Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Rush, Saxon, Van Halen, Rob Zombie, Megadeth, Anthrax, Cinderella, Tom Keifer, Exodus, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2013
      DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan and drummer Ian Paice took part in a press conference yesterday (Thursday, April 18) in Paris, France. You can now watch video footage of the entire question-and-answer session below.

      "Now What?!", the 19th studio album from DEEP PURPLE, will be released via earMUSIC, the Hamburg, Germany-based international rock label which is part of Edel Group, on the following dates:

      * Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Spain: April 26
      * UK, France, Benelux, Poland, Czech Republic, Norway, Denmark: April 29
      * North America, Italy: April 30
      * Sweden: May 1

      The track listing for the effort is as follows:

      01. A Simple Song
      02. Weirdistan
      03. Out Of Hand
      04. Hell To Pay
      05. Body Line
      06. Above And Beyond
      07. Blood From A Stone
      08. Uncommon Man
      09. Après Vous
      10. All The Time In The World
      11. Vincent Price

      "Now What?!" will also be released in a limited quantity with a bonus track and a bonus DVD featuring DEEP PURPLE in conversation plus additional audio material. This edition will be available in a digipak with a cut out front cover. "Now What?!" will also be released as double vinyl LP containing a bonus track, as in the limited-edition CD.

      After various songwriting sessions in Europe, the band recorded and mixed the album in Nashville, Tennessee with producer Bob Ezrin (KISS, PINK FLOYD, PETER GABRIEL, ALICE COOPER, KANSAS). The CD contain 11 tracks, including "Out Of Hand", "Weirdistan", "Uncommon Man" and "Above And Beyond". The latter song references the band's late keyboard player, Jon Lord, in the lyric "Souls having touched are forever entwined."

      According to a press release, "Now What?!" was recorded with no musical rules… and it shows a modern and fresh production… to the point that DEEP PURPLE have never sounded so close to the spirit of the '70s in the last 20 years as they do now. The CD has the excellence and elegance of "Perfect Strangers" and the wild freedom of "Made In Japan".
      BLACK SABBATH kicked off its world tour earlier today (Saturday, April 20) at The Vector Arena in Auckland, New Zealand. Joining singer Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler on stage was Ozzy's touring drummer Tommy Clufetos, who also previously sat behind the kit for SABBATH's three shows last year: a warm-up gig in Birmingham, England, a headlining spot at the U.K.'s Download festival in June, and a second headlining set at Chicago's Lollapalooza in August.

      BLACK SABBATH's setlist for the Auckland show:

      01. War Pigs
      02. Into The Void
      03. Under The Sun
      04. Snowblind
      05. Electric Funeral
      06. Black Sabbath
      07. Behind The Wall Of Sleep
      08. N.I.B.
      09. End Of The Beginning (new song)
      10. Fairies Wear Boots
      11. Symptom Of The Universe (intro only)
      12. Drum Solo
      13. Iron Man
      14. God is Dead? (new song)
      15. Dirty Women
      16. Children Of The Grave

      Encore:

      17. Paranoid

      Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below.

      BLACK SABBATH's new album, "13" — the first in 35 years to feature Butler, Iommi and Osbourne — will be released on June 11 via Vertigo/Universal Republic in the U.S. and Vertigo in all other territories. The drum tracks on the group's first LP with Osbourne since 1978 were laid down by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE sticksman Brad Wilk following original drummer Bill Ward's decision to bow out of the reunion.

      Osbourne, Iommi and Butler recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles with producer Rick Rubin.

      SABBATH, with Ward initially on board, announced its current reunion in November 2011, six years after they had last played together.

      However, plans for extensive touring were curtailed by the January 2012 revelation that Iommi had been diagnosed with an early stage of cancer.

      He received treatment throughout the year, with the band initially beginning its recording sessions in London so that the guitarist could be near his doctors.

      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188984
      The members of BLACK SABBATH took part in a press conference on Thursday (April 18) at The Langham Hotel in Auckland, New Zealand as they prepared for their two shows this weekend (Saturday, April 20 and Monday, April 22) at The Vector Arena. SABBATH's record company, Universal, invited a select group of music fans to get a first listen to the band's upcoming album, "13", and singer Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler were also on hand for a brief question-and-answer session after the playback had ended.

      Radio New Zealand has uploaded an audio recording of the press conference at this location (Windows Media Player required).

      According to The New Zealand Herald, Universal issued a request to media to refrain from any questions about Osbourne's personal life — specifically his rumored split with wife Sharon and being back on the booze and drugs — or risk being removed from the press conference. Ozzy did, however, joke about using cocaine during the recording of "13". He also responded to a question about whether he was "okay" — in reference to his personal life and his admission on Facebook this week that he had been taking drugs and drinking after years of sobriety — by saying, "Okay with what? Life? I'm still breathing."

      Regarding "13", the first SABBATH album to feature Ozzy, Iommi and Butler together since 1978's "Never Say Die!", after which Osbourne was fired because of his drug and alcohol use, Ozzy said, "I always felt like there was unfinished business, so to do this album is great. It's rounded it off all very nicely."

      The first single from "13", began streaming online Thursday and arrived at rock radio stations on Friday (April 19). The song, called "God Is Dead?", is nearly nine minutes long and begins with a soft guitar, builds into a slow, doom-laden stomp, then switches halfway through into a more uptempo riff that comes the closest to the sound of the classic early SABBATH albums.

      The Rick Rubin-produced "13" comes out on June 11.

      Brad Wilk of RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE provided drum tracks in lieu of original drummer Bill Ward.

      SABBATH will also make a rare TV appearance to perform a new song called "End Of The Beginning" on the season finale of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation". The episode is set to air on Wednesday, May 15 at 10:00 p.m. ET on CBS.

      Video below: BLACK SABBATH performing live on April 20 in Auckland, New Zealand

      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189014

      Saeed Saeed of The National conducted an interview with METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich prior to the band's return to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on April 19 for a headlining performance at the du Arena, Yas Island. You can now watch the chat below.

      The National: It took METALLICA more than two decades to come to Abu Dhabi, and now you're back just 18 months after your last performance. So did you have a great time during that first show?

      Ulrich: When we were here a year and a half ago, it was really magical. And I don't say that everywhere. Obviously, [there were people there] from the UAE, but there were so many kids that had come in from Iran, from Iraq, from Jordan, from Lebanon, from Syria, from Bahrain, from Saudi, from Kuwait — lots of different kids from lots of different places, lots of different nationalities, [and] it was a great energy and a great shared experience. So when we got the offer to come back three or four months ago, METALLICA would call that a no-brainer. We just jumped on it and said, "Of course. We would love to come back." We are now slowly talking to people about what other places [we can play]. Potentially, I hear, maybe, we can play in Doha soon. There is so much passion here, and so much love for the type of thing that we do and, obviously, it is somewhat of a new frontier.

      The National: Does it feel strange for the band to be visiting new territories so deep into your career?

      Ulrich: I don't know if it feels strange; I think it more feels like it's a blessing. It's something that we're very appreciative of. When we started playing a hundred years ago, there were so many parts of the world where the type of music that we were doing was not really accepted. There were a lot of places where the type of music we were doing was not even really heard of; people didn't even know what we were doing. There were a lot of places where logistically, and practically, and there was not enough infrastructure to support a visit by a band like us. When we started, you couldn't go into Eastern Europe, there were a lot of places you could barely play in Latin America, you could barely play in many places in Southeast Asia, not a lot of bands had been to India, I don't believe anyone had been to the UAE at that time. So it's opening up, it's changing, the world is shrinking. Practically, and the infrastructures in many countries are just now getting ready to support this type of stuff and these type of events, so it's great to be in the frontlines.

      The National: It's been nearly five years since your last album, "Death Magnetic", was released. Do you feel the album resuscitated the band's career in a way?

      Ulrich: I've lived METALLICA every day of my life for 32 years. And so it never goes anywhere for me. Obviously, I am aware of press, I am aware of the sort of perceptions. You say resuscitation… When you've been doing this as long as we have, you have ups and downs… There's so much different stuff that we do. Because METALLICA likes to explore and quench our thirst for diversity and new challenges. We do many different things and not everybody appreciates that. And that's OK. Obviously, "Death Magnetic" was very positively received all over the world and I'm very thankful for that. We're now in the middle of making a new record, and so when you make a new record, you have a tendency to revisit the one you made previously, and I've heard a little bit of "Death Magnetic" over the last couple of months and it still sounds fantastic, so it will be a difficult record to follow.

      The National: METALLICA launched its own label, Blackened Recordings, last year. Any plans to re-release some of the earlier albums?

      Ulrich: Now that we own our own records and have our own label, we will probably take each album, remaster them and make them available with the latest technology and find interesting outtakes and additional things that will make it special. You do want to cash in, so if you can put some packages together that are special to the fans, it is worth doing.

      The National: You guys are also working on "Through The Never", a new 3D concert film. Can you tell us a bit about that?

      Ulrich: The show was shot in Vancouver and Edmonton, in the west of Canada, in August 2012. The production crew spent three weeks after that shooting the non-concert footage. It is a very unusual film. You've never seen anything quite like it. In theaters it will be in 3D and is coming out in America in August. We are probably 75 percent through the editing now.

      The National: How is the new album progressing?

      Ulrich: We are just writing at the moment; we haven't started [tracking] the record. These live shows help indirectly. When we are writing at home a lot, we get kind of locked into that, so getting a chance to come to Abu Dhabi and then Cape Town and Johannesburg next week is kind of METALLICA getting out of the house for two weeks. When we come back to write, we are inspired by the energy of playing to 20,000 people each night. The one thing with this band is that when things are the same too long, we want to break free of that. We have horrible attention spans.

      METALLICA's setlist for the Abu Dhabi concert was as follows:

      01. Hit The Lights
      02. Master Of Puppets
      03. The Shortest Straw
      04. Harvester Of Sorrow
      05. The Unforgiven
      06. The Four Horsemen
      07. Broken, Beat & Scarred
      08. Sad But True
      09. Fade To Black
      10. Orion
      11. One
      12. For Whom The Bell Tolls
      13. Battery
      14. Nothing Else Matters
      15. Enter Sandman

      Encore:

      16. Creeping Death
      17. Fight Fire With Fire
      18. Seek & Destroy

      Canadian rock legends RUSH were honored in the "Rock Album Of The Year" category at this year's Juno Awards (the Canadian equivalent of the Grammy Awards), for their latest studio CD, "Clockwork Angels". RUSH is also up for the "Group Of The Year" award, the winner of which will be announced during the main televised ceremony tonight (Sunday, April 21) at the Brandt Centre in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

      RUSH's first new collection of original material in over five years and their first studio release via Anthem/Roadrunner Records, "Clockwork Angels", sold 103,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 2 on The Billboard chart.

      The recording of "Clockwork Angels" began in April 2010 with Grammy Award-winning producer Nick Raskulinecz (FOO FIGHTERS, DEFTONES) — who also collaborated with the band on their last studio album, 2007's "Snakes & Arrows".

      Lyrically, "Clockwork Angels" chronicles a young man's quest across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy as he attempts to follow his dreams. The story features lost cities, pirates, anarchists, an exotic carnival, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life. The novelization of "Clockwork Angels" was written by science fiction writer Kevin J. Anderson in collaboration with RUSH drummer and lyricist Neil Peart.

      Simon Rushworth of The Journal recently conducted an interview with singer Biff Byford of British heavy metal legends SAXON. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      On SAXON's latest album, "Sacrifice":

      "We don't really have a tried-and-tested formula, even after all of these years. Look at the difference between 'Sacrifice' and 'Made In Belfast' on the new record. It's massive. There's no formula there. Sometimes SAXON songs are full-on metal and sometimes they're not. Sometimes the songs are a little more sophisticated. I just wanted 'Sacrifice', the album, to sound like I imagined it sounding when I was going through the songwriting — and it does. There are no ballads on there — it's pretty intense. I think we've broken new ground and, at the same time, gone back to our early-'80s roots. A couple of tracks are more flashy metal songs but there's a good mix."

      On sticking to SAXON's retro sound, which other bands have taken inspiration from:

      "Are they a nod to what we did in the '80s? I'm not sure. There are a lot of new metal bands out there who have a pretty retro sound and there's nothing wrong with that. I see where they're coming from.

      "As a vocalist, I just like to go to places other singers can't reach and there are certain words and certain songs that help me do that. That's why you'll hear some familiar lyrics on 'Sacrifice' — wrapped up in some fantastic new modern metal."

      VAN HALEN played its first concert of 2013 as one of the headliners of the Stone Music Festival on Saturday, April 20 at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney, Australia.

      The group's setlist was as follows:

      01. Unchained
      02. Runnin' with the Devil
      03. She's The Woman
      04. Romeo Delight
      05. Tattoo
      06. Everybody Wants Some!!
      07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
      08. China Town
      09. (Oh) Pretty Woman
      10. Drum Solo
      11. You Really Got Me
      12. Dance the Night Away
      13. I'll Wait
      14. Hot For Teacher
      15. Beautiful Girls
      16. Ice Cream Man
      17. Panama
      18. Guitar Solo
      19. Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love
      20. Jump

      Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below.

      The Stone Music Festival was inspired by a cult '70s biker film named "Stone". Released in 1974, the exploitation movie starred Ken Shorter as an undercover cop assigned to discover who is murdering members of an outlaw biker gang named the Gravediggers.

      VAN HALEN had not been seen on a stage since last spring, but along with a handful of Japanese dates and the Australian gig, the band recently confirmed its first U.S. show of 2013. The Van Halen clan and David Lee Roth will close out the annual Rock USA festival, scheduled for July 17 through July 20 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

      VAN HALEN backed out of 31 North American dates last summer, citing exhaustion, and then Eddie Van Halen was sidelined for four-to-six months after undergoing surgery for the inflammatory intestinal affliction diverticulitis.

      Roth recently gave an interview to Rolling Stone in which he expressed his desire to work on fresh material with Eddie Van Halen and tour outside the U.S., saying, "We have an audience and we have a potential future in many, many places . . . I don't know where the VAN HALEN future lies aside from the States."

      Many musicians have thought themselves filmmakers — or, worse, actors — but few have actually delivered the goods the way Rob Zombie has. In addition to having a new solo album out, the former White Zombie frontman has a new film: “The Lords of Salem,” his sixth and a slight deviation from the brutal, unpleasant and divisive horrors he’s made (including “The Devil’s Rejects” and two “Halloween” entries). But it still offers naked witches, freaky spirits and Satan’s toddler — dark things you wouldn’t expect from someone who, in person, is jolly, friendly and approachable.
      You said with this you wanted to try something different. Did you mean different from the “Halloween” films or just in general?
      Just in general. I felt like the last group of films I did were in the same wheelhouse. I just wanted to break out of that within the structure of what we were making. I hate that phrase “horror director.” It sounds so limiting. I just want to make movies. That’s why my next film isn’t even remotely a horror or genre film.
      Can you talk about it?
      It’s called “The Broad Street Bullies.” It’s the true story of the Philadelphia Flyers. Which seems, wow, why would you make that? But it’s a crazy story about when they formed the team they had this idea to make it the toughest team that ever existed. And that’s how they won the championship. Literally other teams were scared to play them.
      “The Lords of Salem” had a lower budget than you’ve had recently. Was that the plan?
      That was a freedom thing. Because after doing the two “Halloween” films, which were with Dimension films — that’s a very hands-on studio. So you’re always fighting to retain some sense of what you’re trying to do. But with this film I had complete control, contractually. That was the appeal. Working with a small budget is kind of a drag. But the other part was great.
      Those films don’t seem too constrained by studios, though.
      I’ve had what is probably a ridiculous amount of control at all times. No one’s told me who to cast and so forth. It’s more about the battle for control. It’s so tiring. You’re working long days, 14-15 hours, and you’re on the phone at lunch, constantly fighting. It’s mental torture. So to not have to do that was a relief.
      This film is less gory than your other films, with a lower body count.
      I don’t really think my films are that gory. I think “Halloween II” is pretty violent, but it’s not that gory. I’m not a fan of gore, necessarily. I think when things become too gory it just becomes cartoony — it becomes like a bloody Roadrunner cartoon. This one isn’t that violent. It’s not even that vulgar, in terms of the language. I tried to make it different. The art direction’s a lot cleaner and sparser, more composed. It’s the opposite of what I normally do.
      Related Articles
      In your films, evil isn’t always defeated. The endings are usually downers, even when the heroes live.
      I think that comes from the fact, when I was a kid watching movies, the movies I would always love, and I don’t know why, would always have endings like that. Even when the bad guys got their way, say in “Bonnie and Clyde,” there was some heroic ending where I felt bad for them. Back then movies didn’t always have happy endings. This was my big thing with “Halloween” that got misunderstood. I did a lot of research on what makes a serial killer. Obviously they’re sociopaths. It’s like that born-bad theory: they’re already wired wrong. But they usually have a really messed-up life. With “Halloween” you’re not supposed to feel bad for Michael Meyers, but there’s supposed to be a sympathy for him.
      You tend to cast a lot of the old cult movie stars, some of whom haven’t worked in ages, like “To Sir, With Love”’s Judy Geeson and “They Live”’s Meg Foster. Do you tend to become friends with them?
      Sometimes. I used to moreso in the early days. But then I realized that unfortunately it creates weirdness. Because you create friendships, but if they’re not right for this movie and don’t use them, they immediately think something’s wrong. What did I do man? Nothing you just don’t happen o be a 60 year old woman. Now I keep more distance than I used to.
      Were there non-horror film influences on this?
      Well, there’s Ken Russell. But even something like “Barry Lyndon.” The pace of it is so odd. At first it seems like, “This movie is painfully slow.” But it feels like they shot the movie in 1776, just the way it unfolds. Not that [its influence] is particularly noticeable here. Polanski’s “Macbeth,” that was a big one. That was the only movie I could think of where I liked the way witches came across on screen. They just semed nasty and dirty and real. They weren’t sexy, they weren’t spooky-witchy.
      The ending montage [spoiler], where Heidi is taken to hell, is a pretty unusual way to end the film.
      I thought how do we show this — how do we show her mind being ripped apart as she’s transported. I think if you’re going to hell, it’s not going to be an easy trip. How can I show her life being ripped apart. Everything you see in the montage is somewhere else in the film. Everything Heidi ever took in in her life is being ripped out through her brain super-fast, until she’s vacant. That’s why at the end of the movie she has no tattoos, she has nothing. She’s reborn as this Satantic Virigin Mary. You can’t show something the incomprehensible in comprehensible terms.
      On April 20, the title track and first single from MEGADETH's new album, "Super Collider", was premiered on Full Metal Jackie's nationally syndicated radio metal show. The song will be released digitally on April 23 via iTunes.

      The "Super Collider" album is scheduled for a June 4 release via MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, which is distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). Horn player Bob Findley — who previously appeared on the track "Silent Scorn" from MEGADETH's 2001 CD, "The World Needs A Hero" — is a featured guest on the song "A House Divided" on the new album. Other tracks set to appear on the effort include "Forget To Remember", "Dance In The Rain", "The Blackest Crow", "Burn", "King Maker" and "Don't Turn Your Back", a snippet of which can be streamed at MegadethGame.com.

      In a recent interview with the "Shockwaves"/"HardRadio" podcast, Mustaine stated about the "Super Collider" title track and cover artwork: "I was up in Santa Barbara, and USA Today, as a newspaper, I started reading a long time ago because it had Sudoku in it. I'm not really down with a lot of the viewpoints of the newspaper, but I kind of got used to reading it because of the puzzles in it — 'cause I love word puzzles; I like to enrich my word power. And there was a story in there about how they finally had identified the mass that goes around the molecules and stuff; it's called the Higgs Boson and we had done that with the Super Collider. And I thought, 'Wow, that's a really cool story.' Actually, the stuff's called the 'God particle.' And I thought, knowing how closed-minded people are with my faith and thinking that that's gonna change who I am as a person — which it did — and that that would also correlate into changing my guitar playing, which it didn't, I didn't wanna have a song called 'God Particle', because every village has its idiots, and unfortunately for me, a bunch of them follow me on the Internet. So we opted to call it 'Super Collider'. And this first song is kind of, like, a song about no matter how bad things get, come with me, we'll take the high road and we'll hang out and have a great time and we'll stick together until the end of the world, so to speak, when the world explodes like a Super Collider. Because the whole theory of the super collider is atoms swirling into one another at millions of miles an hour, I guess. I love the concept, I love the artwork that we have for this record — it's the Hadron Collider, and that is a remarkable machine. And if you look at the Super Collider, the thing itself — whether it does a damn bit of good or not, nobody really knows; I don't know how it's gonna correlate to lowering gas prices or anything like that, or getting people to stop trying to run everybody's lives right now and the dumbing down of America… But it's really cool if you look at how big it is. A lot of pictures on the 'Net will show this enormous machinery and guys the size of ants next to it. And the one picture that we used for our cover was, like I said, the Hadron Collider and it's just beautiful stuff, man. Science is really interesting. I mean, I don't believe in evolution, I believe in creation, so science only goes so far with me, but I really dig looking at that whole way that's set up with the tubing and the piping and the reactors and all the stuff that goes along with it. You have to see it for yourself."

      "Super Collider" is MEGADETH's first release since its recent split with Roadrunner Records.

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/megasupersingle.jpg

      Tim Louie of The Aquarian Weekly recently conducted an interview with ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      The Aquarian Weekly: You guys sound better than ever! I've felt ANTHRAX have always been there, but for some reason, the band seems to be firing on all cylinders right now.

      Bello: Thanks! I think for metal in general, let's face it, the "Anthems" [covers EP] we just did, that's what we're influenced by — these great rock songs! It's rock in general. I don't think there is a lid to where you can stop. There shouldn't be an age or anything like that. Yeah, the band is 30 years old, whatever! Alright, we put out "Worship Music". Thankfully, people took to it as we did, because we're still fans of this stuff. We think that if we relate to it and we get it, we're just one of you. That's the way I feel about it. I don't think anybody's different. We're all fans of this music.

      The Aquarian Weekly: Is that what sparked the idea to do a cover EP like "Anthems"?

      Bello: The reason why that happened, if you ever came to an ANTHRAX soundcheck, you'd probably hear every other song but an ANTHRAX song. It's only when we have to go over a part or something didn't sound right or something — it's a very rare occurrence that we'll play an ANTHRAX song. But the fun part, [RUSH's] "Anthem", Charlie [Benante, drums] and I used to jam "Anthem". It's just an extension of where we were. That's where we came from. Think about it: AC/DC, RUSH, JOURNEY… We just released the BOSTON thing on the classic web site and people are freaking on that, which is great to hear because that is what we wanted to do. We just wanted to say this is where we also came from. That gave us our start and that is what sparked us.

      The Aquarian Weekly: Can I ask about the band's recently departed guitarist, Rob Caggiano?

      Bello: Yeah, sure! Rob is in VOLBEAT now. There is no animosity. It's weird. I think that people think there is animosity. I like VOLBEAT. I wish him luck! Rob just felt the need to do something different. I get it. It's all good. We got Jon Donais from SHADOWS FALL playing with us. We are so locked and loaded. We just came back from the Soundwave festival with METALLICA and SLAYER in Australia. That was insane! Jon played great! He fit right in, he clicked right in, so it's just onward, man. You know ANTHRAX, we just keep going.

      The Aquarian Weekly: I'm glad to see ANTHRAX back in full force and full power again! Are there any plans for new ANTHRAX music just yet?

      Bello: Absolutely! That's the plan. Now, we have a couple of more tours. I think we're touring the festivals in August again, and then we'll get real about writing. I mean, we all have music written. You can feel it in the band. It's getting to that time, which is cool. There's a great energy about it, especially now, because the vibe is so good. We have our management lined up, the record company, and there's a great new fanbase along with our regular fanbase. It's just a really good time.

      Maine Music News recently conducted an interview with CINDERELLA frontman Tom Keifer. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      Maine Music News: Was there any fear in going out solo or was there huge excitement in getting to go out and do your own thing?

      Keifer: It's both. Excitement, because it was something we worked on for so long. It's always exciting and a little bit stressful and scary whenever you are going out on tour with new material. The first reason being that you spend all this time in the studio creating these tracks and making them sound exactly how you want them to sound coming out of the speakers. A lot times, the guitars are stacked and there's a lot of overdubs and stuff and there is always that, "How are we going to make it sound like this live?" You always find a way. CINDERELLA always managed to. Some of those tracks on the CINDERELLA records on "Long Cold Winter", some of those we were running three two-inch tape machines in the back of the room with, like, 70 tracks of production and overdubs. But you always find in the mix, there is always these elements that poke out, and they are the ones that you have to learn and take with you. Some of that stuff and other overdubs just sit in the background and aren't as important. So you grab the important bits, and you figure it out. That's always the first stressful thing about going out with new material. It's a little bit of a trick sometimes. Other than that, it's just fun. We really had a great time on that first leg in February, and we are getting ready to go out and do another one in May.

      Maine Music News: What do you want your fans to know about this new album?

      Keifer: It was a long time in the making, and it was made purely for the love of making music. It was produced independently of a label. I just didn't want the pressure of someone telling me when it was finished, or you are on this budget, this time frame, and this deadline. I just wanted to make a record that I really loved at the end of the day, and it was just about the music. Don't get me wrong — the CINDERELLA records were that way. We always went in and made the best music that we could. That is how we always approached it, and we were able to do that within time constraints and budgets back then. This record, I decided to do it differently, because I didn't feel that having a label involved at that point in time was going to really allow enough time to do it the way I wanted to. It was made purely for the love of music, not chasing any trends or anything. Probably 5 or 6 different trends came and went during the years we made this record.

      Maine Music News: Now that we have over 25 years to look back at the '80's, and we have an objective point of view, what was CINDERELLA doing to create that signature sound?

      Keifer: I can only speak personally. To me, the elements that I brought as the writer and singer and someone who did a lot of the guitar work, I always tried to stay true to what I grew up on and what I loved as a kid when I first heard rock music. And not only that, but going back and listening to the things that inspired those people, like what inspired the [THE ROLLING] STONES and LED ZEPPELIN. One day I realized, "Wow, it was the blues, and it was country, and it was R&B and gospel and this great American roots music." I really started digging back and listening to Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Johnny Winter, BB King and James Brown. I think it's a good thing to go beyond the things that initially inspired you and listen to what inspired them. That gives you an opportunity to interpret the music yourself, maybe in your own way. I think maybe what was unique in our sound was that the roots were pretty prevalent. You could hear country roots in "Coming Home" and "One For Rock And Roll" and "Heartbreak Station" You could hear the blues roots in a lot of stuff and could hear the straight up rock roots and harder driving stuff that was inspired by AEROSMITH and DEEP PURPLE. There was just a mix of a lot of different sounds. There was not just one flavor in the soup. I think we stayed true to the music that we grew up on. Everyone in the band grew up on all the great bands of the '70s, and all those bands had so many different colors and flavors in their soup. I think keeping your ears open, listening to a lot of different kinds of music, and trying to bring those elements into it is usually when you can come up with something unique.

      Maine Music News: In thinking back to '80s metal and comparing it to today's music, it had a distinct sound. What made that genre what it was?

      Keifer: I think it's the same formula that every decade goes through. When that starts to happen, they all start to sound the same, and the sound becomes stagnant. It wasn't just the '80s when that happened or just the 80s rock genre, it happens a lot in the music industry. I think it is twofold — first ,when artists are not digging back beyond what is currently on the charts, and second, labels only wanting to sign people that sound like what is currently on the charts. That is when music can become stagnant. I think that you always need to be true to who you are and what you do. And believe me, we caught flak from our record company when I brought in the song "Long Cold Winter" and "Coming Home". There were people at the label that thought that was a little bit of a stretch, and there were people that were trying to push us to sound more like everything else that was the hard rock sound of the day. You've got to be true to what you love. That is when people create something really unique or different.

      Keith Lovett of PopCultureMadness.com conducted an interview with guitarist Gary Holt of San Francisco Bay Area metallers EXODUS on April 18 at the Philadelphia stop of the 2013 "Metal Alliance" tour 2013 with ANTHRAX, HIGH ON FIRE, MUNICIPAL WASTE and HOLY GRAIL.

      Holt has spent the last two years filling in for SLAYER founding axeman Jeff Hanneman who in January 2011 contracted necrotizing fasciitis, likely caused by a spider bite, and has been undergoing surgeries, skin grafts and intense rehab since.

      EXODUS' latest album, "Exhibit B: The Human Condition", was released in North America on May 18, 2010 via Nuclear Blast Records.

      The CD sold around 4,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 114 on The Billboard 200 chart.

      EXODUS' previous album, "The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A", opened with 3,600 units back in October 2007.

      Guitar legend Zakk Wylde, the man who turned heavy metal touring into a journey of fantastical excess with his band BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and as lead guitarist for OZZY OSBOURNE for over 20 years, shares what really goes on behind bus windows and stage doors in the paperback edition of his book, "Bringing Metal To The Children: The Complete Berzerker’s Guide To World Tour Domination". The book, set to be released on April 9 through William Morrow, was co-written by New York Times bestselling author Eric Hendrikx.

      Beginning with Wylde's "True Rocker Test," "Bringing Metal To The Children" goes on to tell stories of wild nights on the road with some of the biggest names in metal like Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie, Slash and "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, coaches metal lovers about tour hygiene on the road, and covers both pre-show and post-show etiquette. The book also features Wylde's tales from the record business, a look at his recording studio, and world tour survival techniques.

      In support of the release, Wylde has announced a string of West Coast acoustic performances beginning April 21 in San Francisco, and ending May 1 in San Juan Capistrano, California.

      Video footage of the "Book Tour Of Doom" rehearsals can be seen below.

      A live online video stream of the first date of the tour — on Sunday, April 21 at The Independent in San Francisco, California — will begin at 8:30 p.m. PST. More information is available at this location.

      Zakk Wylde acoustic dates:

      April 21 - San Francisco, CA - Independent
      April 22 - Chico, CA - El Rey Theater
      April 24 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
      April 25 - Reno, NV - El Dorado
      April 26 - Modesto, CA - Fat Cat
      April 27 - Las Vegas, NV - Hard Rock Hotel
      April 28 - Scottsdale, AZ - Pub Rock
      April 30 - San Diego, CA - Belly Up
      May 01 - San Juan Capistrano, CA - Coach House

      KINGS OF CHAOS, the touring project featuring former GUNS N' ROSES members Matt Sorum, Gilby Clarke and Duff McKagan. along with former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach, DEF LEPPARD's Joe Elliott, Glenn Hughes from BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION and DEEP PURPLE, and COLLECTIVE SOUL's Ed Roland, made its Australian live debut Saturday (April 20) at the Stone Music Festival at Sydney's ANZ Stadium. Headlining the event were VAN HALEN and AEROSMITH. KINGS OF CHAOS will also perform in South Africa at GrandWest's Grand Arena in Cape Town on June 8 and the Sun City Superbowl, North West, on June 15 and 16.

      Fan-filmed video footage of KINGS OF CHAOS' performance can be seen below.

      According to South Africa's Tonight, KINGS OF CHAOS is the brainchild of Sorum, who asked a few of his close friends to form a band and tour the world playing each other's big hits.

      The idea for the new band to play South Africa was conceived when Roland came to the country to appear as part of the Heineken Symphonic Rock, which features South African artists performing their hits with a full orchestra.

      "Ed had such a great time here and really enjoyed working with me and my team," said Andy Mac, director of AMP Events.

      "When he told me about this all-star supergroup project, I knew I had to bring them to South Africa.

      "This is an amazing two-hour show," he continued. "SKID ROW's Sebastian Bach has been a longtime friend of the band and he will be singing the GUNS N' ROSES tracks. He has the perfect voice for the songs and kills it. He is a cool hairband rock 'n' roll wild child.

      “Besides them playing songs like 'Paradise City' and 'Welcome To The Jungle', they will also do big anthemic hits such as DEF LEPPARD's 'Animal' as well as hits from COLLECTIVE SOUL. They have some fun when they throw in the odd BILLY IDOL cover. This is going to be incredible."

      KINGS OF CHAOS toured South and Central America last year under the name ROCK 'N' ROLL ALLSTARS.
      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189018

      Music lesson web site PlayThisRiff.com is now featuring guitar lesson videos with L.A. GUNS guitarist Tracii Guns.

      At PlayThisRiff.com you will find the following lesson videos by Tracii Guns:

      * "Early L.A. Guns" (Sex Action, No Mercy)
      * "Jimmy Page Esque/One Four Five"
      * "Must Know Blues Licks In A"
      * "Must Know Blues Licks In A" (Part 2)
      * "Never Enough"
      * "Ted Nugent/Joe Walsh Esque"
      * "Ballad Of Jayne"
      * "Tracii's Home Studio" (John Bonham Drum Sounds, Busing Tracks, Condenser Microphones)
      * "Tracii's Home Studio" (Tuning Drums)
      * "Tracii's Home Studio" (Recording Drums With One Microphone)
      * "Tracii's Home Studio" (Recording Bass)
      * "Tracii's Home Studio" (Abbey Road Brilliance Control Plug In, Tape Echo On Guitar Solos)
      * "Tracii's Style" (Early Influences, Hybrid Picking)

      "Jimmy Page Esque/One Four Five" can be viewed in Flash and Quicktime HD format at this location.

      PlayThisRiff.com is owned and operated by Bob Balch from FU MANCHU.
      British thrashers EVILE celebrated this year's Record Store Day by releasing a split seven-inch picture disc vinyl with Swedish death metal legends ENTOMBED.

      The limited-edition release features ENTOMBED's classic 1990 track, "Drowned", along with EVILE's 2012 cover version, available on vinyl for the first time. The seven-inch is available in independent record stores starting on Saturday, April 20 in strictly limited quantities.

      EVILE performed a special show for fans earlier today (Saturday, April 20) at Crash Records in Leeds, U.K. Fans who bought the seven-inch vinyl from Crash Records on the day got free entry to the show (space permitting).

      Video footage of the performance can be seen below.

      Founded in 2007 and officially kicked off in 2008 by METALLICA, Record Store Day takes place on the third Saturday of every April and brings together artists and independently owned record stores around the world to celebrate the art of music. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and sold in independent stores.

      EVILE's fourth abum, "Skull", will be released on May 27 in Europe on Earache Records and in North America via Century Media/Earache Records. The follow-up to 2011's "Five Serpent's Teeth" was once again recorded with producer Russ Russell (NAPALM DEATH, DIMMU BORGIR) at Parlour Studios in Kettering, England. The artwork for the album was painted by artist Eliran Kantor (TESTAMENT, SODOM, HATEBREED).

      NEWSTED, the new band led by former METALLICA, VOIVOD and FLOTSAM AND JETSAM bassist Jason Newsted, kicked off its first-ever U.S. tour this past Friday, April 19 at Red House in Walnut Creek, California. Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below. The 14-date trek will conclude on May 23 in Asbury Park, New Jersey and will lead into a number of European festival appearances for the band, which is completed by STAIND guitarist Mike Mushok, drummer Jesus Mendez Jr. and guitarist Jessie Farnsworth.

      NEWSTED has just completed recording its first full-length album, to be released later this year. NEWSTED began mixing the effort last week, with more details to be announced soon.

      Mushok had said earlier when he joined the group, "I loved the old-school vibe of [NEWSTED's] 'Metal' EP, and when we got together to jam, it really felt great. STAIND is taking a break for a while, so when Jason asked if I was interested in joining them to record an album and play on the upcoming tour, it was perfect timing. All I could say was, 'Hell yeah! I'm totally down for this.'"

      Newsted himself told ARTISTdirect.com about Mushok: "Before we even played, I knew he was the dude. For the first five or ten minutes, we were just hanging around. Sense of humor-wise, professionally, clear-eyed, hardworking and determined — he was all of those things. It was like check, check, check. That's what I do and he does. Nobody is stupid drunk or on drugs or any of that retarded shit. Every night we have dinner together. We'll drink a bottle of wine together. We have our fun, but we choose our time for it. We'll get a good one on, but we take our music very seriously. Once Mike started playing with us, it was on. It didn't take long at all. He makes the heavy music heavier. I didn't think that was possible. Because he plays seven-string, baritone, and all of these fucking psycho tunings, he reminds me so much of Piggy [VOIVOD] in so many ways. We set up for the auditions so we could see each other when we jam. That way we could communicate and fucking rock 'n' roll. I watched him, and I was like, "Oh my God!" With the way he was swinging his head and playing all of those psycho chords, he reminded me of Piggy. I miss Piggy so much. He was a great teacher and friend. He was taken way too fucking early. Mike brings that color and flavor. He knew the songs right away. He puts some great energy into the new songs. It's fucking amazing. There's no weak link on this stage."

      "Metal" sold around 6,200 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 62 on The Billboard 200 chart.

      NEWSTED is:

      Jason Newsted - Bass, Lead Vocals
      Jesus Mendez Jr. (THE NAPOLEON BLOWNAPARTS) - Drums
      Jessie Farnsworth - Guitar, Backing Voice
      Mike Mushok (STAIND) – Guitar

      Former KROKUS drummer Dani Crivelli has died. The band says in a statement: "Our sincere condolences to his family and loved ones."

      A native of Solothurn, Switzerland, Dani (far left in photo below) joined KROKUS in 1987, replacing Jeff Klaven. Dani appeared on the group's 1988 LP, "Heart Attack", which included such staples like "Rock'n'Roll Tonight" and "Winning Man".

      KROKUS' 17th studio album, "Dirty Dynamite", entered the German Media Control chart at position No. 17. This marked the first time in KROKUS' history that the band has landed in the Top 20 of the German chart.
      GODSMACK singer Sully Erna will make his feature film acting debut in an upcoming movie called "Army Of The Damned". The movie follows the crew of a hit reality TV series who follow a team of local cops in a small town. When the cops are summoned to a house on a "domestic disturbance" call, they suddenly are faced with a situation in which they either must survive or join the "army of the damned," a horde of warriors from hell. The film begins production on April 22 and is directed by Tom DeNucci.

      Erna has been taking part in rehearsals and some of the first photos from the film with the singer in his role have been posted on the film's Facebook page. Check them out below.

      The cast also includes horror legend Michael Berryman from "The Hills Have Eyes", pro wrestler Tommy Dreamer, TNT wrestling diva Thea Trinidad, Joey Fatone of N*SYNC fame and Jackie Moore, who appeared on "Homeland" and "30 Rock".

      Although New England native Erna has spent time in Los Angeles to pursue film opportunities, he told The Pulse Of Radio he's not a fan of the town. "The people out there are just, they're not real people to me, and I'm sorry I have to be so blunt with this sometimes, but most people that I meet out there, they're just — everybody's a struggling actor or director, or they think they're bigger than they are," he said. "The first words that come out of everybody's mouth out west is, 'What do you do for work and what kind of car do you drive?' So I usually tell them that I'm a garbage man and I drive, like, a Kia."

      Other hard rockers who have done acting jobs in recent years include METALLICA's Lars Ulrich, KORN's Jonathan Davis and SLIPKNOT's Shawn "Clown" Crahan.

      Erna recently played six solo shows on the East Coast, beginning on March 22 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

      The concerts featured songs from the entire span of Erna's career, including GODSMACK tracks and tunes from his 2010 debut solo album, "Avalon".

      GODSMACK has also booked some scattered festival dates this summer.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/sullymovie2.jpg
      The inaugural "Heavy Metal And Popular Culture" international conference took place April 4-7 at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. It was the first scholarly conference on heavy metal in the U.S.

      Metal music and culture scholars from Norway, Germany, Switzerland, the U.K., France, Canada, New Zealand, Finland, Brazil and all over the U.S., including Puerto Rico, gathered to share theories, network, and discuss the forthcoming peer-reviewed journal that will be published by The International Society For Metal Music Studies.

      In his report on the event, Neil Shah of The Wall Street Journal writes: "At the conference, musicologists delved into the deep growling of so-called death metal singers, demonstrating the differences between inhaled and exhaled screams, and revealed how some 'speed' metal bands secretly use computers to fake their superfast drumming — despite most metal fans' distaste for artifice. Experts cataloged the widespread use of masks and face paint by bands, and chronicled the history of the heavy-metal concert T-shirt."

      "For the first time, I'm talking with my peers," Dave Snell, a 33-year-old researcher, who received a $80,000 grant from the New Zealand government a few years ago to study "Bogans," New Zealand's hard-partying, metal-loving underclass, told The Wall Street Journal. "Usually at conferences, it's a room full of suits, and I'm in my IRON MAIDEN T-shirt," said Dr. Snell, who holds a doctorate in social psychology.

      On March 30, Superskum.com conducted an interview with with the Swedish all-girl hard rock quartet CRUCIFIED BARBARA when the band opened for CRASHDÏET at Jammin Joe's in Arvada, Colorado. You can now watch the chat below. Also available is quality performance footage of the Arvada concert.

      CRUCIFIED BARBARA's latest album, "The Midnight Chase", was released in May 2012 in Europe and in July 2012 in North America via Nuclear Blast. The CD was recorded at Music-A-Matic Vintage Recording Studio in Gothenberg, Sweden with sound engineer Henryk Lipp and producer Chips Kiesby.

      "It feels like a beginning," guitarist/vocalist Mia Coldheart told Metalholic.com about the new album. "It was a really special experience to record it. It was a lot of stress but it was so much more fun than the previous [albums]. We worked really hard, and I think we've become better song writers. I'm really proud of it, and it's so much fun to play the songs. It feels more natural. I think we found our way to write songs, and working together, it was much easier. I think we learn something from every time we enter the studio."

      Added guitarist Klara Force: "Recording this album it felt like sound-wise, song-wise, like we were finding a home. We're mature enough to know exactly what we're doing. It turned out the way we wanted, and it's sort of like we found the key on how to do it — and we did it. I think we were a little bit more daring with this album as well."

      Formed in Stockholm in 1998 by bassist Ida Evileye (now-wife of MESHUGGAH drummer Tomas Haake) and Force, CRUCIFIED BARBARA plays a fiery brand of rock 'n' roll tinged with metal and lashings of punk, pop, thrash, and whatever else dares to cross their path. Ida Evileye dominates her trusty Sandberg bass, Force rocks steady on her '76 Gibson Explorer, Coldheart belts out her unapologetic vocals while riffing all over her Gibson Gothic Flying V, and Nicki Wicked pounds on her hot pink sparkle Yamaha Maple drum kit until you're splayed across the floor with a bull's-eye knock-out punch that'll make you spit your teeth out. Now you know what happens when MOTÖRHEAD mates with THE RUNAWAYS.

      Premier Guitar has uploaded video footage of Phil Demmel of San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD demonstrating his new PDXT Demmelition King V guitar from Jackson at the Musikmesse Frankfurt 2013 fair, which took place April 10-13 in Frankfurt, Germany. Check out the clip below.

      MACHINE HEAD last week celebrated the tenth anniversary of Demmel becoming an official member of the band.

      Demmel joined MACHINE HEAD a decade after his previous band, VIO-LENCE, broke up; VIO-LENCE being the band that he and Rob Flynn, MACHINE HEAD's lead singer and guitarist, launched together as teenagers. Robb went on to form MACHINE HEAD in 1992 and Phil joined them in 2003.

      MACHINE HEAD in February parted ways with bassist Adam Duce. The band's guitarist/vocalist Robb Flynn explained in an online posting: "We may have fired Adam on [February 11], but Adam quit MACHINE HEAD well over a decade ago. He just never bothered to tell anyone… but we all knew it." A replacement bassist has not yet been announced.

      Fan-filmed video

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)