MY DYING BRIDE Guitarist Talks About Upcoming Album

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2005
      Metal Monk UK recently conducted an interview with MY DYING BRIDE
      guitarist Hamish Glencross. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

      Metal Monk UK: Your website says you are already writing new
      material — how is this shaping up? Are you just playing around with
      ideas at the moment or are any songs taking shape? Can we expect any
      sort of radical departure from "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"?

      Hamish Glencross: "Andy [Craighan, guitar] and myself have a lot of
      guitar riffs and musical ideas that we have been playing around with —
      a lot of which have quickly formed into near complete song
      structures, and are waiting for lyrics that could influence their
      development further. Aaron [Stainthorpe, vocals] has started writing
      lyrics and I look forward to seeing what develops next. It is too
      early to say what direction the album will take, as that is
      determined by the songs constituting it — but the music so far is
      deeply sorrowful with a very strong melodic sense tinged with
      sadness."

      Metal Monk UK: How do you go about writing new material? Does the
      band get together and share ideas in a democratic fashion, or are
      there any particularly strong song writing forces in the band?

      Hamish Glencross: "Everyone can bring in ideas when we are writing
      new material, but most frequently the songs begin with the guitar
      lines written by me and Andy. There have been a couple of times when
      a song has begun with lyrics written Aaron and he has an idea of what
      he imagines the song to sound like, or either Andy or myself have
      written guitar lines directly influenced by some text Aaron has
      written.

      Metal Monk UK: Would you ever consider creating another experimental
      record, in vein of "34.788% Complete"?

      Hamish Glencross: "If it was the natural direction our writing was
      going at the time. We would never sit down and say to ourselves we
      are going to write an album that will sound like something else — the
      songs develop in their own fashion, but we are certainly not afraid
      of experimentation!"

      Metal Monk UK: Metal fans can be pretty elitist when they want to be.
      Does it annoy you at all if people bang on about new stuff "never
      being on par" with older material? Especially when you yourself
      joined the band at a later time?

      Hamish Glencross: "Not at all — everyone is entitled to their
      opinion, and I know that listening to old albums brings back old
      memories as well, which influences how you view an album. We
      constantly get people telling us how much they love 'The Dreadful
      Hours' album, 'Songs of Darkness' featured in critics and fans' best
      albums of the year lists, and 'She Is The Dark' is a staple of our
      live set because it is regarded by many as a classic. We love and
      respect our past and present, and look forward to the future."