3056Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, KISS, Metallica, Megadeth, Nirvana and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Aug 21, 2013
      Jim Harrington of the San Jose Mercury News recently conducted an interview with the legendary BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.
      On BLACK SABBATH's comeback album, "13", reaching No. 1 album on the U.S. chart earlier this year:
      Iommi: "We are very pleased. It's just quite a shock to have our first No. 1 record (in the U.S.) after being around for 45 years."
      On why BLACK SABBATH's 2001 attempt at a new studio album was unsuccessful:
      Iommi: "It just wasn't right. Nobody was on the right page. So, we abandoned the whole idea. But I always thought — or, at least, really hoped — we would do another album."
      On the Ronnie James Dio-fronted version of BLACK SABBATH recording and touring under the name HEAVEN & HELL:
      Iommi: "I didn't want to live on the BLACK SABBATH name with that lineup, because it stood for itself. And, of course, we went out as HEAVEN & HELL because we weren't playing any of the Ozzy [Osbourne] stuff. All the stuff we were doing was with Ronnie."
      "Ronnie was a superb singer — one of the best. It's a sad ending. But Ronnie did give it his all, right to the end."
      On drummer Bill Ward's absence from the "13" recording sessions:
      Iommi: "It would've been nice to have had Bill involved. But we waited long enough for Bill, and what can we do? We can't make him do it. It was his decision. It was sad."
      On how "13" stacks up to BLACK SABBATH's classic albums:
      Iommi: "We haven't done this album just to do one, because we didn't need to do one. We wanted to do one for ourselves. I think it holds up. We love all the stuff we've done (on the album). That's the only way we could do it. Everybody had to be 100 percent into it and really want to do this album. Everybody had to be on the same page."
      On touring despite being diagnosed with lymphoma in January 2012:
      Iommi: "To be honest, I was wondering whether I could do (the tour) as well. I have to treat life very differently now. This, for me, has been a big challenge. So far, it's been OK. The medical thing is still going on. It'll be ongoing, really, for life. It's not going to go away. I just have to try to treat it. So I go back to England every seven to eight weeks for a treatment. Then it takes 10 days, two weeks, to start feeling normal again. Then we go back out on the road."
      "My whole life has changed. My attitude has changed toward everything. Life becomes a lot more precious. I appreciate when we've got the opportunity to get together and be onstage and play and do what I like to do.
      "I think my illness, in one way, has helped everybody, because it's brought the reality of you really don't know how long this is going to last. It was easy to take things for granted before. I think everyone now appreciates what we've got and what we get to do."
      Bass Player Live! 2013 is scheduled for November 9 and 10 in Hollywood, California. The annual event will feature musician clinics and exhibitors at S.I.R. Studios and will be highlighted by the November 9 Bass Player LIVE! Concert & Awards Show presented by Hartke. This all-star concert will take place at the historic Fonda Theatre and will honor heavy metal legend, BLACK SABBATH's Geezer Butler, and rockabilly bass legend Lee Rocker, while jazz-rock phenom Tal Wilkenfeld will be presented with the "Young Gun" award.
      Tickets are on sale now at BassPlayerLive.com. Weekend package tickets that include the concert and awards show along with all clinics and exhibits are available for only $90.
      The Bass Player LIVE! concert will feature an all-star band of rock luminaries performing with BLACK SABBATH's Geezer Butler, including:
      * Lee Rocker (STRAY CATS)
      * Billy Sheehan (THE WINERY DOGS, DAVID LEE ROTH)
      * Rob "Blasko" Nicholson (OZZY OSBOURNE)
      * Buzz Campbell (LEE ROCKER)
      * Charlie Benante (ANTHRAX)
      * Corey Taylor (STONE SOUR, SLIPKNOT)
      * David Ellefson (MEGADETH)
      * Frank Bello (ANTHRAX)
      * John "J.D." DeServio (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)
      * Kerry King (SLAYER)
      * Rex Brown (KILL DEVIL HILL, PANTERA)
      * Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT)
      * Tal Wilkenfeld
      * Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)
      Doors for The Fonda Theatre open at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 9 and the concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
      The Bass Player LIVE! clinics and exhibitors will be located at S.I.R. Studios on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, California on Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Bass players of all ages, levels and styles are invited to attend.
      "Bass Player LIVE! is the biggest and baddest bass event of the year," says Bass Player editor Brian Fox. "And this year's lineup is our heaviest yet.
      "When it comes to hard rock bass playing, Geezer Butler wrote the book. That he continues to perform with every bit the raw intensity of his early days in BLACK SABBATH is an inspiration for players of all ages and all styles.
      "With the STRAY CATS, Lee Rocker took the upright bass — already one of the coolest instruments ever — and somehow made it even more hip, slapping the snot out of it to codify the sound of rockabilly bass.
      "To our ears, Tal Wilkenfeld personifies the bright future of rock bass. From her work with Jeff Beck, Herbie Hancock, and Joe Walsh to her fleet-fingered solo work, Tal's refreshing fusion of jazz, soul, funk, and rock is something we've had our ears and eyes on for a long time now.
      "We're thrilled and honored to have these three artists anchor an evening of amazing performances."
      Pilot, entrepreneur and IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson will be the keynote speaker at the National Leadership Summit, set to take place October 22 at Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland.
      National Leadership Summit is described as a one-day intensive forum devoted to exchanging ideas about how senior executives can engage in passionate and creative leadership for innovation, survival and growth — whether in the private, public or non-profit sectors.
      Bruce left IRON MAIDEN in 1993 in order to pursue a solo career, his passion for fencing and an interest in becoming a pilot. Bruce rejoined the band in 1999 and has gone on to release four albums; despite this, he hasn't stopped flying Boeing 757s.
      Bruce is very keen to speak on his projects tying it in with business start-up, entrepreneurship and business creativity. In addition, he is willing to talk about the parallels between his music and business careers. He is also able to deliver team building experiences focused around his flight simulator.

      According to MyrtleBeachOnline.com, Kiss Coffeehouse — the specialty coffee retailer operating at Broadway at the Beach, an entertainment complex in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina — will close at the end of September.
      "It's not that we didn't do well," Matthew Goldschmidt, the store’s general manager explained the reason for leaving, "it was just a steady decline."
      Goldschmidt said that everything in the store, which includes KISS memorabilia, is marked down to sell.
      Back in February, Kiss Coffeehouse was honored for the fourth consecutive year in the "Best Of The Grand Strand" competition (in the Specialty Food & Drink - Best Coffee Shop category) in Myrtle Beach. Over 56,000-plus total votes were cast by both locals and tourists alike, and 1,000-plus businesses competed for best-of honors in 68 unique, and special categories.
      "Best Of The Grand Strand" is an annual competition sponsored by Myrtle Beach's local NBC affiliate, WMBF-TV.
      The Grand Strand is a 60-plus-mile stretch of ocean front/beach along both the North and South Carolina coastlines
      The Kiss Coffeehouse's theme revolves around the band KISS, who own the franchise. A number of items from KISS' stage shows, such as costumes, are also on display at the establishment.
      The Kiss Coffeehouse, which opened to huge crowds in the summer of 2006, features signature KISS coffees, including Kiss Army Blend and French Kiss Vanilla, the Kiss Frozen Rockuccino, cookies, brownies and other sinful sweets.
      The grand opening of the store was attended by founding KISS bandmembers Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.
      "Metallica Through The Never", filmmaker Nimród Antal's captivating 3D movie featuring one of music's most enduring and iconic bands, will premiere at the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival on Monday, September 9 at 7:30 p.m.
      Says the band: "Now in its 38th year, Toronto International Film Festival is the most respected and prominent film festival in North America with many major films making their worldwide debuts there (last year's festival brought in nearly 300 feature films from over 70 different countries!). 'Through The Never' will screen in the special IMAX at TIFF section and we'll be on hand for the red-carpet premiere, to introduce the film and will spend some time in Toronto to chat with the press."
      IMAX Corporation and Picturehouse have announced that "Metallica Through The Never" will be digitally remastered into the immersive IMAX 3D format and released wide in North America exclusively into IMAX theatres for a one-week engagement starting Friday, September 27. The film will expand into additional theatres on October 4.
      Starring METALLICA, a cast of thousands of their fans and breakout star Dane DeHaan ("Chronicle", "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"), "Metallica Through The Never" is written and directed by award-winning filmmaker Nimród Antal ("Predators", "Kontroll") and produced by former IMAX film producer Charlotte Huggins ("Journey To The Center Of The Earth"). The film marries groundbreaking footage and editing techniques with a compelling narrative, in which a band crew member (played by DeHaan) is sent out on a mission during METALLICA's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. While on this mission, he unexpectedly has his life turned completely upside down.
      The IMAX 3D release of "Metallica Through The Never" will be digitally remastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images, coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio, create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.
      Speaking to Collider.com, DeHaan stated about "Metallica Through The Never": "It's, in a way, like a 3D concert movie but there's also this narrative that ties together all the footage. It's gonna be, first of all, really rock and roll and really 'METALLICA,' for lack of a better word; they don't hold back at all. But during the concert, I basically go on this trip as a roadie for the band and I pretty much literally have to go through hell and back to take it back to them, and all of this is going on during the concert, so it all ties together really kind of beautifully and uniquely. It's unlike anything that I've ever seen before; it's almost like a concert movie meets 'The Wall' meets METALLICA."
      Ulrich cited the 1976 LED ZEPPELIN movie "The Song Remains The Same" as a major influence on "Metallica Through The Never", explaining to Classic Rock, "There are four members in LED ZEPPELIN, four members in METALLICA, it's a full-length movie, and there's a lot in this film that does not take place onstage. The major difference is that the stuff that takes place offstage in the METALLICA movie does not feature any members of METALLICA. It's two separate worlds — a METALLICA show and a story that unfolds in a parallel universe — and at some point they intertwine."
      The ZEPPELIN film interspersed concert footage with fantasy sequences starring each member of the group.
      The concert sequences for METALLICA's movie were shot in August 2012 at two shows in Vancouver, Canada.

      In November and December of 2012, MEGADETH' class="itxtrst itxtrstimg itxthookicon" v:shapes="_x0000_i1028">  blazed hot on the band's "Countdown To Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour", ripping through their entire double platinum 1992 album from start to finish before performing other classics from their recorded catalog. Recorded and filmed at Los Angeles' Fox Theatre last December, "Countdown to Extinction: Live" is a definitive document of the acclaimed, sold-out tour.
      In addition to MEGADETH's blistering performance of the entire "Countdown To Extinction" album, including the essential "Symphony Of Destruction", "Foreclosure Of A Dream", "Sweating Bullets" and "Skin O' My Teeth", "Countdown to Extinction: Live" features all of the other MEGADETH classics the band performed at the epic concert, including "Holy Wars" and "Hangar 18" from 1990's "Rust In Peace", "Peace Sells' class="itxtrst itxtrstimg itxthookicon" v:shapes="itxthook1icon"> " from the band's influential, platinum-certified 1986 album "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?", and "Trust" from 1997's platinum certified "Cryptic Writings".
      On September 24, "Countdown To Extinction: Live" will be released on CD, DVD and Blu-ray via Capitol.
      "Countdown To Extinction: Live" track listing:
      01. Intro
      02. Architecture Of Aggression
      03. Ashes In Your Mouth
      04. Captive Honour
      05. Countdown To Extinction
      06. Foreclosure Of A Dream
      07. Hangar 18
      08. High Speed Dirt
      09. Holy Wars
      10. Peace Sells
      11. Psychotron
      12. Public Enemy
      13. She Wolf
      14. Skin O' My Teeth
      15. Sweating Bullets
      16. Symphony Of Destruction
      17. This Was My Life
      18. Trust
      19. Outro

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-countdown-to-extinction-live-due-in-september/

      The members of MEGADETH were interviewed earlier in the month by Fuse TV at the studios of SiriusXM satellite radio in New York City. You can now watch the chat below.
      MEGADETH has just completed headlining run at this year's edition of Gigantour, the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine.
      In addition to MEGADETH, this year's installment of Gigantour featured BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, DEVICE, HELLYEAH, NEWSTED and DEATH DIVISION.
      MEGADETH's latest album, "Super Collider", has sold 61,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It marks MEGADETH's first release since the band's split with Roadrunner Records.
      MEGADETH filmed a video for the "Super Collider" title track on May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
      "That song kind of came from that 'Symphony Of Destruction' corner of my mind," Mustaine told Guitar World magazine. "You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-interviewed-by-fuse-video/

      According to King5.com, Electra Mustaine, the daughter of MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine, and Jason Kertson, the grandson of Rob Lind, a member of THE SONICS, a Seattle-area band that helped shaped the punk rock music sound in the '60s, have teamed up for a special concert to benefit Operation Ward 57, a non-profit organization that helps wounded servicemembers and their families.
      Electra and Jason performed their version of the MEGADETH song "A Tout Le Monde" on King 5 TV's "New Day" with Margaret Larson, then joined Margaret to talk about their families' respective musical legacies and why it's important for them to respect and support the military. Brittney Hamilton, founder of Operation Ward 57, shared more about the work the group does and praised Electra, Jason and other young people who take such an active role to salute and support the military.
      Electra and Jason will perform this Thursday, August 22 with local band LADY JUSTICE at Louie G's in Fife, Washington. The show begins at 7:00 pm and tickets are $5 (suggested donation) at the door.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaines-daughter-performs-megadeths-a-tout-le-monde-video-available/

      On July 9, 2006, Lisa-Holly Friedman and Ronald K Marukawa (two longtime KISS fans) were married on the premises, with Paul Stanley telephoning during the proceedings to wish them well.
      KnuckleBonz has announced its production of the Lemmy Kilmister (MOTÖRHEAD) Rock Iconz statue. This is a limited-edition statue, with only 1,000 created, making these highly collectible. Each figure in the edition is approximately 9 inches tall, hand-painted with the iconic Warpig logo sculpted on the base of the collectible. It is numbered and includes a certificate of authenticity. The figure is officially licensed through MOTÖRHEAD and Global Merchandising Corp.
      The Lemmy limited-edition statue will be available in the fall. Pre-orders are available at www.knucklebonz.com.
      KnuckleBonz creates hi-end sculpture that features rock's most highly influential artists. Dedicated to honoring rocks greatest through master artistry, KnuckleBonz has established the music-based sculpture series: Rock Iconz.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lemmy-rock-iconz-statue-coming-this-fall/

      According to The Pulse Of Radio, FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl was asked by XFM in the U.K. for his thoughts on the upcoming 20th anniversary reissue of NIRVANA's "In Utero", the final studio album by the band and second that Grohl played drums on. Grohl said, "I recognize myself back then and I remember what it was like to be in the band but it's hard to believe that that much time has gone by. A lot has happened in those 20 years, when I think about 'In Utero' and what the world was like, what my life was like back then, it's strange."
      He added, "From the time that 'Nevermind' came out in September of 1991 to the time that NIRVANA was over, it was really just a few years and a lot happened in those few years. I look back at this album and looking at the packaging and the old pictures and listening to songs that I haven't heard in 20 years, all of these rarities and demos, it's kind of a trip."
      NIRVANA did record some demos after "In Utero" came out and cut its final song, "You Know You're Right", in 1993. Grohl recalled the sessions for that track: "We had some time off before a tour, and Kurt [Cobain] wanted to go in and demo some stuff, so I said, 'Hey, why don't we do it at this studio down the street from my house.' And we went down there, and we had three days booked. Kurt came in the last day and we were like, 'Okay, what do you wanna do?' And Kurt said, 'Well, why don't we do that song we've been doing at soundcheck?' And so we rehearsed it, I think, once, and then recorded it. Kurt did three or four vocal takes, and that was it."
      A previously unheard instrumental called "Forgotten Tune" will be among the 70 tracks included on the three-disc deluxe reissue of "In Utero", which is set for release on September 24.
      The rest of the material on the jam-packed set will consist of remastered, remixed, rare and unreleased demos, B-sides, alternate takes and live recordings, along with two different mixes of the 12-song album.
      The "In Utero" package will be issued in several configurations, including a three-CD/one-DVD "Super Deluxe" edition, plus two-CD, three-LP and digital versions.
      Grohl also told XFM that FOO FIGHTERS have finished writing their eighth studio album and plan to record it "in a way that no one's ever done before." The disc is likely to come out in 2014.
      Super Deluxe:
      This 20th-Anniversary 3CD/1DVD Super Deluxe Edition featuring more than 70 remastered, remixed, rare and unreleased recordings, including B-sides, compilation tracks, never-before-heard demos and live material featuring the final touring lineup of Cobain, Novoselic, Grohl, and Pat Smear. This box set also includes a DVD of the complete "Live and Loud" show from Seattle's Pier 48 on December 13, 1993 plus over 35 minutes never-before-released bonus material.
      CD One - Original album remastered plus all B-sides & bonus tracks recorded at Pachyderm
      01. Serve The Servants (Albini mix/original release) - 3:39
      02. Scentless Apprentice (Albini mix/original release) - 3:47
      03. Heart-Shaped Box (Litt mix/original release) - 4:41
      04. Rape Me (Albini mix/original release) - 2:51
      05. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle (Albini mix/original release) - 4:09
      06. Dumb (Albini mix/original release) - 2:32
      07. Very Ape (Albini mix/original release) - 1:55
      08. Milk It (Albini mix/original release) - 3:54
      09. Pennyroyal Tea (Albini mix/original release) - 3:37
      10. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (Albini mix/original release) - 4:51
      11. Tourette's (Albini mix/original release) - 1:35
      12. All Apologies (Litt mix/original release) - 3:55
      13. Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip (ex-U.S. bonus track) - 7:35
      14. Marigold (B-side; "Heart Shaped Box) - 2:34
      15. Moist Vagina (B-side; "All Apologies") - 3:33
      16. Sappy (from "No Alternative" compilation) - 3:28
      17. I Hate Myself And Want To Die (from "The Beavis And Butthead Experience" compilation) - 2:59
      18. Pennyroyal Tea (Litt mix) - 3:36
      19. Heart-Shaped Box (Albini mix/unreleased) - 4:42
      20. All Apologies (Albini mix/unreleased) - 3:58
      CD Two - 2013 album mix plus pre-album demos
      01. Serve The Servants (2013 mix) - 3:36
      02. Scentless Apprentice (2013 mix) - 3:49
      03. Heart-Shaped Box (2013 mix) - 4:41
      04. Rape Me (2013 mix) - 2:49
      05. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle (2013 mix) - 4:12
      06. Dumb (2013 mix) - 2:32
      07. Very Ape (2013 mix) - 1:57
      08. Milk It (2013 mix) - 3:56
      09. Pennyroyal Tea (2013 mix) - 3:32
      10. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (2013 mix) - 4:51
      11. Tourette's (2013 mix) - 1:35
      12. All Apologies (2013 mix) - 3:55
      13. Scentless Apprentice (Rio demo) - 3:54
      14. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle (Laundry Room demo) - 4:33
      15. Dumb (Word Of Mouth demo) - 2:39
      16. Very Ape (Rio demo) -- 2:21
      17. Pennyroyal Tea (Word Of Mouth demo) - 3:31
      18. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (Word Of Mouth demo) - 2:40
      19. Tourettes (Word Of Mouth demo) - 2:14
      20. Marigold (Upland Studios demo)- 3:25
      21. All Apologies (Music Source demo) - 4:25
      22. Forgotten Tune (Rehearsal) - 2:04
      23. Jam (Word Of Mouth demo) - 5:44
      CD Three - Live & Loud: Live At Pier 48, Seattle, Washington – December 13, 1993
      01. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
      02. Drain You
      03. Breed
      04. Serve The Servants
      05. Rape Me
      06. Sliver
      07. Pennyroyal Tea
      08. Scentless Apprentice
      09. All Apologies
      10. Heart-Shaped Box
      11
      . Blew

      12. The Man Who Sold The World
      13. School
      14. Come As You Are
      15. Lithium
      16. About a Girl
      17. Endless, Nameless
      DVD - Live & Loud: Live At Pier 48, Seattle, Washington – December 13, 1993
      01. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter*
      02. Drain You*
      03. Breed*
      04. Serve The Servants*
      05. Rape Me*
      06. Sliver
      07. Pennyroyal Tea*
      08. Scentless Apprentice*
      09. All Apologies
      10. Heart-Shaped Box*
      11. Blew
      12. The Man Who Sold The World
      13. School
      14. Come As You Are
      15. Lithium*
      16. About a Girl
      17. Endless, Nameless*
      Extras:
      18. Very Ape (Live & Loud Rehearsal)
      19. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (Live & Loud Rehearsal)
      20. Rape Me (Live & Loud Rehearsal)
      21. Pennyroyal Tea (Live & Loud Rehearsal)
      22. Heart-Shaped Box (Original Music Video + Director's Cut)
      23. Rape Me (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" - Paris, France)
      24. Pennyroyal Tea (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" - Paris, France)
      25. Drain You (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" - Paris, France)
      26. Serve The Servants (Live on "Tunnel" - Rome, Italy)
      27. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (Live in Munich, Germany)
      28. My Best Friend's Girl (Live in Munich, Germany)
      29. Drain You (Live in Munich, Germany)
      Deluxe Edition - 2CDs
      20th-Anniversary 2CD Deluxe Edition featuring the original album remastered at Abbey Road Studios plus never-before-heard demos, mixes, B-sides and bonus tracks from the original album release.
      CD One - Original album and bonus tracks remastered
      CD Two - 2013 album mix plus pre-album demos
      Deluxe Edition - Vinyl (Original Album & Bonus Tracks on 3LPs)
      20th-Anniversary 3LP Edition featuring the original album remastered at Abbey Road Studios on 2LPs and for the first time available at high-fidelity 45 RPM, plus a 33 1/3 RPM LP of all the remastered B-sides, never-before-heard original mixes and bonus tracks from the original album release. All 3LPS are on 180 gram vinyl.
      Original Album Mix Remastered (1CD)
      20th Anniversary Edition of the original album remastered at Abbey Road studios in 2013.
      DVD - Live & Loud
      The complete "Live and Loud" show from Seattle's Pier 48 on December 13, 1993 plus over 35 minutes of never-before-released bonus material.
      Digital Formats:
      Super Deluxe Audio
      Deluxe Audio
      Original Album Remastered
      Live & Loud: Longform Digital Video and Streaming/Rental Outlets

      Greg Prato of Songfacts recently conducted an interview with vocalist Chuck Billy of San Francisco Bay Area metallers TESTAMENT. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.
      Songfacts: Looking back at the early days of thrash metal, at what point did you realize that there was a movement going on and that it was also clearly different from the opposite of the spectrum, the glam metal bands that were going on at the time?
      Chuck: Being from San Francisco, especially the late '70s/early '80s, the Bay Area was more glam metal and punk rock was the aggressive, rebellious kind of music that was going on here in the day. And once METALLICA and EXODUS and those guys came on the scene in the early '80s, it kind of changed. This movement grew so quick, and all those glam bands left the San Francisco Bay area and went to L.A., where everybody ended up in that glam movement. So the next thing you know, we were just more of a punk rock/heavy metal community, that grew really quick. And there were so many places to play back in those days. You could go to a show at The Stone and then later on catch the midnight show across the street at the Mabuhay Gardens or the Rock On Broadway. Or go down around the corner and there's another venue. Then everybody seemed to follow, and you'd always see the same people and the same crowd at all these shows. It was a little community of the same people, and then the after-parties — going to Paul Baloff's house to a party or something and the same crowd from the show is there. It was just a trippy scene that grew really quick in those early years.
      Songfacts: By and large, how does songwriting work in TESTAMENT?
      Chuck: With us, it's been me and Eric [Peterson, guitarist] for a long time. Eric will come up with a structure, what he thinks is the verse, chorus, lead sections. Once I hear it, I listen to where I feel that the vocals should be, and then I'll either rearrange it or stick with what he hears and come up with the arrangement. Once we get the arrangement down, Eric will take it back again and then rework it to make it all flow together. If he has to build an extra part to connect what he thought was the chorus that's now a verse, going into a new chorus or something, he'll redo it. That's always worked the best. There are some songs in the current years, like "More Than Meets the Eye" or even "Native Blood", some of those songs we came up with the riff and he had a lot of it already completed. From the first time we heard it to trying it live in the studio, the patterns were there, the song structure was there, and it came together really quick. And those are the ones where we go, "Wow, this is a special song because it just came together so quick and it still stands strong even after you reexamine it and make sure it's got everything we need in it." And those don't happen all the time. Most of the time, it's just building them. But sometimes we get lucky in that sense, and I think after working with somebody for 25-plus years writing music together, it's like anything in life you do that long, you hone your craft and get better at it. We kind of know what each other is thinking at this point and what our limits are and what keys not to go in and play in. He knows what I turn down as far as the scales and the keys he picks to write songs in. We've been pretty lucky in that sense as a team.
      Songfacts: Who are some of your favorite songwriters as far as either rock bands or solo artists go?
      Chuck: Well, METALLICA's James Hetfield has always been an inspiration with clever lyrics. When I first started hearing METALLICA, it was something new to me the way his cadence of vocal styles sang to the music. Because when I was growing up, I was more like, UFO and THIN LIZZY and SCORPIONS and PRIEST, where the vocalists were more melodic singers. So when there was that thrash attack, it was a whole new thing to me. In TESTAMENT, it was what we were becoming, that same style. He really inspired me with his clever lyrics and clever hooks. Bruce Dickinson. Ronnie James Dio has always been a great songwriter and lyricist, same with Bruce. And then Rob Halford. Those guys always were my heroes.

      Fan-filmed video footage of ARMORED SAINT's August 16 performance at Paladino's in Reseda, California at a benefit show for drummer Dave Brown (ex-SOUND BARRIER, MASI, TOTAL ECLIPSE), who is battling cancer, can be seen below. Also scheduled to appear on the bill were DC4 (featuring Jeff Duncan of ARMORED SAINT and ODIN and Rowan Robertson, formerly of DIO), and Roy Z (BRUCE DICKINSON, HALFORD, TRIBE OF GYPSIES) and friends.
      Dave "Skavido" Brown is best known for his work with SOUND BARRIER, the first-ever heavy metal band featuring all African-American members to score a major label record deal. The band's debut album, "Total Control", was issued in 1983 by MCA Records; two more independent releases, "Born to Rock" (1984) and "Speed Of Light" (1986), followed before SOUND BARRIER morphed into MASI with the addition of Italian guitarist Alex Masi. Brown recorded the album "Fire in the Rain" (1987) with the group before teaming up with SOUND BARRIER/MASI vocalist Bernie K. and former THE BUSBOYS members Vic Johnson (SAMMY HAGAR'S WABORITAS) and Andre "Dre" Barry in TOTAL ECLIPSE whose one and only album surfaced in 1992 via A&M/Tabu Records.
      The classic first EP from ARMORED SAINT was reissued on August 13, 2012 in Europe via Metal Blade Records with bonus tracks and etching on vinyl.
      ARMORED SAINT's latest album, "La Raza", sold around 2,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 18 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. "La Raza" also entered the German Media Control chart at No. 96 and the Canadian Independent chart at No. 85.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video-armored-saint-performs-at-benefit-concert-for-former-sound-barrier-drummer/
      "Firefly", a brand new song from American progressive metallers FATES WARNING, can be streamed below. The track comes off the band's eleventh studio album, "Darkness In A Different Light", which will be released on September 27 via InsideOut Music class="itxtrst itxtrstimg itxthookicon" v:shapes="_x0000_i1027">. Featuring founding guitarist Jim Matheos alongside classic-lineup members Ray Alder (vocals) and Frank Aresti (guitar), longtime bassist Joey Vera and drummer Bobby Jarzombek, the CD was produced by Matheos and mixed by longtime FATES WARNING engineer Phil Magnotti. The effort was mastered by mastered by Maor Appelbaum (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, SEPULTURA, ANVIL) at Maor Appelbaum Mastering in California. The cover artwork was designed by Conte di San Pietro.
      Says Alder: "'Firefly' is very personal to me in more ways than one....
      "After I had written the melody for this song, I knew immediately what the title was going to be, as well as the subject; it just fit the mood.
      "As for the subject, I'm pretty sure we've all felt this way at one time or another.
      "Sometimes things just don't work out the way you think they would, but that's okay, that's part of life... We move on. Ironically, while recording 'Firefly' in New Hampshire, I was outside the studio late one night, and there they were, floating through the trees in the forest! I hadn't seen a single firefly for at least fifteen years since I had left my hometown of San Antonio, Texas, so I kinda took it as a sign. A sign of what, I don't know... But very ironic nonetheless..."
      "Darkness In A Different Light" track listing:
      CD 1
      01. One Thousand
      02. Firefly
      03. Desire
      04. Falling
      05. I Am
      06. Lighthouse
      07. Into The Black
      08. Kneel And Obey
      09. O Chloroform
      10. And Yet It Moves
      CD 2
      01. Firefly (extended)
      02. Falling Further
      03. One (live)
      04. Life In Still Water (live)
      Commented Alder: "'Darkness In A Different Light' is the result of almost two years of very hard work from everyone in the band.
      "I believe that this lineup is the best that FATES WARNING has ever had, and I also think that it comes through in the music on this album.
      "It's been almost nine years since our last studio album and I couldn't be more proud of what we've accomplished here.
      "We are looking very much forward to playing some new songs for our fans who have stuck by us over all these years.
      "We plan on touring as much as possible for 'Darkness In A Different Light' and hopefully we'll hit a few places we've never been."
      FATES WARNING will embark on a North American tour in November. The trek will launch November 15 in Joliet, Illinois and wrap December 14 in Seattle, Washington.
      The "Parallels" lineup of FATES WARNING played a number of shows in 2010 in support of the released special edition of the album, which was made available through Metal Blade Records. In addition to remastered audio, there is a second audio disc of live and demo material. The package also includes a DVD with nearly three hours of material, including a complete live show from the 1992 "Parallels" tour and a documentary on the making of "Parallels" which includes live, studio, and current day interview footage with all the band members, Terry Brown (producer) and Brian Slagel (CEO of Metal Blade Records).
      FATES WARNING's last CD, "X", was released in 2004 on Metal Blade Records. The follow-up to 2000's "Disconnected" was recorded at Carriage House studios in Stamford, Connecticut and features cover artwork by renowned record-cover artist Ioannis (DREAM THEATER, SEPULTURA, DEEP PURPLE, BLUE ÖYSTER CULT, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, KING CRIMSON, BIOHAZARD, VOIVOD, UFO, OVERKILL).
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-new-song-firefly-available-for-streaming/

      Keith Spera of The Times-Picayune recently conducted an interview with former PANTERA and current DOWN singer Philip Anselmo. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.
      The Times-Picayune: You've got a book deal to write your autobiography in collaboration with true crime author Corey Mitchell.
      Anselmo: It's a book about my life. It's not just strictly a PANTERA book, although PANTERA was obviously a giant part of my life. It took a whole lot in the New Orleans area and throughout Louisiana, gigging and gigging … a whole lot happened, and had to happen, before I was even able to be in the same room with the great musicians that were in PANTERA. Obviously, after the break-up of the band and the death of Dimebag (Darrell Abbott, the former PANTERA guitarist who was shot to death in December 2004), a whole lot has happened. There's a tremendous story to tell there. I'm going to try to pick out the most humorous things, and the most crushing things. Touch on all of them.
      The Times-Picayune: So you'll talk about all your back problems and …
      Anselmo: Absolutely. And drugs, and everything. Hopefully it's educational for people that are going through the same thing. I'm also going to discuss how doctors are only doing half their jobs these days. They don't explain to the patient the repercussions of certain medicines that they dole out so portentously. I'm going to slam some doctors, but I'm going to be brutally honest about myself. There's an upside to everything. It's 2013. I'm 10 years clean from anything that resembles hard drugs. I haven't even tasted a sip of whiskey since 2001. Things change in a life. So there's plenty to tell.
      The Times-Picayune: Your longtime girlfriend, Kate, kind of helped save your life.
      Anselmo: She did. And she will get tons of credit in my book. We've been together 11 years now. Without her strength, it wouldn't have gone the way it did. Her steadiness, her rock-solid belief in me helped me pull through and do things correctly. She's gold, or platinum, or titanium, or tungsten. I'm more in love with her now than I ever have been.
      The Times-Picayune: Why, at this stage in your life, did you make a record that was so extreme? Most people, when they get a little older, tend to become more mellow.
      Anselmo: In DOWN, we've got everything from heavy metal songs to smooth rock songs to straight-up acoustic pieces. So right there, that covers a whole lot of ground. I keep up with the extreme heavy metal underground because I adore it. It's part of me. The extreme underground is the lifeblood of heavy metal and the future of heavy metal. There are a lot of cornerstone bands out there right now that are changing the game up, and they're really writing some awesome, innovative stuff. With extreme music, the leading genres would be black metal and death metal. But I didn't want to really belong to either one of those genres, because I think I've touched on both genres in the past with several of my side projects. I wanted to make an extreme record that was absolutely non-traditional. There is no wrong way to do music. Music is a vast, wide-open world of possibilities. I'm an explorer, and I'm going to keep on exploring.
      Chicago doom metal legends TROUBLE have announced the addition of bassist Rob Hultz to the group's ranks.
      Hultz is no stranger to the heavy metal, hard rock, and doom metal genres as his lengthy music resume boasts. While still in high school, he joined an East Coast hardcore band called SOCIAL DECAY which served as his introduction to recording and touring. After a decade, he left with the guitar player to form the doom metal band GODSPEED and was signed to Atlantic Records. Their debut album was recorded at Electric Lady Studios in New York and produced by Rachel Bolan of SKID ROW. The band was represented by Gloria Butler Management and toured with iconic bands such as BLACK SABBATH, DIO and CATHEDRAL, to name just a few.
      In 1996, Hultz helped form SOLACE, another notable doom metal band, which was signed to Meteor City Records, and played large arenas, clubs, and festivals such as Roadburn and Hellfest. Their last recording, "A.D.", was released on Small Stone Records in 2010 and voted Best Metal Album of the Year on iTunes. Since then, Hultz has lent his talents on projects for LETHAL AGGRESSION and DISEASE CONCEPT.
      Commenting on the band's decision, TROUBLE founder and guitarist Rick Wartell states, "Bruce Franklin and I played the bass parts on 'The Distortion Field', with the exception of one song. However, as we began preparing to tour in support of the album, it became really important to choose the right person for the band. Rob is not only a great bass player but also a total pro with an impressive band history, and he's got the TROUBLE personality so he definitely fits in well. We look forward to him joining us on the road and being a bandmate for a long time to come."
      Hultz has already begun rehearsals and will debut live with the band for a series of European show dates scheduled for October 2013, the details of which are still pending and will be announced separately.
      "The Distortion Field", the first studio album in six years from TROUBLE, sold around 760 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 25 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
      Due in Europe on August 23 via FRW Records, the 12-song follow-up to 2007's "Simple Mind Condition" was helmed by veteran producer Bill Metoyer (SLAYER, W.A.S.P., ARMORED SAINT, DARK ANGEL, SACRED REICH, CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER, D.R.I.) and marks the recording debut with TROUBLE of lead singer Kyle Thomas following the departure of the group's frontman of four years, Kory Clarke (of WARRIOR SOUL fame).
      "The Distortion Field" track listing:
      01. Sink Or Swim
      02. Paranoid Conspiracy
      03. Glass Of Lies
      04. The Grey Chill Of Autumn
      05. When The Sky Comes Down
      06. Butterflies
      07. Your Reflections
      08. Have I Told You
      09. The Apple From The Snake
      10. Hunters Of Doom
      11. Sucker
      12. The Broken Have Spoken
      Decibel magazine is streaming three songs from the album: "When The Sky Comes Down", "Butterflies" and "Sucker". Check them out using the SoundCloud widget below.
      Says TROUBLE founder and guitarist Rick Wartell: "Kyle is one of the most impressive singers I've ever heard, and by far the most extraodinary singer I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He's got incredible range, incredible power, and an incredible knowledge of TROUBLE, as he's been a fan for 20-something years. We've known him forever, and he innately understands what TROUBLE is about. He's like the perfect guy to come in and do this job. It's awesome."
      He adds: "Musically, I think this album is a true TROUBLE record.
      "In the early days, we used to just write what we felt and didn't really care about what anyone said. We just wrote heavy riffs and played our music our way. But outside influences can kind of get a hold of you and start telling you what to do.
      "When we were writing this album, the thinking was, we don't care what anybody thinks. We're going to write what we write. So this is basically a return to our roots, while combining some reflections of our band's long history as well.
      "With the two different music writers, Bruce [Franklin, guitar] and myself, we have a slight variation in our writing; Bruce has more of a '70s groove to his writing, and I'm more the old-school doomy metal thing. And when you put it together, you get TROUBLE."
      TROUBLE 2013 is:
      Kyle Thomas: Vocals
      Bruce Franklin: Guitar
      Rick Wartell: Guitar
      Mark Lira: Drums
      Rob Hultz: Bass

      "Strife", a brand new song from Florida metallers TRIVIUM, can be streamed in the YouTube clip below. The track comes off the band's eagerly awaited new album, "Vengeance Falls", which will be released on October 15 via Roadrunner Records. Produced by David Draiman (DISTURBED, DEVICE), the follow-up to 2011's "In Waves" will be available for pre-order at Trivium.org beginning August 20. The first single, "Strife", will be available as an instant download with all pre-orders.
      "'Vengeance Falls' is the culmination of everything we've gone through; the representation of struggle endured from within and experienced from the world. Every failure and every success has led us to this moment. 'Vengeance Falls' is this moment in time," said TRIVIUM vocalist and guitarist Matt Heafy.
      Producer David Draiman added: "'Vengeance Falls' is a masterpiece of metal. It is [TRIVIUM's] finest work to date, and a record so strong that it will blow the doors open to a world they deserve to dominate."
      Long hailed as one of modern metal's most powerful live acts, TRIVIUM will hit the road hard in support of "Vengeance Falls", kicking off with a North American co-headline tour alongside DEVILDRIVER. The dates get underway Thursday, September 12 at Boise, Idaho's Knitting Factory and then continue through mid-October.
      "Vengeance Falls" marks a massive creative milestone for the acclaimed metallers. The collection — recorded earlier this year at Draiman's Austin, Texas home studio — sees the band pushing the envelope on their own distinctive sound, a sonic approach that saw "In Waves" hit No. 1 on Billboard's Hard Rock Albums chart upon its release, not to mention a stunning Top-15 debut on The Billboard 200 — their highest chart rankings to date.
      "Vengeance Falls" track listing:
      01. Brave This Storm
      02. Vengeance Falls
      03. Strife
      04. No Way To Heal
      05. To Believe
      06. At The End Of This War
      07. Through Blood And Dirt And Bone
      08. Villainy Thrives
      09. Incineration: The Broken World
      10. Wake (The End Is Nigh)
      "Vengeance Falls" will be available for pre-order at Trivium.org beginning August 20. The first single, "Strife", will be available as an instant download with all pre-orders.
      TRIVIUM filmed a video for an as-yet-undiclosed song off "Vengeance Falls" last month at Studio One in Orlando. The clip was directed by Ramon Boutviseth, who has previously worked with NONPOINT, DARKEST HOUR, INCUBUS and ALL THAT REMAINS, among others. Check out photos from the video shoot at this location.
      TRIVIUM will hit the road in North America this fall with DEVILDRIVER, AFTER THE BURIAL and SYLOSIS.

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/trivium-studio-version-of-strife-song-available-for-streaming/
      Razor & Tie has announced the addition of the Southern California rock trio KYNG to its worldwide label and publishing rosters. The band is currently well into the writing and recording of its forthcoming studio album, with a single expected later this year.
      KYNG will hit the road in late August with SEVENDUST, 10 YEARS, MONSTER TRUCK and AMERICAN FANGS and will join the Hellpop Tour with IN THIS MOMENT, MOTIONLESS IN WHITE and ALL HAIL THE YETI beginning October 24.
      KYNG comments: "We are very excited to announce that we have signed a record deal with the illustrious Razor & Tie. We are over the moon about being on such a great label and being a part of an incredible roster of bands, including our brothers THE SWORD! We will have new music out for you soon. The world will know..."
      Formed in 2008 in Southern California, KYNG's sound features a unique and universally appealing combination of heavy and captivating concepts, channeling influences from BLACK SABBATH, LED ZEPPELIN to the FOO FIGHTERS and QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE. KYNG's versatile approach of a sweet devastation bleeds from an artistic drive toward a momentum described as "California Heavy."
      The band's well-received first album, "Trampled Sun", was released independently in 2011 with Loudwire calling it "a hard-hitting fusion of rocking goodness," and Ultimate-Guitar stating, "if they keep churning out records as good as 'Trampled Sun', they will be mentioned right up there with MASTODON and the like."
      KYNG is singer/songwriter Eddie Veliz, bassist Tony Castaneda and drummer Pepe Clarke Magana.
      KYNG is managed by Bill McGathy and John Bambino at IndieGoot and booked by Anthony Paolercio at The Agency Group.

      Former MURDERDOLLS frontman Wednesday 13 is editing his new concert DVD, "Scream Britain Scream", for an early 2014 release. The set will feature performance, backstage, and up-close-and-personal footage from Wednesday 13's March 2013 U.K. tour and the 2012 London Halloween concert. Wednesday 13 commented: "This DVD will be the ultimate backstage pass for any Wednesday 13 fan. We filmed every single second of the March U.K. tour. I want this DVD to show what we do, and how we do it... the good, the bad, and the ugly."
      With certain releases, Wednesday likes to include his fans in with the artwork. This time, Wednesday 13 fans have a chance to be in the "Scream Britain Scream" DVD artwork as a member of the Royal Ghouls. 13 lucky fans can have their names attached to one of The Royal Ghouls storming out of the gates of The Royal Palace. Become a piece of history in the Wednesday 13 catalogue by capturing a winning bid on eBay; auctions end August 27.
      This release will be different from previous releases as you will not only get to name your Royal Ghoul, but you will also get space in the booklet for your full name or dedication.
      WEDNESDAY 13 will embark on a North American tour next month. Support on the trek will come from COLD BLUE REBELS and MORTIFIED MORTICIAN.
      WEDNESDAY 13's fifth solo album, "The Dixie Dead", was released in February.

      "Valkyrja", the seventh full-length album from the Faroe Islands natives TÝR, will be released on September 17 in North America (one day earlier internationally) via Metal Blade Records.
      Fans can now view a small glimpse of the creative process behind "Valkyrja" while the band was at Hansen Studios in Ribe, Denmark with producer Jacob Hansen. The video features some of George Kollias' drum tracking, as well as vocal tracking, and can be viewed below.
      TÝR has announced that Amon Ellingsgaard will be drumming for the band on their European tour with FINNTROLL. Amon is currently drummer for TÝR frontman Heri Joensen's side project HELJAREYGA. Many fans may already be familiar with Amon, who is also the nephew of former drummer Kari Streymoy, as he has filled in for TÝR before on the first Paganfest in 2008.
      "Valkyrja" is a concept album with a story line based loosely around an anonymous Viking age warrior who leaves his woman and goes off to impress the Valkyrie on the battlefield so that she may

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)