Judas Priest, Manowar, Motley Crue, Slayer, MEgadeth and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2011
      JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford says that he thinks it's about
      time his band's 40-year career was recognized at Great Britain's Grammy counterpart, the Brit Awards.

      The British heavy metal legends were honored in the "Best Metal
      Performance" category at the 52nd annual Grammy Awards, which was
      held on January 31, 2010 at the Staples
      Center in Los Angeles. PRIEST was nominated for
      the track "Dissident Aggressor", from the band's 2009 live
      album "A Touch of Evil: Live". Halford and the band's
      drummer, Scott Travis, accepted the award at the event.

      Halford tells the Belfast Telegraph: "Well, we won a Grammy,
      which was a very important award for us, but it would be nice to get a Brit,
      from our own country, you know.

      "We get a lot of respect from the metal community, and the magazines, too.
      We don't want a gold watch, you can keep that, but we do get recognition and I
      think that's to do with the fact we've taken the music around the world and
      waved the flag.

      "It's a double-edged sword, though. Part of me wants the recognition, and
      part of me has always felt like an underdog. Is it really important that we
      don't get the credit some lesser bands do? I don't know if it is, but as I get
      older I get more sentimental and think it might be nice to get some more
      recognition."
      To celebrate the announcement of MANOWAR's U.K./Ireland tour in
      November 2011, the band will release a special edition of its "Battle Hymns MMXI" album featuring four bonus
      live songs, recorded during the first leg of the "Battle Hymns" 2011 world tour.

      * "Call To Arms" (recorded live at O2 Academy in Birmingham,
      England, March 27, 2011)
      * "Hand Of Doom" (recorded live at La Riviera in Madrid,
      Spain, April 10, 2011)
      * "House Of Death" (recorded live at O2 Academy in Birmingham,
      England, March 27, 2011)
      * "Thunder In The Sky" (recorded live at Campo Pequeno in
      Lisbon, Portugal, April 2, 2011)

      The album is only available as part of the "MANOWAR Battle Pack UK",
      which also includes Metal Hammer's 25th-anniversary special MANOWAR edition packed with exclusive features from Metal Hammer's 25-year
      history and featuring the full story behind this new CD.

      The "MANOWAR Battle Pack UK"
      is available in limited quantities and can be ordered immediately online for worldwide shipping.

      For the best value possible, those who wish can purchase the "MANOWAR
      Battle Pack UK" along
      with a ticket for the "Battle
      Hymns" 2011 U.K./Ireland tour by going to this location.
      And if you choose to buy your CD in conjunction with a ticket, you'll also
      receive a download of a brand new, unreleased new studio track straight from MANOWAR's
      upcoming album as an extra bonus.

      Asked what made this "Battle
      Hymns" 2011 tour so special compared to previous ones, MANOWAR bassist and producer Joey DeMaio explained, "With this tour, we are
      paying tribute to our beginnings. It's very important to not forget where one
      starts. We are playing in venues similar to the ones of our first tours. They
      bring band and fans closer together. We love playing big halls and stadiums as
      well as festivals, and we are looking forward to doing this next year again.
      But these more 'personal' gigs have a very unique atmosphere. And like with the
      re-recorded 'Battle
      Hymns' album, we give the fans the best of both worlds: The atmosphere of
      the past with the best technology of today."

      MANOWAR had recently re-recorded its highly acclaimed debut album, since
      finally technology had caught up with MANOWAR's custom-built touring and
      recording equipment. The classic hymns now feature the massive sound and
      production that has become MANOWAR's signature over recent years and
      records, and also include a narration by screen legend Sir Christopher Lee on "Dark Avenger".
      Heavy metal icons Motley Crue are known worldwide for embracing the wildest
      of rock n’ roll lifestyles, but all that founding guitarist Mick Mars wants to
      be remembered for is his diehard dedication to his craft.
      Motley Crue will be performing at the Toyota Pavilion at Montage Mountain on Sunday, July 31, with Poison
      and special guests the New York Dolls.
      If you go
      What: Motley Crue and Poison with special guests The New York Dolls
      Where: Toyota Pavilion at Montage Mountain,
      Scranton
      When: Sunday, July 31, 7 p.m.
      Cost: $29.50 – $99
      The infamous Los Angeles
      rockers will be stopping at the Toyota Pavilion at Montage Mountain
      on Sunday, July 31, with fellow ‘80s glam act Poison and special guests the New
      York Dolls.
      As early as age of 3, Robert Alan Deal knew what he would be doing with the
      rest of his life. After playing in various small bands throughout the ‘70s, he
      decided to dye his hair black and change his name to Mick Mars, advertising
      himself in a local paper as “a loud, rude, and aggressive guitar player.”
      Bassist Nikki Sixx and drummer Tommy Lee immediately hired him as singer
      Vince Neil rounded out the group that would soon be known as Motley Crue, a
      name that Mars also coined.
      “I was bored with my other life. I don’t know…Change is good,” Mars said.
      “But I’m still me.”
      Clad in heavy make-up and a colorful wardrobe, the band burst onto the scene
      in 1981 with a rebellious attitude that quickly gained them both media
      attention and animosity from concerned parents and political leaders. Their
      lives of sex, drugs, and rock n’ rock may have thrust them into the spotlight,
      but Mars said his primary concern was always the music.
      “I really do focus on music. When I was 3 years old and I decided that I was
      going to be a musician, a guitar player – that’s the same way I think today. I
      don’t care what kind of consequences might come or get in my way…This is what I
      chose to do and I’m not going to let anybody or anyone or anything mess it up
      for me. I just love music. That’s all I want to do,” Mars said.
      “I have to admit that some of the guys like that media attention. I don’t.
      I’m about the music. I skip the (expletive).”
      Now age 60, Mars also confessed that he thought at least one member of the
      band “would be dead by now,” but he feels that maybe a few hard lessons were
      learned to bring them to this point in the careers.
      “I think I would say that we’re probably a bit more educated after a couple
      of overdoses. You know what I mean? It’s like, ‘Oh, I don’t want to do that
      again.’ I think everybody goes through that, really.”
      While the band was often trashed in reviews when they started, Motley Crue
      has since gained respect and its own place in the music industry, which the ax
      man thanks his fans for.
      “Our fans grew up and took over…It’s pretty funny, you have to admit. I
      think that any new band that comes out gets rejected unless you’re very, very
      poppy and commercial. Anything new and different or whatever you want to call
      it has to get respect. You have to earn it, I guess, paying your dues,” he
      explained.
      “Notice every time a new band comes out it’s ‘the devil’s music.’ Imagine if
      there was no change and we were still playing ‘Hound Dog’ by Big Mama Thornton
      or Elvis. I guess that people are accustomed to gradual change, but radical
      change? No.”
      As the songwriter behind some of the bands more recognizable riffs, Mars
      credits his unique style to a wide variety of influences, including Eric
      Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee, and Johnny Winter, and playing in
      many cover bands early in his career that allowed him to combine and learn
      parts from many different types of musicians.
      While that may be obvious to careful listeners, what many fans do not know
      is that Mars suffers from ankylosing spondylitis, a chronic form of arthritis
      that causes inflammation of his spine and pelvis. He said that he takes
      anti-inflammatory drugs to help him get through sometimes grueling tour
      schedules, but mostly he is forced to work through the pain.
      “It still hurts. It still grinds now and then, but like I said, music is my
      whole passion. It’s what I do. It’s what I live for. I guess it keeps me
      alive,” he said.
      “I’m just happy to be here, to be able to make people happy, to make people
      smile and give them what I feel inside from my music…I hope you like this, and
      if you don’t, oh well.”
      Those who think that his career may be winding down may also be surprised to
      learn that his musical aspirations are just beginning.
      “I think Motley was a giant stepping stone for me. I’m far from being over.
      I am going to do a solo album, but I am also going to make sure that it’s the
      right people that I want to play with. A lot of people will look at this record
      that I want to do and go, ‘I didn’t know Mick could do that.’ If it doesn’t
      come off that way, I won’t do it,” Mars said.
      On this tour, Motley Crue is offering audiences the chance to witness a 360
      degree roller coaster drum solo and pyrotechnics that are “stupidly over the
      top,” but through it all, the quietest and most humble member of the group also
      hopes that fans will turn out for the music.
      “This is probably one of the biggest and best shows we’ve done since quite a
      long time. Even with ‘Red, White, & Crue’ and ‘Carnival of Sins,’ this is
      even better than that.”
      During a recent MÖTLEY CRÜE tour stop in Atlanta, Georgia,
      the band's bassist, Nikki Sixx, presented his 100,000th Twitter follower with a signed Epiphone Nikki Sixx Blackbird bass guitar.
      Longtime fan and certified Turbo Kick instructor Angie Elliott, along
      with her husband, got a chance to meet Sixx in their hometown before MÖTLEY
      CRÜE hit the stage at Aaron's Amphitheater at Lakewood.

      Sixx — who has taken his radio shows "Sixx Sense with Nikki
      Sixx" and "The Side Show Countdown With Nikki Sixx" on the road with MÖTLEY CRÜE during their summer tour with support from POISON and the NEW YORK DOLLS — will soon announce a prize for his 200,000th Twitter follower. Sixx currently has more than 185,000 Twitter followers.

      MÖTLEY CRÜE's current headlining trek with support from POISON and special guests NEW YORK DOLLS kicked off on June 7 at Gexa Energy
      Pavilion in Dallas, Texas and will hit approximately more than
      40 cities before coming to a close in August.

      The initial tour announcement by Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee and NEW
      YORK DOLLS' David Johansen was made on the syndicated radio show "Sixx
      Sense With Nikki Sixx"on March 1.

      During a May 1 press conference at Bamboozle in East Rutherford, New
      Jersey, MÖTLEY CRÜE's veteran production manager and set designer, Robert
      Long, presented graphic renderings of the new set design, which he
      described as "a hard-hitting CRÜE rendition of a rock 'n' roll
      burlesque theatre." According to Long, the entire stage is
      enveloped in red velvet drapery and a damask printed wall of guitar amps.

      Continuing to integrate the input of their fans, MÖTLEY CRÜE conducted a
      survey by listing every song they have ever recorded. Fans voted at Motley.com for the final set list, which includes tracks band hasn't performed live
      together in almost 20 years.
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/sixxfollower.jpg
      AOL Music recently conducted an interview with SLAYER bassist/vocalist Tom Araya. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow
      below.

      AOL Music: You've been playing speedy thrash metal for 30 years — how
      are you still doing it?

      Araya: I just go out there and play it, dude. I don't really think about
      it, I just do it. When you start to think about what you're doing, you have a
      tendency to stray from the path. I just can't headbang anymore, so now I have
      to do it without headbanging.

      AOL Music: Do you think this kind of music is immortal?

      Araya: I think if the band is good and the music is good, all music is
      like that. There's always going to be someone listening to it, and then there's
      going to be that one person that discovers it. They never discover the shitty
      bands, they discover the good bands. That's how it was with me — I was
      introduced to ZEPPELIN and SABBATH, and that was at an early age,
      in the early '70s. It was good music, good songs.

      AOL Music: Do you reckon people like Lady Gaga then are just a
      fad, or will their music become immortal too?

      Araya: She's got some good songs, but is it the entire album that's
      good, or is it just one or two songs? My kids are like that. Whenever they
      listen to music, they'll sit there and like a certain band, and I'll say
      "What's the album sounding like?" "I dunno." "What do
      you mean you don't know?" "Well, I only like these two songs."
      "Well, you gotta hear the whole album." I told them that it's really
      important to like all the songs — if you don't like all their songs, then
      you're going to forget about the band really quick. My daughter is really into THE
      STROKES. And I've heard their stuff — it's really good songs, their albums
      are really good — so to me, it wouldn't surprise me if they have staying power.

      AOL Music: Are there some SLAYER "fans" out there that
      only really like the hit songs?

      Araya: I see a lot of that out there. People are here maybe for that
      reason and that reason alone. They'll sit there and be like 'When are they
      gonna play that song?' and they're lucky, because we'll probably play that
      song! A lot of bands come out and do new stuff and never play their old shit,
      and some people will only come to hear that one song. After being here for 30
      years, we have a hardcore audience. Maybe two or three percent of the audience
      out there are hardcore. I'm more about the three percent of the audience, and
      that's why we're here. I'm here for them.
      In a brand new interview with AOL's Noisecreep, MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson —
      who battled hard drugs and alcohol before getting sober in the late '90s —
      spoke out about the passing of singer Amy Winehouse and how hard it
      clearly was for her to get clean.

      "She's been pretty open about her troubled life and the addictions, and as
      a recovered guy, my heart always goes out when I see that happen because
      there's a lot of misunderstanding behind overcoming those personal
      issues," Ellefson said. "My prayers are with her family right
      now and all the people in her organization, because it's unexpected but it's a
      reality, and everyone has to deal with it."

      When asked about some people's belief that being plagued by inner demons is
      dancing with the Devil — which is along the lines of what MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was talking about in his recent interview for ABC's "Primetime Nightline: Beyond Belief - Battle With the Devil", Ellefson said, "When you're in it, it just seems like it's all fun and games, and
      then eventually it turns dark. And that darkness is where a lot of people can't
      get out of. And that's really the correlation to the Devil. If you believe in
      God, you've got to believe in the devil. And if you believe in the Devil, you'd
      better believe in God."

      He added, "I actually just got accepted to go into a seminary program
      within the Lutheran
      Church; they bring up
      people within the congregation, it's a graduate level course. I'm fairly well
      steeped in the world, and having been clean for several years, that's kind of a
      natural progression for my walk."
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, SOUNDGARDEN was joined by PEARL JAM guitarist Mike McCready onstage during
      the band's concert at the Los Angeles Forum on Friday night (July 22). McCready came onstage to perform the title track from SOUNDGARDEN's 1994 "Superunknown" album (see video below). Meanwhile, FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl was also at the show just to watch — but instead of standing on the side of the
      stage or in a VIP area, Grohl took in at least part of the band's set
      with the audience.

      Drummer Matt Cameron plays with both SOUNDGARDEN and PEARL JAM,
      who are currently recording a new album in Los Angeles.

      SOUNDGARDEN wraps up its first full tour in 14 years this Saturday (July
      30) at the Gorge in the band's home state of Washington.

      The band will return to the studio shortly after the trek ends to continue work
      on its first studio effort since 1996, which is expected out in early 2012.
      Released in September 1991, NIRVANA's sophomore album
      and major label debut elevated Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave
      Grohl from a critically acclaimed Aberdeen, Washington, cult band to
      generational spokesmen who'd unwittingly created a cultural shift and musical
      touchstone. Rising to No. 1 the world over by year's end and ultimately selling
      over 30 million copies worldwide, "Nevermind" would come to be
      much more than one of the most successful and influential albums of its or any
      era. As the album that returned unaffected rock 'n' roll integrity and passion
      to the top of the charts, "Nevermind" would prove a singular
      inspiration to fans and musicians alike over the last two decades — and will
      undoubtedly do so for generations to come.

      Now on the occasion of "Nevermind"'s 20th anniversary, Universal
      Music Enterprises presents a full spectrum re-release worthy of such a
      pivotal classic. With configurations ranging from a 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe
      Edition to a standard digital/CD remaster of the original album, the 20th
      anniversary reissue of "Nevermind" makes the most of the
      occasion, unearthing literally dozens of previously unreleased recordings,
      obscure B-sides, alternate mixes, radio sessions, studio rarities and live
      recordings, including a 1991 Halloween concert at Seattle's Paramount Theatre
      in its entirety.

      The limited, numbered Super Deluxe Edition more than lives up to its name as
      one of the most expansive and ambitious collections of its kind with only
      10,000 copies available in North America, and another 30,000 for the rest of
      the world. The Super Deluxe features not only the original remastered album and
      accompanying studio and live B-sides, but the first full official release of
      the pre-"Nevermind" demos recorded at producer Butch Vig's Smart Studios, as well as boombox recordings of subsequent rehearsals
      through which the listener can actually experience "Smells Like Teen
      Spirit", "Come As You Are", "On A Plain" and others that take shape before his or her very ears. The Super Deluxe also
      offers an altogether new perspective on the finished "Nevermind" album exclusive to this format in the form of the Devonshire Mixes: the album
      as produced and mixed by Vig as opposed to the commercially released
      final version produced by Vig and mixed by Andy Wallace. Rounding
      out the Super Deluxe are a pair of previously unreleased BBC recordings
      and the aforementioned 1991 Paramount show available for the first time and
      exclusive to this format on CD and DVD (which also features all four music
      videos from "Nevermind"), as well as a stunning 90-page bound
      book full of rarely and never- before-seen photos, documents and various other
      visual artifacts of the "Nevermind" era.

      The NIRVANA "Nevermind" 20th anniversary reissue is also
      available as a 2-CD Deluxe Edition featuring the remastered album and B-sides,
      the Smart Studio sessions, boombox rehearsals and BBC sessions, a
      4-LP, 180-gram heavyweight vinyl edition featuring the same 40 tracks as the
      Deluxe Edition, a remastered CD of the original album, and digital versions of
      the standard and deluxe editions. The Paramount
      concert, transferred from 16mm film and multi-track audio, is the only known NIRVANA concert shot to film and will be available in a 1080p high-definition picture
      and uncompressed 5.1 surround sound and stereo on stand-alone Blu-ray, along
      with DVD and digital long form video formats.
      According to Amazon.com, original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley will release "No Regrets: A Rock 'N' Roll Memoir", a look back
      at his "life of sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll" on November 1, 2011
      via Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. Gallery plans to publish the 288-page title under the VH1 Books imprint.

      "No Regrets" was co-written by New York Times journalist Joe Layden who also authored "The Last Great
      Fight" about what is considered by many to be the biggest upset in the
      history of boxing: James "Buster" Douglas'
      tenth-round knockout win over Mike Tyson in 1990.

      Layden recently worked on MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's
      autobiography, "Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir".

      Jennifer Bergstrom, Vice President, Editor-in-Chief of Gallery Books,
      said "'No Regrets' is sure to be the next must-read rock-and-roll
      memoir."

      Commented Frehley: "I think Sinatra said it best… 'Regrets
      I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.'"

      One of the most popular rock guitarists of the 1970s, Frehley became an
      inspiration to a generation of guitarists with his lead-guitar prowess and
      atmospheric Les Paul sound.

      Frehley performed with KISS from its inception in 1973 until his
      first departure in 1982 before rejoining KISS in 1996 for a very
      successful reunion tour. Frehley's second stint lasted until 2002 as Ace went back to being a solo artist again, but the stories and memories still
      remain from touring in one of rock and roll's most successful acts of all time.
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/frehleyregrets.jpg
      Due to "illness," San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD will not perform at today's (Tuesday, July 26) Rockstar
      Energy Drink Mayhem Festival concert at Darien
      Lake Performing
      Arts Center
      in Darien Center, New York.

      MACHINE HEAD's new album, "Unto The Locust", will be
      made available in late September via the band's longtime label Roadrunner
      Records. The CD was recorded at JingleTown Studios in Oakland, with frontman Robb
      Flynn producing, and it is sure to level anything and everything that
      happens upon its path. Flynn stated about the new album in an interview
      with the San Francisco Chronicle, "I think we've really taken our
      music to the next level with this. We feel super-excited about it. I started
      taking some singing lessons with the guy who worked with Mick Jagger and Lady Gaga. And then I took some classical guitar. I wanted to feel like
      a beginner again and not be comfortable and see what that brought out. There's
      definitely a big neoclassical vibe on the record between all the
      brutality."

      Metal Hammer magazine will release "Unto The Locust" in
      the U.K.
      with a special-edition fan pack. Complete with 132–page special issue with
      exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the making of the new album, extensive
      interviews with every member, never-before-seen historic shots from the band's
      personal collections, a guide to their custom rigs, and a diary of their massive Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour happening this summer, this
      is the ultimate companion to the long-awaited follow-up to "The
      Blackening", Metal Hammer's "album of the decade."
      And that's not all. This exclusive fan pack also includes a 100% official
      patch, sticker sheet and poster. This is your chance to be part of MACHINE
      HEAD history!

      On the red carpet just before his performance with Slash at the at the
      sixth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert on May 7, 2010 at Club
      Nokia in Los Angeles, Ace Frehley talked about putting his memoir
      together and how he got help remembering some of his old stories that he might
      have forgotten.

      "It's gonna be memoirs, you know," he told the Artisan News
      Service.

      "I just turned 59, [so] I think it's about time I start getting the stuff
      out and writing it down on paper before I forget it.

      "It's hard for me to remember a lot of the stuff, so what I've been doing
      is getting together with people I used to work with, and they usually have
      better memories of situations than myself. Getting together with old
      bodyguards... They have the best stories about me... stuff I don't remember."
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/frehleyregrets.jpg
      Drummer Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, AVENGED
      SEVENFOLD, ADRENALINE MOB) has joined forces with guitarist/vocalist John Sykes (WHITESNAKE, BLUE MURDER, THIN LIZZY)
      and an as-yet-undisclosed bassist in a brand new power trio. The project has
      demoed 12 songs so far at a Los Angeles studio, with Portnoy describing
      one track as "copping the [LED] ZEPPELIN/[BLACK] SABBATH vibe" and another as "[PINK] FLOYD meets [DEEP] PURPLE!!!
      Some serious old-school classic rock."

      In a posting on his official web site, Portnoy describes the new group
      as "a completely ridiculous modern-day power trio" and calls it
      "a new 'real BAND' for me" just as ADRENALINE MOB is
      "also a new "real BAND" for me." He adds, "I will
      divide my time as best as I can between the two (hey, if Corey Taylor and Jim Root, Mike Patton, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith, Zakk
      Wylde all can do it, so can I!) and I am equally excited by both... as they
      are both amazing new bands, but VERY different worlds musically... so there's
      really no clash creatively. Timing-wise, ADRENALINE MOB is happening
      NOW, and my band with Sykes won't be released later next year, so
      they'll be able to co-exist just fine!"

      Portnoy and Sykes appeared yesterday (Monday, July 25) at a
      taping of season eight of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show" (see photos below). The program's co-host Eddie Trunk tweeted about
      their new collaboration, "I heard demos. Sounds like killer BLUE MURDER meets '1987' WHITESNAKE. Amazing!" He also said that the new group
      will perform some BLUE MURDER material when it hits the road.

      In addition to Portnoy, ADRENALINE MOB features SYMPHONY X frontman Russell Allen, guitar virtuoso Mike Orlando (SONIC
      STOMP), bassist Paul DiLeo and STUCK MOJO/FOZZY axeman Rich Ward. The group made its live debut on June 24 at the Hiro Ballroom
      in New York City
      and is presently seeking a suitable record label to release its already
      completed debut album.

      Portnoy is also involved in a separate new project with guitarist Steve
      Morse (DEEP PURPLE, DIXIE DREGS), multi-instrumentalist Neal
      Morse (TRANSATLANTIC, SPOCK'S BEARD), bassist Dave LaRue (DIXIE DREGS) and vocalist Casey McPherson (ALPHA REV, ENDOCHINE).
      That group's debut album is tentatively due later in the year.

      Portnoy, who co-founded DREAM THEATER more than 20 years ago,
      abruptly quit the band last summer while on tour with AVENGED SEVENFOLD.
      He has since been replaced by Mike Mangini (ANNIHILATOR, EXTREME, JAMES LABRIE, STEVE VAI).

      Portnoy played on AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare",
      following the death of that band's drummer, Jimmy "The Rev"
      Sullivan, and toured with them for the entire second half of 2010.

      Sykes announced his departure from THIN LIZZY in July 2009,
      explaining that "I feel it's time to get back to playing my own music."
      Opeth's
      Martin Mendezisn’t one for showmanship. In fact, Martin was probably one of the unlikeliest
      candidates for a measured rise into Swedish metal stardom. Born and raised in Uruguay, he
      drank in all the music that his Latin heritage had to offer, pouring it into
      his elegant, textured bass playing. Making his way to Sweden by way
      of Swedish-born Uruguyan drummer Martin Lopez, he joined Opeth in 1999,
      almost half way into the band's now twenty year career.
      Despite
      extensive world touring, Martin seldom spoke during concerts, preferring to
      communicate via headbanging instead, using his signature side-to-side “two bob”
      motion (before he lopped off his locks, of course.) Though reticent on stage,
      he spoke softly but not reservedly to the AU review about their new album,
      touring and the trek from country of his birth from his residence in Sweden.
      Hello
      Martin, how are you?
      I’m
      well, thanks.
      Good
      to hear. Are you a soccer fan?
      am, yeah.
      Congratulations
      to Uruguay
      making the Copa America final!
      Thank
      you. It’s a great achievement.
      Now
      on to the music. Are you on a break from touring at the moment?
      Yeah.
      I’m at home but we start touring to [support] the album in September.
      How
      did a boy from Uruguay make
      it to Sweden
      to become a rock star?
      [chuckles]
      I don’t know. I just wanted to make music, you know. That was it. The former
      drummer, Martin Lopez he sort of, well, suggested me. He was living in Uruguay as
      well. But I didn’t have a dream, you know. I wanted to play music but I never
      knew what could happen.
      When
      you were growing up, did you initially take up the bass? Did you play other
      instruments as well? What got you into being a fully-fledged bass player?
      Well,
      my father used to play bass. He used to play when I was a baby you know, we had
      a bass [in the house.] When I grew up he showed me how to play.
      There’s
      a lot of jazz, flamenco, world beat textures in the new album particularly,
      were you brought up on those styles? Or was it metal from the beginning?
      Well
      flamenco was definitely something I heard, but as a boy I never had the chance
      to buy many records. I pretty much grew up musically with whatever was around
      me; whatever people played at home. So there wasn’t a lot of different kind of
      music – there was a lot of tango on the radio that they played all day as well
      as the folk music of Uruguay. Then when I got a bit older I listened to the
      Beatles and the Doors. [Bands] like that.
      Talking
      about the Doors, I listened to Heritage today and there’s a lot of 60s
      and 70s sounds on it – a bit of the Doors, a bit of Uriah Heep, a bit of Jethro
      Tull as well. It’s been hinted at through previous records but why did the band
      decide to embrace that sound fully on this album?
      Well,
      we’ve always been into these sounds. We always listened to lots of rock music
      from the 70s. We always had these albums in our record collections. We wanted
      to experiment with these sounds like we have done over the years more on this
      album, I think.
      You
      joined the band about 12 years ago now – what drew you to Opeth and what makes
      you stay?
      Well,
      I still love to play music. I think the problem with these past members, I
      think is that they stop wanting to play music. I still love it and that’s why
      I’m still here. I love playing it. I think it becomes difficult for many people
      because this lifestyle is not for everybody. The touring is pretty hard – it’s
      long. Sometimes you tour for up to a year and then you release another album
      and you start again. I think that’s a big part of it, for some people. Maybe.
      They
      just want to be home. I can understand that.
      Do
      you think if Opeth hadn’t become a worldwide touring band, the band would not
      have enjoyed its success, to a certain extent?
      Yes.
      I mean, we survive on touring, as a band. Making records and things, you don’t
      see any money from that. For us, to keep the band alive and to survive, you
      have to tour.
      I think we do good for a lot of people, to play live. We put on a good show –
      we don’t put on a big [spectacle] like metal bands used to. We don’t have any
      bombs, we don’t have any fire, we don’t have any image to [uphold], we don’t
      wear weird clothes, or whatever. We just set up and play.
      You’ve
      been to Australia
      about four times in eight years, which is quite frequent for a metal band. Are
      you coming back soon?
      Yeah.
      I don’t know. It’s never up to us, you know.
      The
      artwork is out of the ordinary for Opeth as well; it sort of looks like an oil
      painting – its very pastoral, gothic, even biblical – how did you come up with
      the concept?
      It
      was mostly Mike’s idea. He sort of dreamt it up…we got [Travis Smith] to help
      with it. It has a lot more colors and it became a very strong artwork. I love
      it.
      Writers
      and fans call Opeth a progressive death metal band and have been for a long
      time – how would you describe the music that you play if you were going to
      describe yourselves at all?
      Well,
      that’s a difficult thing, you know. I don’t know how you would talk about it. I
      mean, there are so many journalists in music today. I mean people call us death
      metal but I think we just play rock or heavy metal, but in a different way, you
      know.
      In
      the past, you had heavy metal but now you have all these different kinds. But
      now you have a name for every band and what they play. It’s difficult to just
      make one up.
      In
      the past Opeth was most certainly a death metal band, but now you’ve sort of
      moved away from that.
      Well,
      that’s true, but it’s not like we want to move away from metal or upset our
      fans or anything like that. We still love death metal and we still want to play
      it as well. I mean we are within metal but we also make other kinds of music.
      We try to experiment with all the other styles. It’s natural – I mean we’re
      still the same. We don’t use death growls, for example in the new album but it
      doesn’t mean we’re trying to get away from metal or anything like that.
      It
      was kind of boring to do another metal album following on from Watershed – well, at least it was for us. That’s why we made this kind of record.
      lot of Opeth fans like to collect your records on vinyl and in special tins and
      things like that – are you guys collectors yourselves? Do you think Opeth
      aren’t as cynical about the merchandising and limited editions like some fans
      tend to perceive it?
      Well,
      we try to make music where in 30, 40, 50 years time people will still be
      listening to it. The only way to do it is to make good music. That’s what
      important. With all these collectors tins I think it’s a nice thing, to keep
      this music alive. To keep this music out there. Mikael is a big record
      collector and it’s his idea, I guess.
      Talking
      about Mikael, it seems he is the most prominent and dominant figure in the
      band. Firstly, is that reflected in the songwriting and secondly, does the band
      feel comfortable about that?
      Mikael
      has been the only member that’s [been there] from the beginning and he’s always
      been the songwriter. But still, it’s quite open. I mean its his band and we
      like to play this music. I mean we try to add to the music to make it sound as
      good as possible.
      Opeth
      over the years has developed relationships with other bands like Porcupine Tree
      and Katatonia; and you are touring with them soon, is that right?
      Yeah,
      we’re touring with them in September, in the States.
      Right.
      How are those relationships built? Do you influence one another? What are they
      like? How would you describe those relationships?
      Well,
      we are great friends with Katatonia Jonas [Renkse, vocalist] lives near
      us and just around the corner from Mikael as well. I don’t think we influence
      each other, musically. We spend a lot of time together at home or at festivals
      or touring. We have a history in common so its just a natural relationship.
      In
      your playing, are you more influenced by music you grew up with or new music –
      or even other things? Where do you draw inspiration from? How do you approach
      your music?
      think it’s a lot of things – it’s about what is around you and that comes into
      your music. Other people and things might give you ideas but music is the main
      thing. What I listen to influences a lot of my music. But people around you,
      situations around you…that can influence your playing as well in either a good
      or a bad way.
      Martin,
      it’s been a pleasure. Best of luck with the album and the tour.
      Thanks
      Tom, take care.
      Heritageis set for a September
      20th release through Roadrunner Records.

      FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH's new single, "Under
      It And Over It", will debut tomorrow (Wednesday, July 27) on radio
      stations nationwide as well as online at RevolverMag.com. The single art
      can be seen below.

      "Under And Over It" is the debut single from FIVE FINGER
      DEATH PUNCH's third album, "American Capitalist", which
      hits stores on October 11. The CD was recorded at The Hideout in Las Vegas, Nevada
      with producer Kevin Churko, who helmed Ozzy Osbourne's 2010
      effort "Scream".

      "This record crystallizes the sound of DEATH PUNCH," says
      guitarist Zoltan Bathory. Singer Ivan Moody adds, "I
      literally laid every ounce of blood I had on this one. We are a people's band.
      Our fans understand us because of who we are. We've never tried to be anybody
      else but FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH. If you're inclined to please the whole
      world, you've got to take a step back and realize that at the end of the day,
      you have to be you — first and foremost. Otherwise, you're useless to anyone
      else."

      FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH worked on the set in Las Vegas, which four of its five current members call home, and Zoltan
      Bathory told The Pulse Of Radio living and working in Sin City
      can be distracting. "Writing a record is not like a nine-to-five
      job," he said. "It's a 24/7 job, you know. Once you're done with the
      studio, you have to go home and we still, you know, keep writing. So that's how
      it gets distracting because, you know, you kind of — you worked already whole
      day, you want to relax, but in the second you want to relax for a second, Las
      Vegas will get you. You know, there's always something going on and you have to
      force yourself to not be distracted."

      FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH played its first show with new bassist Chris
      Kael on July 1 at Boonstock in Gibbons, Alberta,
      Canada.
      Check out photos of the concert at this location.

      Kael replaced Matt Snell, who left the group late last year for
      reasons that have not been disclosed. Originally from Kentucky, Kael moved to FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH's home base of Las Vegas to pursue
      playing music full-time. He said in a statement about landing the job,
      "Never give up on your dreams — I'm living proof that with hard work and a
      little bit of luck, they can come true."

      Zoltan confirmed to HardDrive Radio in April that Snell was let go back in December, but was unable to speak about the reason for Snell's
      exit for contractual reasons.

      Bathory told The Pulse Of Radio at the time that Snell's
      exit would not have any impact on the band's sound. "He wasn't a writing
      member, so it doesn't really affect how we sound like or how the songs are
      coming out, and especially [since] we were about to embark on the third record,
      it didn't matter really if the bass was gonna sound the same," he said.

      "War Is The Answer" has sold 533,000 copies in the United States
      since its release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It included the
      singles "Walk Away", "Bad Company" and "No
      One Gets Left Behind".
      Not simply for the sake of the body art alone, "Musical
      Ink" is a new portrait project from Toronto, Ontario, Canada photographer Jon Blacker.
      Spotlighting musicians and their tattoos, "Musical Ink" goes
      more than skin deep to focus on the personal meanings of the artist's body art.
      Be it a deep personal reflection or simply a great, funny story, the final
      package is displayed such that one page presents a portrait of the individual
      artist, while the facing page includes a detail image of their favorite tattoo
      surrounded by the artist's own words.

      The artists in "Musical Ink" represent as wide a range of
      musical genres as possible, from heavy metal to opera. Musicians who are wildly
      popular in one genre may be unknown in another, yet this is precisely what makes
      this project appeal to such a broad audience; there is something for every
      musical taste, and ultimately it is the artists' tattoos that tie it all
      together. Upwards of 100 artists are going to be invited to participate in the
      project.

      What makes "Musical Ink" especially unique is that it is being
      photographed in black and white using an infrared camera. This technique allows
      the tattoos to truly stand out from the skin because infrared light largely
      reflects off of skin yet is absorbed by tattoo ink creating a great deal of
      contrast between the almost glowing, ethereal appearance of the skin and the
      ink of the tattoos.

      This collection of portraits will result in a large format hard cover book with
      an accompanying behind the scenes documentary DVD which will include interviews
      with the artists and footage of the actual portrait sessions.

      "Musical Ink" will be published by Schiffer Publishing in the fall of 2012.

      Featured musicians (among many others):

      * John 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, MARILYN MANSON)
      * Michael Anthony (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT)
      * Gilby Clarke (GUNS N' ROSES)
      * Derrick Green (SEPULTURA)
      * Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT)
      * Brent Hinds (MASTODON)
      * Kerry King (SLAYER)
      * Steve "Lips" Kudlow (ANVIL)
      * Dave Kushner (VELVET REVOLVER)
      * Evan Seinfeld (BIOHAZARD)
      * Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, CHICKENFOOT)
      * Matt Sorum (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER, THE CULT)

      For more information, visit www.musical-ink.com.

      Robert Gray of Ultimate-Guitar.com recently conducted an interview with
      guitarist Andreas Kisser of Brazilian/American thrashers SEPULTURA.
      A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      Ultimate-Guitar.com: How did SEPULTURA come to sign with Nuclear
      Blast?

      Kisser: For our last album we were working with SPV, but they had
      many different problems — financial problems and so on. They unfortunately went
      bankrupt and the personnel changed there, so the people there we used to work
      with all left and now they have a different approach and different plans for
      everything. We decided to leave, although they kept our back catalogue. At the
      same time though, we were free really to deal with a different label for our
      next album. We were very lucky and very happy to have a chance to work with Nuclear
      Blast; they are a metal label, they've been there forever, they really
      understand the market and all the changes, and they survived because they
      understand what they're doing. They're real metalheads; they understand the
      fans, the style of music, and how to market this stuff. Like I said, we're very
      fortunate to have such a partner for this album and we're very happy to be
      together with them. So far it's working great, just preparing everything for
      this release since last year and building a plan and everything. It's all
      working really good — we're glad.

      Ultimate-Guitar.com: You said how "Kairos" is more or
      less a biography of SEPULTURA. Have you ever been tempted to sit down
      and write your memoirs?

      Kisser: Not really, but at the same time we are doing a movie right now.
      Since last year, when we started writing the album, the whole process of
      composition and then in the studio and now on the road, we're filming every
      day. We are talking about our history and at the same time really showing the
      actual moment of SEPULTURA, so the intention is really to film
      everything that's gonna happen during this album cycle and maybe in a year to a
      year and a half we're gonna be ready to release a movie talking about SEPULTURA's
      history. We're not actually writing our memoirs, but at the same time talking
      about ourselves and our history not in the form of a book but a movie. Let's
      see how the film develops; we've already filmed a lot of stuff, but we still
      have a lot to go.

      Ultimate-Guitar.com: Will this SEPULTURA documentary be released
      in conjunction with this filmed orchestral performance where the group played
      with Orquestra Experimental de Repertório on April 16th at the Virada
      Cultural festival in São Paulo, Brazil? Or will
      that be a separate release?

      Kisser: It's gonna be a part of the movie. We filmed everything of our
      appearance with the orchestra, but at the same time we didn't have a chance to
      really record a proper sound. The sound's not really that good, but the whole
      experience was amazing. It worked very well, but the intention is really to do
      more songs and try to do this type of show in a closed environment instead of
      doing it at an open festival like we did in São Paulo. We can then control a lot better
      the sound, not only from the band but from the orchestra especially, but this
      is something for next year. Everything is being recorded for the movie, and
      everything we do we are recording and filming so we have as much as we can to
      decide what's gonna be in the movie or not.

      Ultimate-Guitar.com: Did SEPULTURA's twenty-fifth anniversary
      have a musical effect on "Kairos"? Maybe flavours from some of
      the older records?

      Kisser: I think so man, not only from our records but from influences
      that we had during those days. Like the thrash metal bands and the punk and
      hardcore scenes, which we still listen to today. In those days those influences
      were stronger than they are today though, so I guess yeah, I think the whole
      celebration of twenty-five years was really something that brought that idea of
      time and what time is, and what the concept of time is. Then I found this word
      "kairos" that was really powerful, and really inspired the whole
      thing. It was great.

      Ultimate-Guitar.com: "Kairos" is SEPULTURA's
      second album to feature drummer Jean Donabella, who has played numerous
      shows with the group now. Was there that improved chemistry with Jean on "Kairos"?

      Kisser: Yeah, definitely. He's been in the band for like five years
      already and this is his second album with SEPULTURA, and we've been
      playing everywhere in every kind of situation from Cuba to South Africa to
      everywhere pretty much — we went to India and so on. Of course, this brings a
      lot of experience to play in any kind of situation and I think our playing is
      very tight. It makes you ready to face any type of situation really, live or in
      the studio. It makes working easier. We know each other better and the
      chemistry is there, so yeah, it's working great.
      Irish rockers GLYDER have completed work on their
      fourth studio album, "Backroads To Byzantium", for an October release
      via SPV/Steamhammer Records. According to a press release, the CD
      "takes the listener on a road trip that has a hint of Americana
      and progresses to the re-emerging troubles on the streets of Northern Ireland to being homeless on the
      streets of London.
      Other themes on the album concern the evils of the tabloid press and global
      warming. The album ends off in a reflective mood about mortality and how it's
      not the end."

      GLYDER's new singer Jackie Robinson has a unique rock voice that
      sometimes hints at Paul Rodgers and Phil Mogg. Hailing from
      Northern Ireland, he was recruited through an add on the Internet and because
      the rest of the band are from the South of Ireland, the album was written
      between Jackie and the two GLYDER guitarists, Bat Kinane and Pete Fisher, over email. Working with some home recording software
      and a few Gmail accounts, the new GLYDER album took shape over
      Christmas 2010 and early 2011. The album was recorded in Dublin
      and mixed in Copenhagen.
      The stunning artwork was created by Mark Wilkinson.

      Commented Bat Kinane: "This new GLYDER album has i feel my
      best songwriting and guitar playing to date. I've just put everything into this
      album and I also seem to have found a new confidence in my playing. Pete's
      playing is also great and he has some amazing solos.

      "You cannot mistake that this is a great guitar album, but the songwriting
      I feel is top-notch, too. Jackie, the new singer, really has a quality
      set of pipes and that makes it very exciting.

      "I like the fact that we used all the modern technology available to us to
      write the album because Jackie lives 200 miles away. It's very much a
      classic rock-sounding album, but it was written and recorded in a way that
      could have not been done thirty years ago.

      "I know in my heart we have done something very special on this album and
      I'm very proud to be in this band."

      GLYDER is:

      Jackie Robinson - Vocals
      Bat Kinane - Guitars and Backing Vocals
      Pete Fisher - Guitars
      Graham McClatchie - Bass
      Des McEvoy – Drums
      Frontiers Records will release the new HOUSE OF
      LORDS studio album, "Big Money", on September 23 in Europe
      and September 27 in North America.

      Following on the heels of "Cartesian Dreams", HOUSE OF
      LORDS is coming back with another amazingly strong release which presents
      again all the trademark elements of its melodic hard rock sound.

      "I am very proud to have done four HOUSE OF LORDS CDs with the same
      lineup," says singer James Christian. "I enjoy working with
      every one of them and plan to do many more records in the future. Mark Baker has now been on board as a co-writer for the last two CDs I love working with
      him. We are totally on the same page when writing new music."

      According to a press release, "Big Money" starts with the
      trademark vocals of James Christian and crashes into a power rock
      classic that you will not forget after the first listen, followed by in a song
      that Christian describes as "the band's best work to date," "One
      Man Down". Each song has its own distinct quality as you would expect
      from the LORDS and once again the album is full of soaring choruses,
      awesome guitar work and songs that grab you from the first listen and don't let
      go.

      "The elements we use on 'Big Money' are always the same for us and
      that is to write and record the best songs that we can," explains Christian.
      "We always write enough songs for more than one CD and then we pick the
      best songs to make up the new record. We will always be a melodic rock group.
      It is the music that made us want to be musicians in the first place. So we
      will always stay true to that art!"

      James teamed up again on the songwriting with longtime friend and
      partner Mark Baker, along with the other bandmembers Jimi Bell and BJ Zampa and Swedish producer/guitarist Tommy Denander.

      "Big Money" track listing:

      01. Big Money
      02. One Man Down
      03. First To Cry
      04. Searchin'
      05. Someday When
      06. Livin' In A Dream World
      07. The Next Time I Hold You
      08. Run For Your Life
      09. Hologram
      10. Seven
      11. Once Twice
      12. Blood
      13. Someday When (video clip)

      According to BostonHerald.com, COHEED AND CAMBRIA bassist Michael
      Todd was released from jail earlier today (Monday, July 25) after posting
      $25,000 bail.

      Todd was arrested for armed robbery on July 10 shortly before the band's
      performance at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, Massachusetts as the support act
      for SOUNDGARDEN. Todd allegedly walked into a Walgreens in Attleboro, Massachusetts
      and threatened to blow up the store with what was apparently a fake bomb unless
      he was given OxyContin. Todd made off with six bottles of the pain pill
      before police tracked the cab he escaped in. He was arrested outside Comcast Center and officially charged with armed
      robbery and unlawful possession of prescription narcotics.

      Todd, 30, was freed at midnight from the Dartmouth House of Corrections, Bernie Sullivan, spokesman for Bristol Sheriff Thomas Hodgson,
      told BostonHerald.com.

      It was unknown this morning who posted bail for the bassist.

      Todd previously left COHEED AND CAMBRIA in 2006 in order to seek
      treatment for heroin addiction. After a stint in rehab, he returned to the group
      in 2007.

      Regina, Saskatchewan-based Canadian extreme progressive
      metallers INTO ETERNITY will enter the studio this weekend to record
      drums for four new songs — "The Fringes Of Psychosis", "Fukushima", "Devoured
      By Sarcopenia" and an as-yet-untitled acoustic track.

      INTO ETERNITY recently released its first new material since 2008 in the
      form of a new song called "Sandstorm". The track, which is
      available on iTunes and Bandcamp, features guest death vocals by Rob Doherty and marks the recording debut of the band's new drummer Brian Newbury,
      who was previously known in the western Canadian metal scene as a member of
      Edmonton, Alberta-based group DEATH TOLL RISING.

      A special package deal for "Sandstorm" will be made available
      soon via RealDealMerch.com including a "Sandstorm" t-shirt (artwork by Mattias Norén). With the purchase of the shirt (for
      a limited time it will be only $12), you get a Tim Roth vocal mix, a Stu
      Block vocal mix, the normal version of the song, and an instrumental mix.

      "Sandstorm" was written the day the USA took out Osama Bin Laden,
      and is inspired by the events that transpired.

      INTO ETERNITY's last album, "The Incurable Tragedy",
      came out in 2008 via Century Media.

      Candlelight Records has set an October 4 North
      American release date for ABSU's new album titled "Abzu".
      The CD is part two of a planned trilogy of recordings from the Dallas-based
      mythological occult metal band. Mixed by J.T. Longoria (KING DIAMOND, SOLITUDE AETERNUS), the effort features the original works of Polish
      artist Zbigniew Bielak (WATAIN, BEHEMOTH, DESTROYER 666, VADER).

      Check out the album cover below.

      Recorded at Nomad Recording Studios in Carrollton, Texas, "Abzu" finds drummer/vocalist Proscriptor and
      bassist/vocalist Ezezu sharing equal vocal duties and debuts the skills
      of new guitarist Vis Crom. Proscriptor comments, "'Abzu' is the first studio release to feature a co-vocalist alongside myself since our
      third album, 'The Third Storm Of Cythraul'. Ezezu's vocal
      presentation is beyond superlative and I am overly pleased with his execution
      and delivery. The songwriting undertakings were equally distributed between
      both Ezezu and Vis Crom and I must admit it brings an admirable
      multiplicity to the album as a whole. The last song on the album, 'A Song
      For Ea', was composed in six movements, as it brought the entire band
      together as an equivalent songwriting team. Vis Crom has definitely
      proven to be ABSU's most proficient guitarist in the history of the
      band."

      Writing for "Abzu" began last autumn. Proscriptor notes, "This album has not only been the most challenging in ABSU's
      discography, but the quickest paced — composition and arrangement wise. The current
      lineup is scattered all across the United States, so the album was
      physically written utilizing Internet file sharing. We even rehearsed, at
      times, while communicating via cell phones. Lyrically, the album descends
      deeper into Enki's lower world as well Thelemic and Enochian Magic(k) Systems.
      My lyrical architecture is extremely convoluted, so I decided to create a
      generalized synopsis explaining the themes behind each song. I feel these are
      my best poems since 2001's 'Tara'."

      "Abzu" has benefited from the unity of the band despite
      limited face-to-face rehearsal time. In fact only two proper rehearsals were
      had; one preparing for the band's dates with IMMORTAL earlier this year.
      The six-date showcase tour was the first live American dates for the band since
      their headline tour in June of 2009. Proscriptor confirms, "We
      rehearsed one week prior to the tour supporting IMMORTAL and exactly one
      week after in preparation for the studio experience. I can honestly say this is
      the first time ABSU has rehearsed for only one week, as an entire unit,
      before entering the studio."

      ABSU recently returned from Finland where it performed at the Hammer
      Open Air festival. "For the first time in history, we presented a
      complete and unabridged version of ABSU's second album, 'The Sun of
      Tiphareth'," says Vis Crom of the performance. "Now, we
      prepare with eagerness to do the same at upcoming performances in Greece and The
      Netherlands. The crowds at Party.San Open Air and Brutal Assault can expect a different, but unique live set. After that, our sights are set on
      North American abyss."

      "Abzu" track listing:

      01. Earth Ripper
      02. Circles of the Oath
      03. Abraxas Connexus
      04. Skrying in the Spirit Vision
      05. Ontologically, It Became Time & Space
      06. A Song for Ea including:
      a. E-A
      b. A Myriad of Portals
      c. Third Tablet
      d. Warrenof Imhullu
      e. The Waters - The Denizens
      f. E-A (Reprise)
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/abzu.jpg
      RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE guitarist Tom Morello is getting into the comic book business. The musician unveiled a new
      publication called "Orchid" at the 2011 Comic-Con
      International in San Diego over the weekend, announcing that the debut
      issue will come out on October 12 through Dark Horse Comics. Morello said in a statement, "It's like 'Lord Of The Rings' meets 'Battle
      Of Algiers'. I wanted to craft a story that has the same visceral impact and
      political clout as the music I've been involved in."

      The story follows a 16-year-old street prostitute in a dystopian future society
      who learns that "she is more than the role society has imposed upon
      her."

      In Morello's vision of the future, the seas have risen and swamped much
      of the land, with human settlements surrounded by dense wilderness and strange
      new creatures. The wealthy live in fortress-like cities high above the rest.

      The book will run for 12 issues and Morello has written a song for each
      chapter that will be distributed for free along with the comic.

      Meanwhile, Morello will next appear onstage this Saturday (July 30) at
      the band's L.A. Rising festival, which will take place at Los Angeles
      Memorial Coliseum. Morello told The Pulse Of Radio how the event
      will differ from other music festivals. "This festival is gonna be
      different from Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza," he
      said. "This is a festival that is run by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE and it's going to reflect that. (laughs) You know, when you enter the site,
      it's gonna look very different than any other festival. There are gonna be
      causes and activist organizations and charities that we endorse, presented in a
      very different way."

      The L.A. Rising bill will also feature full sets from MUSE, RISE
      AGAINST and others in addition to the headliners.

      Morello will release his third solo album as THE NIGHTWATCHMAN,
      titled "World Wide Rebel Songs", on August 30. This will be
      the first of Morello's solo efforts to feature a full electric band.

      Morello will support INCUBUS on a few of that band's upcoming August
      dates before heading to Europe with RISE
      AGAINST in the fall.
      Cleveland doom rockers VENOMIN
      JAMES will take part in a meet-and-greet on August 6 at the sold-out Wacken
      Open Air festival in Wacken, Germany. The
      signing session, sponsored by Relentless Energy Drink, will be held from 7:00
      p.m. to 7:45 p.m. at the W:O:A Fanclub Stand on the festival grounds. The band
      is scheduled to perform live later that same evening in a prime time spot at
      12:15 a.m. (Saturday night) on the W.E.T. Stage.

      "VENOMIN JAMES is my very first label band invited by the festival
      organizers to participate in a meet-and-greet session at Wacken,"
      says Auburn Records president Bill Peters. "We've had
      tremendous success with the band's recent 'Make No Mistake' video on the
      festival's WackenTube.com site. It's quickly become a big hit, with over
      60,000 views. Those are some incredible numbers! It is now officially one of
      the site's all-time most popular videos.

      "We would like to thank the fans and everyone involved with Wacken for all of their support.

      "The band guys are not really the crazed, serial killer-looking types they
      may appear to be in their photos and videos, so Wacken fans should have
      no fear in approaching them at the meet-and-greet. They may try to bite but
      they most definitely will not kill you!"

      For the complete Wacken meet-and-greet schedule, go to this
      location.

      The "Make No Mistake" video was directed by VENOMIN JAMES guitarist Joe Fortunato. The song comes off the band's latest album, "Crowe Valley
      Blues", which came out late last year via Auburn Records.

      VENOMIN JAMES is putting the finishing touches on its third studio
      album, "Unholy Mountain", for Auburn
      Records.

      VENOMIN JAMES is:

      Joe Fortunato - guitar
      Tomasz Scull - guitar
      Jim Meador - vocals
      Erin Corcoran - bass
      Eric Matthews - drums
      Massachusetts
      rockers STAIND will release their self-titled seventh album on September
      13 via Atlantic Records. Produced by Johnny K – known for his
      work with 3 DOORS DOWN, DISTURBED, and SEVENDUST, not to
      mention his Grammy Award-nominated collaboration with STAIND,
      2008's "The Illusion Of Progress" — and mixed by the legendary Chris Lord-Alge, the CD stands as STAIND's most intense and
      powerful work to date. The album is heralded by the new song, "Eyes
      Wide Open", as well as "Not Again", the first
      official single from "Staind".

      Singer/songwriter/guitarist Aaron Lewis recently described "Staind" as "the heaviest thing we have recorded in a long time. It's definitely
      one of the heaviest collections of songs that we have put together."

      "It's completely different than the last record," agreed guitarist Mike
      Mushok. "It's more of a throwback to where we came from. I definitely
      think it's fresh. It's a modern-sounding version of a heavy STAIND record. It's pretty cool."

      "Staind" has already earned advance acclaim from ARTISTdirect,
      which hailed the album as a "timeless masterpiece," praising Lewis'
      vocals for "reach(ing) heights that only legends can touch."

      "Staind" track listing:

      01. Not Again
      02. Eyes Wide Open
      03. Failing
      04. Wannabe
      05. Throw It All Away
      06. Now
      07. The Bottom
      08. Take a Breath
      09. Paper Wings
      10. Something To Remind You

      STAIND will perform at KROQ's annual rock festival, Epicenter
      2011, slated for September 24 at Irvine, California's Verizon Wireless
      Amphitheatre.
      STAIND recently parted ways with drummer Jon Wysocki after
      seventeen years of playing together. Drummer Will Hunt (EVANESCENCE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, TOMMY LEE) sat behind the kit for STAIND for several shows in May.
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/staind2011cd.jpg
      German metallers BRAINSTORM will release their new
      album, "On The Spur Of The Moment", on September 30 via AFM
      Records. The CD was recorded at Studio 22 in Ludwigsburg, Germany
      with Axel Heckert. According to BRAINSTORM, "Axel is
      a huge fan of the band and he [helped] us to reach a whole new level."

      "On The Spur Of The Moment" track listing:

      01. Below The Line
      02. In The Blink Of An Eye
      03. TempleOf Stone
      04. In These Walls
      05. Still Insane
      06. Dark Life
      07. No Saint - No Sinner
      08. Where Your Actions Lead You To Live
      09. A Life On Hold
      10. My Own Hell
      http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/brainstormspur.jpg
      Technical extreme metal instrumentalists BLOTTED SCIENCE,
      featuring guitarist/mastermind Ron Jarzombek (WATCHTOWER, TERRESTRIAL
      EXILED, SPASTIC INK), bassist Alex Webster (CANNIBAL
      CORPSE, HATE ETERNAL), and new arrival, drummer Hannes Grossmann (OBSCURA, TERRESTRIAL EXILED), are currently putting the
      finishing touches on their long-awaited new EP, "The Animation Of
      Entomology", which is due out this fall via Ron Jarzombek's EclecticElectric label.

      "Well, it's been a long, arduous process but we're finally seeing light at
      the end of tunnel", states Jarzombek enthusiastically. "Hannes has been done for a few months, Alex finished up his tracks in early June, and
      I'm now in the home stretch with my solos. I'm so psyched about what the
      reaction will be once fans hear and see what we're doing. If you can imagine a
      cross between CANNIBAL CORPSE, SPASTIC INK, and a Bugs Bunny cartoon — that's pretty much what's going on."

      "The Animation Of Entomology" takes Jarzombek's
      fascination with animated cartoons and creepy crawlies to a whole new level.
      After having experimented with writing complex pieces of music to sync up with
      classic movie sequences with SPASTIC INK on "The Wild Hare" and "The Cereal Mouse", respectively, the concept has now been
      applied to BLOTTED SCIENCE over the course of seven songs and a total of
      24 minutes of music.

      "I totally busted my ass syncing things up, carefully orchestrated music
      to film, bug movies actually, and nit-picked notes to death on this material
      until my fingers bleed and my brain nearly exploded," Jarzombek says. "We wanted to follow up 'Machinations' along some of the same
      lines of science and gore, and came up with a killer concept and some great
      material with yet another 12-tone system. How everything all falls into place I
      think is beyond incredible! Whether this is the heaviest or most technical
      thing I've ever done, I don't really know or care, but no other band/project is
      pulling off what we are doing with this EP."

      "The Animation Of Entomology" track listing:

      01. Ingesting Blattaria
      02. Cretaceous Chasm
      03. Vermicular Asphyxiation
      04. A Sting Operation
      I.Human Barbequed
      II. Cessation Sanitation
      III. Seeing Dead People
      IV. Omitting Eyes

      The folllow-up to the band's highly acclaimed 2007 "The Machinations Of
      Dementia" full-length album is being produced and mixed by Ron
      Jarzombek and recorded in San Antonio, Texas; Tampa, Florida; and V.
      Santura's (OBSCURA, TRIPTYKON) Woodshed Studios in
      Landshut, Germany where the drums were cut. Mastering duties are once again
      being handled by Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, DESTRUCTION) at Hansen
      Studios in Ribe, Denmark.
      Arizona
      grind-masters LANDMINE MARATHON will release their fourth album, "Gallows",
      on September 27 via Prosthetic Records. The CD was recorded by LANDMINE
      MARATHON guitarist Ryan Butler at Arcane Digital Recording Studio (EXHUMED, NIGHTRAGE, MISERY INDEX, PHOBIA) and
      mastered by Dave Shirk at Sonorous Mastering. The album features
      the debut of the band's new drummer, Andy York.

      The "Gallows" cover art was created by U.K. artist Rob
      "Mid " Middleton, who has previously worked with NAPALM DEATH, EXTREME NOISE TERROR and DEVIATED INSTINCT (in which Middleton plays guitar), among others.

      "Gallows" track listing:

      01. Three Snake Leaves
      02. Cutting Flesh And Bone
      03. Knife From My Sleeve
      04. Liver And Lungs
      05. Dead Horses
      06. Cloaked In Red
      07. Beaten And Left Blind
      08. Morbidity

      Fronted by vocalist Grace Perry, once heralded by MTV as a
      "dynamic she-beast" and widely considered one of the most captivating
      live performers in the metal scene, LANDMINE MARATHON has ascended
      steadily since its 2006 debut. Much like the apocalyptic sandstorms seen in
      recent newscasts from LANDMINE's hometown of Phoenix, the quintet brings
      a raw, destructive power to its grinding anthems, revitalizing the sound
      pioneered by bands like BOLT THROWER and ENTOMBED.

      LANDMINE MARATHON will be touring the world in support of "Gallows".
      The band hits the road in July for a tour of the Western U.S., teaming up along
      the way with TOXIC HOLOCAUST, BASTARD NOISE, and more, then
      follows up in the fall with a slot on "America Torn Asunder", a
      full North American tour with WARBRINGER, LAZARUS<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)