in his life, his recovery and his recent comeback to once again command the stage he was born to be on.

      This will be a must-see for any musician, and anyone ever touched by or inspired by music.

      For more information, go to www.musiccitymovie.com.

      Beyond The Watch recently conducted an interview with guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho of Finnish metallers CHILDREN OF BODOM. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      Beyond The Watch: You guys are set to release your eighth studio album, "Halo Of Blood" (via Nuclear Blast on June 11). Can you tell us a little bit about the record and what went into the making of the album?

      Alexi: I started writing, I think, last September maybe, when we got off the road. I took a month off or something and I started writing and then we went hit the studio late December and the whole thing was mixed and mastered by the end of February.

      Beyond The Watch: You guys seem to have reverted back to some familiar old sounds that have a very "Hate Crew Deathroll" vibe. Was it your goal to try and bring your sound back to that era of CHILDREN OF BODOM? Especially having Mikko Karmila as your recording engineer on "Halo Of Blood" (who worked on "Hatebreeder", "Follow The Reaper", "Hate Crew Deathroll")?

      Alexi: No, actually we never actually plan stuff ahead. We never talk about what we should sound like or what we should do next. When I start writing music, I just clear my head let go of everything and just kind of let it flow. To me, it's the only way to write music — just let everything come out spontaneously; that's how you keep it fresh and genuine. 'Cause I think that it needs to sound that it came straight from your heart as opposed to trying to please everyone.

      Beyond The Watch: How does "Halo Of Blood" compare to CHILDREN OF BODOM's discography? What's different about this new album compared to the rest?

      Alexi: I would say it's more diverse, 'cause it's got the old-school CHILDREN OF BODOM vibe, but also a lot of new shit in it too. Some songs are very different from anything we have done in the past, like the title track — that's the fastest song in the history of the band — and we got a track like "Dead Man's Hand On You", which is the slowest song we've ever done. It's different on almost every single level from anything we've done before. So there's stuff like that in there that makes it different. Diversity, you know.

      Jon "Fatguy" Marté of the Alabama radio station WVNA-FM (105.5 FM) conducted an interview with KORN guitarist Brian "Head" Welch on May 17 at the Rock On The Range festival at Columbus Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. You can now listen to the chat using the SoundCloud widget below.

      On how he is feeling about everything at the moment:

      Welch: "I know that there's bombs that go off in life, and there'll be more to come in the future, but right now I'm riding this wave of just, 'Man, this is awesome.' Everything is going good. My daughter is doing great. Music's doing great. I'm back with my brothers, who I've been separated from almost ten years… eight years, you know. It's just… Not to sound all positive, you know, but it's just going good right now.

      "I've learned how to deal with struggles, and so even when the struggles come, it's not a bad day; it's just, like, tomorrow's better."

      On whether it's possible to have positivity in music:

      Welch: "You're gonna be able to hear, like in the melodies and in the music, a lot of positive stuff going on with these new KORN songs. But that's me. And a lot of the other guys [in the band] have been going through a lot of positive stuff. But Jonathan [Davis, KORN singer], that poor guy just goes through hell on earth sometimes in his life. And he's been going through a lot of stuff the last couple of years, personally — like he's in a dryer tumbling around in circles; he's getting beat up — and so a lot of that's coming out in the record. He's really good at facing his pain head-on. You know, what's cool is the last… Since 2013, things have been going a lot of better for him, so I'm really glad. Ever since I got back, it seems like everyone's life is just on the right track. Not 'cause of me, obviously — it just turned out like that. But it's really good to see. Jonathan, he gets all of his passionate lyrics about life's circumstances, so he's got a lot to sing about on this album."

      On what it feels like to be back on stage with KORN:

      Welch: "I played one show so far, two nights ago, and it was just the most amazing, electric, just powerful feeling. I mean, the fan response to, like, just people having fun onstage; there's smiles even sometimes, goofing around. And then, about halfway through the set, I was, like… My body was, like, 'Dude, you haven't played an hour-and-a-half set in ten years.' My legs were starting to get all sore. 'Cause I played with LOVE & DEATH [Welch's other band], too, earlier in the night. So I'm, like, 'You've gotta be like a marathon runner to do this stuff.' So it was really kind of bittersweet. But the sweet was way better than the bitter, so who cares?!"

      On KORN's forthcoming album:

      Welch: "Dude, you could feel the realness in the music. It's true from inside of all of us, and Jonathan's lyrics and stuff. And the choruses? These are the best choruses. I love big choruses that people can just sing to. Yeah, the choruses are just huge, man. And it's really creepy, like with Jonathan and all this stuff, and me and Munky's [KORN guitarist] stuff. I'm so happy with it. Everyone who still cares is gonna share what we're feeling right now."

      The Front Row Report conducted an interview with KORN bassist Reginald "Fieldy" Arvizu on May 17 at the Rock On The Range festival at Columbus Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. You can now watch the chat below.

      KORN played its first full concert since 2005 with guitarist Brian "Head" Welch in the lineup on Wednesday night (May 15) in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, where the group kicked off a string of spring North American dates. Welch joined the group onstage for one song last year at the Carolina Rebellion festival, sparking rumors that more shows together and even a full reunion were in the pipeline. The band has also just finished recording its first studio set with Welch since 2003's "Take A Look In The Mirror".

      Asked how he felt about the hitting the stage again with Welch for a full show after being apart for so long, Fieldy said: "[I felt] excitement. Excitement, but in a different way. Because a lot of times when I feel excited, I kind of feel nauseous; I don't really know what to do with it. But I was excited with contentment. I knew it was gonna be good, I knew it was gonna be how it used to be, so there was no insecurity in my being excited. So it was a different emotion than I've ever had."

      Fieldy also spoke about the upcoming KORN album, due out in late summer, which will follow up 2011's "The Path Of Totality", a record that found the group experimenting with dubstep.

      "I guess we were just going in knowing this time that we were gonna be doing what we do, what KORN does," the bassist said. "And it probably [turned out to be] the easiest [album to make], but the most challenging too. Because you've gotta just try to be ourselves and just do what we do. And it came out as probably the best KORN CD that we've ever done."

      Wednesday night's 21-song set drew heavily from the band's early years.

      KORN has used a variety of touring guitarists since Welch's departure, without ever permanently replacing him.

      Welch left KORN in 2005 to embrace Christianity and embark on a solo career.
      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190131

      Guitarist Daniel "DL" Laskiewicz who has been writing music for Massachusetts metallers THE ACACIA STRAIN but hasn't toured with the band for several years, will not be part of the creative team on the group's future albums.

      Says Laskiewicz in a posting on his Facebook page: "Well, if you haven't noticed, I haven't played a show with THE ACACIA STRAIN in years and I've just been writing the music for them. I've been informed today that they will continue on without me, meaning shows and writing albums. This is totally understandable and I wish the band the best. I'll be around, as I'm still recording and producing and also have another project in the works. So once again, I WILL NOT be writing for THE ACACIA STRAIN anymore. It's been fun tas, later!"

      During THE ACACIA STRAIN's tenure with Prosthetic Records, the band released four acclaimed studio albums — two of which, 2008's "Continent" and 2010's "Wormwood", cracked the Billboard chart — as well as a Top 10 live DVD. To commemorate the end of an era, Prosthetic has assembled "Money For Nothing", a compilation of rarities, B-sides and previously unheard tracks by the band. The six-track release, which was released on February 19, was made available as a specially priced digital EP and a limited-edition digipak.

      "Death Is The Only Mortal", the latest album from THE ACACIA STRAIN, sold 8,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 50 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released on October 9, 2012 via Rise Records, the CD was produced by Laskiewicz at his Western Massachusetts studio.

      Sumerian Records has set an August 6 release date for "From Death To Destiny", the third album from the British metalcore act ASKING ALEXANDRIA. The CD was recorded with renowned producer Joey Sturgis (THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, EMMURE).

      A new ASKING ALEXANDRIA song "The Death Of Me", was recently released digitally via iTunes, Google Play and Amazon MP3.

      In an interview with Billboard.com, ASKING ALEXANDRIA guitarist Ben Bruce revealed that the follow-up to 2011's "Reckless & Relentless" will contain 13-15 songs, six of which will be "radio-friendly" while the rest will be "our usual balls-to-the-wall kind of stuff."

      "We spent a long time honing in on song structures and writing techniques and stuff like that, but there are still heavy songs on the record," Bruce said. "We're not just going to throw that away and kick our original fan base in the teeth by getting rid of all that. There will still be a lot of riffing and screaming. But we feel like we did find a happy medium between being heavy and then being light enough to be on radio, but still keeping the balls in the song."

      Most of the new CD was recorded at Sturgis' studio in Indiana, while the vocals and strings and choir parts were laid down at NRG Recording Studios in North Hollywood, California. "On the last one a lot of that extra stuff was all fake; we did it on computer," Bruce said. "This time we wanted to be more organic, so we got a live orchestra conducted by the brilliant Stevie Black (ALICE IN CHAINS, AVENGED SEVENFOLD) and did all the strings. Then we got a live church gospel choir to come into the studio for a few days to sing over a few tracks. It really sounds special."

      ASKING ALEXANDRIA's remix record, "Stepped Up And Scratched", came out in November 2011.

      ASKING ALEXANDRIA is:

      Danny Worsnop - Vocals
      Ben Bruce - Guitar
      Cameron Liddell - Guitar
      Sam Bettley - Bass
      James Cassells – Drums
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/askingreleasedate2013.jpg

      Brazilian metallers EMINENCE will release their fourth full-length album, "The Stalker", in August. The artwork for the CD, which includes a guest appearance by SEPULTURA bassist Paulo Xisto Pinto Jr., was created by Viktor Koen. The effort was produced by Tue Madsen (DARK TRANQUILITY, HEAVEN SHALL BURN).

      "The Stalker" track listing:

      01. Self Rejection
      02. Unfold
      03. 3 Times 6
      04. Atmosphere (intro)
      05. Veins Of Memories
      06. The Stalker
      07. Eyetricity
      08. Satellite (intro)
      09. Critical Path
      10. No Code
      11. Visions Of Hate

      A trailer for the CD can be seen below.

      EMINENCE made its U.S. live debut last October aboard The Star of Palm Beach at Pier 40, West Houston St. at West Side Highway, in New York City.

      EMINENCE's moat recent CD, "The God Of All Mistakes", was released in March 2008 via Locomotive Records.

      EMINENCE is:

      Alan Wallace - Guitar
      Bruno Paraguay - Vocals
      Andre Marcio - Drums
      Thiago Correa – Bass

      DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN, the new musical project from the minds of Rogga Johansson and Dave Ingram, is working on material for its full-length debut, to be released later in the year via Cyclone Empire Records. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include:

      * The Epoch
      * Infernal Nexus
      * Dead Man’s Switch
      * Bones Of Contention
      * The Doomsday Manuscript
      * As Leeches Gorge (Like Dying Stars)

      Dave is well known from his time as vocalist for two of England’s mightiest metal legends, BOLT THROWER and BENEDICTION, along with his Danish band DOWNLORD and his current two online radio shows, "Metal Breakfast Radio" and "Lambert's Basement". Rogga is equally legendary, with multiple bands under his belt, including PAGANIZER, RIBSPREADER, FONDLECORPSE, HUMANITY DELETE and THE GROTESQUERY, to name but a few. Joining them are Rogga's fellow PAGANIZER and RIBSPREADER members, Dennis Blomberg (guitar) and Brynjar Helgetun (drums).

      DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN's musical style has been specified as crust-riddled punk with a definite death metal edge.

      Former THE GATHERING singer Anneke Van Giersbergen will release a new studio album on September 27. A single will precede the full-length effort on August 27.

      Anneke played two exclusive U.S. shows in Chicago at the end of March. Also appearing on the bill both nights were Anneke's "dear friends" NOVEMBERS DOOM.

      Anneke van Giersbergen announced her departure from THE GATHERING in 2007. She has since released four albums on her own and with her AGUA DE ANNIQUE solo project: "Air" (2007), "Pure Air" (2009), "In Your Room" (2009) and "Everything Is Changing" (2012).

      "Everything Is Changing" was released on January 20, 2012 via PIAS Holland. The CD was recorded at Ultrasound Studios in Braga, Portugal with producer Daniel Cardoso.

      Norwegian black metallers SATYRICON recently entered the studio to begin recording their new album for a late 2013 release. The band's frontman, Sigurd "Satyr" Wongraven, states in a new online posting: "The recording is coming to an end. Next week will be the last before the mix. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel after almost four months of recording! Right now I am just looking forward to share this with you and see what you think. It will be a while though, but it will be worth it. I am sure."

      SATYRICON's new CD will feature a guest appearance by Sivert Høyem, the Norwegian singer best known as the vocalist of the rock band MADRUGADA.

      Speaking to AOL's Noisecreep at this year's Inferno festival, Satyr stated about SATYRICON's upcoming album: "To me, it sounds very authentic, it's organic-sounding. And in this digital age where music is mostly played through computers, a lot of that analog vibe gets lost in translation when you play music through medias like that, but I still wanna do it because there's nothing quite like it. To me, it just makes everything sound the way it's supposed to sound — it's dynamical; the music is alive, it's not overly compressed, the levels are not pushed. So, musically speaking, it's a very atmospheric record… This record is full of life. There are a lot of surprises here, but I think it's gonna be a record that's gonna help the black metal movement perhaps find a new way for the future."

      As previously reported, SATYRICON will perform with the Norwegian National Opera Chorus on September 8 at Den Norske Opera & Ballett in Oslo, Norway.

      A press release states: "Mixing musical modes of expression is always interesting. New sound pictures emerge, and when they are successful, new directions in style and genre are created.

      "What would a mix of heavy metal rockers and singers with operatic training produce? Let's find out! When the internationally renowned heavy metal group SATYRICON mix with the voluminous voices of the Norwegian National Opera Chorus, we can expect some thrilling surprises with two such powerful and monumental sound sources and widely divergent modes of expression come together as one.

      "Will it be operatic metal or heavy metal opera? Performed as part of the Ultima Oslo Contemporary Music Festival."