Uriah Heep, Iron Maiden, Heaven and Hell, Tygers of Pan Tang, Megadeth, Kingdom COme, Michael Lee, Guns N Roses, Adler's Appetite, Kiss and tons more news

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Legendary rockers URIAH HEEP have announced a new live date for Paris, France. They will play The Olympia on April 5th, 2009. More details will be revealed soon.

      The band's live schedule is now as follows:

      December
      4 - Club 22 - Athens, Greece (1 hour acoustic show)
      13 - Hala Tivoli - Ljubljana, Slovenia

      April
      5 - The Olympia - Paris, France

      As previously reported the band's Sonic Origami album, originally recorded in 1998, will be made available on limited edition vinyl LP in 2009, via Night Of The Vinyl Dead. The label met up with the band following a recent date in Milan, Italy and struck a deal for the release. Further details as they become available.

      Sonic Origami's original tracklisting: 'Between Two Worlds', 'I Hear Voices', 'Perfect Little Heart', 'Heartless Land', 'Only The Young', 'In The Moment', 'Question', 'Change', 'Shelter From The Rain', 'Everything In Life', 'Across The Miles', 'Feels Like', 'The Golden Palace'.

      British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN have announced five shows in Brazil as part of the fourth and final leg of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour.

      The group's schedule is now shaping up as follows:

      Feb. 13 - Dubai, UAE - Media City Amphitheatre
      Feb. 15 - Bangalore, India Royal - Challenge Rock In India
      Feb. 20 - Auckland, New Zealand - Mount Smart Stadium
      Feb. 21 - Christchurch, New Zealand - AMI Stadium
      Feb. 25 - Monterrey, Mexico - Estadio - Technologico
      Feb. 26 - Guadalajara, Mexico - Arena VFG Jalisco
      Feb. 28 - Mexico City, Mexico - Fero Sol Stadium Complex
      Mar. 05 - Caracas, Venezuela - Estadio
      Mar. 07 - Bogota, Colombia - Simon Bolivar Park
      Mar. 12 - Manaus, Brazil - Sambrodromo
      Mar. 14 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil - Apoteose
      Mar. 15 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Autdromo De Interlagos
      Mar. 18 - Recife, Brazil - Estadio Municipal
      Mar. 20 - Brasilia, Brazil - Brasilia Camping
      Mar. 22 - Santiago, Chile - Estadio Nacional

      For more information, go to www.mondoentretenimento.com.br

      This will be the first time that the band has ever played in the beautiful coastal city of Recife, the capital city Brasilia, and Manaus, situated on the Amazon in the very heart of the rainforest. It will also be its first visit to Rio for six years.

      Following massive demand for tickets and the rapid sellout of the 40,000-capacity Palmeiras Stadium in Sao Paulo earlier this year, the band will also return there again, but this time in a much bigger venue, the famous Formula One Grand Prix circuit Interlagos, where Lewis Hamilton sealed the Formula One world championship last month. Other than Formula One racing, the only other events ever to be arranged there are a concert by KISS in 1999, Brazil's Skol Beat electronic dance festival and an appearance by His Holiness the Pope, for whom hundreds of thousands turned out. It promises to be a very special event.

      Following the huge international success of their spectacular Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 08, IRON MAIDEN will be taking to the skies once again in 2009 for a fourth and final leg starting in Dubai on February 13.

      Loaded up with a full complement of band, crew and twelve tons of stage set and equipment, the band's customized Boeing 757, christened Ed Force One by the fans and flown again by Astraeus Airlines captain and MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson, will once again be circumnavigating 80,000 km around the planet for concerts in 19 cities in eleven countries, making it a staggering 37 countries in total visited on this tour, playing to almost two million fans.

      Taking off in early February, MAIDEN will make their first appearances in New Zealand for 16 years via Dubai and Bangalore followed by the long haul journey for a return to Mexico in some even larger venues and then finishing with an extended run through Central and South America to include countries and cities they have not visited before.

      The Somewhere Back In Time tour revisits the band's history by focusing almost entirely on the '80s in both choice of songs played and the stage set, which is based around the legendary Egyptian production of the 1984-85 Powerslave Tour which was featured on the recent DVD "Live After Death". This is arguably the most elaborate and spectacular show the band have ever presented, and will include some key elements of their Somewhere In Time tour of 1986/7, such as the Cyborg Eddie.

      Comments Bruce Dickinson, "This unique way of touring earlier this year with everyone and all our gear onboard the plane helped to make 2008 easily one of the most successful, exciting and fun years in the band's career. Taking Ed Force One around the planet and playing to our fans in so many different countries was an incredible experience for all of us. For me personally, flying and performing was one of the most challenging and satisfying things I've ever attempted despite the rigours and all the logistical difficulties we encountered. In fact it was so much fun we decided to do it again as a final leg of this tour All in all this will be a fantastic way to round off a tremendous year for the band before we take a bit of time off and then start work on a new studio album."

      Says Steve Harris, "We will once again be loading onto the plane as much of the production and stage set as we can ram in, along with arranging plenty of pyro for all the shows!! We will also be changing round the set list and replacing some of the songs, mainly with songs from the first four albums as the Early Days tour a few years back didn't visit any of these places so we thought the fans would like to hear some of that even earlier material. This tour is likely to be the last time we play many of these songs live so we really will be giving it everything we have got!"

      The IRON MAIDEN plane Ed Force One has been back in regular airline service since the end of the first leg in March this year and has been used for the "Bruce Air" fan club flying trips during the European leg of the tour, as well as Bruce flying various missions to bring troops back home from tours of duty in Afghanistan and collecting stranded British tourists in the recent major airline closures. However the Boeing 757 will be taken back into the hanger soon to be completely refitted and its MAIDEN livery restored, this having been removed due to fears of evil ju-ju spirits — Eddie! — inhabiting the plane from worried passengers on its summer route from Central Africa!

      IRON MAIDEN has made arrangements with the local promoters to facilitate a special first ticket pre-sale to members of its fan club, which will mean they will be guaranteed to get a ticket, and be able buy the best seats where applicable.

      CNN.com reports that veteran heavy metal band IRON MAIDEN today announced five new tour dates in Brazil, within months of playing to capacity crowds in some of country's biggest music venues.

      Last March, they packed out the 40,000 capacity Palmeiras Stadium in Sao Paulo. Next March, they'll be following in the formidable footsteps of Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton, rock band KISS and the Pope, no less, to wow the crowds at the Autodromo de Interlagos.

      The race track is one venue they don't expect to sell out.

      "Capacity is about 400,000. I don't think we'll get 400,000," IRON MAIDEN's manager Rod Smallwood told CNN, "We're set for about 60,000 and we hope to go past that."

      The band has every reason to be confident of strong ticket sales in South America where fan loyalty verges on fanaticism.

      When the band last toured Curitiba in Brazil in March 2008, thousands of ecstatic "MAIDEN" supporters kept them awake overnight by booming IRON MAIDEN music outside their hotel.

      Although the concert has yet to be confirmed via the band's official web site, British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN will reportedly perform a headlining show at Estadio Nacional in Lima, Peru on March 26, 2009. A commercial for the gig, which was apparently aired during Argentinian band FABULOSOS CADILLACS' performance in Lima, can be viewed below.

[...]

      HEAVEN AND HELL — the band featuring BLACK SABBATH members Ronnie James Dio (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Vinny Appice (drums) — has entered Rockfield studios in Wales, England to begin recording its new album, the group's first since SABBATH's "Dehumanizer" (which was also recorded at Rockfield) in 1992. An early 2009 release via Rhino Records is expected.

      Two years ago, Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice reunited to record a trio of new songs for Rhino's "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" before launching a highly anticipated and greatly acclaimed world tour under their new moniker HEAVEN AND HELL. Revitalized by the reunion, the lineup is back in the studio now recording the first-ever full-length studio album from HEAVEN AND HELL. To whet the fans' appetites for the new album, HEAVEN AND HELL returned to the road this past summer for a short stint on the Metal Masters Tour, a month-long North American trek with JUDAS PRIEST, MOTÖRHEAD, and TESTAMENT.

      Regarding the band's decision to continue to operate as HEAVEN AND HELL rather than BLACK SABBATH, Iommi told Billboard.com earlier this year, "It really is BLACK SABBATH, whatever we do. We just choose to go out as HEAVEN AND HELL so everyone knows what they're getting [and] so people won't expect to hear 'Iron Man' and all those songs. We've done them for so many years, it's nice to do just all the stuff with did with Ronnie again."

      HEAVEN AND HELL will hit the road in early 2009 in support of the new album. So far the following shows have been announced:

      June 3-6 - Sölvesborg, Sweden - Sweden Rock Festival
      June 19-21 - Clisson, France - Hellfest

      BLACK SABBATH's "The Rules Of Hell" box set — which features all three of SABBATH's Dio-era studio releases ("Heaven And Hell", "Mob Rules", "Dehumanizer") and its double live collection ("Live Evil"), each remastered for the first time — sold around 2,650 copies in the United States in its first week of release back in July 2008, according to Nielsen SoundScan."The Rules Of Hell" comes packaged in a deluxe slipcase with extensive liner notes featuring all new interviews with the band.

      HEAVEN AND HELL, MANOWAR, SACRED REICH, STRATOVARIUS, ANTHRAX, GOD FORBID and GORGOROTH are among the confirmed bands for next year's Hellfest, set to take place June 19-21, 2009 in Clisson, France.

      The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

      ALL SHALL PERISH
      AMON AMARTH
      ANTHRAX
      AURA NOIR
      BACKYARD BABIES
      CATHEDRAL
      DESTRUCTION
      DEVILDRIVER
      ELECTRIC WIZARD
      ENSLAVED
      ENTOMBED
      EPICA
      GAMA BOMB
      GOD FORBID
      GORGOROTH
      GRAND MAGUS
      HEAVEN AND HELL
      HEAVEN SHALL BURN
      HOLYHELL
      KYLESA
      MAD SIN
      MANOWAR
      MELECHESCH
      MISERY INDEX
      MISFITS
      NAPALM DEATH
      ORANGE GOBLIN
      OUTLAW ORDER
      PARKWAY DRIVE
      SACRED REICH
      STRATOVARIUS
      SUICIDE SILENCE
      THE BUSINESS
      TORCHE
      WHITECHAPEL
      WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM

      NWOBHM legends TYGERS OF PAN TANG have issued the following update:

      "We are delighted to announce confirmation that the TYGERS will be playing at two of Europe's best underground festivals: Heavy Metal Maniacs in Hoorn, Holland on October 24, 2009 and Keep it True in Konigshofen, Germany in April 2010. Both festivals are renowned for an appreciation of older-school rock and seem the perfect opportunity to play some songs from both 'Wildcat' and 'Spellbound', celebrating 30 years since release. We hope to confirm more festival appearances soon and will announce these on the MySpace and websites as soon as possible."

      TYGERS' new album, "Animal Instinct", was released in Italy, Germany and Scandinavia on June 9, and was made available and in Japan in mid-July via Marquee/Avalon. The CD is also available in the UK and via the band's official web site.

      According to a press release, "Animal Instinct", sees the band "go back to their early roots, playing hard-edged rock in the manner of 'Wildcat' and 'Spellbound'."

      TYGERS OF PAN TANG's current lineup is:

      Robb Weir - Guitar
      Dean Robertson - Guitar
      Jacopo Meille - Vocals
      Brian West - Bass
      Craig Ellis – Drums

      MEGADETH is in the early stages of the songwriting process for the band's new album, which is tentatively expected sometime next year via Roadrunner Records. The CD is once again being helmed by acclaimed British producer Andy "Undie" Sneap, who produced MEGADETH's last album, "United Abominations" (May 2007, Roadrunner Records).

      MEGADETH's forthcoming LP will be the group's first with guitarist Chris Broderick, who replaced Glen Drover at the end of last year.

      MEGADETH drummer Shawn Drover has issued the following update via the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

      "We now have four-and-a-half songs completed in demo form (no vocals yet; that happens later) to which I am quite happy with how the songs are shaping up. We fine-tuned them all pretty good so the actual recording should be quite easy when [they] are ready. We are having a good time and all seem to be in a creative frame of mind, which makes me happy. Andy and myself will be back at Vic's [Garage, MEGADETH's recently built recording studio] within a week and get right back to getting the rest of the demos recorded."

      MEGADETH will embark on the "Priest Feast" European tour in February 2009 with headliners JUDAS PRIEST and openers TESTAMENT.

      MEGADETH's "Anthology: Set The World Afire" (Capitol/EMI) career-spanning 2-CD and digital collection sold around 2,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

      MEGADETH is in the early stages of the songwriting process for the band's new album, which is tentatively expected sometime next year via Roadrunner Records. The CD is once again being helmed by acclaimed British producer Andy "Undie" Sneap, who produced MEGADETH's last album, "United Abominations" (May 2007, Roadrunner Records).

      MEGADETH's forthcoming LP will be the group's first with guitarist Chris Broderick, who replaced Glen Drover at the end of last year.

      MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has issued the following update via the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

      "I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I know I did. I was able to wrangle someone else to come cook for the family, and Pam [Dave's wife] got a reprieve, so she was 'thankful' for that.

      "And there really was an 'air' of gratitude this year that has been missing to some degree before. There has always been some deal, or job, or gig, or something that would be interfering with the atmosphere, and this year, it was really the first time that I wasn't 'giving an interview' at the table. My family hates that; and I get uncomfortable talking about myself too. I mean, I do it every day when I am out doing promo tours and press, and it just gets old hearing the same sh*t everyday for them, so I thank our guests for their tact and manners.

      "I have been very busy with Justis' [Dave's son] band and trying to get him off in the right direction. His whole world is 'clicking' right now. They have a name they like, got a bassist named Brian that James Lomenzo [MEGADETH bassist] recommended — completing their lineup (although he is just 16 and been in three accidents already), and now it is just investing the 'time' that it takes to get ready to be released out into the world. I hope he has as much fun as I have, and that he refrains from making the mistakes I did. Although I still stand by the things that I believe in, some of the stuff I did was the stuff that kids do. And the bad stuff was fun sometimes too.

      "Today is an 'off day' at the studio. Andy and Shawn [Drover, MEGADETH drummer] are both gone; they have been since Wednesday, but I have been in the studio every day on my own working on stuff with James and without him (what a solid guy!), and I think that the last two days I have made some slight-to-vast improvements on some of the four songs we were working on already. I am getting ready to start cutting the remaining eight songs when Andy gets back, and then we will start the process of tracking and overdubbing all the parts for our hopeful 2009 release. Remember, there has been some setbacks due to visa applications, and while that is sorted out now, we have lost precious time and will no doubt have tremendous difficulty finishing this record before we leave for the Priest Feast UK/Euro tour in February.

      "I have been having a lot of fun listening to old MEGADETH and IRON MAIDEN, as well as BUDGIE and loads of old AC/DC; you know, all the stuff that made me a lil snarler when I was starting MEGADETH. We now have a focus and a vision for this record and while I have not heard the other band members' stuff, I look forward to seeing if we are going to find any 'magic.' I did hear Shawn's stuff from three years ago, and some of James' older stuff, so I look forward to next month when everyone returns to Vic's [Garage, MEGADETH's newly built recording studio] and hearing if they are going to give me the same stuff twice like Nick [Menza, former MEGADETH drummer] used to do, or if they have new stuff.

      "In the meantime, I tried a new prototype piece of equipment that I have been modifying for years, and now the company has taken the 'mod' and done it themselves in the factory (actually the company's patriarch had done this many years earlier I am told, and that is where I believe I got my original inspiration, so we are just really completing the circle, for the purist or archivist, and I am one happy headbanger!) Not only does it sound devastating, it looks like a stealth bomber had this cut out of its body. It just needs after-burners blasting 15 foot flames out the front of it for realism... so you can get the full effect I feel.

      "I now have my ultimate weapons and tools and am ready for another world tour. Who's coming with me?

      "Back down at the Garage yesterday, Justis and I were in punching some overdubs on some guitar and bass ideas (he wasn't playing, I was), and although I wish I knew more about Pro Tools than I do, I have to say that I am really stoked with the product, and I LOVE Digidesign's Eleven software. You will without a doubt be hearing this new product in the months to come once some of the record, or a teeny piece of it are uploaded for you to get a peek at and if you see me live.

      "There has been so much great stuff in the news headlines to write about, that I am left with a confusing mess of what to write about. This record is going to be a 'your guess is as good as mine' lyrical offering. Is it political, is it military, is it personal, is it spiritual, occult oriented, what, wHaT, WHAT?!?!

      "Well, all I know is that just like my name and my music are on record with my last band, indubitably with my new band, and it is ridiculous to think otherwise, the same can be said about anything I play; I have my own sound and style. I am grateful that I have my own style. There is a sea of a thousand bands that all sound the same right now. They look the same, dress the same, wear the same chick's eyeliner, the same chick's 'chicks' nail polish (but you have to scrape it off so you look tough, instead of looking like a, er, whatever) and we all know that nail polish makes you play faster, better, quicker, more, AND if you order now . . . uh, oh yeah, what was I saying? I seem to have gone tentacular again.

      "Oh yeah, sh*t bands that look the same. Well, fortunately with a six-foot-plus raging native American [referring to TESTAMENT's Chuck Billy], a bald Englishmen on a motorcycle [referring to JUDAS PRIEST's Rob Halford], and a skinny red-headed 'me' — we of Priest Feast visually ain't got much in common. Except when it comes to 'Delivering the Goods,' as the boys in JUDAS PRIEST say. I really am looking forward to seeing Eric [Peterson] and the boys in TESTAMENT, as well as Glenn Tipton and JUDAS PRIEST. I must confess that Glenn was a superstar to me when I first discovered JUDAS PRIEST, and I even bought a Fedora (hat) because he was wearing one on the back of 'Sad Wings of Destiny'. We have had some good times while on the 'Painkiller' tour and I hope to be able to return the favor, now that I have more than two nickles to rub together.

      "I am going to spend the day immersed in music again and until I feel this record is done. Sadly, that may mean later as opposed to sooner. But I know that Roadrunner is supportive, and since the visa problem has been sorted out, we are going to do our best to make you the greatest MEGADETH record ever. I know that there are people that already are saying it won't happen, but I mean, come on. . . who sets out to do anything second-best? Not even my favorite losing football team, the Oakland Raiders, are that bad. I mean, we all want to win, and some of the things that mattered to me then, don't matter anymore, or some that didn't matter then, they matter now.

      "Life changes, and that is why people move on as fans. As soon as someone moves on from MEGADETH, there is another new fan — young and old — just waiting to discover these mind-blowing guitar songs. Yes, I consider them guitar songs, because I am not a hit-song writer. I write songs for the guitar, and although I did try my hand at writing for radio, and I did have several Top 20, Top 10, Top 5, and one No. 1 single in America, I like to play the stuff that makes you say, 'How does he do that and sing?' I have to have one thing in life that I am good at beside just shredding and snarling. Funny, how quickly people forget all of the success I have had (me included).

      "I am going to try to speed read several books for some lyrical inspiration. I can do that — what a cool thing too. I took the Evelyn Wood's speed reading thing many, many years ago. There is probably something else by now, but what a blessing to be able to learn how to read fast; especially fiction. I have to go down now and feed Rocky, my miniature horse. He kicked Electra [Dave's daughter] the other day, and that made me mad at him, and Pam is such a horse person, she said what happened and it totally made sense. I still am upset that my little girl got kicked by a horse though.

      "I started doing the widgets finally, so I will answer some more of those on Monday, as well as keep you posted here and at our MFC site (our MegaFanClub [MEGADETH's official fan club]).

      "I have a challenge for you... see if you can do something random, something kind and post it at the MEGADETH forums. Along with our usual guest list, I am getting ready to make a list of the fans that impress me, that we are going to be giving out limited backstage passes for Priest Feast, and Gigantour in The States and Canada next year, and I am impressed by all kinds of stuff. Anything that you can think of, from a teacher that is good to you and your class or school that you think would deserve being recognized; or someone in your circle or maybe your neighborhood that has really overcome adversity; or someone who you think is a hero or a special person in your community. These passes will, of course, only be for the areas that we have control over and can give out passes to, but I wanted to see you and meet you, I want to know who of our fans are making a difference.

      "I have met a doctor in El Paso, Texas that does operations inside of pregnant women on fetuses with heart problems, I have had star athletes in baseball, football, hockey, and MMA, I have had NYPD and NYFD members honor us with their presence at our concerts (although we were visiting firehouses long before 9/11 and knew that the first-responders were heroes long before our nations tragedy during the Bush years). I even just got a MMS sent to me from a brain surgeon in California and he said that they listen to 'Symphony of Destruction' before every brain surgery.

      "I think the best ones are when I get something from that one lonely student, sent away to break to chains of economic failure in his family, or the kid that is at home and locked in his room because of abusive parents or step-parents or the mom's drunken, drugged out new boyfriend that beats him/her (this has happened on more occasions than I would like to count), or the young men and women sent over to the Middle East for who knows what anymore, and even from people who are stuck behind the 'metal wall of intolerance' in their countries; like metal fans in Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, some parts of the U.A.E., and so on and so on. I remember the first time we were at war with Lebanon, and I had just met a Lebanese fan.

      "I felt very odd... here I am standing with a person who is by descent and due to the war, my enemy, yet MEGADETH music had crossed his borders long before and made an impression on him enough to want to say hello. And it takes guts to walk up to someone when you know they are at war with your country and say 'anything!' I felt an awkward bond, even toe-to-toe with a fan because of his descent from a place the U.S. was at war with, nonetheless, slight as it was, I felt a bond. At that exact moment, I knew what I was to be trapped by your countries politics. And we have gone to play places that I never thought we would play, like Israel, Turkey, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, and I have a short list of other hot-spots I would still like to play, but it is for the young people of these countries.

      "I think I have had enough coffee for today.

      "Please take care and have a great week. I look forward to what y'all come up with. We will lay out all of the criteria for verifying your claims, and... helping an old granny across the street doesn't count, because YOU SHOULD BE DOING THAT!"

      MEGADETH will embark on the "Priest Feast" European tour in February 2009 with headliners JUDAS PRIEST and openers TESTAMENT.

      German hard rockers KINGDOM COME have completed work on their new album. According to an online posting by KINGDOM COME's webmaster Marko Wolf (brother of KINGDOM COME mainman Lenny Wolf), "It looks like that all label and distribution issues are sorted out soon, so that the release time can be set to February 2009. Didn't think I would live long enough to see it happening, but Lenny actually sung a duet with a woman! Even I don't know who that is. All I know is that he's still single."

      Fan-filmed video footage of KINGDOM COME' July 11, 2008 performance at the Rocklahoma festival in Pryor, Oklahoma can be viewed below (clips uploaded by YouTube user "zztopeurope2007").

      KINGDOM COME's latest studio album, "Ain't Crying for the Moon", was released in Europe on October 20, 2006 via Frontiers Records.

      Funeral services for British drummer Michael Lee (ROBERT PLANT, LENNY KRAVITZ, THIN LIZZY, THE CULT, LITTLE ANGELS, THE QUIREBOYS) will be held on Wednesday, December 3 at 10:45 a.m. at Darlington Crematorium in Darlington, England. All flowers and cards can be sent to:

      John Meynell Funeral Service
      150 North Road
      Darlington
      County Durham, DL1 2EJ
      United Kingdom

      Daniel Stanton of Coallier Entertainment, which has worked with THIN LIZZY in the past, said in a statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, "The results of post mortem was a seizure, apparently the worst one he could have had.

      "Michael passed away at his flat (home) in Darlington. He was found at his home by his friend and police on the floor beside his bed.

      "Michael was out the night before [he died]. He said he wasn't feeling well and went home to rest it off. When he didn't answer his phone the next morning, a friend had the police enter his home.

      "Michael will sadly be missed.

      "I have received endless calls from fans, friends and family members surrounding Michael's death.

      "The guys in THIN LIZZY are crushed, I have spoken to people in the Robert Plant camp who have also expressed the same. Spike from the London QUIREBOYS has been dedicating their shows each night to Michael. Dave Ling from Classic Rock magazine is said to be doing a feature on Michael Lee in an upcoming issue.

      "We will all miss Michael. His boyish smile, his humor, his love and his talent, [but] most of all, we will miss his friendship.

      "Michael died way too young. He shares his death with Freddie Mercury of QUEEN and drummer Eric Carr of KISS who also passed away on the same date.

      "We love you, Michael. You are forever in our hearts and your music forever in our souls."

      Michael Lee was born Michael Gary Pearson on November 19, 1969. He landed a gig in Robert Plant's solo band in time for 1993's "Fate of Nations" album and stayed with the LED ZEPPELIN singer when he reunited with Jimmy Page in 1994. The drummer toured extensively with the ZEPPELIN duo and appears on both PAGE & PLANT's official albums: 1994's "No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded" and 1998's "Walking into Clarksdale".

      KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons has told Jane Stevenson of Canada's Sun Media that the veteran glam rockers are writing songs for a new album that he expects they will record next year and release next summer. KISS singer/guitarist Paul Stanley will produce the disc. The band will follow the album's release with a limited tour.

      "We'll do a handful of shows just to keep in the game (next) summer, maybe 10 (dates), some Canadian shows," Simmons told the Sun Media. "I know Halifax is one, but before you get out there and start the baseball season, they hold exhibition games, that's what we're doing. 'Cause once we go out, it's going to be for a year and a half."

      As for rumblings of a co-headlining tour with QUEEN, Simmons said, "Oh, I've heard that, but we don't know until it's real. I would be happy to step up on that stage. I'd (also) love to step up on a stage with the STONES.

      GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", has registered the following first-week chart positions so far (Note: The album wasn't available a full week in most of these territories when the charts were compiled):

      Canada: #1
      Finland: #1
      Ireland: #3
      Netherlands: #4
      Sweden: #4
      Spain: #12

      Early U.S. sales reports suggest that "Chinese Democracy", which was released through an exclusive deal with the Best Buy chain, might not be the blockbuster the industry had hoped for, according to The New York Times. Sales figures will not be available until next week, but early estimates put the first-week total at 300,000 copies (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes on November 23 not counted towards the opening week for the Sunday release) — roughly 50,000 more than the opening number registered by "Contraband", the 2004 debut from VELVET REVOLVER, which features in its ranks Rose's former GUNS N' ROSES bandmates Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. KANYE WEST's new album, "808s and Heartbreak", will be No. 1 on next week's Billboard chart with a total that looks to be between 450,000 and 500,000.

      GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", has registered the following first-week chart positions so far (Note: The album wasn't available a full week in many of these territories when the charts were compiled):

      Brazil: #1
      Finland: #1
      New Zealand: #2
      UK: #2
      Australia: #3
      Ireland: #3
      Japan: #3
      Norway: #3
      Hungary: #4
      Netherlands: #4
      Sweden: #4
      Denmark: #7
      Spain: #12

      Early U.S. sales reports suggest that "Chinese Democracy", which was released through an exclusive deal with the Best Buy chain, might not be the blockbuster the industry had hoped for, according to The New York Times. Sales figures will not be available until Wednesday (December 3), but early estimates put the first-week total at 300,000 copies (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes on November 23 not counted towards the opening week for the Sunday release) — roughly 50,000 more than the opening number registered by "Contraband", the 2004 debut from VELVET REVOLVER, which features in its ranks Rose's former GUNS N' ROSES bandmates Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. KANYE WEST's new album, "808s and Heartbreak", will be No. 1 on next week's Billboard chart with a total that looks to be between 450,000 and 500,000.

      According to Undercover News, GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy" managed to sell "only" 20,790 copies in Australia in its first full week of release — a number that wasn't enough to topple stalwarts PINK and KINGS OF LEON. Even if you include "Chinese Democracy"'s first-day sales of 3,454 (sold before the album's official release date), the tally for GN'R's latest effort is less than last week's sales for PINK's "Funhouse" (27,184) and KINGS OF LEON's "Only By The Night" (24,579).

      "Chinese Democracy" first-week chart positions so far (Note: The album wasn't available a full week in many of these territories when the charts were compiled):

      Brazil: #1
      Finland: #1
      New Zealand: #2
      UK: #2
      Australia: #3
      Ireland: #3
      Japan: #3
      Norway: #3
      Hungary: #4
      Netherlands: #4
      Sweden: #4
      Denmark: #7
      Spain: #12

      According to the web site of the Key Club in Hollywood, California, ADLER'S APPETITE — the band led by former GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler — will perform at the venue on January 17, 2009.

      Guitarist Alex Grossi (QUIET RIOT, BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, HOOKERS 'N' BLOW) announced last weekend that has joined the revamped ADLER'S APPETITE. "The new lineup is a kick-ass one and I can't wait to get out there and play with these guys," Grossi said in a statement. "Tour dates and details to follow in the coming weeks."

      ADLER'S APPETITE commemorated the 20th anniversary of GNR's classic debut "Appetite for Destruction" last year by touring South America. However, Adler was forced to cancel a European tour with the band due to "personal issues."

      Adler pleaded no contest on November 14 to a heroin possession charge in the hopes of avoiding jail time by entering a treatment program, according to Reuters.

      Adler is scheduled to appear in court on December 12 to determine if he is eligible for drug treatment instead of jail.

      Adler was arrested in Los Angeles on July 18, after someone called police to report he was causing a disturbance.

      He appeared this year on the reality television show "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" during an earlier attempt to get off drugs.

      The other members of GUNS N' ROSES band threw Adler out in 1989, saying his drug use was harming his performance. In 1993, the band agreed to pay him $2.3 million to settle Adler's lawsuit claiming a 1990 agreement by which he gave up his interest in the band was read to him and signed without his attorney present.

      AskMen.com recently conducted an interview with KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      AskMen.com: Can fans look forward to new KISS material in the near future?

      Stanley: Actually, it looks like we'll be going in the studio shortly to do the first new KISS album in 10 years. It's going to be very much a vintage, classic, '70s KISS album without much regard to what's happened since then; it's back to the roots.

      AskMen.com: Back in the '80s, a decision was made in order to respect the fans that Vinnie [Vincent] and [Eric] Carr would have to wear new face makeup; why was the decision made to allow [Eric] Singer and [Tommy] Thayer to wear the makeup of original members?

      Stanley: It wasn't to respect the fans; it was a misstep, if anything. The idea that we should dilute the four icons, which are world-known (not by name, but by character) and come up with like "Frog Man" or "Turtle Boy" was a big misstep. Those iconic figures are known worldwide; you show anybody in the world a photo of KISS and they'll tell you it's KISS. So, it just sold everybody short to think that when somebody left the band that they should take those characters with them. In a sense, we all created each others' characters because it was the four of us together and the synergy between the four of us that made those characters. Could we have done it on our own? I don't think so. It was all of us together that came up with it.

      AskMen.com: Is there any truth to the rumors about a "Kiss II" reality show?

      Stanley: It's kind of gotten distorted into something that it really isn't. The idea that some guys are going to take our place and we're going to go home is never going to happen. Really, what it was and remains is the idea that Gene and I have created and nurtured something for 35 years… [and] as successful and consistent as we've been kind of makes people wonder what it would be like if we put together another band and gave [them] that experience. It's much closer to that.

      ShockTillYouDrop.com reports that filming began in Toronto this week on Rob Stefaniuk's vampire horror-comedy "Suck". The production boasts an impressive cast of rockers like Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Moby, Henry Rollins, Alex Lifeson, Dimitri Coates and Carol Pope. Even Cooper's daughter, Calico, has jumped on board.

      Written and directed by Stefaniuk, "Suck" is about a group of musical wannabees in search of immortality and a record deal. The rock band THE WINNERS have sunk so low, they will do anything to make it big. After a life-changing encounter with a vampire, they rocket to stardom only to discover that fame and fortune are not all they’re cracked up to be.

      According to U.K.'s Kerrang! magazine, industry insiders suggest that hugely infuential '90s alt-metal band FAITH NO MORE is planning to return next year. Kerrang! understands that a number of U.K. venues have been placed on hold for shows from the band next spring, while U.K. festival appearances are rumored to follow in the summer. Founding bassist Bill Gould played down the speculation, telling Kerrang! "If anything like this were to happen, it would have to come from the band, and I haven't spoken with any of them in over a year. So as far as I know, there isn't anything to talk about, and I'm pretty sure that if you were to contact [Mike] Patton [vocals], he would tell you the same thing."

      Despite several years of vigorously denying claims the band would reform, Mike Patton seems to have softened in recent months. In an interview with the Artisan News Service in January, he said "I wouldn't rule it out. I don't think we need to reform the band, but maybe there's other things we could do together."

      José Carlos Santos of UK's Terrorizer magazine recently conducted an interview with vocalist Peter Dolving of the Swedish metal band THE HAUNTED. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

      On his online rants which generated a strong reaction when they were picked up and re-posted by BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

      "There's a reason for there not having been any posts there recently. Whoever was posting my personal blogs on Blabbermouth has obviously stopped doing it. . . I'm relieved, actually. I was never writing for Blabbermouth, I was writing for me, and those posts were on my MySpace page. It's kind of a paradox, because now our record company in the U.S. [Century Media] is using my blogs for promotion and I wasn't really ready for that. They're my stuff and it has nothing to do with the band. In a way I'm happy that they found something worthy and of interest in there, but I wasn't ready for them to become some kind of commercial tool; that feels really weird. The company [MySpace] is owned by Rupert fucking Murdoch! I'm an anarchist in a metal abnd and what I write is being used to promote Rupert Murdoch!"

      On not being afraid to use his voice:

      "I write continuously. As we start working on ideas for songs, I listen to the material a lot and I look to what it wakes in me. From then on, it's trying to decipher the emotions that come out of music, trying to describe them and make them fit with the music. It takes a lot of time and a lot of work, and it might be painful. You have to go to places where you might not want to go. But that's okay. One of the benefits about it is that I can learn more about myself. It's more than a verbal expression, it's an emotional expression too. Every musician has an emotional expression, no doubt about it, but as a vocalist you get to do it through the use of your own body. It gives you a stronger emotional connection between what you're performing and what it means to you. In that sense, it's more rewarding, but it's also harder at times."

      On the mixed reception THE HAUNTED's last album, "The Dead Eye", received:

      "'The Dead Eye' was a lot more introspective than anything we've done. It was less communicative in some ways, but it was a very necessary record to make. It was funny, because it was a record that pissed a lot of people off. That's the sign of a good record: people reacted to it! When you do this, music as art, when you choose to do metal instead of something more commercial in a more traditional way, that's what it's supposed to do. That album was a kind of statement in its own right. A lot of metal bands have no intention of provoking people, of treading new ground, and there's a kind of passive and comfortable attitude. It's kind of sad, really. If we look back a couple of years, this was the music that told people to fuck off. We had our own kind of language and attitude; it was a lifestyle. Even if we listened to different things too, we metalheads had this kind of common language and things that we enjoyed together. But somewhere along the way,
      this orthdox, conformist bullshit got in the way. That's not metal!"

      On having that token "cursed" album in THE HAUNTED's discography that is actually great but has the uncool reputation:

      "I was talking to Robb Flynn from MACHINE HEAD about that — they've done some similar things and gotten poor reviews — and we agreed that negativity spreads. If a few people out of thousands go, 'That sucks!', and it's fun to say that something sucks, it catches. Then, suddenly, all these people who haven't paid any kind of attention to what you've created are all saying the same thing. The disappointment [we felt] was towards the attitude. We knew that we'd created something that was really great, and we're still getting great feedback from it. It's dense, and it grows on you, so it was kind of disappointing that it ran into that kind of dumbed-down, unintelligent approach of people to music."

      PORTRAIT, ENFORCER and STONE VENGEANCE are among the confirmed bands for the Fist Held High Festival, set to take place February 21, 2009 at B-Hof in Würzburg, Germany.

      The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

      PORTRAIT (SWE)
      ENFORCER (SWE)
      STONE VENGEANCE (USA)
      ETRUSGRAVE (ITA)
      CONQUEST OF STEEL (UK)
      ASSEDIUM (ITA)

      For more information, visit www.myspace.com/fistheldhighfestival.

      Swedish sleaze rockers BACKYARD BABIES will support DANKO JONES on the following dates:

      Mar. 20 - Vienna, Austria - Flex
      Mar. 21 - Zurich, Switzerland - Mascotte
      Mar. 22 - Luzen, Switzerland - Schuur
      Mar. 26 - Ghent, Belgium - Handelbeurs

      The latest, self-titled album from BACKYARD BABIES topped the chart in the band's home country in its first week of release. The CD also entered the Finnish album chart at No. 31.

      Released in Europe on August 18 via Billion Dollar Babies/Spinefarm, "Backyard Babies" was recorded during 90 sweaty days and nights at Polar and Big Island Sound studios in Stockholm with producer Jacob Hellner (RAMMSTEIN, APOCALYPTICA).

      BACKYARD BABIES released its fifth studio full-length album, "People Like People Like People Like Us", in April 2006 via Century Media Records.

      Reunited Swedish punk rock pioneers NO FUN AT ALL will play a free show at Mega Skivakademin (Sergels Torg) in Stockholm, Sweden on Saturday, December 6 at 3:00 p.m. to celebrate the release of their brand new album, "Low Rider". Fans attending the event will have an opportunity to buy the new CD and get a free t-shirt as a special Christmas gift.

      NO FUN AT ALL is credited with having shaped European punk in the 1990s along with SATANIC SURFERS, MILLENCOLIN and RANDY. The group split up in 2001 after releasing its "slowest" album, "State of Flow", which was not very well received by the fans.

      NO FUN AT ALL is:

      Krister Johansson - Lead Guitar
      Ingemar Jansson - Vocals
      Kjell Ramstedt - Drums