Tons of Metal NEWS

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2008
      According to ContactMusic.com, Robert Plant has not ruled out another
      reunion
      with his band LED ZEPPELIN â€" insisting it's the bureaucracy involved
      that puts
      him off the idea. The band has been dogged by rumors of a world tour
      since they
      reformed for a one-off gig in London last year â€" its first concert in 19
      years. But Plant, who is currently touring with bluegrass star Alison
      Krauss,
      has so far refused to agree to hit the road with the legendary group
      again.

      He tells Britain's GQ magazine: "The endless paperwork was like
      nothing I've
      experienced before. I've kept every one of the e-mails that were exchanged
      before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book,
      which I feel
      sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of SPINAL TAP
      (semi-fictional
      heavy metal band featured in spoof documentary 'This Is Spinal Tap'). LED
      ZEPPELIN's never been about the fans. We've always been about four
      guys coming
      together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms."

      According to a posting on the Deep Purple Appreciation Society web
      site, DEEP
      PURPLE singer Ian Gillan reportedly told the crowd at a recent London
      show that
      PURPLE will return for a UK tour next year. However, backstage he
      apparently
      went further according to a reporter from Classic Rock magazine, who says,
      "After the show Gillan griped to Classic Rock about the heavy security
      out front
      and the consequent lack of connection with the audience. As a result,
      the singer
      revealed, PURPLE's British tour next year will be in intimate theatres
      rather
      than impersonal arenas."

      DEEP PURPLE guitarist Steve Morse is one of the musicians featured on
      the "We
      Wish You A Metal Christmas and a Headbanging New Year" album, due in
      the U.S. on
      October 14 via Amoury Records and Black Ion Music. The CD features
      hard rock and
      heavy metal's finest giving their own unique twist to Christmas
      classics old and
      new. Also appearing on the album are Alice Cooper, Lemmy Kilmister,
      Ronnie James
      Dio, Dave Grohl, Billy Gibbons, Tony Iommi and more.

      Ozzy Osbourne's son Jack has commented further on the upcoming
      documentary film
      which he is executive-producing on Ozzy along with Jack's mother, Sharon
      Osbourne, Ozzy's longtime manager.

      The film, which is being directed by Mike Piscitelli, and written and
      produced
      by Jordan Tappis, will be the first release from Jacko Productions,
      according to
      Variety.com.

      "[MTV's 'The Osbournes' reality TV show] couldn't show the darkness
      and so they
      used all the goofy things, but that's not really who he was at the
      time," Jack
      Osbourne said. "Dad has been sober for three years, and I've never
      seen him more
      focused, honest and straight-up. He refuses to do a book, because he's
      terribly
      dyslexic, can't write and doesn't want a ghostwriter, so I thought,
      why not make
      this his talking book?"

      Jack added, "I want people to see John Osbourne as the guy I grew up
      with, the
      tormented, complex musician whose personal demons manifest themselves
      in so many
      crazy, unique ways. He’s agreed to it but is putting up his guard,
      massively
      afraid of putting his true self out there on display for people to see."
      Legendary rock drummer Simon Wright (DIO, AC/DC, RHINO BUCKET) has
      issued the
      following update:

      "I have just returned from playing five shows for the troops and
      allied forces
      in Iraq. They are incredible individuals doing a very difficult job
      trying to
      bring stability to that region, they go months on end without the
      luxury of live
      entertainment. I know I speak for all of us in saying it was an honor
      and a
      pleasure to rock out with them.

      "The band was called BIG NOIZE â€" Joe Lynn Turner, vocals, from
      RAINBOW/DEEP
      PURPLE; Carlos Cavazo, guitar, from QUIET RIOT; Phil Soussan, bass, from
      OZZY/JIMMY PAGE; Alex Bubenheim, keys; and myself on drums.

      "It was an experiance I will never forget.

      "To the troops and allied forces, God Bless you. You are all doing a
      great job.
      Be safe.

      "In August i had the opportunity to play two tracks on the heavy metal
      Christmas
      CD ['We Wish You A Metal Christmas and a Headbanging New Year']
      featuring a
      whole host of brilliant musicians and singers, too many too mention.
      [It] turned
      out great! And also I had the pleasure of recording with Tim 'Ripper'
      Owens from
      JUDAS PRIEST for his new solo CD, hich also turned out great. And
      we're still
      working the mix on the new RHINO BUCKET CD, which is gonna rock.

      "So it's been a hectic couple of months and I'm loving every minute of
      it."

      Guitarist "Metal" Mike Chlasciak (HALFORD, PAINMUSEUM, SEBASTIAN BACH) has
      issued the following update:

      "The time has finally come for the massive HALFORD 'Resurrection World
      Tour -
      Live At Rock In Rio III' DVD package to be unleashed. I still remember the
      smoke, the energy and the passion of over 250,000 metal maniacs that
      greeted us
      in Brazil that one special night. Yep, it's the stuff any kid's heavy
      metal
      dreams are made of.

      "With that said, there are going to be some exciting activities
      happening in New
      York City where the HALFORD 'Rock In Rio' DVD will premiere during the
      New York
      International Independent Video and Film Festival (NYIIVFF).

      "I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the premieres taking place
      September
      22 and 23rd at Village East Cinemas in New York City. To start of the
      festivities right I'll also be attending the New York International
      Independent
      Video and Film Festival opening night celebration on September 18th at the
      Mansion in New York City."
      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2865008911_f09965f478.jpg
      According to Billboard.com, METALLICA's new "Death Magnetic" is
      projected to
      have sold in the neighborhood of 450,000-500,000 copies in the U.S. in
      its first
      three days of release (Friday-Sunday), with one unpredictable variable
      being a
      ticket/album bundle offered by Ticketmaster. The album was also
      packaged with
      "Guitar Hero" at Best Buy, sold through "Guitar Hero" platforms Xbox and
      Playstation and packaged with a METALLICA-branded set of headphones by
      Skull
      Candy.

      "Death Magnetic", which received its official worldwide release Friday
      (September 12), was sold for $5 at Hot Topic retail stores for that
      day only. In
      addition, the store was offering a METALLICA T-shirt for the same price.

      Traditionally, record labels release new albums in the U.S. on Tuesdays.
      However, METALLICA opted to make "Death Magnetic" available to the
      band's fans
      around the world on the same day.

      METALLICA's last CD, "St. Anger", also had an unusual release date
      after Elektra
      Records decided to move up its release to Thursday, June 5, 2003 from
      Tuesday,
      June 10, 2003 "to ensure that counterfeit copies of the band's first
      studio
      album in six years do not proliferate in the marketplace," the label
      said at the
      time.

      "St. Anger" sold 363,000 copies in its first full week of release to
      land at No.
      2 on The Billboard 200 chart. The album shifted 418,000 copies in the
      U.S. in
      its first, shortened week on the streets.

      METALLICA's "Re-Load" album sold 435,000 units during its first week
      in 1997,
      while 1996's "Load" opened at 680,000. 1991's self-titled "black
      album" debuted
      with 598,000 and has since gone on to sell more than 15.2 million
      copies in the
      U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.
      METALLICA played a fan club-only show earlier tonight (Monday,
      September 15) at
      the 02 Arena in London, England.

      The group's setlist was as follows:

      01. That Was Just Your Life
      02. The End Of The Line
      03. The Thing That Should Not Be
      04. Of Wolf And Man
      05. One
      06. Broken, Beat And Scarred
      07. Cyanide
      08. Frantic
      09. Until It Sleeps
      10. Wherever I May Roam
      11. For Whom The Bell Tolls
      12. The Day That Never Comes
      13. Master Of Puppets
      14. Blackened
      - - - - - - - -
      15. Stone Cold Crazy
      16. Jump In The Fire
      17. Seek and Destroy

      On Tuesday (September 16), the band will record a short set for the UK
      late-night show "Later... With Jools Holland", to be broadcast Friday.

      METALLICA's new album, "Death Magnetic", is on track to sell 500,000
      copies in
      the U.S. in its first, shortened week of release, according to Hits Daily
      Double. The CD was released worldwide on Friday (September 12),
      although almost
      all albums are issued in the U.S. on Tuesdays. The group's last studio
      effort,
      2003's "St. Anger", was pushed up to a Thursday, June 5 release from its
      original arrival date of June 10 to combat Internet leaks. The record
      ended up
      selling 418,000 copies in that short release window, adding another
      363,000 in
      its first full week on shelves.

      Meanwhile, fans who purchased a special box set edition of "Death
      Magnetic" in
      the UK must have been surprised to find it missing one thing: the CD
      itself.
      Many of the boxes, which were priced at the British equivalent of
      $124.99, were
      also missing a limited edition lithograph, according to Undercover
      News. North
      American editions of the release were not affected.

      New Zealand's 3 News has posted video footage of METALLICA talking to
      the media
      in Berlin this past Friday, September 12 prior to the band's "Death
      Magnetic"
      record-release concert at O2 World.

      Regarding how the making of "Death Magnetic" was different from what
      happened
      during the filming of the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary, drummer Lars
      Ulrich said, "It was just the four of us, there was no nine-camera
      film crew,
      there was no psychiatrist over in the corner, there was no hand-helding
      producer, there was just a bunch of guys of a rock band hanging out in
      the same
      space together having fun."

      He continued, "It's pretty much been that kind of vibe for the last
      couple of
      years, it's been really good, solid, everybody's kind of having fun.
      And it
      seems that everything that went on in that movie even though it's six,
      seven
      years ago it seems like longer, it's seems like a lifetime ago."

      Regarding the songwriting process for "Death Magnetic", bassist Robert
      Trujillo
      said, "The creative side is super-strong. I mean, most bands that have
      been
      around twenty years plus, you know, they start to lose their creative
      side, and
      they're mostly banking on the catalog, so to speak. But the great
      thing about
      METALLICA now is that there's still...I feel that there is a lot to
      offer for
      the future, I don't think we're not going away that quick. Me might be in
      wheelchairs though."

      RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with METALLICA
      guitarist Kirk
      Hammett. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

      RollingStone.com: Was there a point when you realized you were a rock
      star?

      Kirk: It was probably the "Black Album" tour, when thing started to
      get really
      crazy. We would go to social events, and Ozzy would come up to us â€"
      "Hello!"
      Or we'd get a message â€" "Tony Iommi is here. He wants to say hello."
      If our
      heroes, the people we were so inspired by, are interested in us now,
      we might
      have crossed a line somewhere. We had reached a level, in musicianship, in
      respectability. It was a powerful feeling.

      RollingStone.com: Did it also make you realize that your friend was
      right â€"
      rock stars are normal too?

      Kirk: There came a time when you started feeling comfortable with
      them, and
      realizing, yeah, they have the same mechanics as every other human
      being in the
      world. Just because they played that fantastic guitar solo in 1978
      does not make
      them non-human. I hope that carries on to people when they meet me.
      I'm always
      uncomfortable when people start bowing. I'm waiting to shake their
      hand, and
      they do that. Just shake my hand! [Laughs]

      RollingStone.com: How much do you think you need to be in METALLICA
      â€" that
      there is nothing else you can or want to do? During the making of "St.
      Anger",
      when it was clear the engine was not turning over, were you able to
      accept the
      fact that nothing lasts forever?

      Kirk: Honestly, I was ready to start working on a solo album. I had a
      bunch of
      music I was sitting on. I was going to ask Lars to play drums on it.
      But to get
      to the real meat of the question . . .

      RollingStone.com: The need to be in this band.

      Kirk: It's really important. I've been in the band longer than I
      haven't been. I
      joined the band when I was 20 years old. I've been in the band now 25
      years.
      RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with METALLICA
      guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

      RollingStone.com: You have been in METALLICA for your entire adult
      life. Have
      you ever felt restricted?

      James: I made myself feel restricted: "I'm tired of arguing. I'm not
      gonna argue
      for another five hours about something little and stupid. You win.
      This is Lars'
      band. When I'm able to be me, it'll be the side project, the solo
      thing." Which
      is just ridiculous. Every band that I've known that has done side
      projects or
      things like that â€" I don't respect them anymore.

      RollingStone.com: There are very strict parameters to life in
      METALLICA. It's
      like joining the Army.

      James: The metal militia, dude! We've all discovered there is freedom
      through
      structure. There has to be some structure in my life, at least. I
      think Lars has
      discovered that a lot. You could look at Jason [Newsted] as the
      sacrificial
      lamb. I didn't want him doing 12 side projects: "You're in METALLICA."
      But it
      was so unconnected when he left [in 2001], so compartmentalized. But now,
      METALLICA is the four of us. This is our solo project. This is the
      best way to
      get our emotions and feelings out and touch people.

      RollingStone.com: Was there a clear leader in the beginning? You or Lars?

      James: There were leaders in different ways. There's no doubt Lars was the
      spearhead of wanting to get a band together. But I was the same, and
      we joined
      forces. Lars had the name. I had the logo. He was more the business
      guy, the
      thinker. I'm much less of a thinker. And there was his personality,
      the only
      child growing up in a pretty well-off family.

      RollingStone.com: A well-off bohemian family.

      James: Yeah, getting to do what he wants, anytime, anywhere. The
      negative side
      of that, somewhat obvious â€" spoiledness. But the positive side of
      that is he
      can get it done. He has the faith he can get it done. There are times
      when I
      think all of us follow his energy. There's fear at times. I can see it
      in him,
      when he feels like he's not getting his way. We always revert to our
      teenage
      years [laughs].

      RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with METALLICA
      drummer Lars
      Ulrich. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

      RollingStone.com: Which is better â€" traveling to METALLICA shows
      with your
      family or the way you used to do it with the band? Four on the bus,
      like a fist.

      Lars: The four fists on the bus, one fist and four beers on the bus
      [laughs] â€"
      that was a lot of fun. But if you're going to do this in the prime
      years of your
      family life, when you're rearing the kids, then basing becomes the way
      to solve
      it. Park yourself in a city â€" Copenhagen, London, Paris. You hop in
      and out.
      It may not be the most cost-effective way of touring. But big picture
      â€" it's
      the way of keeping everybody sustained. Everybody gets their elbow
      room. What
      you don't need is a party policy, where people are dictated to, what
      they can or
      can't do. That's not going to make it fun. It's not going to give
      people what
      they need to administer their own survival skills, to get through this
      insanity.

      RollingStone.com: Is there a price that comes with that? The unity of
      the band?

      Lars: To me, it has to start with getting along. If we don't get along,
      everything else is irrelevant. If you've got four guys that are
      content, who get
      along, everything else will happen automatically. When we come to
      Europe every
      year, it's basically what we call Summer Vacation. Bring the families,
      park
      ourselves, play gigs. Where else would you rather be than western European
      capitals in the summer? Playing festivals with great bands, cool
      vibes, the long
      days? This is fucking paradise.

      I don't take any of this shit for granted. There are no absolutes in
      my life. I
      don't think in black and white. I think in grays. Who knows where it's
      gonna go?
      But for right now, this works. It works for the family. It works for
      the band.
      And I don't think there's ever been a better internal vibe in this
      band. And the
      place where that shows and makes a difference â€" those two hours onstage.
      Because the reports I'm hearing from the people I trust â€" there's
      more fire,
      more spunk, more in-your-face-ness. Somehow, through the bloat of the
      Nineties,
      the excess, it's gotten back to being on fire again. Maybe it shouldn't be
      overanalyzed. If people are content, with themselves and their
      families and each
      other, then it shows in those two hours onstage.
      RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with METALLICA
      bassist Robert
      Trujillo. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

      RollingStone.com: You joined METALLICA in February, 2003. How much did
      you know
      about the dynamics within the band at the time?

      Robert: They were in the middle of a bunch of transitional things.
      They were
      recording the album ["St. Anger"], still doing tracking and mixing,
      and also
      trying to find a new bass player. I received a phone call. I was in
      Tahiti on
      vacation. I checked my voice mail, and I had Lars and Kirk on there.
      Lars was in
      the background: "Join our band!" They were probably out on the town,
      having a
      few cocktails, calling all the bass players on their list.

      RollingStone.com: Do you know how you got on that list?

      Robert: I'm not 100 percent sure. I think it was a combination of
      things. One
      was I toured with METALLICA, with SUICIDAL TENDENCIES. That's where I
      originally
      met everybody. And less than a year prior to me receiving the call, a
      mutual
      friend of Kirk's called and said, "Kirk and I are coming down with
      some friends.
      Can you show us some surf spots around L.A.?" I thought that was neat:
      that
      Kirk, the vampire I knew, the nocturnal man, was ready to explore
      daylight and
      surfing in Southern California. He was in an RV with three friends. We
      spent a
      weekend hitting different spots.

      The whole thing, at least from what I understand, was they each had
      people they
      wanted to bring into the auditions. I became Kirk's guy. From my
      understanding,
      Lars wasn't aware of much that I had done. [In addition to playing
      with SUICIDAL
      TENDENCIES, Trujillo toured and recorded with OZZY OSBOURNE and worked
      with
      ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell.] I don't know where James'
      head was
      at.

      According to Billboard.com, METALLICA is the first group to see five
      of its
      albums bow at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. Previously, the act was tied
      with THE
      BEATLES, U2 and the DAVE MATTHEWS BAND, with four each. The group's
      latest LP,
      "Death Magnetic", which sold nearly half a million copies in the
      United States
      in just a three-day sales window, is also METALLICA's fifth
      consecutive studio
      album to debut at No. 1 and its seventh release to start with more
      than 300,000
      since 1991, when Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data.

      The band's first studio album since 2003 moved 490,000 copies in its
      abbreviated
      frame, scheduled off-cycle on a Friday to accommodate a worldwide
      release date.

[...]

      METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has told the UK's Daily Star newspaper
      that his
      one remaining ambition is for the band to perform on the same bill as U2.

      Despite appearing alongside some of the biggest names in music
      â€"including DEEP
      PURPLE, THE ROLLING STONES, IRON MAIDEN and AC/DC â€" METALLICA has
      yet to share
      the stage with the Irish band.

      "I'll play at one in the afternoon, in a parking lot in Ireland, I
      don't give a
      shit. As long as I can do that," he told the Daily Star.

      Ulrich also spoke about the buzz aurrounding the band's new album 'Death
      Magnetic", which topped the U.S. chart afer selling a half million
      copies in the
      first three days alone.

      "A lot of crazy and fun things are happening one after the other in
      our lives
      right now," he said. "Whenever METALLICA does anything, even when we
      get out of
      bed in the morning, something seems to happen in the wake of it. But
      it seems
      people are responding well to the new album. It's our most positively
      received
      album since probably 1991's Black album. It's a good time to be in
      METALLICA and
      it's still a buzz."
      MEGADETH drummer Shawn Drover has issued the following update:

      "So I'm down here in San Diego at [MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine's] new
      recording studio that is getting closer to being 100% operative. I am
      helping
      out with getting certain things a bit more 'cosmetically appealing,'
      shall we
      say. Things are really taking shape now, and I think we should be
      ready to go
      here in the next few weeks or so, which for me is good â€" it's been
      fun having
      the summer off, but it's time to get back at it, if you ask me."

      Dave Mustaine revealed in a recent online posting that acclaimed British
      producer Andy Sneap (NEVERMORE, EXODUS, ARCH ENEMY, MACHINE HEAD) was
      to fly
      over to Southern California on September 8 to "tweak some last-minute
      stuff" at
      Mustaine's new recording studio before returning again at the end of
      the month,
      presumably to helm the recording sessions for the group's new album.

      Sneap produced MEGADETH's last album, "United Abominations", which
      came out in
      May 2007 via Roadrunner Records. Mustaine previously stated about
      working with
      Andy, "We'd been working with Jeff Balding, who does a great job. But
      we knew we
      needed something else to give the material that extra push, so we
      brought in
      Andy. It was cool because he isn't like some big rock-star producer.
      He was just
      another Joe to me. So we were trading jokes and laughing and it was
      fun. My
      sense of humour is pretty close to a British one, so we worked well
      together.
      Also, Andy told me I was the reason that he got into playing metal in
      the first
      place, which was really flattering."
      MEGADETH's forthcoming album will be the group's first with guitarist
      Chris
      Broderick (NEVERMORE, JAG PANZER), who replaced Glen Drover at the end
      of last
      year.

      Rock N Roll Experience recently conducted an interview with TROUBLE
      guitarist
      Rick Wartell. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

      Rock N Roll Experience: Are you going to record a new TROUBLE record
      with [the
      band's new frontman] Kory [Clarke of WARRIOR SOUL] singing?

      Rick: "Yes...we started writing and we've got eight or nine songs
      written and
      we're going to begin recording as soon as we get home from this East
      Coast leg
      and we are going to start piecing it together, so, YES!"

      Rock N Roll Experience: What kinda direction is the new music going in?

      Rick: "I know people have said this a million times and I know you've
      heard this
      a million times, but it's pretty fucking heavy, let's put it that way!
      The music
      end of it that Bruce [Franklin, guitar] and I are writing is getting
      heavier and
      heavier...it's getting heavier and then we want Kory to incorporate
      his style to
      what we are doing, that's basically all that we really want out of this."

      Rock N Roll Experience: Would TROUBLE ever play a WARRIOR SOUL cover
      in the live
      set?

      Rick: "I wanted to, I wanted to do 'We Cry Out', but everyone was
      going, no, no,
      no, but WARRIOR SOUL is still together, so it wouldn't be right to do
      that. If
      there was no WARRIOR SOUL, then it would be cool, they are going to go out
      touring and they are putting out a record, if they were completely
      done, then we
      would definitely do one or two songs."

      Rock N Roll Experience: Have you heard the new METALLICA "Death
      Magnetic" record
      yet?

      Rick: "I only heard one song from it and so far it's cool, I mean, I was a
      little bit disappointed with the crunch on the guitars, but I do kinda
      understand why, because Rick Rubin had his hand on it, so we've had that
      experience already, I'm not saying Rick Rubin doesn't know what he's
      doing, but
      he has his way of doing things and that's pretty much how he is, but
      I'm sure
      it's gonna do really, really well and they put a lot of time into it
      and from
      what I saw of this one particular song, I don't know the name of it,
      but there
      was a lot of the old style and it sounded like to me, they just went
      out and
      jammed again instead of listening to what everyone was telling them
      what to do
      and they finally went, no, this is us, take it or leave it and that's
      pretty
      much my opinion as an artist, on what you should be doing."
      LONDON (AP) â€" Richard Wright, a founding member of the rock group
      Pink Floyd,
      died Monday. He was 65.
      Pink Floyd's spokesman Doug Wright, who is not related to the artist, said
      Wright died after a battle with cancer at his home in Britain. He says
      the band
      member's family did not want to give more details about his death.
      Wright met Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Nick Mason in college
      and joined
      their early band, Sigma 6. Along with the late Syd Barrett, the four
      formed Pink
      Floyd in 1965.
      The group's jazz-infused rock and drug-laced multimedia "happenings"
      made them
      darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and their 1967 album, "The
      Piper at
      the Gates of Dawn," was a hit.
      In the early days of Pink Floyd, Wright, along with Barrett, was seen
      as the
      group's dominant musical force. The London-born musician and son of a
      biochemist
      wrote songs and sang.
      The band released a series of commercially and critically successful
      albums
      including 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon," which has sold more than 40
      million
      copies. Wright wrote "The Great Gig In The Sky" and "Us And Them" for that
      album, and later worked on the group's epic compositions such as "Atom
      Heart
      Mother," "Echoes" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."
      But tensions grew between Waters, Wright and fellow band member David
      Gilmour.
      The tensions came to a head during the making of "The Wall" when
      Waters insisted
      Wright be fired. As a result, Wright was relegated to the status of
      session
      musician on the tour of "The Wall," and did not perform on Pink
      Floyd's 1983
      album "The Final Cut."
      Wright formed a new band Zee with Dave Harris, from the band Fashion, and
      released one album, "Identity," with Atlantic Records.
      Waters left Pink Floyd in 1985 and Wright began recording with Mason
      and Gilmour
      again, releasing the albums "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of
      Reason" as Pink Floyd. Wright also released the solo albums "Wet
      Dream" (1978)
      and "Broken China" (1996).
      In July 2005, Wright, Waters, Mason and Gilmour reunited to perform at
      the "Live
      8" charity concert in London â€" the first time in 25 years they had been
      onstage together.
      Wright also worked on Gilmour's solo projects, most recently playing
      on the 2006
      album "On An Island" and the accompanying world tour.
      Veteran punk drummer Joel Gausten (ELECTRIC FRANKENSTEIN, PIGFACE, THE
      UNDEAD),
      author of the book "Tales of Horror: The History of the Misfits & The
      Undead"
      and former MINISTRY/KILLING JOKE drummer Martin Atkins, author of the
      best-selling book "Tour: Smart", are among the guests who will be on
      hand for
      "Vicious Intent", a rock and roll poster art show and book signing this
      Saturday, September 20 at the Showroom Gallery, 117 Second Ave & 7th
      Street, 2nd
      Floor, New York City from 7 to 11 p.m. Featured artists scheduled to
      appear
      include Joe Simko, Greg "Stainboy" Reinel and a selection of artists
      from Royal
      Flush magazine.

      In related news, Gausten is interviewed in the October issue of
      Blender magazine
      regarding the battle between God and Satan in contemporary music.
      Gausten, a
      lifelong Satanist and a warlock in the Church of Satan, debates the
      merits of
      such artists as STRYPER and Brian "Head" Welch of KORN with Bill
      Donohue of the
      Catholic League. The October issue of Blender is on newsstands now.

      Former WHITE ZOMBIE drummer Ivan de Prume has commented on the
      upcoming release
      of a WHITE ZOMBIE box set, tentatively due before the end of the year.
      He said,
      "Finally, man!! There is so much material before we were signed to
      Geffen and
      put out 'La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1' [1992] and it shows an
      evolution of
      the band.

      "When I joined the band at the age of 17, they had recorded one EP. Sean
      [Yseult, ex-WHITE ZOMBIE bassist] and I had played together previously
      and when
      they needed a drummer, she called me. I was listening to bands like
      METALLICA,
      SLAYER, and, of course, the BEASTIE BOYS, who were busting out in New
      York at
      the time. We all brought different influences to the table. I was
      still in high
      school and just wanted to play drums and had definitely not refined my
      writing
      technique or my playing yet. We worked hard, played a lot, and tried
      to put
      songs together but we were all really young at making music. I'm sure
      you'll be
      able to hear an evolution and growth as the band became more cohesive
      in what we
      wanted to do and learned to actually put it all together. This is the
      process
      that any young band goes through and I have really fond memories of those
      innocent times.

      "We were a band who just wanted to make music and have it heard and we
      were
      lucky enough to be doing it at a time when the industry still
      responded to that.

      "I know a lot of great musicians out there right now making
      exceptional music
      but that's not what motivates the industry anymore and I think that's
      a shame. I
      wish we could go back to the days where you could have a great sound
      and people
      would buy your records but instead we have a nation of people looking to
      'American Idol' to tell them what's good. For now, I'll keep doing
      what I've
      been doing with my band HEALER and know that we're being true to
      ourselves as
      musicians and hope that bands that are practicing the same philosophy
      continue
      to eke their way onto the airwaves and into people's lives."

      Rob Zombie formed WHITE ZOMBIE in the mid-'80s after moving from
      Massachusetts
      to New York's Lower East Side. The band slowly built a cult following
      and became
      stars in 1992 with its major label debut, "La Sexorcisto: Devil Music
      Vol. 1"
      and hit single "Thunder Kiss '65".

      The band broke up in the late '90s, with Rob Zombie starting a
      successful solo
      career and pursuing his goal of writing and directing feature films.
      The singer
      told The Pulse of Radio that younger fans of his solo albums don't
      always know
      that he was in WHITE ZOMBIE. "I wouldn't normally think that but,
      like, if some
      kid's, like, 15, you know, WHITE ZOMBIE had broken up as a band when
      the kid
      was, like, eight or something so he doesn't remember it," he said. "So
      there's
      always confusion, like, 'Hey, was he in that band?' and 'What songs
      should I
      listen to?'"

      A previous career retrospective, 2003's "Past, Present and Future",
      featured
      selections from both WHITE ZOMBIE and Rob Zombie's solo efforts.

      WHITE ZOMBIE box set track listing:

      01. Gentleman Junkie
      02. King Of Souls
      03. Tales From the Scarecrowman
      04. Cat's Eye Resurrection
      05. Pig Heaven
      06. Slaughter The Grey
      07. Eighty-Eight/Fast Jungle
      08. Gun Crazy
      09. Kick
      10. Memphis
      11. Magdelene
      12. True Crime
      13. Ratmouth
      14. Shack of Hate
      15. Drowning the Colossus
      16. Crow II
      17. Die Zombie Die
      18. Skin
      19. Truck On Fire
      20. Future Shock
      21. Scumkill
      22. Diamond Ass
      23. Demonspeed
      24. Disaster Blaster
      25. Murderworld
      26. Revenge
      27. Acid Flesh
      28. Power Hungry
      29. Godslayer
      30. God Of Thunder
      31. Love Razor
      32. Disaster Blaster 2
      33. Welcome to Planet MF
      34. Knuckle Duster
      35. Thunder Kiss
      36. Black Sunshine
      37. Soul-Crusher
      38. Cosmic Monster
      39. Spiderbaby
      40. I Am Legend
      41. Knuckle Duster 2
      42. Thrust
      43. One Big Crunch
      44. Grindhouse
      45. Starface
      46. Warp Asylum
      47. I Am Hell
      48. Children Of The Grave
      49. Feed The Gods
      50. Electric Head Pt. 1
      51. Super Charger Heaven
      52. Real Solution 9
      53. Creature Of The Wheel
      54. Electric Head Pt. 2
      55. Grease Paint And Monkey Brains
      56. I Zombie
      57. More Human Than Human
      58. El Phantasmo
      59. Blur The Technicolor
      60. Blood Milk Sky
      61. The One
      62. I'm Your Boogieman
      63. Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls

      In a posting on his MySpace page, Zombie writes, "Well, I am now
      holding the
      finished newly master WHITE ZOMBIE box set in my hands. Yes, it is
      done! A long
      time coming but it is here. I'm not sure what the release day is yet,
      but it
      shouldn't be much longer. I'm pretty you'll be getting under your
      Christmas
      tree. All I can say is boy the early shit is whacked. I haven't heard
      some of
      these songs in over twenty years. I don't know what the hell we were
      thinking.
      Everything is included on this set. Over 4 and 1/2 hours of music plus
      tons of
      never before seen videos. Five discs in all."

      Rob Zombie recently spent time in the studio working on material for
      his next
      studio album. Zombie wrote in a May 2008 online posting, "Well, we
      have for the
      first time ever written more songs than we need for an album.
      Everything isn't
      100% finished, but everything is moving along great."

      Zombie's next studio effort will follow up 2006's "Educated Horses",
      which was
      his third solo CD. He also released his first concert recording, "Zombie -
      Live", late last year. Although he's still apparently committed to
      making music,
      Zombie recently told Metal Edge magazine that the record labels are
      "dinosaurs
      waiting to die."

      The Baltic Sea is the most polluted sea in the world. Worldwide
      climate change
      affects us all. "Operaatio Maa" (Operation Earth), a new series
      starting in
      November on Finnish TV channel 4, features three separate teams with
      different
      environmental causes. Rock stars Jyrki 69 and Jussi 69 from THE 69
      EYES form one
      of the teams, that will man the barricades for saving the Baltic Sea:
      they have
      formed an anarchistic environmental movement called Pirates Of The
      Baltic Sea
      and invite everyone aboard the ship that sails under the green Jolly
      Roger.

      HANOI ROCKS frontman Michael Monroe joined the Pirates and created a
      powerful,
      anthemic call to arms that aims to wake people up from their apathy
      and to take
      action: every single living soul CAN take part in saving the Baltic
      Sea. Michael
      Monroe has always been an actively aware person, even back in the day:
      in the
      '80s he participated in the Sun City project, which was Bruce
      Springsteen's and
      Little Steven's worldwide musical protest against apartheid. Besides
      singing the
      song along with a bunch of other international rock stars, Michael
      Monroe can be
      seen in the legendary Sun City music video.

      With the song "Pirates Of The Baltic Sea", Michael Monroe appears at
      his most
      aggressive, and punky for quite some while. The international band of
      misfits
      that recorded the song with Michael is a true rock'n'roll crew of the
      highest
      order: Jussi 69 behind the drums, underground legend Adam Bomb on the
      guitar,
      WARRIOR SOUL's Kory Clarke singing backup, and BACKYARD BABIES' Dregen
      on the
      guitar as well. A music video for "Pirates Of The Baltic Sea" â€"
      directed by
      Tuukka Temonen â€" was shot a short while ago on the Baltic Sea aboard the
      marine research vessel Aranda.

      The release party for the "Pirates Of The Baltic Sea" single and video
      will be
      held at the Tavastia Club in Helsinki on Friday, September 19 starting
      at 1:30
      p.m.

      For more information, visit www.piratesofthebalticsea.fi.

      THE BLACK CROWES have cancelled the following dates "due to a
      bandmember’s
      unexpected illness":

      Sep. 16 - Mesa, AZ
      Sep. 17 - Los Angeles, CA
      Sep. 19 - Santa Barbara, CA
      Sep. 20 - San Diego Street Scene San Diego, CA
      Sep. 21 - Santa Rosa, CA

      All remaining dates on the group's 2008 tour will take place as scheduled.

      Commented THE BLACK CROWES in a statement: "Despite our best efforts,
      it is not
      possible to reschedule the canceled shows at this time. However, we
      are working
      diligently to reschedule these markets in early 2009. Fans are
      encouraged to
      obtain refunds from their original place of purchase.

      "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause
      our fans.
      We greatly appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing
      you soon."

      THE BLACK CROWES are continuing to promote their first new studio
      album in seven
      years, "Warpaint", which features the single "Goodbye Daughters of the
      Revolution".

      RollingStone.com recently conducted an interview with former GUNS N'
      ROSES and
      current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash. An excerpt from the chat
      follows below.

      RollingStone.com: You've spoken about how much AEROSMITH's "Rocks"
      influenced
      you and it was weird to think that "Appetite for Destruction" was now
      having
      that same effect on other people.

      Slash: I think the first time I ever really saw how that clicked was
      when the
      "Paradise City" video came out. There's this couple in GUNS N' ROSES
      T-shirts
      somewhere in the first 10 rows. There's a closeup of them making out,
      just a
      quick shot, and that hit a nerve with me 'cause that took me back to
      when I used
      to be putting my hand up some girl's shirt in the heat of the rock
      concert. I
      met that chick by the way, years later. But lately it's just been a lot of
      people talking about certain moments that they've had listening to a
      particular
      song or whatever. But I can relate to it, I know exactly what they're
      talking
      about because all those things you go through in life as a teenager,
      usually to
      the background music of some great band that you're into. It's very
      important,
      the rock & roll colorizing of the whole thing; you start looking at
      people's
      experiences like that.

      Rob Haynes of Metro.co.uk recently conducted a short interview with
      bassist Duff
      McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES, LOADED). An excerpt from the chat
      follows below.

      Metro.co.uk: You've worked with two of the most charismatic vocalists
      in rock:
      what did you learn?

      Duff: Axl [Rose] is a kick-ass frontman, he throws everything into it,
      and Scott
      Weiland is great, although completely different. I'm sure I've learned
      different
      things from both of them, you can't help but do that a little. I'm
      sure I've
      learned things about guitar playing from Slash, too.

      Metro.co.uk: Why tour [in the UK with LOADED] and not in America?

      Duff: It seemed the right thing for this band. Audiences in the UK seem to
      understand the type of rock'n'roll I like to play. The UK is the first
      place
      GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER broke. I'm not too sure about
      playing the
      States. Frankly, America isn't very rock 'n' roll anymore.

      Metro.co.uk: What's the situation with VELVET REVOLVER?

      Duff: Well, we have the next record written; it was done before the
      last tour
      was over. But we have so many singers who have submitted audition
      tapes that we
      have to listen to them all critically without getting burned out.
      There's too
      many singers! But we'll figure it out.

      LOADED, the band formed by current VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff
      McKagan (on
      guitar and vocals) after he left GUNS N' ROSES, has issued the
      following update:

      "We are on day five of the Europe tour and things have been beyond
      fantastic!
      The shows have been so much fun, thank you to everybody for coming out and
      sharing this experience with us. The connection we are having with you
      all is
      something we won't forget!

      "As for the show itself, we have started to venture into places we
      didn't expect
      to. Every night before we go on, we put on music to get us fucking
      pumped up and
      ready to rock! PRINCE, QOTSA, NOTORIOUS B.I.G., whatever. On the first
      night of
      the tour, during 'Dog', we just started throwin' parts of songs we were
      listening into the breakdown. Mind you, we had never even attempted
      some of
      these. It was just a blast. Who knows if this will be a nightly thing;
      guess it
      just depends on the vibe."

      LOADED recently posted the fourth webisode (see below) featuring
      footage from
      the recording sessions for the group's new album.

      LOADED played a warm-up show for its European tour on September 2,
      2008 at the
      Viper Room in Hollywood, California. Joining LOADED on stage for a
      couple of
      numbers were McKagan's former GUNS N' ROSES bandmate Gilby Clarke and
      ex-GUNS N'
      ROSES/current VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum.

      LOADED will release a five-song EP entitled "Wasted Heart" on
      September 22 via
      Century Media Records. A new full-length album will follow in early
      2009. The CD
      was produced by Martin Feveyear and will include such tracks as "Roll
      Away",
      "Forgive Me", "Sick", "No More", "Southern Girl", "No Shame" and
      "Translucent".

      According to The Pulse of Radio, BUCKCHERRY, SHINEDOWN and SAVING ABEL
      will
      start their tour together on Tuesday (September 16) in Moline,
      Illinois, despite
      the loss of co-headliner AVENGED SEVENFOLD because of frontman M.
      Shadows's
      strained voice. BUCKCHERRY is now the sole headliner and a statement
      at the
      band's website is billing the trek as "three bands for the price of
      one." In the
      same statement, singer Josh Todd said, "We're glad to hear that
      Shadows is fine,
      and can't wait to get out on the road with the band in November. We
      have a great
      show planned, and we are pumped to get on the road behind the new
      album and play
      it for the fans."

      Shadows himself added, "We're happy to hear that BUCKCHERRY will carry
      on with
      the dates we had scheduled together and look forward to joining them
      for a kick
      ass tour in November."

      All four bands will reunite on November 4 for a new round of dates
      beginning in
      Caspar, Wyoming.

      BUCKCHERRY's new album, "Black Butterfly", arrives on Tuesday as well. A
      pre-taped performance by the band of its single "Too Drunk..." will
      air that
      night on ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"

      The Pulse of Radio reports: BUCKCHERRY releases its fourth studio
      album, titled
      "Black Butterfly", on Tuesday (September 16). The CD follows up 2006's
      "15",
      which marked a huge comeback for the band after it was left for dead
      in 2002.
      "15" sold more than one million copies and produced several hit
      singles, with
      the song "Crazy Bitch" becoming one of the most popular ringtones
      ever. Although
      the band is now bigger than it was before its four-year hiatus, singer
      Josh Todd
      told The Pulse of Radio their values remain the same. "When we started
      out, I
      remember Keith (Nelson, guitarist) and I just saying that we had
      gotten to a
      point where just, like, we just wanted to make music that we were excited
      about," he said. "It was just all about, like, 'Let's just go and enjoy
      ourselves.' And we still have that philosophy today, you know, like we
      don't
      want to overthink it and we don't want to chase radio, you know, we
      just want to
      make the music that means
      something to us. And if it's real to us, it's gonna be real to
      everybody else."

      BUCKCHERRY came onto the scene in 1999 with its self-titled debut
      album, which
      went gold. But its 2001 sophomore effort, "Time Bomb", was a sales
      disappointment, leading Todd and Nelson to put the band on ice until 2005.

      Todd and Nelson are the only original members still in the group. During
      BUCKCHERRY's hiatus they were involved with an early version of VELVET
      REVOLVER.

      "Don't Go Away" is the latest single from "Black Butterfly". It
      follows up "Too
      Drunk..."

      BUCKCHERRY, SHINEDOWN and SAVING ABEL kick off a tour on Tuesday night in
      Moline, Illinois. Original co-headliners AVENGED SEVENFOLD were forced
      to bow
      out due to singer M. Shadows needing to rest his voice.

      BUCKCHERRY's fourth studio album, titled "Black Butterfly", is on
      track to sell
      around 40,000 copies in its first week of release, according to Hits Daily
      Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS. The
[...]

      MOTÖRHEAD frontman Lemmy Kilminster served as musical director for
      "Down And
      Dirty With Jim Norton", hosted by outrageous comedy star Jim Norton,
      which kicks
      off its four-edition run Friday, October 3 (12:00-12:30 a.m. ET/PT),
      exclusively
      on HBO.

      Taped at New Jersey's Bergen Performing Arts Center, the series
      spotlights new
      and established talent, including Artie Lange ("The Howard Stern
      Show"), Bill
      Burr (Chappelle's show), Patrice O'Neal ("Scary Movie 4") and the
      legendary
      Andrew Dice Clay.

      Norton appeared in the blockbuster film "Spider-Man" and has released
      two CDs of
      stand-up comedy: 2002's "Yellow Discipline" and 2003's "Trinkets I Won
      Made from
      Gorilla Hands". He became a New York Times best-selling author with
      his book
      "Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch", a compilation of
      journal
      entries, raunchy sex stories, embarrassing star sightings and pathetic
      childhood
      memories.

      Orange County, California's AVENGED SEVENFOLD has announced the
      following dates:

      Oct. 15 - Osaka, Japan, Namba Hatch
      Oct. 16 - Nagoya, Japan, Diamond Hall
      Oct. 18 - Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Super Arena
      Oct. 20 - Tokyo, Japan, Studio Coast
      Oct. 22 - Jakarta, Indonesia, Tennis Indoor Arena
      Oct. 24 - Singapore, The MAX Pavilion

      James Ridley of Australia's The Metal Forge recently conducted an
      interview with
      TESTAMENT guitarist Eric Peterson. A few excerpts from the chat follow
      below.

      On the current metal scene:

      "It's a really good time for metal right now. The scene is really
      growing. There
      are a lot of great bands to play with. There's older bands like JUDAS
      PRIEST and
      BLACK SABBATH still kicking ass, plus bands that came through with us
      in the
      thrash scene and a lot of new bands mixing it all together and making
      it more
      modern. So it's a lot of fun."

      "Heavy music is never going to go away; it just comes and goes in
      spurts. This
      whole resurgence is because of a whole new generation of kids
      understanding
      metal. I think there were kids that were 11 not really digging on the
      music, but
      now that they're 17 or 18 they're total metalheads and loving it! I
      know my
      parents turned me onto BLACK SABBATH and LED ZEPPELIN and stuff when I was
      young, but it wasn't until I was in my late teens that I really got
      into it."

      On TESTAMENT's current setlist:

      "It's cool getting up there and playing the heavier older songs that
      we kind of
      stopped playing because we'd played them so much and we were trying to
      be more
      melodic and more 'musician-y' or whatever. Now we realise that we have
      to play
      'Apocalyptic City', we have to play 'Over The Wall', you know, have a
      lot of fun
      with it and just not be afraid of who we are. But we're also playing
      tracks off
      'Low' and 'The Gathering', stuff that wasn't written by the original
      line-up.
      Then again, Chuck [Billy, vocals] and I have always been the main
      songwriters."

      On his it feels to have a new album out and be playing with the
      original lineup
      again:

      "It feels great because Chuck and I carried the flag. The original
      lineup kind
      of left each other when metal wasn't so good. There was a lot of
      compromise on
      the final record with the original line-up: 'The Ritual'. It wasn't
      one of the
      heaviest records we've done. Now that everything is said and done I
      like the
      record, but I think we left on a light note so it was up to me and
      Chuck to turn
      it around and bring some death metal and mix it in with the thrash and
      make it
      more modern, more melodic. Now that metal is popular again and we've
      got the
      original line-up back together it's a wet situation, you know, its
      cool. We're
      all on the same page and that's the biggest part. We're really
      appreciating that
      the people that played on this record are the people you're going to
      see live."

      On TESTAMENT's legacy thus far:

      "We're survivors. We've surpassed the criticism of, 'Oh, how long are
      they going
      to last?' or ‘How long is thrash going to last?' People are saying
      to us that
      we've influenced a whole new generation, which is hard for me to grasp
      because
      it feels like yesterday that we came out. The role that we've played
      is being
      part of the blueprint of the thrash metal scene and modern metal."

      METAL CHURCH singer Ronny Munroe will perform with his solo band,
      which includes
      METAL CHURCH guitarist Rick Van Zandt on guitar, at the first annual
      World Bowl
      Of Rock at the King Cat Theatre in Seattle, Washington on November 2.
      They will
      play old and new METAL CHURCH tracks as well songs from Ronny's
      upcomming solo
      effort. The first two hundred tthrough the door will get a free copy
      of Ronny's
      "Internal Quest" EP.

      ICED EARTH's new full-length studio album, "The Crucible of Man (Something
      Wicked Part II)", has sold 6,700 copies in the United States in its
      first week
      of release to debut at position No. 79 on The Billboard 200 chart.

      "The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Part II)" track listing:

      01. In Sacred Flames
      02. Behold The Wicked Child
      03. Minions Of The Watch
      04. The Revealing
      05. A Gift Or A Curse
      06. Crown Of The Fallen
      07. The Dimensional Gauntlet
      08. I Walk Alone
      09. Harbinger Of Fate
      10. Crucify The King
      11. Sacrificial Kingdoms
      11. Something Wicked (Part 3)
      12. Divide And Devour
      14. Come What May
      15. Epilogue

      "The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Part II)" continues where ICED
      EARTH's
      2007 release, "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I)" left off.
      "The
      Crucible of Man" features the return of frontman Matt Barlow who was
      mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer's original voice of choice to introduce the
      "Something Wicked" saga back in 1998 as a trio of songs which
      concluded their
      album, "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

      ICED EARTH's official web site, IcedEarth.com, has posted an audio
      interview
      with the group's leader/guitarist Jon Schaffer conducted on September
      4, 2008.
      In the interview, Jon talks about songs on the new album, how his
      relationship
      to songs he writes will always be different from everyone else, the
      band's new
      fanclub ("Minions of the Wicked"), the opportunity to meet fans
      through the VIP
      ticket package offered on the upcoming North American tour, and much more.

      The cover artwork for "Tinnitus Sanctus", the new album from German
      melodic
      metallers EDGUY, can be viewed below. The was recorded at Gate Studios in
      Wolfsburg, Germany with producer Sascha Paeth and is scheduled to be
      released on
      November 16.

      In a recent interview, EDGUYfrontman Tobias Sammet stated about the
      group's new
      material, "We don't go back to the roots. We never denied who we are
      and where
      we come from, so I don't see a reason to go back to wherever. I go
      straight
      forward and follow my heart as I've always done, 'Tinnitus Sanctus' is
      exactly
      the music we wanna play, we are happy and I don't give a fuck if it's
      gonna be
      our biggest-selling album or not. It's so great, even if my career
      would go down
      the drain and this would be the last album, I'd be more than happy to be
      remembered as the guy who recorded 'Tinnitus Sanctus'. I'd rather ruin my
      carreer with a creative killer album like that than trying to play
      safe with a
      boring stereotype power metal stinker constructed on a drawing table.
      We have a
      couple of song titles such as 'Dragonfly', 'Dead Or Rock', 'Wake Up
      Dreaming
      Black' or 'Sex Fire Religion'. And we'll shoot a video for a very
      heavy midtempo
      anthem by the name of
      'Ministry Of Saints'. And there'll be a bonus track called 'Aren't You
      A Little
      Pervert Too?' which is quite nasty."

      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2864291148_92bd64bf83.jpg

      Florida metallers TRIVIUM will play a free all-ages MySpace "secret"
      show this
      Monday, September 22 at the Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, California.
      Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. So get there early
      and stay in
      line.

      CINDERELLA's Jeff LaBar has replaced Carlos Cavazo (QUIET RIOT, RATT)
      as the new
      guitarist of JUAN CROUCIER'S DIRTY RATS, the band featuring
      bassist/vocalist
      Juan Croucier (RATT) and drummer John Medina (BRET MICHAELS).

      Commented Croucier, "I am extremely pleased to introduce Jeff LaBar as
      the new
      lead guitar player for the band! I have always greatly admired Jeff's
      guitar
      playing, as well as his exceptional stage presence. Clearly, he's a
      world-class
      guitarist. We're both known for our live performances, so I can't wait
      to hit
      the stage with Jeff! This band is truly going to kick serious ass!"

      THE DIRTY RATS will begin playing fly-in shows throughout the United
      States
      before the end of the year and also plan on touring the U.S. with a
      multi-band
      package, early next year. There are also plans to begin recording a
      new record
      early next year, for release next summer. The bands set list currently
      includes
      most of RATT's major hits, as well as other surprises.

      CINDERELLA's Jeff LaBar has denied that he has replaced Carlos Cavazo
      (QUIET
      RIOT, RATT) as the new guitarist of JUAN CROUCIER'S DIRTY RATS, the band
      featuring bassist/vocalist Juan Croucier (RATT) and drummer John
      Medina (BRET
      MICHAELS).

      Commented LaBar: "Contrary to Juan Croucier's press release regarding
      me playing
      with his DIRTY RATS, I unfortunately must announce that I will not be
      able to do
      so. Priorities and prior commitments prevent me from pursing this. I must
      apologize to Juan and those fans who may have been looking forward to
      this but
      the announcement may have been a bit premature. I am first and
      foremost a member
      of CINDERELLA. In addition to that, I just completed recording with
      Frankie
      Banali, Tony Franklin and MISS CRAZY's Markus Allen Christopher with
      an exciting
      new project we're calling FREAKSHOW. Those of you who are in touch
      with these
      Internet rock sites and MySpace may have heard about it. I have very
      high hopes
      for what we think is a fuckin' kick-ass CD, which starts mixing today
      and I am
      very much committed to. I wish Juan the best of luck in the future and
      hope he
      and all you RATT fans will forgive me and check out FREAKSHOW when the
      time
      comes. I would also
      like to thank the CINDERELLA fans for your patience and loyalty as
      well as let
      you know, if you love CINDERELLA, wait till you get a load of FREAKSHOW!"

      Swedish/German extreme metallers ARCH ENEMY have been confirmed for
      next year's
      Dubai Desert Rock 2009, set to take place March 6-7, 2009 at Dubai
      Festival
      City, United Arab Emirates. The festival, which will take place at Dubai
      Festival City, will also feature Cleveland, Ohio metallers CHIMAIRA
      and the
      Swedish progressive metal band OPETH. A spokesperson for the festival
      organizers, Lara from Center Stage Management (CSM), stated, "We are
      focusing on
      adding great hard-hitting metal bands for the first day, following the
      trend of
      the previous years. We want this year to be the heaviest yet."

      More bands are expected to be announced in the coming months,
      including the
      headliners. CSM is also holding the "United We Rock" event which will
      give the
      opportunity for a band from the Middle East to perform at next year's
      With Full
      Force festival in Germany.

      A total of 28,000 tickets were sold to Dubai Desert Rock Festival's fifth
      anniversary event, which was held this past March at Dubai Festival City.

      KORN, MACHINE HEAD, KILLSWITCH ENAGE, AS I LAY DYING, NERVECELL and
      SLAPSHOCK
      performed on the first day and MUSE, VELVET REVOLVER, MARKY RAMONE,
      JULIANA DOWN
      and SPOON FEEDAS on the second.

      THE GALEEJ GURUS, winners of Shamal Battle held at the same venue on
      the March
      5, performed on both days on the same stage as these rock legends

      Launched in April 2003, Dubai Desert Rock Festival has grown to
      encompass nine
      international bands, two local bands, the Shamal winner (GALEEJ GURUS from
      Bangalore, India) over two days, the first suspended bar ever, an
      Infusion Dance
      Tent, a Calvin Klein Fragrances VIP Lounge, the Lee Cooper cable slide and
      numerous other entertainment options for the audience.

      Jackie Wartanian, president of CSM, explains, "Desert Rock is still a baby
      festival compared to the ones in Europe for instance. But we're proud
      to have
      grown from a three hour show to a two-day festival. When we started we
      had great
      vision for the future with the aim to put Dubai Desert Rock Festival
      on the
      world music festival map and we have achieved that."

      Scottish folk/power metal band ALESTORM has announced the addition of
      guitarist
      Tim Shaw to the group's ranks. The band states, "The more eagle-eyed
      watchers of
      the underground amongst you may know him as the mastermind behind the
      epic black
      metal project FYRDSMAN, and as the guitarist of the now-departed death
      metal
      titans PREMITHON. He's a beastly good guitarist, and a great lad to
      boot. It's
      gonna be a fucking blast when we get up on stage and in the studio."

      ALESTORM adds, "Gavin's [Harper, former ALESTORM guitarist] shoes are
      going to
      be tough ones to fill, but that's OK, because Tim has big feet. And
      you know
      what they say about guys with big feet..."

      ALESTORM was recently rejoined by drummer Ian Wilson.

      The band has just completed work on four-track EP, which will go on
      sale to
      coincide with the band's upcoming European tour with SVARTSOT,
      HOLLENTHON and
      TÝR. According to the group, "It's got one new awesome song, a cover,
      'Wenches
      and Mead' in German (oh, yes), and a revamped version of 'Heavy Metal
      Pirates',
      available on CD for the first time."

      "Leviathan" EP tentative track listing:

      01. Leviathan
      02. Wolves of the Sea
      03. Weiber und Wein (German version of "Wenches and Mead")
      04. Heavy Metal Pirates

      ALESTORM released its debut album, "Captain Morgan's Revenge", in January
      through Napalm Records.

      According to a press release, the quartet "plays Scottish 'pirate
      metal,' by
      their own definition, and musically resembles the great battle metal
      bands such
      as KORPIKLAANI or TURISAS, albeit with a unique touch and Scottish
      instrumentation."

      For more information, visit www.myspace.com/alestorm.

      SAVATAGE mastermind Jon Oliva will make a special guest appearance
      with the
      Florida-based rock band DOCTRINE on Saturday, September 20 at Bourbon
      Street in
      New Port Richey, Florida. DOCTRINE's first song of the evening, "In
      The Dark"
      will feature Oliva on vocals. Also scheduled to appear are JON OLIVA'S
      PAIN
      (featuring Jon Oliva) and CIRCLE II CIRCLE (the band led by
      ex-SAVATAGE singer
      Zak Stevens).

      "In The Dark" is slated to appear on DOCTRINE's Oliva-produced debut
      album,
      tentatively due in early 2009.

      DOCTRINE is:

      Tomey Sellars - Lead Vocals
      Jim Dorian (DORIAN, MONARCH, ANOMALY) - Lead Vocals
      Tom McDyne (DORIAN, SHUT, CIRCLE II CIRCLE) - Lead Guitar
      Mark EL Hosri - Lead Guitar
      Armand Melnbardis - Violin
      Sam Conable - Bass
      Nate Keefer (TAKEN BY FORCE) â€" Drums

      BLACK CHERRY , one of Hollywood's top bands of the late '80s and early
      '90s,
      will reunite for a one-time show at the Viper Room in Hollywood as a
      tribute to
      their rhythm guitarist Curtis Grant, who tragically passed away after
      losing his
      battle with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at age
      39. He is
      survived by his wife and two children. BLACK CHERRY vocalist Paul
      Black said of
      the immensely popular guitarist, "He was the heart and soul of BLACK
      CHERRY. His
      enthusiasm for the band and his all around love of life was the main
      source of
      inspiration and motivation which kept us all rockin'." The show will
      take place
      on Thursday, October 16, with JET BOY and Gilby Clarke's band KILL FOR
      THRILLS.
      This will be BLACK CHERRY's first show in 16 years and will feature
      all original
      members Dave Walsh and Josh Blake on guitars, Scott Lipps on drums,
      Michael
      Stevens on bass and Paul Black on lead vocals.

      After departing from L.A. GUNS, Paul Black started BLACK CHERRY with
      Scott Lipps
      in 1987. Curtis Grant became the band's rhythm guitarist after Josh
      Blake left
      to form THE GUTTER CATS. BLACK CHERRY's first shows were opening for
      JANE'S
      ADDICTION, 45 GRAVE, IGGY POP, and LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH. Their one
      release
      "Devil In You" on Metal Blade Records' "Street Survivors" compilation
      received
      generous radio airplay and catapulted them to local fame. Lasting four
      years
      without a deal, they played their last show in April of 1992 at the
      Whisky A Go
      Go.

      Curtis Grant relocated back to his hometown San Francisco, dedicating
      much of
      his time to family, his Native American heritage and community. He
      continued his
      music career by forming AMERICAN HEARTBREAK with JET BOY guitarist
      Billy Rowe.
      Drummer Scott Lipps went on to establish one of the top entertainment
      companies
      in the country, One Model Management in New York. He also has an
      all-star band
      in New York City called MARS. Bassist Michael Stevens moved to
      Maryland where he
      is raising a family and owns a successful scooter company called
      Scootertronics.
      He continued playing music with Tommy and the LOVE TRIBE. Dave Walsh
      went on to
      a career as a guitarist for THE EXIES and has been busy as a
      songwriter. His
      music has been featured on "Saturday Night Live", "MTV Movie Awards",
      "Bad Boys
      2" and "Guitar Hero". Paul Black formed SONIC BOOM with Jo Almeida and
      released
      "Sun Down Yellow Moon". He has spent most of the last decade producing
      bands and
      composing
      movie soundtracks. After spending the last two years touring with his
      former
      band L.A. GUNS, Paul has formed a new group with Jo "Dog" Almeida, Muddy
      Stardust and drummer Dennis Morehouse. They are scheduled to record an
      album for
      Alexis Records at the end of October.

      BLACK CHERRY will release a seven-song EP of studio recordings they
      produced
      during their time together. It will be dedicated to the memory of
      Curtis Grant.
      "Ashes to Diamonds" will be the first official release by the band and
      will be
      available at the reunion show along with other merchandise. All
      proceeds will go
      to Curtis Grant's family.

      Reactivated British thrashers ONSLAUGHT will embark on a six-date
      Italian tour
      in October.

      Commented the band: "We can't wait to return to to your awesome
      country once
      again. It's gonna be a blast to spend 6 days with our many Italian
      friends,
      drink some beers, snap some necks and cause some thrash metal chaos."

      The details are as follows:

      Oct. 22 - Milan, ITA @ Marmaja Club
      Oct. 23 - Rome, ITA @ Palarockness
      Oct. 24 - Bari, ITA @ Target
      Oct. 25 - Pescara, ITA @ Rockhouse
      Oct. 26 - Siena, ITA @ Sonar

      Due to popular demand, Back On Black Records recently released four
      ONSLAUGHT
      albums on vinyl (colored) complete with gatefold sleeves. The albums
      that were
      made available are: "Killing Peace" [2007], "Power From Hell" [1985], "The
      Force" [1986] and one purely for the fans of the embryonic ONSLAUGHT, a
      collection of early hardcore punk demos from 1983 entitled "Shadow Of
      Death".

      ONSLAUGHT's latest album, "Killing Peace", was released in March 2007 via
      Candlelight Records. The CD was recorded at Backstage studio in
      Derbyshire,
      England with producer Andy Sneap (MEGADETH, MACHINE HEAD, ARCH ENEMY,
      NEVERMORE).

      Metal Mind Productions released ONSLAUGHT's "Live Polish Assault" DVD in a
      special DVD+CD limited swing case edition on March 3 in Europe (May 13
      in the
      U.S. via MVD).

      According to Bring Back Glam!, reactivated hard rockers KIX will
      release a new
      album and DVD. The CD will feature live cuts from a 2007 XM Radio
      special and
      performance at Rams Head Live in Baltimore, including such KIX classics as
      "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" and "Blow My Fuse" and other songs not found on the
      1993
      "Live" release. The DVD will contain the 2007 Rams Head Live
      performance as well
      as possibly some "vintage video" of the "Hot Wire" recording sessions.

      This new live package will be the first KIX album since the 2002
      "Essentials"
      release. A late 2008 release is expected.

      Four-fifths of the original KIX lineup â€" frontman Steve Whiteman,
      guitarists
      Ronnie Younkins and Brian "Damage" Forsythe and drummer Jimmy "Chocolate"
      Chalfant â€" has teamed up a few times a year for the last several
      years to do
      KIX reunion shows in its hometown areas of Maryland and Eastern
      Pennsylvania. It
      also performed at this year's Rocklahoma festival in Pryor, Oklahoma.

      Original bassist Donnie Purnell is not taking part in the reunion and
      is being
      replaced by Steve and Chalfant's FUNNY MONEY bandmate Mark Schenker.

      Originally calling themselves SHOOZE and eventually changing their
      name to the
      GENERATORS and ultimately KIX, Baltimore's favorite hard rock band
      garnered
      quite a reputation for themselves as one of Maryland's most exciting
      live cover
      bands prior to signing to Atlantic Records in 1981. Led by frontman
      Whiteman and
      creative mastermind Purnell, the band hit the club circuit six nights
      a week for
      three straight years, resulting in the band cultivating a huge local
      fan base
      that led to a contract with the Time Warner affiliate. Releasing their
      self-titled debut in <br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)