3064Aerosmith, Metallica, Soundgarden, Rob Zombie, Motorhead, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Sep 12, 2013
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, Steven Tyler appears today (September 10) on the syndicated "The Dr. Oz Show" and talks frankly about his long battle with addiction. Tyler recalls key moments in his journey, hitting rock bottom, and checking himself into the Betty Ford Center. He credits Dr. Harry Haroutunian — the physician director of the center — with helping him recapture his life. Dr. Haroutunian touches on how the AEROSMITH frontman has written the foreword to his new book "Being Sober", and explains the message he wants readers to take away. On the show, Tyler explains how he came to fall off the wagon after years of being straight: "I had a bunch of operations and simply didn't follow my program and I kept the drugs by the side of my bed so I just did more instead of doing what was prescribed. Remember, I'm a very good drug addict because I've done it for so many years." On today's show, Tyler makes a bold claim as to who's to blame for getting drugs out to the masses these days: "Y'know who the new dealers are? They're doctors. The dealers aren't on the street. It's not a shady guy on the street. Y'know how many doctors I've gone to and said, 'I, I, I'm in a 12-Step program, I've been sober for. . .' He goes, 'Ah, good for you!' On the way out he says, 'You need something to sleep tonight?' And I'm trying to tell him that I can't take anything that's mood altering, 'cause if I do, I like to ride it. We all do, right? You get on a water ski, you wanna go again next week. Kiss her — I wanna do it again [laughs]! It's 'euphoric recall,' it's not so odd. It's what humans — y'know, we're all touchy-feely; even those that say that they're not and men that don't cry, they still want to be touched by their mothers. Skin is the biggest organ in the body. So, we like that feeling of, y'know, opiates." Steven Tyler admits that he was left ravaged on every level from his years of addiction: "My sobriety cost me nothing less than everything. . . It's serious when you lose your kids, your children, your wife, your band, your job and you'll never understand why, because you're an addict. You can't figure that out." Check your local listings for "The Dr. Oz Show" stations and times.
      METALLICA's new movie, "Metallica Through The Never", made its world premiere last night (Monday, September 9) at the 38th annual Toronto International Film Festival. The film, a blend of concert movie and fictional narrative, stars Dane DeHaan as a member of METALLICA's road crew who is sent on a mysterious mission while the band performs at a sold-out arena and events outside grow more bizarre. A short video clip of the members of METALLICA being introduced prior to the screening can be seen below. Also available is footage of METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett talking about the film. Bassist Robert Trujillo told The Pulse Of Radio that the idea for a METALLICA concert film had been around for a while, but that the band wanted it to have something extra. "We felt that the missing ingredient was obvious to us and it was some sort of narrative," he said. "There needed to be something that co-existed with the music, so it goes beyond just another concert performance. So we took it a step in a different direction, kind of taking a page from PINK FLOYD 'The Wall' or 'Song Remains The Same' by LED ZEPPELIN, somehow creating our own version of that. And really it was trial and error." The 3D IMAX film will also play at Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas several days before it opens in limited release on IMAX screens around the country on September 27. The film will then expand to more theaters on October 4. The soundtrack, which features a number of METALLICA classics performed live in the movie, will be out on September 24. The two-disc CD will come out on METALLICA's own label, Blackened Recordings, also in digital and vinyl formats. The concert sequences for the movie were shot in August 2012 at two shows in Vancouver, Canada and feature a stage containing elements of many of METALLICA's previous live productions from the past 30 years.
      The first two episodes of "Hit The Lights: The Making Of Metallica Through The Never", a series of short films that will tell you everything you need to know about the making of METALLICA's new movie, "Metallica Through The Never", and the groundbreaking stage production, can be seen below. "Metallica Through The Never" made its world premiere last night (Monday, September 9) at the 38th annual Toronto International Film Festival. The film, a blend of concert movie and fictional narrative, stars Dane DeHaan as a member of METALLICA's road crew who is sent on a mysterious mission while the band performs at a sold-out arena and events outside grow more bizarre. Bassist Robert Trujillo told The Pulse Of Radio that the idea for a METALLICA concert film had been around for a while, but that the band wanted it to have something extra. "We felt that the missing ingredient was obvious to us and it was some sort of narrative," he said. "There needed to be something that co-existed with the music, so it goes beyond just another concert performance. So we took it a step in a different direction, kind of taking a page from PINK FLOYD 'The Wall' or 'Song Remains The Same' by LED ZEPPELIN, somehow creating our own version of that. And really it was trial and error." The 3D IMAX film will also play at Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas several days before it opens in limited release on IMAX screens around the country on September 27. The film will then expand to more theaters on October 4. The soundtrack, which features a number of METALLICA classics performed live in the movie, will be out on September 24. The two-disc CD will come out on METALLICA's own label, Blackened Recordings, also in digital and vinyl formats. The concert sequences for the movie were shot in August 2012 at two shows in Vancouver, Canada and feature a stage containing elements of many of METALLICA's previous live productions from the past 30 years.
      Official MetOnTour video recap of METALLICA's August 24 concert at Changi Exhibition Centre in Singapore can be seen below. The 16-minute clip includes a band photo shoot, a tuning-room segment, and "Broken, Beat & Scarred" from the show. The band's setlist was as follows: 01. Hit The Lights 02. Master Of Puppets 03. The Shortest Straw 04. Ride The Lightning 05. Fade To Black 06. The Memory Remains 07. Broken, Beat & Scarred 08. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) 09. Sad But True 10. ...And Justice For All 11. One 12. For Whom The Bell Tolls 13. Blackened 14. Nothing Else Matters 15. Enter Sandman Encore: 16. Creeping Death 17. Battery 18. Seek & Destroy The members of METALLICA gave a press conference in Singapore, just before the band's first-ever concert in China, where they were asked how they deal with the physical demands of touring after 30 years. Lead guitarist Kirk Hammett said, "I do a lot of yoga. We're all pretty physical. [Bassist Robert Trujillo] and I like to surf. We just got off a week-long stint in Bali, surfing a lot. You know, it's important to keep maintenance on the road — eat well, sleep well, and just make sure the engine inside is running well. It's really important. 'Cause the last thing I wanna do is drop on stage." Drummer Lars Ulrich added, "We have two guys downstairs who take care of stretching us and putting us back into shape — our necks and our arms and everything. They're among the two hardest-working guys in rock and roll. So we take all that stuff really seriously. I mean, if you could see our [tour] rider, it's carrots and strange vegetables and nasty fruit juices. It's not what it was back in the day, thankfully. But yeah, we do take [staying healthy] very seriously. Absolutely." Ulrich told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that his main concern about getting older as a musician was whether aging and other issues could eventually take their toll on him. "The thing that just freaks me out is I just don't know physically," he said. "'Jumping Jack Flash' and 'Satisfaction' — sure, I can probably play those when I'm 65. Playing 'Fight Fire With Fire' and 'Dyer's Eve' — I don't know. It's the unknown. I just don't know. And if it becomes a joke, or if it becomes just not physically possible to do, then hopefully we'll have the sense to bow out gracefully." Frontman James Hetfield told the press in Singapore, "We'll do this until we don't wanna do it anymore; it's as simple as that. There's no use doing something your heart is not in. But for us, we love what we do and we're blessed that way." METALLICA was in Toronto last night (Monday, September 9) for the premiere of the band's new film, "Metallica Through The Never". The 3D IMAX movie will open on September 27 at IMAX theaters and expanding on to additional screens on October 4. METALLICA will also play a special show at the Apollo Theater in New York City on September 21 to promote the release of the film.
      SOUNDGARDEN plans to take a break from touring after the band completes its current European trek, which began September 4 in Helsinki, Finland and ends on September 19 in London. But frontman Chris Cornell tells Gray Graff of GMI Rock that he's confident we haven't heard the last from SOUNDGARDEN. "You know, I think that the overall attitude about keeping it going and treating it, in a sense, the way that we wanna treat it to keep it going, that attitude seems to be really good," Cornell said (hear audio below). "I mean, there's nothing stopping us from continuing to make records, that's for sure, and continuing to play shows. We had a great experience doing [last year's 'King Animal'] album, and since we've come back together, everything has been kind of that way. There hasn't really been any of the kind of tension, specifically surrounding peripheral stuff, and I think it was a simple as us making the conscious decision to not be influenced by anything other than us four wanting to do it and not putting a business version of a timeline on it." SOUNDGARDEN has issued a new music video for "Halfway There", a song taken from "King Animal". "Halfway There" is the third single and video released from the disc, following "Been Away Too Long" and "By Crooked Steps". The video for the latter track was directed by FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl. According to The Pulse Of Radio, Cornell will launch a solo acoustic tour of North America on October 15 in San Diego, wrapping up six weeks later on November 30 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The shows will draw on material from all stages of Cornell's career — including the first-ever acoustic performances of tracks from "King Animal". Meanwhile, SOUNDGARDEN drummer Matt Cameron, who also plays drums for PEARL JAM, will hit the road with the latter group beginning on October 11 in Pittsburgh. The new PEARL JAM album, "Lightning Bolt", arrives on October 15. Shepherd issued his debut solo album, "In Deep Owl", on August 27. Guitarist Kim Thayil recently said he'll spend the band's downtime working on compiling the SOUNDGARDEN B-sides box set, which will collect songs from European and Australian singles, movie soundtracks and other sources.
      A video preview of the most exciting and horrifying attractions from Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare can be seen below. Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare — the ultimate Halloween music and horror event — will be held every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from October 10 to November 2 at FEARPlex in Pomona, just outside Los Angeles. Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare will feature 15 nights of music, culminating with a November 2 headlining performance by Rob Zombie himself. This bone-chilling experience will combine the most advanced haunted house attractions with a not-to-be-missed music festival from top artists in the realms of hard rock/metal, rock alternative, EDM, and Latin music. Each Thursday night will feature rock alternative music, Fridays EDM, most Saturdays will feature hard rock/metal, and most Sundays will be Latin music focused. Please visit GreatAmericanNightmare.com for the full list of music performances by date. A creative collaboration between masters of the macabre Rob Zombie and preeminent haunted house producer Steve Kopelman, the fully immersive haunted house experience will feature three attractions based on Zombie's own horror films: "Lords Of Salem Total Black Out", "The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto 3D" and "Haunt Of 1,000 Corpses". "The Great American Nightmare's Bloody Boulevard" will offer outdoor screenings of classic horror films, a DJ, food vendors, beer, wine and spirits, and much more, with freak show characters roaming throughout the grounds each night. Tickets for Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare are available starting at only $30 at GreatAmericanNightmare.com. Each ticket includes access to all haunted house attractions, concerts and Bloody Boulevard activities. Tickets will also be available for purchase onsite during the Los Angeles County Fair at Pomona Fairplex (August 30 - September 29). VIP packages are available for purchase at GreatAmericanNightmare.com. Hours for Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare will be 6:30 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Sundays, 6:30 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. FEARPlex (Fairplex) is located at 1101 W. McKinley Avenue in Pomona, California, centrally located in the heart of Southern California. Fairplex is also home to the LA County Fair, the largest county fair in the world.
      MOTÖRHEAD has selected "Heartbreaker" as the first single from its upcoming 21st studio album, "Aftershock". "Aftershock" will be released as a an official Classic Rock collectors fanpack that features the new LP in full plus a 132-page magazine that forms the "ultimate sleevenotes" to the new release, with extensive and exclusive interviews with Lemmy, Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell. Pre-order your copy now at this location (official on-sale date is October 21). Inside is everything you need to know about "Aftershock" and the world of MOTÖRHEAD in 2013: inside the making of album, new features covering all eras of the band's career from 1975 to 2013, and tons of previously unseen pictures. Fanpack edition includes: * New album "Aftershock" * 132-page magazine * Giant double-sided poster * Exclusive MOTÖRHEAD car sticker Plus, if your order is placed before 12:00 (GMT) on Monday, September 23, your 100% official collector's fanpack will come with an exclusive personalized poster featuring your name. "Aftershock" track listing: 01. Heartbreaker 02. Coup De Grace 03. Lost Woman Blues 04. End Of Time 05. Do You Believe 06. Death Machine 07. Dust And Glass 08. Going To Mexico 09. Silence When You Speak To Me 10. Crying Shame 11. Queen Of The Damned 12. Knife 13. Keep Your Powder Dry 14. Paralyzed Check out the cover artwork below. If you want to pre-order the fanpack but do not want your name to be included on the poster, you must email contact@... before 12 p.m. on September 20 to tell them that you do not want your name to be included in the Classic Rock Presents Motörhead: Aftershock fanpack poster. Due in North America on October 22, "Aftershock" was recorded at NRG Studios in North Hollywood, California and is described in a press release as "a true leveler, a crushing confirmation of everything MOTÖRHEAD stands for, marching from the dust storm to deliver 14 belting statements which see MOTÖRHEAD in perhaps their best writing form for years. There;s swagger, there's punch, there's speed and there’s dirty filthy grooves, Lemmy Kilmister, Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee showing clearly that MOTÖRHEAD is not simply a band, it's a genre!" "Steal it if you must, buy it if you can!" says Lemmy, whose pride in the album is so immense that guests to his home and dressing room in the last couple of months have been treated to extremely loud airings of the rough mixes, while Phil Campbell adds, "I really think the variation on the album shows that we've dug deep and produced some of our best work for a long time." "It is," says Mikkey Dee, "a really, really strong MOTÖRHEAD album, one that really does define everything this band stands for." MOTÖRHEAD canceled a handful of shows on its European festival tour last month after Lemmy suffered a haematoma (where blood collects outside of a blood vessel). The news of Lemmy's latest medical issue followed reports that he was also recently fitted with a defibrillator because of heart problems.
      Drummer Matt Sorum (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER, THE CULT) tells RollingStone.com that his new solo album will be released in January. "It's much more introspective than my usual heavy rock stuff," he says. It's more of a singer-songwriter thing. I play acoustic guitar, and it's a little mellower kind of album." In a January 2013 interview with Music Radar, Sorum stated about his upcoming CD: "I started writing it within the last couple of years. I went out to the desert because of Gram Parsons and all those guys — you know, the Joshua Tree, Palm Springs area — and I had an amazing time working there. I went to a trippy old hotel and wrote eight songs in five days. A lot of people don't know me as a songwriter, but I've always been a guitar player. I like to dabble with the acoustic. The stuff that I've written for VELVET REVOLVER — like 'Set Me Free' and 'Spectacle' and a few on the first record — those were done on an acoustic. "I made a record with another guy called 'Hollywood Zen', and that was my first attempt to do my own thing. I was a bit nervous, though, so I can't really say that it was my record — it's a collaboration. My main goal on this record is to write everything myself. "What's been happening with me is, I'm getting older, and I'm a different guy… I'm not on drugs and alcohol anymore. [laughs] I'm more spiritual. I'm thinking about the planet and caring about other people more, and I've got a charity… And that sparked a lot of lyrics. I have a song called 'Lady Of The Stone', which is about Mother Nature's perspective on what's happening to the planet. What would she say if she was watching? "I wrote another song called 'Land Of The Pure'. I was very struck by what happened with the girl Malala [Yousafza] from Pakistan. I wrote it about the girls in Pakistan — young girls all over the world — who are not being allowed to be educated. I'm going to have a singer named Atif Aslam, who's from Pakistan, sing on it. That's very eclectic. There's going to be a lot of percussion and orchestration. People are going to trip to it." "For the second part of my trip, I hung out on the beach. I stayed at a little hotel called the Surf and Sand Hotel — I used to go there in the early '70s with my grandparents. While there, I wrote a song called 'The Sea'. I remembered how much I loved the beach as a kid. Nothing seems to matter when you're on the beach. "I wrote another song there called 'Blue'. I was thinking, Why does the word 'blue' always mean sadness? I wrote it as a positive thing — the sky, the water. It's a Tom Petty-meets-David Gray kind of song. It's pretty cool. "And I wrote a song called 'Josephine', which is my grandmother's name. She and my grandfather were married for 69 years. The song is about him being in the orchestra pit, he was in the band, and her being a ballerina. They met in the 1920s. My grandmother just turned 100. The song is going to be all orchestra and piano. It's an ode to them." Asked why he doesn't play drums on the album, he said: "I feel like it's not right for this record. I want to have a producer's perspective, so I don't want to sit there and analyze my drumming. I've been rehearsing the band, I put a great band together. I've got a drummer named Brian MacLeod, who's played with everyone from Sheryl Crow to Linda Perry — he's been on tons of records. He's got more of that gift. I'm a rock drummer, but I can play other styles. He can play more organic, singer-songwriter stuff. As light as I play, I have a sound that might be more rock."
      STONE TEMPLE PILOTS bassist Robert DeLeo recently spoke to The Star-Ledger about the band's split with vocalist Scott Weiland and addition of LINKIN PARK's Chester Bennington. "[Chester has] made it clear that he grew up on our music," said DeLeo. "He knows it well. But the thing that sold me was that he told us that the only way he'd ever want to do this is if we honor the past and move forward in a creative direction. That's what we wanted, too." He continued: "It feels good to be productive again, and have someone who is focused. Our goal remains the same: We want to go out and play some loud, good rock 'n' roll." According to Robert, STONE TEMPLE PILOTS' decision to fire Weiland was made as a last resort once it became clear the DeLeos (Robert and guitarist brother Dean) and drummer Eric Kretz had no choice but to move on. "We had to do what we had to do," said DeLeo. "Believe me, it wasn't something we enjoyed doing. We had a lot of great years with Scott, and we made amazing music together. But somewhere along the line, the vision was lost. "There's a book in there — a really good book. It was a difficult decision, and we wish Scott the best." DeLeo also revealed that STONE TEMPLE PILOTS' 2010 self-titled album was recorded under less-than-ideal circumstances, with internal divisions and geographical difficulties making it hard for the band to recapture their initial energy and drive. "Guitar rock never went out of style for me, ever," he said. "I'm just trying to carry the torch from the great bands I learned from. Hopefully, younger bands will take the torch from us. It all comes around."
      Fan-filmed video footage of ASHES OF ARES' September 6 performance at the ProgPower USA XIV festival at Center Stage in Atlanta, Georgia can be seen below. ASHES OF ARES is the band featuring Matt Barlow (ex-ICED EARTH), Van Williams (ex-NEVERMORE) and Freddie Vidales (ex-ICED EARTH). The group's self-titled debut album was released on September 6 via Nuclear Blast Records. The CD was recorded in part at Morrisound Recording in Tampa, Florida with legendary producer Jim Morris (ICED EARTH, OBITUARY, JON OLIVA'S PAIN, JAG PANZER). It was made available as a limited CD in a digipak, including a bonus track, as well as in two different 2LP versions. "Ashes Of Ares" track listing: 01. The Messenger 02. Move The Chains 03. On Warrior's Wings 04. Punishment 05. This Is My Hell 06. Dead Man's Plight 07. Chalice Of Man 08. The Answer 09. What I Am 10. The One-Eyed King 11. The Answer (acoustic version; bonus track) ASHES OF ARES recently filmed a video for the song "This Is My Hell" with director David Brodsky (MUNICIPAL WASTE, WHITECHAPEL, KYLESA, REVOCATION). The clip was shot in an old steel foundry in Newburgh, New York along the Hudson River. Regarding the album title and the cover artwork, which was designed by drummer Van Williams, Van states: "We discussed a few ideas, but once we had developed the band logo, it felt right to use it as the introduction to the band along with the name as the focal point for our first album. The artwork, for me, reflects where each of us has been and how we are coming together from our pasts in this new endeavour." ASHES OF ARES is: Matthew Barlow - Vocals Freddie Vidales - Guitar/Bass Van Williams - Drums Gio Geraca - Guitar (session/touring member only) Dean Sternberg - Bass (session/touring member only) ASHES OF ARES is a band which represents the culmination of experiences, trials and tribulations of its founding members. Within months of their departures from the iconic metal bands ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE, the trio came together with a renewed drive to create a sound which is a true collaboration of their personal influences, ideas and visions. Armed with the knowledge acquired through years of the writing, touring and recording cycle, and with the support of an army of loyal fans across the globe, ASHES OF ARES is poised to carve out a new legacy and stand alongside those who have helped pave the way.
      ANDI DERIS & BAD BANKERS, the new project led by HELLOWEEN/ex-PINK CREAM 69 frontman Andi Deris, has completed mixing and mastering its debut album. Andi states: "We are so happy with the result we can't wait you guys out there finally hear it, too. Great, crispy sound... modern but not tooooo modern... the way it should be, in my humble ears." Andi previously stated about the new project: "It's been years I was looking for a band (all over the planet) that I could actually ask to record an album with me, only to find it on the little island I live on just a few months ago. Even more thrilling is the fact that the guys are between 19 and 22 years old. You won't believe it when you listen to the songs! "We all had and have a lot of fun with the image, even more during the photo session. "Obviously, we despise everything around banks, managers and bankers who are clearly responsible for the shit that goes on nowadays (and most certainly in our future), so it felt very good to vocally tell them what we think about them. Sure, therefore it's highly explicit, but, who gives a f... that's what they deserve, and it helps the music to really kick some ass." HELLOWEEN's new album, "Straight Out Of Hell", sold around 4,100 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 97 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD entered the Media Control chart in Germany at position No. 4 — the highest chart position in the band's history. It also landed at No. 4 in Finland and No. 2 on the international album chart in Japan. "Straight Out Of Hell" was released in Europe on January 18 and in North America on January 22.
      Jeff Keller Management LLC, the management company for FLOTSAM AND JETSAM and HIRAX, has announced that due to circumstances beyond the bands' and management’s control, the "Metal Apocalypse" European tour that was scheduled to feature both artists has been canceled. Says Jeff Keller: "Unfortunately, it was in both bands' best interest to not continue with the tour at this time. We apologize to the fans for this unfortunate circumstance, and I can assure the fans that both bands will be in Europe in 2014 for other touring and festival appearances." FLOTSAM AND JETSAM recently returned to Metal Blade Records to release their new album, "Ugly Noise". "Ugly Noise" is FLOTSAM AND JETSAM's eleventh full-length album, their first release on Metal Blade since 2001, and the follow-up to their 2010 album "The Cold". The record also heralds the return of original members Michael Gilbert on guitar and Kelly David Smith, who hadn't recorded with FLOTSAM AND JETSAM since "High" in 1997. Funding for the new FLOTSAM AND JETSAM album was aided by the PledgeMusic.com project, which encourages fans to contribute funds to the recording of albums and the artists themselves to donate to charity as a part of their fundraising. HIRAX will release its new album, "Immortal Legacy", on October 22 (six days later in Europe) via SPV/Steamhammer. It will be made available as a CD, gatefold colored LP and a digital download. Philip Lawvere, the artist behind such classic album covers as KREATOR's "Pleasure To Kill" and CELTIC FROST's "Emperor's Return", has designed the "Immortal Legacy" cover. Lawvere had done stunning illustrations for numerous albums and is best known for a slew of thrash metal offerings released on Noise Records.
      Greg Prato of Songfacts recently conducted an interview with guitarist Rick Wartell of Chicago doom metal legends TROUBLE. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below. Songfacts: It's been six years since the band's last release, "Simple Mind Condition". Why did it take such an extended period of time to release "The Distortion Field"? Rick Wartell: Well, first and foremost, we went through two rather important personnel changes — they were both vocalists. First Eric Wagner and then Kory Clarke. Until we got to Kyle Thomas. So that alone is a big change. It's a big step, and it takes time to get acclimated to a new vocalist and for a new vocalist to get acclimated to what we're doing. That, plus recording glitches, that kind of thing. And another reason was that we didn't have a record deal, so we didn't feel any pressure to make this happen overnight. We took our time and wanted to make sure we were completely happy with it before we released it. Songfacts: What would you say sets "The Distortion Field" apart from previous TROUBLE albums? Rick: When Bruce [Franklin, TROUBLE's other guitarist/original member] and I wrote the music for this album, we kind of had something to prove. We wrote it with an attitude and wrote what we really wanted to write without any outside influences whatsoever for the first time in a long time, let's just say that. And we really didn't care if people were going to dig it or not. We went in and said, "We're going to write what we want to write and let the chips fall where they may." We had to be true to ourselves and make ourselves happy with this record first and foremost, and that was the attitude we went in with. Fortunately, people are liking it at this point, so we're happy about that. Songfacts: How would you say Kyle compares to Eric, vocally? Rick: Well, they're both completely different. I think Kyle's more a power vocalist with a lot of range. Eric is more of a melody singer with a really high range. But with Kyle, I think it gives us the opportunity to do a lot more musically, because we don't have to worry about keys and key changes, key progressions and that kind of thing, because it just seems like he has more of a range than most singers I've heard out there, let alone Eric. I don't like comparing one against the other, because it's like comparing apples and oranges, really. They both have their really good qualities. Songfacts: Is Eric still on good terms with the band? Rick: Yeah. There's no bad blood between any of the band members and Eric Wagner at all. Never been a bad word said between us. People probably find that hard to believe, but we've all known each other for an awfully long time, so we all wish each other well. It's just a matter of what projects people want to work on. It's individual choices.
      On August 20, former PANTERA and current DOWN frontman Philip Anselmo was interviewed by I-Cee. You can now watch the chat below. 2014 will mark the 20th anniversary of PANTERA's seventh album, "Far Beyond Driven", and the band is planning to re-release a special edition for fans. According to The Pulse Of Radio, Anselmo chatted about the album with Artisan News saying, "Considering its contents, it is the heaviest record to come in at No. 1, and yes, there is a fucking goddamn re-release coming up. I don't know anything, really, about it other than, yes, it's gonna re-released with live footage from said show, but I can't name the show yet, because I think it's a fight between two different shows. And you never know. I'm trying to think of specialties or whatnot that will be included as well." Anselmo went on to discuss the band's success saying, "The chemistry within PANTERA...In the early days, they were very guarded about what I said here and there. And then, finally, by 'Vulgar Display Of Power', it was, like, 'Just let me handle the lyrics.' And then by 'Far Beyond Driven', I was saying anything I fucking wanted to fucking really fucking sing about, man." Anselmo's first-ever solo album, "Walk Through Exits Only", sold around 8,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart. Produced by Anselmo and Michael Thompson, and recorded over the past couple of years at Philip's New Orleans studio, Nodferatu's Lair, with his band THE ILLEGALS — guitarist Marzi Montazeri (ex-SUPERJOINT RITUAL) and José Manuel Gonzales — "Walk Through Exits Only" is abrasive, aggressive, anthemic and 100% Anselmo.
      Video footage of FIREWIND and OZZY OSBOURNE guitarist Gus G. (real name: Kostas Karamitroudis) demonstrating his signature BBE G Screamer overdrive pedal can be seen below. "The Green Screamer was working great for me, but I had ideas about how to make it even better for my tone," Gus said. "Paul Gagon and I collaborated, and we modified the input driver to the distortion circuit so that more lower-mid harmonics are focused where I want them. Now my new G Screamer pedal lets me drive even more harmonics, and they're focused right where I need them to be for a cleaner, tighter distortion. "The G Screamer delivers explosive power with precision. It's my new weapon. "Want a killer screaming lead tone like mine? Step on a G Screamer!" For more information about the G Screamer, visit bbesound.com.
      Italian heavy rockers LACUNA COIL have entered the studio with producer Jay Baumgardner (P.O.D., SEVENDUST, EVANESCENCE, PAPA ROACH) to begin recording their new album for an early 2014 release via Century Media Records. After the first days of recording, the band is already happy with the magic happening in the studio. Cristina Scabbia (vocals): "I am so excited to work on new stuff… "I am sure a lot of people will be mesmerized by the cinematic vibe of the new album that's underway. "I'm very happy to have the chance to work with Jay. Not only is he a pro in what he does, but I am just loving the fact we are going to experiment with new sounds and are getting a different point of view about our art. We're swamped with the music already... "LACUNA COIL is back, baby!!!” Andrea Ferro (vocals): "We met Jay a few years ago in L.A. and had a really positive feeling about him, as he has produced and mixed some of my favourite records and some very relevant rock/metal albums. "We have decided to work with him, because he has the ability to work together with the band towards a common vision without driving the band away from their sound. "In the studio, there is the right energy that allows common people to achieve uncommon results!" Cristiano "Pizza" Migliore (guitar): "Yeah, we're very excited about finally recording new songs — and I can assure you that the new stuff kicks ass!" LACUNA COIL plans on completing the recording sessions for the new album before joining the "Tragic Illusion Tour" that will celebrate PARADISE LOST's 25th anniversary. A few days earlier, they will perform at the Metal Female Voices Fest in Belgium. LACUNA COIL's latest album, "Dark Adrenaline", sold around 20,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 15 on The Billboard 200 chart. It marked the band's second CD with producer Don Gilmore (LINKIN PARK, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE) at the helm. "We changed producers on our last album, 'Shallow Life', and we wanted to work with Don," Scabbia told KNAC.COM. "I think that we wanted to change producers mainly to see what we could do with a different person. A producer is much like a teacher and we wanted to learn something new and we found that our goals and Don's were much the same. When listening to 'Dark Adrenaline', I can say that there is so much different. We are more experienced now and more confident in our sound and we get inspired to try to do more with each new record."
      FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH has set November 19 as the release date for "The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell Volume 2", the second half of the Las Vegas band's two-album set. Pre-orders for the new disc will start on Tuesday (September 10), while the first single from the CD, "Battle Born", has just arrived at rock radio stations. The song's official video will arrive next week. "The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell Volume 2" track listing: 01. Here To Die 02. Weight Beneath My Sin 03. Wrecking Ball 04. Battle Born 05. Cradle To the Grave 06. Matter Of Time 07. The Agony Of Regret 08. Cold 09. Let This Go 10. My Heart Lied 11. A Day In My Life 12. House Of The Rising Sun Even though the band recorded two albums worth of material this time around, singer Ivan Moody told The Pulse Of Radio he's not a fan of working in the studio. "No, I don't spend a lot of time in the studio, man," he said. "I truly don't. I'll be in there when I have to. I hate the containment, I can't stand the schedule crap. The monotony drives me frickin' crazy, you know, 'Do it again, do it again, let's try that again,' and it's just, it's so frustrating to me. Sitting in the booth and feeling like, basically it's just a cold, dead coffin, and a lot of the time people want to know why my lyrics are so angry — that has a lot to do with it." The first half of "The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell" came out on July 30 and debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard album chart, selling 113,000 copies in its first week of release. The first single from "Volume 1", "Lift Me Up", featured JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford and hit the top of the rock radio chart. "Volume 1" has sold more than 210,000 copies to date. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH's three previous albums have all gone gold for sales of 500,000 copies or more. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH will kick off a North American fall tour at the Aftershock Festival in Sacramento, California on September 15.
      On September 7, CC Getty of the "Metalheads United" show on MetalNationRadio.com conducted an interview with Sam Dunn of Banger Films Inc.. You can now listen to the chat using the widget below. Dunn is currently working on the "lost" episode of the "Metal Evolution" series focusing on "Extreme Metal". The episode will take viewers on an unprecedented journey across Europe and North America to tell the story of metal's most aggressive and misunderstood sub-genre. After an enormously successful Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign raising nearly $40,000, Grammy-nominated and Juno-winning Banger Films is embarking on a final push to create the "Extreme Metal" episode. "Our first Indiegogo campaign was a huge success and we were blown-away by the support of the metal community," says Dunn. "The research, writing, travel and filming is now complete and we've captured some amazing interviews and footage. But we need to turn this footage into an episode!" The new campaign kicked off August 9. Details of the campaign, including a brand-new trailer featuring exclusive footage from Banger's "Extreme Metal" filming trip, can be found here. Originally broadcast on VH1 Classic (USA) and Much More Music (Canada), Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn's series "Metal Evolution" presented 11 episodes based on the Heavy Metal Family Tree originally shown in their groundbreaking documentary "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey". Host and metalhead-turned-anthropologist Dunn crisscrossed the globe exploring the vast history of heavy metal across its 40-plus year history, covering everything from the pre-history of metal and shock rock to grunge and thrash metal. But one very important episode was left out: "Extreme Metal". "Some of the networks felt that extreme metal was too heavy or too niche. We're out to prove that extreme metal is metal's most vital sub-genre and that metal would probably die without it!," says Dunn. Tom Gabriel Warrior, legendary frontman for extreme metal bands HELLHAMMER, CELTIC FROST and TRIPTYKON, was interviewed by Dunn for the episode. "It was an absolute honor and a pleasure to host Sam and his outstanding team at my place in Zurich," said Tom. "That extreme metal has been overlooked in this series so far is a scandal. This episode is utterly overdue!" Bands appearing in the episode include VENOM, CELTIC FROST/HELLHAMMER, SLAYER, NAPALM DEATH, CARCASS, DEATH, MORBID ANGEL, OBITUARY, DARKTHRONE, MAYHEM, EMPEROR, DIMMU BORGIR, CRADLE OF FILTH, ENSLAVED, GOJIRA and more. The episode will also feature some renowned locations in the history of extreme metal, including Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida, as well as travel footage from Norway, Switzerland, U.K., U.S., and Hellfest (France), one of the world's biggest metal festivals. Contributors' support for the new Indiegogo campaign will cover costs of finishing the episode which includes editing, archival and music licensing, onlining, sound mixing and other post-production costs. "People are often surprised by how much making quality film and TV costs," says Dunn. "It requires a lot of hard work from a team of talented people to ensure we make the best possible show. 'Extreme Metal' deserves the same high-production value and attention to detail that we gave the other 'Metal Evolution' episodes. I'm not getting paid to make this episode but what matters to me is that the 'Metal Evolution' series is finally completed!" For more information, visit BangerFilms.com.
      The current special exhibition at Geomuseum Faxe in Faxe, Denmark about fossils that are named after rock stars is featured at this year's British Science Festival — which is being held September 7-12 in Newcastle — as an example of outreach in scientific exhibitions. The British Science Festival is one of Europe's largest celebrations of science, engineering and technology, with over 250 events, activities, exhibitions and trips taking place over a week in September, each year in a new town. Esben Horn, founder of 10Tons Aps, which built the models, says that the reaction from the scientific community has been great, and everybody has admired his fantastic creations of the about 400 million years old worms Kingnites Diamondi (named after King Diamond) and Kalloprion Kilmisteri (named after Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister). The background for the exhibition is the old scientific tradition that when a scientist discovers a new and unknown fossil, he gets to give it a scientific name. Some choose a name that reflects the shape of the animal, some choose a name that relates to where it's found, and others choose to name them after their favorite rock stars. The resulting exhibition, "Heavy Metal And Punk Fossils", explores this more amusing part of natural history by focusing on a series of bizarre fossils that all are named in honor of rock stars. One of the pieces on display is a 420-million-year-old worm with huge jaws, which carries the name Kingnites Diamondi, named by Professor Mats Eriksson, from Lund, Sweden, after the Danish metal maestro King Diamond. Another equally old and ferocious-looking worm is named Kalloprion Kilmisteri, after Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of MOTÖRHEAD. Other fossils that are portrayed in the exhibition are named after members of AC/DC, BAD RELIGION, SEX PISTOLS, and RAMONES. And a fiercely looking dinosaur, Masikasaurus Knopfleri, is named after Mark Knopfler from DIRE STRAITS. The exhibition portrays the story behind the fossils, the rock stars and the scientists behind the names, and the funny anecdotes about why they choose the names they did. The exhibition is being held as a cooperation between Dr. Jesper Milàn, curator at Geomuseum Faxe and Esben Horn from 10Tons Aps, a company specializing in zoological and palaeontological reconstructions who built models for the exhibition. Professor Mats Eriksson from Lund, Sweden, Dr. Gregory Edgdecombe, Natural History Museum in London and Dr. Jingmai O'Connor from Institute of Vertebrate Palaeontology and Palaeoanthropology in Beijing have been scientific supervisors on the project. The exhibition opened on June 9 at Geomuseum Faxe in Denmark, where King Diamond himself took part in the festivities and exposed the model of the animal named in his honor. Museum curator Jesper Milàn from Geomuseum Faxe says: "It has been great fun to create this exhibition together with Esben Horn, and I am very pleased about how well it has been received, both in the scientific community and among rock fans. We can defintly see an increased number of visitors wearing heavy metal t-shirts at the museum after we opened the exhibition. "The exhibition can be seen at Geomuseum Faxe until the spring, and we are currently negotiating with the Natural History Museum in Oslo about the possibility that they can display it next summer."
      Atlantic recording group HALESTORM has unveiled details of its new EP. "ReAniMate 2.0: The CoVeRs eP" will arrive on October 15. The EP marks the acclaimed hard rock band's first new release since their stunning Grammy Awards triumph earlier this year, as well as the follow-up to 2011's "ReAniMate: The CoVeRs eP". As with its predecessor, "ReAniMate 2.0: The CoVeRs eP" sees HALESTORM putting their distinctive brand on a strikingly eclectic collection of classic songs, including legendary tracks by JUDAS PRIEST, AC/DC, PAT BENATAR, FLEETWOOD MAC, MARILYN MANSON, and DAFT PUNK. "Like our first 'ReAniMate' EP, the songs included here are a collection of both our favorite songs and songs to challenge ourselves," said HALESTORM frontwoman Lzzy Hale. We decided to go more 'bare bones' with this EP, meaning minimal production with live, gritty performances. We recorded this EP the week of the Grammys, so the excitement and debauchery you hear through your speakers is very real. We hope all our fans have as much fun with 'ReAniMate: 2.0' as we did!" "ReAniMate 2.0: The CoVeRs eP" track listing: 01. Dissident Aggressor (originally performed by JUDAS PRIEST) 02. Get Lucky (originally performed by DAFT PUNK) 03. Shoot To Thrill (originally performed by AC/DC) 04. Hell Is For Children (originally performed by PAT BENATAR) 05. Gold Dust Woman (originally performed by FLEETWOOD MAC) 06. 1996 (originally performed by MARILYN MANSON) 2011's "ReAniMate: The CoVeRs eP" contained covers of tracks from SKID ROW, LADY GAGA and GUNS N' ROSES. Singer Lzzy Hale told The Pulse Of Radio that recording other artists' songs helps her own writing. "There's just nothing like singing and playing and picking apart an already proven amazing song," she said. "I think it helps you as a songwriter. I'll write a song and be like, 'Well, is that as good as HEART's 'All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You', and I'll have to be like, 'No, back to the drawing board.'"
      Fans are intivited to join legendary BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward on October 26 for a special night as he discusses his fine art debut collection, "Absence Of Corners". The event will be held at the first U.S. gallery to showcase his collection, the highly acclaimed Annapolis Collection Gallery, located at 55 West St. on Gallery Row in Annapolis, Maryland. This event is free to the public. If you plan to attend this special evening, RSVP by providing the information requested at BillWardDrumArt.com. An extensive process from start to finish, "Absence Of Corners" took nearly a year to complete. Working with Los Angeles art team SceneFour, Ward utilized a sophisticated formula to create the collection's visuals, using an array of drumsticks and rhythmic accessories that produce light, much like a painter utilizing brushes and oils. The movements featured within the captured rhythms are then studied and developed into abstract artwork that showcases a dimension not normally seen by the human eye. Each piece in this limited-edition collection is then numbered. All are signed by Ward. Ward says about the project: "When I'm working on new ideas, musically much of what's played is guided by a visual appearance or shape. Since my early childhood, I've played drums in visuals as well as sound. When I write, there's always an image, sometimes a color attached to what's being created. "I've never 'listened' to bass notes; I 'feel' them. The keyboard's black notes are dark to me and represent many sad emotions. These examples are simple, natural, childlike applications that have stayed with me. "When SceneFour approached me about doing this project, it sounded like an adventurous progression. I am delighted with the captured expressions from my head and my heart. Their arrival onto canvas is beautiful." To develop the art collection, Ward utilized the expertise of art team SceneFour. Based in Los Angeles, SceneFour specializes in working with music visionaries on the creation of fine artwork. SceneFour's previous art collaborations have included releases with Chuck D, Bootsy Collins, Page Hamilton and The RZA. Over the last several years, SceneFour's focus has been on the development and publishing of rhythm on canvas collections, with Ward's collection being the largest release to date with a total of 18 different pieces featured and ranging in size (30" x 18" to the epic 85" x 30"). Ward claimed that he sat out the current BLACK SABBATH reunion because of unfair contractual terms, although the members of SABBATH have hinted in other interviews that he wasn't physically up to the task. Ward was on board for the reunion when it was first announced in November 2011, but backed out soon after. SABBATH has used Ozzy's regular touring drummer Tommy Clufetos since then for live work. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk laid down the drum tracks on SABBATH's new album, "13", which came out June 11.
      American hardcore metallers PRO-PAIN will release their new studio album, "The Final Revolution", on November 25 in Europe and December 3 in North America via SPV/Steamhammer. According to vocalist/bassist Gary Meskil, PRO-PAIN's 14th studio recording marks the band's return to its old form. "The music is quite dark, and the groove and tempos are very reminiscent of the classic PRO-PAIN style as opposed to our last album, 'Straight To The Dome', which was a bit more thrashy," he says. "The Final Revolution" was recorded, mixed, and mastered by V.O. Pulver (GURD) from August 18 to August 29, 2013 at Little Creek Studio in Gelterkinden, Switzerland. Meskil wrote all of the music and lyrics at his home in Sarasota, Florida. "In order to keep things interesting, I decided to take the reins and handle all of the writing duties alone this time," he says. "It's the first PRO-PAIN album since the '90s in which I've written everything." The standard "The Final Revolution" release will feature twelve brand-new tracks. There will be other configurations available as well, in the form of a digipak and gatefold album. Those configurations will contain some bonus material (including live tracks plus a UK SUBS cover), foldout poster, etc. Meskil adds: "I'm sure the fans will love it!" PRO-PAIN will play some Florida shows in October, which will mark the band's first U.S. gigs in more than four years. The band also has a European tour scheduled from November 29 until December 21, with ZUUL FX (France), KOMAH (Belgium), and SOULLINE (Switzerland) supporting. Meskil concludes: "We hope everyone will enjoy our new album as much as we do! See you on tour!"
      Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pro-pain-to-release-the-final-revolution-in-november/#U7XLdIR6RfvhpOT9.99
      Multi-camera viideo footage of reunited Swedish heavy rockers TRANSPORT LEAGUE performing on June 29 at Virgin Oil in Helsinki in Helsinki, FInland can be seen below (clip shot and edited by Timo Halo). TRANSPORT LEAGUE's latest album, "Boogie From Hell", was released digitally on May 20 via frontman Tony Jelencovich's (DEATHDESTRUCTION, B-THONG, MASSIVE AUDIO NERVE, MNEMIC, ICON IN ME) Hoffa Entertainment. A physical CD was also printed for release through the Bengans record store. "Boogie From Hell" was tracked over a 17-month period and was mixed by Svein Jensen at Grand Recordings in Gothenburg, Sweden. The CD's sound is described in a press release as "groovy, shaky-boogie-rock 'n' roll metal … for the fans of CLUTCH, CATHEDRAL, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, MUSTASCH and even VOLBEAT." TRANSPORT LEAGUE will embark on a short tour of Sweden and The Netherlands at the end of the month. Guitarist Peter Hunyadi will be forced to sit out most of these shows due to "serious health problems, but will soon be on his feet again." Filling in for him on the road will be Dan Johansson (GENEROUS MARIA, MARY BEATS JANE). The band states: "We are really looking forward to play some shows again, and we are very happy that the album has been getting raging reviews all over, from both media and fans." TRANSPORT LEAGUE 2013 is: Tony Julien Jelencovich - Vocals, Guitar Lars Häglund - Bass Mattias Starander - Drums Peter Hunyadi - Lead Guitar
      Chicago-based metallers DIRGE WITHIN have changed their name to THE BLOODLINE. Comments the group in a statement: "The birth of of this ba

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)