ICED EARTH Drummer: 'We Are Back With A Vengeance!'

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2008
      ICED EARTH drummer Brent Smedley has posted the
      following "Road Rage" report on the band's official
      web site:

      "As most of you are aware, some big changes have been
      made since the last report in 2007. We have welcomed
      back singer Matt Barlow into the band. It's great
      having Matt back and hearing his voice again. We have
      also added Freddie Vidales on bass guitar. He is an
      incredible bass player and a great guy. I think he
      will fit into the band splendidly.

      "The new single is due for release starting June 13.
      It consists of a new song 'I Walk Alone', a crushing
      heavy grooving jam as well as re-done versions of 'A
      Charge To Keep', 'The Clouding', and 'Setian Massacre'
      — all with Matt on vocals.

      "The rehearsals for the upcoming festivals have gone
      well and we are all very excited to be playing for the
      fans once again. (Note: The single can be pre-ordered
      at Amazon.com).

      "The first gig of the 2008 season was just outside of
      Chicago at a place called The Pearl Room. The
      promoters here were very helpful and considerate. The
      dressing room furnishings were like something out of
      an 'Austin Powers' movie, complete with pink chairs
      and pink and purple ruffled curtains adorning the

      "After soundcheck, there was a meet-and-greet session
      with a group of fans and sponsors. Some fans traveled
      from as far as Seattle, New York, Michigan, and other
      distant places.

      "There is a great deal of excitement and anticipation
      for the 2008 tour. This is the first time ICED EARTH
      has played in the U.S. in over three years.

      "Many fans were grateful for the chance to meet the
      band, have their CDs signed, and have photos taken
      with us. One fan in particular (Rafael) brought us all
      gifts. Rafael is a member of the U.S. Coast Guard. He
      gave Jon a certified USCG watch, Matt a replica of a
      Coast Guard cutter, a shirt and cap set as well as a
      bottle of vodka for me, Troy a bottle of vodka and a
      mug, and a coffee mug for Freddie. It was a very nice
      gesture and greatly appreciated.

      "So, onto the show! The crowd was absolutely amazing!
      We were told it was the biggest attendance ever for a
      concert here. The band played extremely well and the
      audience seemed to eat up every note. It was a great
      return gig for Matt and an awesome first gig for
      Freddie. Several times the crowd broke into chants of
      'Welcome Matt.' Everyone seems to be very pleased with
      the return of Matt on vocals.

      "After the initial set, we returned to the stage for
      an encore and ended the show with our trademark
      closer, the song 'Iced Earth'. When the show was over
      we hung out in the club until closing time, seeing
      many old friends. One in particular we were all happy
      to see was Scott Davidson, the owner of Rebel Radio, a
      good friend who has helped us out very much in the
      past. I was also pleased to meet a representative for
      Trick Percussion who showed me their amazing bass drum

      "After the club shut down, a couple of us attended a
      huge after-party thrown in a nearby hotel in our

      "It is great to be playing back in the states and
      Chicago was an excellent choice for our return!

      "So stay tuned for more updates as we check in with
      you from Canada and Germany next weekend.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and