3065Metallica, Dream Theater, Stone Temple Pilots, Phil Anselmo, Alice in Chains and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Sep 7, 2013
      "Metallica Through The Never", filmmaker Nimród Antal's captivating 3D movie featuring one of music's most enduring and iconic bands, will be screened at the Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas on September 25 at 7:00 p.m. Fantastic Fest is the largest genre film festival in the U.S., specializing in fantasy, sci-fi, action and horror films and is a truly unique and groundbreaking festival. Fantastic Fest is held each year at the Paramount Theater and the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, which was recently named the best cinema in the U.S. by Entertainment Weekly. Says the band: "We do have a few surprises scheduled for you in Austin, so keep watching [the official METALLICA web site] for more details coming soon!" IMAX Corporation and Picturehouse have announced that "Metallica Through The Never" will be digitally remastered into the immersive IMAX 3D format and released wide in North America exclusively into IMAX theatres for a one-week engagement starting Friday, September 27. The film will expand into additional theatres on October 4. Starring METALLICA, a cast of thousands of their fans and breakout star Dane DeHaan ("Chronicle", "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"), "Metallica Through The Never" is written and directed by award-winning filmmaker Nimród Antal ("Predators", "Kontroll") and produced by former IMAX film producer Charlotte Huggins ("Journey To The Center Of The Earth"). The film marries groundbreaking footage and editing techniques with a compelling narrative, in which a band crew member (played by DeHaan) is sent out on a mission during METALLICA's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. While on this mission, he unexpectedly has his life turned completely upside down. The IMAX 3D release of "Metallica Through The Never" will be digitally remastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images, coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio, create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie. Speaking to Collider.com, DeHaan stated about "Metallica Through The Never": "It's, in a way, like a 3D concert movie but there's also this narrative that ties together all the footage. It's gonna be, first of all, really rock and roll and really 'METALLICA,' for lack of a better word; they don't hold back at all. But during the concert, I basically go on this trip as a roadie for the band and I pretty much literally have to go through hell and back to take it back to them, and all of this is going on during the concert, so it all ties together really kind of beautifully and uniquely. It's unlike anything that I've ever seen before; it's almost like a concert movie meets 'The Wall' meets METALLICA." Ulrich cited the 1976 LED ZEPPELIN movie "The Song Remains The Same" as a major influence on "Metallica Through The Never", explaining to Classic Rock, "There are four members in LED ZEPPELIN, four members in METALLICA, it's a full-length movie, and there's a lot in this film that does not take place onstage. The major difference is that the stuff that takes place offstage in the METALLICA movie does not feature any members of METALLICA. It's two separate worlds — a METALLICA show and a story that unfolds in a parallel universe — and at some point they intertwine." The ZEPPELIN film interspersed concert footage with fantasy sequences starring each member of the group. The concert sequences for METALLICA's movie were shot in August 2012 at two shows in Vancouver, Canada.

      METALLICA played for the first time ever in China last month, doing two sold-out shows at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai on August 13 and August 14. The first night sold out in record time and faster than any other Western act that has played the country before. Official video recap of the second Shaghai show — featuring footage of the tuning-room jam and the "Leper Messiah" performance from the concert — can be seen below. Following are excerpts from METALLICA's August 14 press conference in China (courtesy of Time Out Shanghai). On filming a documentary in China: Lars Ulrich (drums): New experiences bring opportunities for new collaborations and new creative endeavours — it's that simple. Being here in this wonderful country and feeling the energy and excitement, the idea came up to celebrate it and to try to document it and to try to get the experience out. As you know, there are a lot of you, and there may be 20,000 of you who came to this arena yesterday and today, so we figured that if we filmed and shared the experience then maybe we could get to more of you and maybe there could be a next-level relationship between METALLICA and China that could last for decades. The idea came up fairly last minute and we love creative endeavours where we make it up as we go along. There's an impulsive energy that comes with that that can be very beautiful and kind of cool and the last few weeks this idea came together of filming here and maybe bringing some local bands into it and bringing some actors in and maybe some way bridging this into the 'Through The Never' movie that we made in the United States. We are making this up as we go along, but it's all being documented — everything we do is always documented — so we're excited about that and we think that there is something cool that will come out of it. Whatever that is, we're not quite sure yet, but we'll do our best to make it shareable and worth everybody's while." On interaction with Chinese fans: Ulrich: "We've been doing meet-and-greets and the interactions with the fans have been very emotionally engaged; they're very appreciative and thankful that we're here. Obviously there is a language barrier. What we try to do, we try to loosen the moment with banter and so on and some of that doesn't seem to translate when there's language issues or whatever, but you can feel that there is a passion and that there's been a longing for this moment that is really special. Most of the time, the communication just comes from the audience when you're up on stage. You sense what's going on and what's coming back at you. People all over the world have different ways of expressing and you sort of learn that there is a correlation between the way people express themselves in different cultures to what they throw at you in gigs. In Italy, they're very much like passionate southern Europeans, in Latin America this happens, and in certain Nordic countries, they're a little more conservative. You learn those patterns along the way, but you could obviously sense that this moment had been a long time coming." On piracy and bootlegged METALLICA goods being sold in China: Ulrich: "The one thing increasingly that we focus our energies on is trying to discern between what we can control and what we can't control. Increasingly, getting wound up and spending a lot of time on things that you can't control, it's just... I'd rather FaceTime with my kids or do something else. It is what it is. And that's a whole separate conversation about Chinese copyright issues, which maybe is not the time to do now. You can't control that, so you just turn a blind side to it as best you can." METALLICA is teaming up with SiriusXM radio to bring back the Mandatory Metallica channel and will celebrate with a special show at Harlem's world-famous Apollo Theater in New York City on September 21 that will air live nationwide. The only other international live date on METALLICA's schedule for the rest of 2013 is September 19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Next up for METALLICA is the release of the band's 3D movie, "Metallica Through The Never", which arrives in limited release on September 27 before expanding its run on October 4. A soundtrack album arrives on September 24. The movie is part concert film and part fictional narrative, with the latter centering on a roadie played by Dane DeHaan who must go on a mysterious mission for the band during the course of a live performance.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-official-video-recap-of-second-shanghai-concert/#gTMvpCDDPrEs1G2k.99

      On November 5, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release "Dream Theater: Live At Luna Park" on 2DVD, Blu-ray, visual digital formats and a deluxe edition. The deluxe edition is an 11.5" square 60 page hardback photobook containing the Blu-ray, 2 DVDs and 3 CDs presenting all the key physical formats in one release; the CDs are only available in this deluxe edition. These releases boast the 160 minute main show — accompanied by a wealth of bonus material — and feature many of the band's classic tracks, including "Metropolis Pt. 1", "The Silent Man", "Pull Me Under", "The Root Of All Evil", "The Test That Stumped Them All", "The Spirit Carries On" and the recent "On The Backs Of Angels". DREAM THEATER began their mammoth "A Dramatic Tour Of Events" world trek in July 2011 with the final leg in South America taking place in August 2012. It was here at the Luna Park Arena in Buenos Aires, Argentina, that they decided to film the two nights that make up this DVD release. The "Live At Luna Park" band lineup for this show is James LaBrie (vocals); John Petrucci (guitar); Jordan Rudess (keyboards); John Myung (bass); and Mike Mangini (drums). This was DREAM THEATER's first tour and album with their new drummer and all the tracks from that album, "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", are included in either the main show or the bonus performances. The bonus features offer live versions of six great tracks: "These Walls"; "Build Me Up, Break Me Down"; "Caught In A Web"; "Wait For Sleep"; "Far From Heaven"; and "Pull Me Under". Also on "Live At Luna Park" is a documentary, the trailer for the cinema release of the film, a "behind-the-scenes" feature and the cartoon intro that ran on big screens prior to the band taking to the stage in Buenos Aires. The Blu-ray additionally features six multi-angle options on "Outcry". "Dream Theater: Live At Luna Park" track listing: 01. Bridges In The Sky 02. 6:00 03. The Dark Eternal Night 04. This Is The Life 05. The Root Of All Evil 06. Lost Not Forgotten 07. Drum Solo 08. A Fortune In Lies 09. The Silent Man 10. Beneath The Surface 11. Outcry 12. Piano Solo 13. Surrounded 14. On The Backs Of Angels 15. War Inside My Head 16. The Test That Stumped Them All 17. Guitar Solo 18. The Spirit Carries On 19. Breaking All Illusions 20. Metropolis Pt. 1 Roadrunner Records e-mailed guitarist John Petrucci and keyboardist Jordan Rudess to get their thoughts on these special shows. Roadrunner Records: You played four songs with a string quartet over the two nights. Who did the arrangements? Jordan Rudess: All the string parts were written by Eren Basbug, the young and talented Turkish musician that I discovered online through his beautiful orchestrations of DREAM THEATER's music and then his great work orchestrating and conducting the premiere of my own composition, "Explorations For Keyboard And Orchestra". For two of the songs we did live with the quartet ("Beneath The Surface" and "Far From Heaven") I had originally arranged and recorded quartet-like string parts from my keyboard, and that is what you hear on "A Dramatic Turn Of Events". Eren was able to take those two songs and really make sure what I wrote worked for real players, as well as add some nice touches! For the other two songs, "The Silent Man" and "Wait For Sleep", he created original quartet arrangements. Roadrunner Records: How much rehearsal time did you have with the quartet? John Petrucci: We played through each song with them a couple of times at soundcheck. We probably spent about an hour in total making sure they were comfortable and that they knew certain cues, etc. Jordan Rudess: We had one rehearsal before the first show. I had sent all the music to coordinator Luis Gorelik (who is a well known conductor in South America) and he helped organize the players. Roadrunner Records: How did their presence alter the way you guys in the band played those songs? Obviously they weren't just sawing away in the background; they were integral to the music, so…in what ways? John Petrucci: Honestly, we played the songs just as we have been and they followed us. On "Beneath The Surface" and "Far From Heaven", they basically played the arrangements that are on the album. Original arrangements were created for "The Silent Man" and "Wait For Sleep". Jordan Rudess: In our rehearsal, I was literally conducting them and we all worked quickly to get things into shape and make sure the players really understood the music and what was going to happen in the chain of events on stage. The good thing was that these four songs all really are totally suitable for real strings, so it was an easy conceptual/musical addition to our presentation. Roadrunner Records: Other than the new album (which was played almost in its entirety each night), the albums you played the most material from were "Images And Words", "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and "Awake". Why those albums, from your perspective? John Petrucci: We try to create a show that has a certain curve to it. The way that it begins, unfolds and concludes are all carefully thought about. We have so much material at this point that it's difficult to fit in songs from each album. Based on what we played on past tours as well as the flow and arc of the show, we thought these were the strongest choices. Jordan Rudess: There are so many factors that are in play to create a setlist. Generally, we all felt that we offered a night of music that was a well-balanced mixture of our material that not only spanned a lot of our albums but also flowed really well for the course of the evening. Roadrunner Records: On the second night, you guys played "Pull Me Under" as the encore, which you've been playing a lot more on tour this year than in the past few years… but only outside the U.S. Is that a song foreign audiences want to hear more than fans at home? John Petrucci: "Pull Me Under" always goes over, no matter what country we are in. It just has that kind of power and familiarity, I guess. We really thought that it sounded great with [new drummer] Mike Mangini playing it and wanted to share that with our listeners. Jordan Rudess: I don't know — but I will tell you that they literally were trying to rush the stage in Buenos Aires when we played it. It was nuts!
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-complete-live-at-luna-park-details-revealed/#rD4gtIOMJRGcO89B.99

      STONE TEMPLE PILOTS and new singer Chester Bennington kicked off their North American tour last night (Wednesday, September 4) at the Sands Bethlehem Event Center in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The band's setlist was as follows: 01. Down 02. Big Bang Baby 03. Vasoline 04. Dead & Bloated 05. Out Of Time 06. Silvergun Superman 07. Church On Tuesday 08. Big Empty 09. Sour Girl 10. Interstate Love Song 11. Pop's Love Suicide 12. Hollywood Bitch 13. Sex Type Thing 14. Sex And Violence Encore: 15. Wicked Garden 16. Piece Of Pie 17. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below. Guitarist Dean DeLeo told The Pulse Of Radio that STONE TEMPLE PILOTS were hoping to mix up their set list now that Bennington was on board. "You know, there's been songs that we've been unable to play on a lot of tours," he said. "So I think that's what's really exciting to us, is being able to play some tunes that Chester has the ability to bring to life." STONE TEMPLE PILOTS will release a new five-song EP called "High Rise" on October 8. The disc will be the second release featuring Bennington following current single "Out Of Time", which emerged last spring and went to No. 1 on the rock chart. The band fired singer Scott Weiland in February and sued him in May, accusing him of using the band's name to advance his solo activities, while claiming that his poor performances, late arrivals, and addiction struggles harmed the band's career. Weiland has countersued, claiming that the band cannot use the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS name without him.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video-stone-temple-pilots-and-chester-bennington-kick-off-north-american-tour/#Ugp1xHgSXRuAOqf1.99

      Multi-camera video footage of Philip Anselmo's (DOWN, PANTERA) August 22 performance at Tipitina's in New Orleans can be seen below. 2014 will mark the 20th anniversary of PANTERA's seventh album, "Far Beyond Driven", and the band is planning to re-release a special edition for fans. According to The Pulse Of Radio, Anselmo chatted about the album with Artisan News saying, "Considering its contents, it is the heaviest record to come in at No. 1, and yes, there is a fucking goddamn re-release coming up. I don't know anything, really, about it other than, yes, it's gonna re-released with live footage from said show, but I can't name the show yet, because I think it's a fight between two different shows. And you never know. I'm trying to think of specialties or whatnot that will be included as well." Anselmo went on to discuss the band's success saying, "The chemistry within PANTERA...In the early days, they were very guarded about what I said here and there. And then, finally, by 'Vulgar Display Of Power', it was, like, 'Just let me handle the lyrics.' And then by 'Far Beyond Driven', I was saying anything I fucking wanted to fucking really fucking sing about, man." Anselmo's first-ever solo album, "Walk Through Exits Only", sold around 8,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart. Produced by Anselmo and Michael Thompson, and recorded over the past couple of years at Philip's New Orleans studio, Nodferatu's Lair, with his band THE ILLEGALS — guitarist Marzi Montazeri (ex-SUPERJOINT RITUAL) and José Manuel Gonzales — "Walk Through Exits Only" is abrasive, aggressive, anthemic and 100% Anselmo.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/philip-anselmo-multi-camera-footage-of-new-orleans-show/#rX686UIZFSwkCIOo.99

      ALICE IN CHAINS' videos for the songs "Voices" and "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" can be seen below. Both tracks appear on the band's fifth studio album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", which sold 62,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. The disc follows up 2009's "Black Gives Way To Blue", which was the group's first all-new collection of material in 14 years. That CD opened with 126,000 units back in October 2009 to debut at No. 5. ALICE IN CHAINS was last in the Top Two with its self-titled 1995 set, which debuted at No. 1 on that year's November 25 chart, according to Billboard.com. It would be their final studio release with singer Layne Staley, who died in 2002. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" is ALICE IN CHAINS' second album with William DuVall on vocals. DuVall began touring with the group in 2006, four years after the death of Layne Staley from a drug overdose. ALICE IN CHAINS began working on the new disc in 2011, but the sessions for the album were delayed when guitarist Jerry Cantrell had to undergo shoulder surgery.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alice-in-chains-voices-and-the-devil-put-dinosaurs-here-videos-released/#cbsEszQ0eIvZtIlY.99

      KILL DEVIL HILL — the band featuring legendary drummer Vinny Appice (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL) alongside Rex Brown (PANTERA, DOWN) on bass, Mark Zavon (RATT, W.A.S.P., 40 CYCLE HUM) on guitar and Jason "Dewey" Bragg (PISSING RAZORS) on vocals — will release its sophomore album, "Revolution Rise", in North America on October 29 via Century Media Records. The CD was produced by KILL DEVIL HILL and Jeff Pilson (DOKKEN, FOREIGNER, DIO) and was mixed by Jay Ruston (STONE SOUR, ANTHRAX, STEEL PANTHER). The cover artwork was created by Sam Shearon, who has previously worked with ROB ZOMBIE, IRON MAIDEN and FEAR FACTORY, to name just a few. Says Brown of the new album: "This new KILL DEVIL HILL record is definitely one of my favorite moments of my career — it's got balls, great melodies, awesome guitar riffing and a low end that'll set your ass on fire! The album far exceeds our wildest expectations and we can't wait to take this music out on the road and share it with all of our friends and fans. Buckle your seat belts, we're all in for one hell of a ride!" "Revolution Rise" track listing: 01. No Way Out 02. Crown Of Thorns 03. Leave It All Behind 04. Why 05. Wake Up The Dead 06. Long Way From Home 07. Where Angels Dare To Roam 08. Stained Glass Sadness 09. Endless Static 10. Stealing Days 11. Life Goes On KILL DEVIL HILL will celebrate the new album release with an October 29 party and performance at The Roxy on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California. A fall tour will follow. Speaking to Skinny Music earlier this year, Brown stated about KILL DEVIL HILL's new material: "It's pure, unadulterated, hard, kicking-ass rock and roll, man. That's all I an say about it. It's gonna be amazing. The tapes I have, there's no compression, no EQ off the board. It's just non-stop rock and roll, man. That's all there is to it." KILL DEVIL HILL's self-titled debut album was released last year via Steamhammer/SPV. The CD landed at position No. 9 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. "Kill Devil Hill" was produced by Warren Riker, who is best known for his work with DOWN, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, SUBLIME and CATHEDRAL. The effort was made available in a standard CD edition, as an iTunes digital download, and double gatefold LP. According to drummer Vinny Appice, KILL DEVIL HILL's sound is "like a cross between BLACK SABBATH, ALICE IN CHAINS and a little bit of LED ZEPPELIN thrown in. It's heavy, but with a lot of cool hooks and melodic overtones, too." KILL DEVIL HILL is: * Jason "Dewey" Bragg (PISSING RAZORS) - Vocals * Mark Zavon (RATT, W.A.S.P., 40 CYCLE HUM) - Guitar * Rex Brown (DOWN, PANTERA) - Bass * Vinny Appice (HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, DIO) – Drums
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kill-devil-hill-new-album-title-cover-artwork-revealed/#XgE6CximThw92hm3.99

      Don Doty, the original lead singer of classic late '80s/early '90s California thrashers DARK ANGEL, has released the following statement regarding the band's upcoming reunion plans: "Our dearest fans, "It is with sadness that I see the events of the last days... and I cannot believe how far things have gone. "When I headed out to start a reunion, I would have never dreamed things would have gone this far. "I am saddened that you, our dearest fans, had to see this whole mess, and for my part, I apologize. "There were many reasons why I left [DARK ANGEL] after 'Darkness Descends' — family but also drugs. I had lost my way and did what I thought was best for me and my family. Perhaps that was selfish of me. "There had been at that time and afterwards other things going on in [DARK ANGEL], and should I be a lesser man, I would go and open that old can of worms. But it has been a long time, and some things should stay private for the sake of everyone involved. There is right and wrong on all sides, and that is all I shall say about this. "I had hoped that the old grudges would have laid long enough for us as a band to be able to get over them and remember the good times of our friendship and give our fans the reunion they had asked for. Sadly, I was wrong, and I will take this opportunity to apologize to our fans for my mistake. I thought we could all be friends again and I opened my arms to all of my old friends without excluding anybody. Sadly, the things that were said to my face were not the things that had been said behind my back, and this lead to the current mess. "I will not allow this to continue and stain our legacy any longer. The rest of the band have shown what they wanted, and I will obey their decision. "If there is no room for Don Doty in DARK ANGEL, I will find my place somewhere else. I did not imagine my return to music to happen outside of DARK ANGEL, but life is full of surprises. "I will not give up. "I wish my fellow members of [DARK ANGEL] all the best with a reunion that will hopefully go better than the one in 2002." DARK ANGEL's management issued a statement yesterday accusing Don Doty of displaying a "lack of responsibility" by posting "false information" and starting "unfounded rumors" that have been "creating confusion" among the group's fans. The management confirmed that DARK ANGEL will reform for a limited number of appearances in 2014 with a lineup that will feature Gene Hoglan (drums), Jim Durkin (guitar), Ron Rinehart (vocals) and Michael Gonzalez (bass). Guitarist Eric Meyer is also expected to be involved. Doty made an online posting earlier this week in which he claimed that Hoglan would not take part in the DARK ANGEL reunion because Gene was "unable to make the practices" due to his "many commitments." DARK ANGEL guitarist Jim Durkin said in a statement last month that any talk of the band's reunion was "premature," and added that "when I was last in the band, Ron Rinehart was my singer. And IF the band were to come back and continue. he would STILL be my singer. He was our rock when we needed him and there is NO WAY I would do this without him. He and I talk daily and are as close now as ever. If anything, all this talk has brought us all back into more frequent contact! Which is a wonderful thing." DARK ANGEL released two albums with Don Doty on vocals — 1984's "We Have Arrived" and 1986's "Darkness Descends" — before he exited the group and was replaced by Ron Rinehart (after a brief stint with Jim Drabos in 1987). The band issued two more studio LPs — 1989's "Leave Scars" and 1991's "Time Does Not Heal" — before calling it quits in 1992. Rinehart, Hoglan and Meyer reassembled DARK ANGEL more than a decade ago but were forced to abandon their reunion plans after health issues reportedly put an end to Rinehart's singing career. Asked what he has been doing since leaving DARK ANGEL in 1987, Doty told Germany's Radio Gehacktes last month: "It's a long story, and at the same time, it's a short one. I basically started a family and showed up to my last show [with DARK ANGEL] and told the guys, 'Hey, look, [I have a] baby [on the way] and I can't be on the road and do the family thing; it was just too hard for me. There were too many beautiful women in the world and there were too many other opportunities to go off the deep end, and I just could not do that. So with that being said, I took a step back and I told the guys, 'There will be a day and I will come back and we will finish what we started." Doty added that his reasons for wanting to put DARK ANGEL back together are pure. "I'm here for the fans, because they've been there for me and it's their turn," he said. "Let's get back and let's have some fun."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/don-doty-if-there-is-no-room-for-me-in-dark-angel-i-will-find-my-place-somewhere-else/#5CEXzlr8gcfJwrcx.99

      Los Angeles-based thashers WARBRINGER will release their fourth studio album, "IV: Empires Collapse", on October 28 in Europe and October 29 in North America via Century Media Records. "IV: Empires Collapse", the studio recording debut for former MANTIC RITUAL members Jeff Potts (guitar) and Ben Mottsman (bass) rounding off WARBRINGER's five-piece lineup, was recorded with producer Steve Evetts (SEPULTURA, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, SUICIDE SILENCE), mixed by Brett Eliason (PEARL JAM, HEART) and mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music (CANNIBAL CORPSE, HATEBREED, CONVERGE). The album's cover artwork, which can be seen below, was designed by Adrienne Rozzi. Comments WARBRINGER: "The artwork for 'Empires Collapse' came about from wanting to take a much more focused and simplistic approach. Previous WARBRINGER album covers are extremely detailed, busy works, so it was a conscious decision to have art that was the antithesis of what we had done before. John Laux came up with the concept, so we had our friend Adrienne Rozzi make up a sketch, which led to us having her follow through with the final piece. It's incredibly different from what most fans would expect for a WARBRINGER album cover, but we wanted the art to visually reflect the music. The piece reminds me of a tarot card illustration and sets a very cryptic, somber vibe which associates well with the music that ties into the album's title." "IV: Empires Collapse" track listing: 01. Horizon 02. The Turning Of The Gears 03. One Dimension 04. Hunter-Seeker 05. Black Sun, Black Moon 06. Scars Remain 07. Dying Light 08. Iron City 09. Leviathan 10. Off With Their Heads! 11. Towers Of The Serpent WARBRINGER will tour North America with KREATOR and OVERKILL between October 27 and November 29. Additionally, WARBRINGER has just been announced to appear at IRON MAIDEN's The Battle Of San Bernardino event on September 13, with additional performances by MEGADETH, ANTHRAX, TESTAMENT, SABATON and OVERKILL, making it a night to remember for fans of heavy/thrash metal. Said WARBRINGER about the opportunity: "It's an honor to be able to perform alongside one of heavy metal's most influential bands and we want to thank everyone who has given us their support in order to achieve this opportunity. It will be a monumental concert for us and all attending. Up the irons!"
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/warbringer-new-album-cover-track-listing-revealed/#6YtoPIHv16hcA2e4.99

      Fans of melodic, progressive hard rock have been waiting a long time for this: "I Will Survive", the new album by SEVENTH KEY, and the first new CD of studio recordings since 2004's "The Raging Fire". Spearheaded by longtime KANSAS bassist/vocalist Billy Greer and guitarist/keyboardist Mike Slamer (ex-CITY BOY, STREETS, STEELHOUSE LANDE), they are joined by drummer Chet Wynd and a slew of special guests. "I think the new CD is maybe a little bit more hard-edged and a little more progressive," says Greer, who remains an active member of KANSAS. " I was also able to enlist my KANSAS bandmate and friend, David Ragsdale, to play on four tracks. That, in itself, added a whole new element to the album." Formed in 2001 as a side project for Greer and Slamer (the two had played together in the early 1980s in STREETS with KANSAS vocalist Steve Walsh), SEVENTH KEY released an acclaimed self-titled debut but then went dormant again due to the member's previous commitments. The group resurfaced in 2004 with the compelling album "The Raging Fire" and a live CD/DVD the following year. "I Will Survive", with its prophetic title, re-establishes Greer and Slamer's commitment to SEVENTH KEY. "I wanted to do more music with Mike," said Greer. "We have a great friendship and we have a strong work ethic. When we get in the studio, things seem to always click." Part of SEVENTH KEY's musical magic comes in its ability to effectively blend both melodic hard rock and intricate progressive music. They deliver powerful songs and production values that always include big sonic landscapes. "I Will Survive" is scheduled for release on Frontiers Records on November 1 in Europe and November 5 in North America and will include the following songs: 01. I Will Survive 02. Lay In On The Line 03. I See You There 04. It's Just A State Of Mind 05. Sea Of Dreams 06. Time And Time Again 07. When Love Sets You Free 08. Down 09. The Only One 10. What Love's Supposed To Be 11. I Want It All SEVENTH KEY is: * Billy Greer: Bass, Lead Vocals * Mike Slamer: Guitars, Keyboards, Programming * Chet Wynd: Drums Special Guests: * David Ragsdale: Violin * Billy Trudel, Terry Brock, Bobby Capps, Barry "The Blade" Johnson: Background Vocals * David Manion: Keyboards
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/seventh-key-i-will-survive-details-revealed/#F6DPWgtXxBDftshp.99

      Total AC Blog recently conducted an interview with HALESTORM lead singer Lzzy Hale. An excerpt from the chat follows below. Total AC Blog: How does it feel to be the chick amongst the guys? Do you ever feel like you need any girl time or do you like it? Lzzy Hale: I like it! Too much estrogen makes it a little weird! I spend so much time with the guys that literally I become a crazy person when there are too many girls around. We're usually not touring with a bunch of girls. The last tour I had that was consistently with another girl was Carnival Of Madness last year with Amy Lee [EVANESCENCE]. Within the first five minutes of us meeting, it was shoes, boys, makeup, all these things pouring out of me that I never talk about! The guys in my band were, like, "You become a different person when Amy's around!" I like being a girl. I like being with my guys. We all meet in the middle somewhere. They're not über agro, they actually have really good hygiene [laughs] and for the most part, they enjoy everything that I like to do too. I think that just comes from growing up together. I've never taken being a girl in a band as a negative thing. It's nice to stick out like a sore thumb on whatever bill and it's nice to torture all of the guys that are on the tour with you because you can wear the high heels and they can't! It's a lot of fun! Total AC Blog: You are a role model to so many of your female fans. How does that make you feel? Does it freak you out at all or do you kind of just go with it? Lzzy Hale: I always err on the side of honesty. I'm sure I'm going to say something stupid over Twitter or something like that, if I haven't already. Either way, whether it's a bad influence or a good influence, I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. It's just too much work to keep up with this weird façade. People have kind of attached themselves to me because I represent something to certain people and it's so incredibly flattering. At first, it did freak me out to the point of where I was, like, "Should I say that?" I think the difference between the first record and the second record was kind of like the battle between that in my mind. The first record was über clean and a little vague. It was me trying to figure out if I should just say what I want to say or if I was going to get angry letters from parents. This last record that we did, "The Strange Case Of…", I just, for lack of a better term, just said "fuck it" and wrote what I wanted to write. I think that people gravitate more towards the honesty rather than if you're trying to be this squeaky, clean person. Hopefully I don't scar too many people! It's really flattering, because we see a lot of girls coming to our shows that are starting bands and started playing guitar and writing songs. It's really neat to see. I didn't have a whole lot of that growing up, which is part of the reason why all the people in my band are guys because I connected more to that and that's what there was. It's really neat to stand on the stage and see all these girls. I'm very proud.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/halestorm-singer-ive-never-taken-being-a-girl-in-a-band-as-a-negative-thing/#JCGecKmHOYcHz1SE.99

      Swedish hard rockers IMPERA will release their sophomore studio album, "Pieces Of Eden", on October 18 via Escape Music. The CD was produced by Johan "Impera" Kihlberg and was mixed by Lars Chriss (LION'S SHARE), who also plays guest guitar on the song "Goodbye" a cover of the track that originally appeared on Paul Stanley's (KISS) 1978 album. "Goodbye" features an additional guest appearance by Bob Kulick, who was also the guitarist on the song's original version. "Pieces Of Eden" track listing: 01. Beast Within 02. These Chains 03. All Alone 04. Smalltown Blues 05. Since You've Been Gone 06. Goodbye 07. Easy Come 08. You And I 09. This Is War 10. Fire And The Flame IMPERA is: * Tommy Denander (TOTO, PAUL STANLEY, MICHAEL JACKSON, ALICE COOPER) - Guitar * Matti Alfonzetti (JAGGED EDGE, SCOTT GORHAM, SKINTRADE, ROAD TO RUIN, RED WHITE & BLUES) - Vocals * J.K. Impera (BRUCE KULICK, GRAHAM BONNET, VINNIE VINCENT, JOHN CORABI, BRIAN ROBERTSON) - Drums * Mats Vassfjord (VINNIE VINCENT, JOHN CORABI, SCAAR, GRAND DESIGN, LANEY'S LEGION) - Bass IMPERA released its critically acclaimed debut album, "Legacy Of Life", last year through the U.K. label Escape Music. IMPERA is described as "the perfect amalgamation of everything that makes rock roll with the punches. A guitar player who, seemingly effortlessly, delivers stunning solos and riffs of that classic, timeless grit you thought were killed off by grunge. Pounding bass that will put you through the wall. Blistering drumming that's as solid as it is technically challenging. And on top of all that, add a vocalist that sings circles around the competition." IMPERA's style "lies firmly on a classic hard rock ground with a dose of strong melodies collected from the AOR world."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/impera-to-release-pieces-of-eden-in-october/#ZX6WtUlMowskhyEx.99

      Less than a month after it was announced that classic late '80s /early '90s California thrashers DARK ANGEL would reunite for a number of shows next year — including an appearance at the Keep It True XVII festival, set to take place April 25-26, 2014 at Tauberfrankenhalle in Lauda-Königshofen, Germany — the Keep It True organizers have canceled the band's participation at the event. Their official statement on the matter reads as follows: "There have been many turbulences around the DARK ANGEL reunion and their show at Keep It True lately. Right now it looks like there are two separate sections, with on the one hand Don Doty [vocals] and Eric Meyer [guitar], and on the other hand Gene Hoglan [drums] and Jim Durkin [guitar], who fight each other with almost daily statements about who is the real DARK ANGEL. We watched this quietly for some days and hoped that all will be sorted out, but it seems there is no satisfying solution for everyone. "Keep It True stands for many years for honesty and credibility and we fear that these actions around the DARK ANGEL reunion can put damage on the good name of the festival. So we decided that NO version of DARK ANGEL will play on Keep It True 2014. We do not want to be in the middle of a fight where there is no end in sight. "I hope you all understand our decision. We know some of you will be disappointed, but this is the only way for us. We will now look for a different Saturday headliner." DARK ANGEL's management issued a statement yesterday accusing the band's original lead singer, Don Doty, of displaying a "lack of responsibility" by posting "false information" and starting "unfounded rumors" that have been "creating confusion" among the group's fans. The management confirmed that DARK ANGEL will reform for a limited number of appearances in 2014 with a lineup that will feature Gene Hoglan (drums), Jim Durkin (guitar), Ron Rinehart (vocals) and Michael Gonzalez (bass). Doty made an online posting earlier this week in which he claimed that Hoglan would not take part in the DARK ANGEL reunion because Gene was "unable to make the practices" due to his "many commitments." DARK ANGEL guitarist Jim Durkin said in a statement last month that any talk of the band's reunion was "premature," and added that "when I was last in the band, Ron Rinehart was my singer. And IF the band were to come back and continue. he would STILL be my singer. He was our rock when we needed him and there is NO WAY I would do this without him. He and I talk daily and are as close now as ever. If anything, all this talk has brought us all back into more frequent contact! Which is a wonderful thing." DARK ANGEL released two albums with Don Doty on vocals — 1984's "We Have Arrived" and 1986's "Darkness Descends" — before he exited the group and was replaced by Ron Rinehart (after a brief stint with Jim Drabos in 1987). The band issued two more studio LPs — 1989's "Leave Scars" and 1991's "Time Does Not Heal" — before calling it quits in 1992. Rinehart, Hoglan and Meyer reassembled DARK ANGEL more than a decade ago but were forced to abandon their reunion plans after health issues reportedly put an end to Rinehart's singing career. Asked what he has been doing since leaving DARK ANGEL in 1987, Doty told Germany's Radio Gehacktes last month: "It's a long story, and at the same time, it's a short one. I basically started a family and showed up to my last show [with DARK ANGEL] and told the guys, 'Hey, look, [I have a] baby [on the way] and I can't be on the road and do the family thing; it was just too hard for me. There were too many beautiful women in the world and there were too many other opportunities to go off the deep end, and I just could not do that. So with that being said, I took a step back and I told the guys, 'There will be a day and I will come back and we will finish what we started." Doty added that his reasons for wanting to put DARK ANGEL back together are pure. "I'm here for the fans, because they've been there for me and it's their turn," he said. "Let's get back and let's have some fun."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/keep-it-true-organizers-pull-plug-on-dark-angels-appearance-at-festival/#lE4wlsm4POHwdTTC.99

      Legendary extreme-metal drummer Gene Hoglan (TESTAMENT, DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, DARK ANGEL, DETHKLOK) has set "The Atomic Clock: The Clock Strikes Two" as the title of his upcoming DVD. The disc will feature "a lot of the stuff I have been doing at my clinics," Gene told MediaMikes.com. He added: "For this release, I was able to get the licenses for the songs I am playing. Everything from DEATH, TESTAMENT and MELDRUM are going to be on there. The new DVD has a lot of depth to it, and I have tried to improve on everything included." The jam-packed DVD is available for pre-sale now, with several awesome package options. If that isn't enough, although Gene has footage chosen for "The Atomic Clock: The Clock Strikes Two", he's leaving it up to his biggest fans to really decide what they would like to see. Everyone knows an artist is nothing without their fans. After years of your faithful and much-appreciated support, Gene Hoglan wants give something back, so we are turning to you, his fans, for what you'd like to see next. As Gene continues the process of creating a bigger and better sequel to his first DVD release, he'd like to hear from you. Email streetteam@... and tell Gene what you want to see on the next DVD, and you will be given the chance to pre-order several packages. There are seven "levels" or packages that fans can pre-order the DVD with. Hoglan takes a moment to explain the portions of the second "The Atomic Clock" DVD that are set in stone: "I'd like to take a moment to tell you guys about something I'm extremely excited about, my upcoming DVD. It is going to be roughly two hours of awesome footage of not only me behind the kit playing, but tons of interviews with some the greats that I've had the honor to play with over the last couple of years. Guys from TESTAMENT, DETHKLOK, ANTHRAX, and many others. There will also of course be a load of tips and insights from me to hopefully propel players of all calibers (and instruments, for that matter) up to the next level. "Now, the most exciting part of the 'songs that I play' portion of the program, is that on the new DVD, I will be performing to the actual recorded tracks from some of your favorite bands that I have played for (or am currently playing). That's pretty darned cool, if ya ask me! "We at Hoglan Industries are eagerly looking forward to its release before the end of the year, and I will keep everybody regularly updated to its progress in the ensuing weeks." Hoglan is planning a series of appearances under the "The Gene Hoglan Experience" banner, set to take place this fall, where he will tell stories and play some of your favorite songs from your favorite bands that he has performed with over the years. Acording to a press release, "The Gene Hoglan Experience" is "an intimate gathering of metal fans brought together to celebrate the legacy and 30-year career of one of metal's most legendary drummers." Hoglan came up with this concept to give the fans what they want: the ultimate "Gene" experience. In addition to telling personal stories, as mentioned above, Hoglan will reveal some of his secret techniques and tips to help all drummers and musicians of all levels. You get to meet Hoglan and have access to his exclusive merchandise from Gene himself. You get to ask Hoglan anything you want! "The Gene Hoglan Experience" dates: Sep. 21 - Calgary, AB @ Vern's Tavern (part of Noctis 666 Metal Festival and Conference) at 3:00 p.m. Sep. 29 - San Diego, CA @ Royal Dive Sep. 30 - San Diego, CA @ School Of Rock Clinic (all ages) Oct. 01 - Hollywood, CA @ Whisky A Go Go Oct. 04 - San Jose, CA @ Milano's Oct. 17 - Coralville, IA @ West Music Coralville at 6:00 p.m. Oct. 19 - New Berlin, WI @ Cascio Interstate Music (part of Drummer Fest) at 11:00 a.m. (free) Hoglan is heralded and is inspirational to many, even outside of his drumming and now celebrates a 30-year career in music as metal's in-demand legendary drummer. Gene is the only metal drummer to accomplish two No. 1 records on the rock charts in 2012 with TESTAMENT's "Dark Roots Of Earth" and DETHKLOK's "Dethalbum III". Through a major lifestyle change, Hoglan has beat diabetes and lost over 160 lbs.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gene-hoglan-new-dvd-title-revealed/#JXRmOlhqHeXR0CjX.99

      Southern California metallers WINDS OF PLAGUE have completed work on their fourth album, "Resistance", for an Octoebr 29 release via Century Media Records. The CD was recorded with producer Will Putney, who has previously worked with SHADOWS FALL and SUICIDE SILENCE, among others. WINDS OF PLAGUE last year parted ways with drummer Art Cruz due to creative differences. Sitting behind the kit during the studio sessions for the new album was Brandon Gallindo (ex-DEAD IN EXISTENCE). WINDS OF PLAGUE will embark on a tour with BLEEDING THROUGH in early November. VIP tickets are on sale today and general-admission tickets are on sale Monday, September 9. WINDS OF PLAGUE's third full-length CD, "Against The World", sold 8,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 60 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released on April 19, 2011 via Century Media Records, the effort featured guest appearances from members of HATEBREED, TERROR, FOR TODAY, STRAY FROM THE PATH and former world heavyweight wrestling champion and sports entertainment legend Ultimate Warrior (who performs an epic spoken-word track entitled "The Warrior Code").
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/winds-of-plague-to-release-resistance-hit-the-road-with-bleeding-through/#hUXHT1WbQgWBcFf9.99

      "Go To Hell, For Heaven's Sake", the new video from the British metalcore act BRING ME THE HORIZON, can be seen below. The song comes off the band's fourth album, "Sempiternal", which sold 27,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 11 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD arrived in stores on April 2 via Epitaph. The five-piece, consisting of Oliver Sykes, Lee Malia, Matt Kean, Matt Nicholls and Jordan Fish, recorded "Sempiternal" over a three-month period with super producer Terry Date (LINKIN PARK, DEFTONES, SOUNDGARDEN). The band also brought in David Bendeth (A DAY TO REMEMBER, PARAMORE) to add to the all-star production lineup and mix the album. BRING ME THE HORIZON played a special intimate show in front of around 100 fans on August 22 at The Circle tattoo parlor in London, England for the third and final instalment of Converse's "Get Loud" music series.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bring-me-the-horizon-go-to-hell-for-heavens-sake-video-released/#CEaVUlyhLe4UJKph.99

      "Magnolia Blvd.", the new video from BUTCHER BABIES, can be seen below. The clip was directed by Daniel Andres Gomez Bagby, who has previously worked with BUCKCHERRY. "Magnolia Blvd." comes off BUTCHER BABIES' debut album, "Goliath", which sold around 3,300 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 107 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD came out on July 9 via Century Media Records. The Los Angeles-based band — frontwomen Carla Harvey and Heidi Shepherd, guitarist Henry Flury, bassist Jason Klein and drummer Chris Warner — wrapped its tour with MARILYN MANSON in late February and went straight into the studio with producer Josh Wilbur (GOJIRA, LAMB OF GOD, HATEBREED). In a recent interview with CrypticRock.com, Shepherd stated about "Goliath": "The album, as a whole, is very diverse. There is basically something for everybody. We all have different influences and everything is portrayed on this album. Jason [Klein, bass] loves death metal; Henry [Flury, guitar], in general, metal; I love nu-metal; and Carla loves classic metal. We all love every [kind of] metal but those are our favorite and those are where we came from. All our influences shine bright on this album. It's definitely a coloration of everybody's influences and everybody's love. We're all very proud of it in one way or another. There is something for everybody in it."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/butcher-babies-magnolia-blvd-video-released/#GidoI0zcA4Jhmv3e.99

      Cult German thrashers DARKNESS have reformed with a new lineup featuring two original members, Andreas "Lacky" Lackaw and Arnd Klink, alongside guitar players Bony Fertigmensch and Meik Heitkamp and bassist Christian "Speesy" Giesler of fellow German thrashers KREATOR. After a few years with EURE ERBEN, Lackaw and Klink decided to resurrect the old spirit and bring DARKNESS back to life. DARKNESS released three albums between 1987 and 1989 ("Death Squad", "Defenders Of Justice" and "Conclusion & Revival") and split after European tour with MUCKY PUP. In 2004, Arnd and Lacky teamed together to play thrash metal with German lyrics in the band EURE ERBEN but after the "Death Squad" 25th-anniversary show in Essen, they felt it was the right moment to reform DARKNESS. DARKNESS' "Death Squad" album, which many fans consider to be a Teutonic thrash metal masterpiece, was reissued by High Roller Records on blue and black vinyl. Every copy includes a lyric sheet and a huge poster.

      Canadian band PROTEST THE HERO, which recently made headlines when its Indiegogo campaign to fund a new album more than doubled its $125,000 goal with time to spare, will release its fourth studio CD, "Volition", on October 29 (one day earlier internationally). On the same day as the commercial release, the band will fulfill all of the orders associated with the Indiegogo campaign. Those CD and vinyl copies will feature artwork different from the commercial release and additionally will include the perks that were offered during the Indiegogo campaign. The long-awaited follow-up to 2011's "Scurrilous" (Vagrant), "Volition" has been licensed to series of worldwide partners who will help distribute and market it to both traditional stores alongside digital service providers, thus making the new record available on a worldwide scale. PROTEST THE HERO and Razor & Tie will join forces for the United States, while the album will be released in Canada through Sony Music and in the rest of the word via Spinefarm. "Volition" track listing: 01. Clarity 02. Drum-Head Trial 03. Tilting Against Windmills 04. Without Prejudice 05. Yellow Teeth 06. Plato’s Tripartite 07. A Life Embossed 08. Mist 09. Underbite 10. Animal Bones 11. Skies The cover artwork can be seen below. The band explains: "Our successful crowdfunding campaign allowed us a new level of both artistic and business minded freedom. "We had the pleasure of recording an album with budgets and deadlines created only by ourselves and we think the project benefited the world over because of that. "We can't thank our dedicated contributors enough for putting us in the driver seat. It has been an arduous process because we have had to create two completely different packages for this album. One will be the exclusive release which will only go to people who contributed to our campaign. The other is going to be the more standard release which we hope everyone will see on record store shelves (and digitally, of course). "We realized pretty quickly after recording that we were going to need some help with the distribution of the traditional release. We knew we wanted our album to be available around the world in as many formats as possible. With this in mind, and with our new found sense of control we have teamed up with some new pals. All of which are completely on board with our non-traditional view moving forward. No advances, no multi-record deals, no hidden agendas. "We hope you are able to get your hands on at least one of these versions of our new album, regardless of where you are in the world. It's scary, but wonderful to say...this album absolutely would not have been possible without the generosity and support of those who contributed to the making of our new album. We will forever be in your debt!” PROTEST THE HERO recently parted ways with its longtime drummer Moe Carlson. "[Moe] approached me one day — he approached everyone individually — and said, 'Just to let you know, I'm going back to school,' and I was like, 'Good for you. That's awesome,'" PROTEST THE HERO singer Rody Walker told AUX. "And then he said he didn't have any intentions of touring ever again. That kind of sucked. It was a shock, obviously, but he's been really good about the whole thing." The band explained in a post on its Facebook page: "When our gruelling studio schedule just wouldn't work with [Moe's] gruelling school schedule, we realized we would need to find a session player for the new album. With Moe's guidance and approval, we found us a nice match in [LAMB OF GOD's] Chris Adler! Having known Chris for a few years, and with he and Moe being drum buddies, it seemed like a perfect fit. We are happy to say that Chris has already come and gone from Canada and has left us with some beautiful drum tracks." Speaking to AUX, Walker explained how Adler's influence could make the new PROTEST THE HERO record its heaviest to date. "He's coming from such a different spot than us," Walker said. "We come to heavy metal through punk rock. It must have been strange for him playing some punk beats, and some of the punk beats he plays in a heavy metal way. This may come out being one of our more heavy-sounding records, or more metal-sounding record."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/protest-the-hero-volition-cover-artwork-track-listing-revealed/#OGL0GTKLV1XJ0u7D.99

      French death/black metallers TEMPLE OF BAAL will release their fourth full-length album, "Verses Of Fire", on October 22 in Europe and November 12 in North America via Agonia Records. According to a press release, "Verses Of Fire"'s "sound has been carefully manufactured by Andrew Guillotin in Hybreed Studios. Focusing on a more organic side thanks to the use of tube amps and natural drums, the production allows the natural old-school feeling of the band to shine through the whole album. Through ten tracks — lasting about an hour — TEMPLE OF BAAL explores a wide spectre of extreme metal: from the raging blast beats or the furious 'Bloodangel', to the thrashing mayhem of 'Golden Wings Of Azazel' or the double-bass-drum mid-tempo of 'Lord Of The Raging Seas'. Eerie, haunting black metal vibes are never neglected, though: 'The Tenth Aethyr' or the conclusive, nine-minute epic 'Walls Of Fire' bring the band back to their primal influence — the sinister sounds of early '90s black/death metal." This new album will be available as digipack CD, limited double LP and extra-limited gold LP (66 copies only). The band comments: "We've always seen black metal as the sacred music of the 'other side,' and this album is sacred to its very core. All its music and lyrics have been created after long hours of meditation and spiritual works. We are a temple, a place of worship, and this aspect drips through each and every minute of those 'Verses Of Fire'."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/temple-of-baal-announces-new-album-details/#43coOUY00DxmOJab.99