The Rolling Stones, Megadeth, Queens of the Stone Age, Sebastian Bach and more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2013
      The Rolling Stones are expected to be announcing their North American 2013 tour on Wednesday. Social media in combination with public advertising boards in cities they will be announcing shows in are being used to promote the shows.

      Gigantour — the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine — will be back for another installment later this year.

      "[I] finalized the bands for Gigantour 2013 and have to admit, I am hella impressed," Mustaine says in an online posting. "Details coming soon."

      In a January 2013 interview with VintageRock.com, Mustaine stated about the upcoming Gigantour: "We've got some stuff lined up at the end of the year with Gigantour — not only in here in the States, but also down in South America. We've got some really interesting lineups for that. Most people would look at the lineup and they would think, like, 'Dave's not gonna tolerate your crap at all.' Because there's a couple of people that we have that are on the lineup — and we're hoping for the best — but they're notorious bad boys. But when people grow up, they kind of grow up; they don't just grow old. And we're hoping that the music is gonna be the most important thing so that the fans will get what they want. Because it's undoubtedly… The people that we have, so far, as far as we know, for Gigantour, they've got great music. We're really looking forward to that."

      Gigantour made its return last year for the first time since 2008. The multi-artist bill — with metal heavyweights MOTÖRHEAD, VOLBEAT and LACUNA COIL all personally picked by Mustaine — kicked off on January 26, 2012 in Camden, New Jersey and wrapped on March 3, 2012 in Austin.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/gigantour2013.jpg
      Professionally filmed video footage of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE performing a brand new song, "My God Is the Sun", during the band's appearance at Lollapalooza Brazil on March 30 can be seen below. The gig marked the group's first live performance since a string of dates in 2011 to support the re-release of their 1998 self-titled debut album.

      QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE's current touring lineup includes THE MARS VOLTA drummer Jon Theodore.

      QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE will release its sixth studio album, "…Like Clockwork", this June on Matador Recorda, which is part of Beggars Group, the largest independent label group in the world. Described by QUEENS principal Joshua Homme as "an audio documentary of a manic year," "…Like Clockwork" is the band's first full-length collection of all-new material since 2007's "Era Vulgaris", as well as the group's debut release on new label partner Matador. The group was previously signed to Interscope.

      "…Like Clockwork" was produced by Joshua Homme and QOTSA and recorded by Mark Rankin at Pink Duck Studios in Burbank, California. The CD includes drums by Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS, NIRVANA), Joey Castillo and Jon Theodore, and guest appearances by Sir Elton John, Trent Reznor (NINE INCH NAILS), Mark Lanegan (SCREAMING TREES), ex-QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE bassist/vocalist Nick Oliveri, Jake Shears (THE SCISSOR SISTERS), James Lavelle and Alex Turner.

      The official QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE web site has been updated to include the new artwork below and a series of sound snippets that are presumably taken from the forthcoming CD.

      To hear the audio samples, visit the QOTSA site, click the image, hit refresh and repeat.

      Grohl played drums on the QUEENS' 2002 album, "Songs For The Deaf", and did go on a short club tour with the group before returning to active duty with the FOOS — who took QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE out as support.

      Grohl stepped in for the recording sessions after the group parted ways with longtime drummer Joey Castillo.

      "Era Vulgaris" came out in June 2007 and entered the Billboard chart at No. 14.
      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188151
      Former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach was interviewed on the latest edition of "Rich Davenport's Rock Show". The program can be streamed using the Mixcloud player below.

      Bach's brand new CD/DVD package, "ABachalypse Now", was released in North America on March 26 via Frontiers Records. The "ABachalypse Now" Ultimate CD/DVD Edition includes never-before-seen footage from last year's Graspop Metal Meeting festival in Dessel, Belgium, the full never-before-seen Hellfest set from France and the fully-remixed and remastered Nokia show from Los Angeles (originally broadcast on AXS TV), as well as bonus music videos. The DVD contains a running time of nearly 160 minutes. "ABachalypse Now" was made available in two configurations: the Ultimate CD/DVD Edition (2 CDs + DVD) and a standalone DVD.

      "ABachalypse Now" track listing:

      DVD:

      * Live at Hellfest in Clisson, France on June 16, 2012
      * Live at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California on August 2, 2012
      * Live at Graspop Metal Meeting in Dessel, Belgium on June 24, 2012
      * Bonus music videos: "Kicking & Screaming", "TunnelVision", "I'm Alive"

      CD1 - Live At Hellfest in Clisson, France, 2012

      CD2 - Live at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California 2012

      Setlists:

      Live at Hellfest in Clisson, France on June 16, 2012

      01. Slave To The Grind
      02. Kicking & Screaming
      03. Here I Am
      04. Big Guns
      05. Piece Of Me
      06. 18 & Life
      07. American Metalhead
      08. Monkey Business
      09. I Remember You
      10. Youth Gone Wild

      Live at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California on August 2, 2012

      01. Big Guns
      02. (Love Is) A Bitchslap
      03. Piece Of Me
      04. 18 & Life
      05. American Metalhead
      06. Monkey Business
      07. I Remember You
      08. TunnelVision
      09. Youth Gone Wild

      Live at Graspop Metal Meeting in Dessel, Belgium on June 24, 2012

      01. Kicking & Screaming
      02. Dirty Power
      03. Here I Am
      04. Big Guns
      05. 18 & Life
      06. American Metalhead
      07. Monkey Business
      08. I Remember You
      09. TunnelVision

      The "18 & Life" performance clip from "ABachalypse Now" can be seen below.

      Sebastian previously stated about "ABachalypse Now": "I am so excited for all of you to witness and experience 'ABachalypse Now'. We have included three recent concerts and the footage is totally kickass! It's remixed and remastered for full audio and video quality. The performances and energy of the crowds are killer throughout the DVD and you really feel like you are at the shows. Prepare yourselves for the coming ABachalypse — now!"
      http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188164

      "Avalanche", the new video from Ben Draiman — younger brother of David Draiman of the famed rock group DISTURBED — can be seen below. The song is the second single off Ben's debut six-song EP, "The Past is Not Far Behind", which came out last October.

      Ben Draiman was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois and has been a singer-songwriter as well as a pianist frorn the young age of 13 years old. Heavily influenced by a wide variety of styles, his music can best be described as powerful, emotional, melodic rock, fusing the softness of the piano along side the intensity and roughness of electric guitar.

      In a recent interview, Ben was quoted as saying: "The personal nature of my songwriting is something that, at this stage, distinguishes me from others. It all depends on the place from where the music comes from, and for me, it's still utterly pure — I have no audience in mind and no market in mind. It's a personal, therapeutic experience for me and ultimately, I think that's what people can relate to. You don't need to be the best singer or piano player, but when you give something else, when you mean every word of what you sing, that can be even more important."

      And indeed, his performances as well as his music's unique intensely emotional and authentic style has set him apart from many other artists and has continued to draw larger audiences over the years all across the age demographic. His single, "Soon Enough", which was released in 2011 in anticipation of his EP, garnered considerable worldwide interest, making it onto several online blogs and magazines, and was on regular rotation on 94X in British Columbia, placing number 81 of the top 84 songs of 2011 . It has also been featured several times on Rock 108 in Iowa.

      "The Past is Not Far Behind" EP track listing:

      01. Soon Enough
      02. Avalanche
      03. 21 Seconds
      04. Would You Know Love
      05. Overcome
      06. Taken For Granted

      Ben performs as a singer/songwriter in Israel, where he currently lives.

      For more information, visit www.bendraiman.com.

      ORBWEAVER, the band featuring Randy Piro (GIGAN, HATE ETERNAL), has announced the addition of drummer Scott Spasiano to the group's ranks. Scott took over the drum and percussion duties after Mike Pena left the band to pursue his chosen career path.

      Commented Piro: "Scott has the perfect blend of raw talent, and unmatched creativity. He quickly learned all of our material, and I really look forward to writing the new songs with him."

      The new ORBWEAVER lineup's first appearance will be a special on-air performance on April 18 on Radio 305 in anticipation of the B420 Fest the next day at Churchill's Pub, Miami, Florida. They will also be discussing their upcoming EP, "Strange Transmissions From The Neuralnomicon".

      Formed in late 2010, ORBWEAVER was brought to life "with the purpose of reshaping our physical realm through the use of ritual acoustics," according to a press release, "ultimately creating a tonal laboratory of sorts for the band to experiment sonically with no restraint or boundaries."

      During the summer of 2010, Randy met drummer Mike Pena after a performance with Pena's band NUCLEAR INFANTRY. Both musicians shared the desire to create music and summon forces beyond comprehension, and shortly after the ORBWEAVER nucleus was formed.

      ORBWEAVER's music is both chaotic, and sparse creating a terra-forma of bizarre environments for the experiencer to explore... Strangers, Atonal Druids, and ecology eating liquid forms of life are just a few of the inhabits of this strange, and swarthy sonic world.

      TIGERTAILZ guitarist Jay Pepper has admitted to Classic Rock magazine that it may be time to "bring the curtain down" on the Welsh glam rock outfit following the recent second departure of original drummer Ace Finchum, who called the organization a "bloody mess."

      Asked what happened with Ace, Jay said: "I wasn't aware of any problems as such, but it seems Ace based his decision to quit on lies our ex-singer Kim Hooker was feeding him about us getting previous drummer Matt Blakout back in. That's untrue — but Ace, love him, is very gullible. He swallowed it. He thought he'd jump before he was pushed. He also seems to be banging on about contracts and how many records we sold 25 years ago. All I would say is, take it up with Universal Records… and good luck with that."

      He continued: "I've never had a problem with Ace — he's a nice enough guy and not a bad person, and I do have a laugh with him. But he can barely tie his own shoelaces and he's constantly kicking off about something or other. It gets to the point where you've got him ready for school, then out come the toys from the pram again. All this from someone who's never written one song for this band in over 25 years!! As I've said many times, the people who cause the most grief are the people who contribute the least.

      "When we reformed in 2004 me and Pepsi [Tate, late TIGERTAILZ bassist] said we just didn't need all that grief again, hence the reason we used other drummers. But once Pepsi passed away, I was alone in my thinking, and Kim was doing his usual underworld dealings with Satan to get Ace back in the band. Eventually he got his way. I was quite happy with the Matt Blakout on drums — if Pepsi had still been alive the change would have never happened."

      Regarding whether there was a moment he knew it had all gone wrong again, Jay said: When we finished the last tour with the new lineup at the end of last year. The band sounded great — better than we had in years. But as soon as that tour finished, everyone was looking to me to get stuff going. None of them were really working the band as much as they could: writing songs, booking shows etc.

      "I've seen it so many times where people think they're joining KISS with this band. They expect everything to fall at their feet. And that's just not the way it works in the 21st century. Everyone looks at me as if to say, 'So what's happening now?' rather than being empowered to go out there and exploit the TIGERTAILZ name as members of the band."

      On the topic of TIGERTAILZ' legacy, Jay said: "I think we've released some really good albums and played some absolutely amazing shows on some of the biggest stages. I'm very proud of the fact that we managed to pull Thrill Pistol together in the space of six weeks when Pepsi was ill. He would literally get his missus to sneak him out of hospital just to get to the studio to be involved. It was against all odds but we managed to do it.

      "I'm also extremely proud that we helped launch the Amser Justin Time charity with Pepsi's wife Shan. I Believe, the track we recorded with Bryn Terfel and Shan, is one of the best things we've ever done. The Amser charity has since gone on to raise over £150,000+ and helps provide services to the cancer unit in the University Hospital of Wales. So if TIGERTAILZ does nothing else, that's something to be very proud of and worth continuing with."

      Video footage of MASSACRE's entire March 29 performance at the Florida Metal Bash at The Brass Mug in Tampa, Florida can be seen below.

      MASSACRE was forced to cancel the Brazilian leg of its South American tour, which kicked off on November 9, 2012 in Bogota, Colombia.

      An official statement regarding the cancelation can be found at this location.

      MASSACRE released a seven-inch single, "Condemned To The Shadows", on July 30, 2012. The single, which is available as a regular black-wax version, a transparent wax limited edition and a yellow-wax limited edition, contains two brand new songs — "Succumb To Rapture" and "Back From Beyond" — that were recorded in February 2012 at CGM Studios in Altamonte Springs, Florida with Tim Vazquez at the helm.

      MASSACRE is hard at work on material for a new album, to be released laer in the year via Century Media Records.

      The band's new lineup consists of bassist Terry Butler and guitarist Frederick "Rick Rozz" DeLillo alongside MASSACRE's latest additions, Mike Mazzonetto (drums; M INC., PAIN PRINCIPLE) and Ed Webb (vocals; DIABOLIC, GENERICHRIST, DESTINED TO RUIN).