3043Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Cult, Queensryche, The Black Crowes, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Armored Saint, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, Avantasia, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Aug 18, 2013
      BLACK SABBATH members Ozzy Osbourne (vocals) and Geezer Butler (bass) were recently interviewed by Live Nation. You can now watch the second part of the chat at
      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1799374620001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABHqwiXaE~,pGfHvQ9vV_8KhYGSHpIK8jPVepMZ6Fya&bctid=2562506708001
      Part one is available for viewing
      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1799374620001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABHqwiXaE~,pGfHvQ9vV_8KhYGSHpIK8jPVepMZ6Fya&bctid=2562506700001
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, BLACK SABBATH's new album, "13", is such a success for the reunited band that Ozzy wants to make another one — and hopes that original drummer Bill Ward can join the group in the studio this time. When asked by NME about the chances of Ward returning, Ozzy answered, "It's a strong possibility. We would have loved to have Bill on this album. Maybe we can work things out by the next one. But it won't take another 35 years. I'm 65 now. There's no fucking recording studios in the afterlife. We're all even closer for all this shit so there's one positive, one fucking silver lining."
      RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE drummer Brad Wilk played drums on "13" after Ward sat out the sessions. While money was believed to be an issue, Ward was reportedly also upset that the group wanted another drummer around anyway to back him up if he was physically unable to get the job done.
      Ozzy told The Pulse Of Radio that Ward being out of shape was the main reason he's not on the record. "Bill Ward has got the most physically demanding job of the lot of us, 'cause he's the timekeeper. I don't think personally he had the chops to pull it off, you know. The saddest thing is that he needed to own up to that, and we could have worked around it, whether we had a drummer on the side with him or something. But I suppose it was something to do with finances as well."
      SABBATH's future also depends on guitarist Tony Iommi's health. Iommi was diagnosed with a form of cancer in early 2012 and continues to undergo treatment for it. Ozzy told NME, "At the moment, we're doing so many weeks on the road, then he has to go back for more treatment. He's had chemo and radiotherapy, and now he's on a thing to boost his immune system. I really hope it's gone for good. I'm sure it has. But you never know with that stuff."
      "13", the first SABBATH album in 35 years to feature Ozzy, Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler all playing together, sold 155,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week of release to land at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart, giving the group its first chart-topper ever in America.

      In a new text/audio feature by music writer Joel Gausten, legendary BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward opens up about how his new fine art series, "Absence Of Corners", helped him deal with some of the intense emotions he felt after stepping away from the reunion of the original BLACK SABBATH lineup in 2012.
      "The biggest thing that I've definitely felt from this [art series project] is I've got a new peace of mind," shares Ward. "It's been extremely therapeutic. If I have to put anything on the very top of the tree, it would be 'therapeutic'… It's really helped me a lot in some of the upheaval that I've felt since January 2012 up until now. I've had some very, very tough emotions; I've been very, very sad about some of the things that have happened. I know I've had to be kind of close-mouthed about the things going on with SABBATH… For me, it's been a very difficult time, as I'm sure [it's been] for a number of other people. I'm not discounting the other people in this, but for myself, it's been very, very tough. I had no idea that by doing this project, it would turn out to be something that was actually quite personal and quite revealing."
      Working with Los Angeles art team SceneFour, Ward created "Absence Of Corners" by using an array of drumsticks and rhythmic accessories that produce light, much like a painter utilizing brushes and oils. The movements featured within the captured rhythms were then studied and developed into abstract artwork that showcased a dimension not normally seen by the human eye. Each piece in this limited-edition collection is then numbered. All are signed by Ward.
      For more information on the project, visit www.billwarddrumart.com.
      BLACK SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne recently took issue with Ward's contention that he was physically capable of playing drums for the band, which the group has suggested was one reason why he is not on their current tour nor on the band's new album "13". Ward said in an interview that he "would never, ever show up for a commitment that I could not do physically . . . I'm the drummer in SABBATH and quite capable of doing the job." He cited contractual issues as the reason why he declined to participate in the reunion.
      Ozzy told the New York Daily News about Ward: "I don't think he could have done the gig, to be honest. He's incredibly overweight. A drummer has to be in shape. He's already had two heart attacks. I don't want to be responsible for his life." Despite this, however, Ozzy said "the door is always open" for Ward to return and admitted that without him "it's not the same."
      Ward said he would return on one condition, that he "play all or nothing." It's been speculated that SABBATH wanted Ward to play only part of its live shows because he wasn't in shape to perform an entire concert.
      RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE drummer Brad Wilk played on "13" while Tommy Clufetos is the touring drummer for the group.

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bill-ward-discusses-emotional-toll-of-his-exit-from-black-sabbath-audio/

      METALLICA played for the first time ever in China this week, doing two sold-out shows at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai on Tuesday (August 13) and Wednesday (August 14). The first night sold out in record time and faster than any other Western act that has played the country before.
      Video footage of METALLICA's August 14 press conference in China can be seen below (courtesy of Time Out Shanghai). A couple of excerpts follow below.
      On filming a documentary in China:
      Lars Ulrich (drums): New experiences bring opportunities for new collaborations and new creative endeavours — it's that simple. Being here in this wonderful country and feeling the energy and excitement, the idea came up to celebrate it and to try to document it and to try to get the experience out. As you know, there are a lot of you, and there may be 20,000 of you who came to this arena yesterday and today, so we figured that if we filmed and shared the experience then maybe we could get to more of you and maybe there could be a next-level relationship between METALLICA and China that could last for decades. The idea came up fairly last minute and we love creative endeavours where we make it up as we go along. There's an impulsive energy that comes with that that can be very beautiful and kind of cool and the last few weeks this idea came together of filming here and maybe bringing some local bands into it and bringing some actors in and maybe some way bridging this into the 'Through The Never' movie that we made in the United States. We are making this up as we go along, but it's all being documented — everything we do is always documented — so we're excited about that and we think that there is something cool that will come out of it. Whatever that is, we're not quite sure yet, but we'll do our best to make it shareable and worth everybody's while."
      On interaction with Chinese fans:
      Ulrich: "We've been doing meet-and-greets and the interactions with the fans have been very emotionally engaged; they're very appreciative and thankful that we're here. Obviously there is a language barrier. What we try to do, we try to loosen the moment with banter and so on and some of that doesn't seem to translate when there's language issues or whatever, but you can feel that there is a passion and that there's been a longing for this moment that is really special. Most of the time, the communication just comes from the audience when you're up on stage. You sense what's going on and what's coming back at you. People all over the world have different ways of expressing and you sort of learn that there is a correlation between the way people express themselves in different cultures to what they throw at you in gigs. In Italy, they're very much like passionate southern Europeans, in Latin America this happens, and in certain Nordic countries, they're a little more conservative. You learn those patterns along the way, but you could obviously sense that this moment had been a long time coming."
      On piracy and bootlegged METALLICA goods being sold in China:
      Ulrich: "The one thing increasingly that we focus our energies on is trying to discern between what we can control and what we can't control. Increasingly, getting wound up and spending a lot of time on things that you can't control, it's just... I'd rather FaceTime with my kids or do something else. It is what it is. And that's a whole separate conversation about Chinese copyright issues, which maybe is not the time to do now. You can't control that, so you just turn a blind side to it as best you can."
      The band's current Asian run will take it to South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia over the next 10 days.
      The only other live date on METALLICA's schedule for the rest of 2013 is September 19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
      Next up for METALLICA is the release of the band's 3D movie, "Metallica Through The Never", which arrives in limited release on September 27 before expanding its run on October 4. A soundtrack album arrives on September 24.
      The movie is part concert film and part fictional narrative, with the latter centering on a roadie played by Dane DeHaan who must go on a mysterious mission for the band during the course of a live performance.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-first-ever-visit-to-china-filmed-for-documentary/

      A six-minute audio report from NPR's "The Record" on METALLICA first-ever visit to China can be streamed using the audio player below. The band played two sold-out shows at the 10,000-capacity Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai on Tuesday (August 13) and Wednesday (August 14). The first night sold out in record time and faster than any other Western act that has played the country before.
      According to NPR, Tuesday night's show saw hawkers selling bootleg METALLICA hand fans, buttons and black T-shirts. The knockoff T-shirts cost $8 each, compared with the genuine article sold inside the arena for $32.
      At a press conference in Shanghai on Wednesday, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked whether he was concerned about the rampant piracy of the band's merchandise in China.
      "The one thing increasingly that we focus our energies is to try to discern between what we can control and what we can't control," Ulrich said. "It is what it is, and that's a whole separate conversation about Chinese copyright issues and so on, which maybe is not the time to do now. But you can't control that."
      The band's current Asian run includes additional stops in South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
      The only other live date on METALLICA's schedule for the rest of 2013 is September 19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
      Next up for METALLICA is the release of the band's 3D movie, "Metallica Through The Never", which arrives in limited release on September 27 before expanding its run on October 4. A soundtrack album arrives on September 24.
      The movie is part concert film and part fictional narrative, with the latter centering on a roadie played by Dane DeHaan who must go on a mysterious mission for the band during the course of a live performance.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-in-china-nprs-the-record-audio-report/

      Official MetOnTour video recap of METALLICA's August 10 appearance at the Summer Sonic festival in Tokyo, Japan can be seen below. The 20-minute clip includes band at rehearsal the night before, guitarist Kirk Hammett in the meet-and-greet with a big fan, and a performance of "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" from the show.
      The band's setlist was as follows:
      01. Hit The Lights
      02. Master Of Puppets
      03. Holier Than Thou

      04. The Four Horsemen
      05. The Day That Never Comes
      06. Carpe Diem Baby
      07. I Disappear
      08. Sad But True
      09. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
      10. Orion
      11. One
      12. For Whom The Bell Tolls
      13. Blackened
      14. Nothing Else Matters
      15. Enter Sandman
      Encore:
      16. Creeping Death
      17. Battery
      18. Seek & Destroy
      METALLICA has revealed the details of "Metallica Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)", the soundtrack companion to the forthcoming groundbreaking 3D feature film "Metallica Through The Never". The two-disc CD set will be released on the band's own record label Blackened Recordings on September 24 and highlights last year's career spanning sets at Rexall Place in Edmonton and Rogers Arena in Vancouver, where the band filmed all performance footage featured in the film. The soundtrack is available for digital pre-order tonight at midnight EST and both the CD and digital album will be available at all retailers. There will also be a vinyl edition of the soundtrack album available in both 33 1/3RPM and special limited numbered 45RPM versions later in the fall.
      "Metallica Through The Never" stars METALLICA, one of the most popular, influential rock bands in history. In this music-driven, 3D motion picture event, award-winning filmmaker Nimród Antal immerses audiences in a bracing, raw and visceral cinematic experience with spectacular live performance footage of METALLICA's most iconic songs — created exclusively for film — combined with a bold, narrative story featuring imagery drawn from the band's trailblazing iconography. Dane DeHaan portrays Trip, a young roadie sent on an urgent mission, during METALLICA's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. The film features dazzling pyrotechnics, the most elaborate live-performance stage ever built and state-of-the-art 3-D photography, captured using up to 24 cameras simultaneously.

      THE CULT frontman Ian Astbury had an unruly fan ejected from the band's August 13 concert at Revolution Live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. According to Boca Raton magazine, Ian "went off on someone near the front of the stage who was texting one minute and, apparently, shouting at the singer the next. In between songs, Astbury took large swigs from his water bottle and spit it at the person in question. Not once, not twice, but three times."
      "You're ignorant — and you're rude," Astbury shouted into the mic. "I call it like I see it ... If you can't handle it, go home. This is a CULT concert!"
      Fan-filmed video footage of the incident can be seen below.
      THE CULT's current "Electric 13" tour sees the band performing its 1987 album "Electric", on its entirety. The live show also includes a second set pulling from the band's eight other studio albums.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ignorant-and-rude-fan-ejected-from-the-cults-fort-lauderdale-concert-video/

      Quality video footage of the Todd La Torre-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE performing the song "Take Hold Of The Flame" on August 2 at Buffalo Chip in Sturgis, South Dakota can be seen below.
      QUEENSRŸCHE's latest, self-titled album sold around 13,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 23 on The Billboard 200 chart. The record arrived in stores on June 25 via Century Media Records.
      "Frequency Unknown", the latest album from the Geoff Tate-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE, opened with around 5,500 units to debut at No. 82.
      "Queensrÿche" marks the debut release from the lineup comprised of Todd La Torre (vocals; ex-CRIMSON GLORY), Michael Wilton (guitar), Parker Lundgren (guitar), Eddie Jackson (bass) and Scott Rockenfield (drums). The drums for the album were recorded at London Bridge Studios in Seattle, Washington with producer James "Jimbo" Barton — the man who engineered and mixed the band's classic 1988 LP, "Operation: Mindcrime", and its 1990 follow-up, "Empire", and co-produced 1994's "Promised Land". The rest of the music and vocals were laid down at several different facilities on the West Coast. The cover artwork was created by Craig Howell, who has previously worked on designs for "Star Wars", SLIPKNOT and "American Idol", to name a few.
      THE BLACK CROWES have revealed their final tour plans for 2013. In addition to their concerts running from September 5 to December 13, the band have announced all-acoustic shows October 18, 19, 21 and 22 at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York and electric shows October 24, 26, 27 and 29 at New York City's Terminal 5. Look for the iconic band to end the tour on a high note December 14 in San Francisco at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. The Port Chester, New York City and San Francisco performances will all feature very special guests; go to www.blackcrowes.comfor all the latest. Tickets for the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York and Terminal 5 in New York City go on sale Friday, August 23 at 12:00 p.m. local time. Tickets for Bill Graham Civic Auditorium go on sale Sunday, September 8 at 10:00 a.m. local time.
      The band have confirmed that after these concerts, THE BLACK CROWES have no future plans for touring, as band members will focus in 2014 on solo releases and projects.
      Lead singer/guitarist Chris Robinson says, "This year in THE BLACK CROWES has reaffirmed my belief in the power of music and the power of love. Can't wait to see what the future holds. Long live rock and roll!"
      Guitarist/vocalist Rich Robinson says: "The tour this year has been incredibly positive. From our own shows, and into the TEDESCHI TRUCKS tour where we found our musical soulmates. Really great vibes all around. I'm looking forward to the fall for some great shows."
      Drummer Steve Gorman said,: "The tour this year has been a great run, and we're looking forward to the fall dates in a lot of our favorite towns. The turnout and response from the fans has been overwhelming. After 23 years of doing all we could to kill this beast — and I mean we really threw everything we had at it but just couldn't get it to die — I think it's obvious that the best course of action is to enjoy it as much as we can."
      THE BLACK CROWES' "Lay Down With Number 13" tour — ending a two-year hiatus — kicked off March 24 with five sold-out U.K. shows. They've been flying high since in the U.S. and in Europe, where they performed June 18 to July 6, including headlining shows, festivals and two stadium concerts with Bruce Springsteen.
      Yesterday (August 15), THE BLACK CROWES wrapped a successful co-headlining summer amphitheater tour with the TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND. They will perform this weekend (August 18) at the Peach festival in Scranton, Saturday before heading out September 6 for various festival and headlining dates.

      According to Amanda Lindner of Patch.com, a spray painted SLAYER logo at a park in Long Island, New York was was confused with a hate crime symbol Tuesday night (August 13).
      One of the buildings at Wicks Park in Commack was marked with black graffiti consisting of the word "SLAYER" and a pentagram.
      After a resident called in the incident, police were initially investigating the vandalism as a hate crime but quickly realized they were on the wrong track.
      The SLAYER logo features a pentagram formed by four swords and a circle with its logotype in the middle. Sometimes the logo appears as the swords pentagram on an eagle, which is controversial because of its resemblance to the Nazi eagle atop the swastika.
      SLAYER has been accused of holding Nazi sympathies due to its song "Angel Of Death", about German doctor Josef Mengele and his horrific "experiments" at the Auschwitz death camp. But late SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who was an ardent collector of World War II memorabilia, explained that the song was in no way intended to glorify Mengele. "I know why people misrepresent it," he told a radio interviewer. "It's because they get a knee-jerk reaction to it. There's nothing I put in the lyrics that says necessarily he was a bad man because to me — well, isn't it obvious? I shouldn't have to tell you that."
      Dave Mustaine of MEGADETH recently took a few minutes to show LoudGuitars.com his jam-room gear on this year's edition of Gigantour, the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by Mustaine. Check out the clip below.
      In addition to MEGADETH, this year's edition of Gigantour featured BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, DEVICE, HELLYEAH, NEWSTED and DEATH DIVISION.
      MEGADETH's latest album, "Super Collider", has sold 61,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It marks MEGADETH's first release since the band's split with Roadrunner Records.
      MEGADETH filmed a video for the "Super Collider" title track on May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
      "That song kind of came from that 'Symphony Of Destruction' corner of my mind," Mustaine told Guitar World magazine. "You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns."
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video-megadeth-mainmans-gigantour-jam-room-gear/
      Professionally filmed video footage of ANTHRAX's August 11 performance at the Bloodstock Open Air festival at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom can be seen below.
      Guitarist Jon Donais (SHADOWS FALL) has been touring with ANTHRAX since Rob Caggiano's departure in January and will continue to play with ANTHRAX for the foreseeable future.
      Speaking to Metal Hammer editor Alexander Milas for the "Metal Hammer" radio show on TeamRock Radio, ANTHRAX's founding rhythm guitarist Scott Ian stated about the band's current second-guitarist situation: "Jon's been with us since February, and I think I can safely say he's passed the audition… [laughs]. I know we haven't said anything official yet, but in my mind, he's the guy. I'm sure some type of official announcement… because in this world, people apparently need that kind of information so they can sleep well at night. But as far as I'm concerned, Jon is the guitar player in ANTHRAX."
      Donais previously stated about playing with ANTHRAX: "I grew up on ANTHRAX, they're the thrash scene, they're one of the 'Big Four,' I'd be crazy to not want to play with them. Initially, Rob called and told me he was leaving the band, and asked if I'd be interested in filling in. Then Scott called me and everything fell into place."
      ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante is recovering from surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. He is expected to rejoin his bandmates on the road on September 13 in San Bernardino, California.
      ANTHRAX's current touring lineup includes former TESTAMENT/SLAYER and current ANIMETAL USA drummer Jon Dette.
      Dette previously filled in for Benante on ANTHRAX's European tour last fall as the support act for MOTÖRHEAD and Australia's Soundwave Festival in February/March.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthrax-pro-shot-footage-of-bloodstock-open-air-performance/

      ANTHRAX singer Joey Belladonna took part in an Epiphone "Bandmates" interview on the Gibson bus on August 11 at the Bloodstock Open Air festival at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom. Check it out below.
[...]
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthrax-singer-talks-about-his-bandmates-in-new-gibson-interview-video/

      ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian and his wife, Pearl Aday, along with ARMORED SAINT/FATES WARNING bassist Joey Vera, will perform at a benefit for Jason Becker and ALS research on Thursday, September 19 at Bimbo's in San Francisco, California.
      For more information, and to purchase tickets, visit Ticketfly.com.
      The DVD version of the documentary film "Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet" was released last December in North America via Kino Lorber.
      The world premiere of "Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet", took place on March 3, 2012 at the Cinequest film festival in San Jose, California at the San Jose Repertory Theatre.
      "Not Dead Yet" won two awards at at the Cinequest: Audience Award for Best Documentary and the Special Jury Prize for Documentary.
      Jason Becker was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, aka Lou Gehrig's Disease) at age 20, shortly after joining David Lee Roth's band for the gold-selling 1991 album "A Little Ain't Enough". Although the disease robbed him of his ability to play guitar — and eventually left him both paralyzed and unable to speak — Becker continues to compose music with the help of computers, collaborators, and a system of communication using eye movements that was devised by his father Gary.
      Even after his once prodigious axe skills left him, Jason's music continued to earn the respect of his peers. Joe Satriani called 2001's "Perspectives"Jason's first recorded work after losing his motor functions (originally self-released in 1996) — "a triumphantly powerful and beautiful album." Fellow virtuosos joined the chorus of praise, including Steve Vai, who said, "Jason has discovered a brilliant source of inspiration within himself. His deep soul searching has resulted in a body of music that reveals courage and insight and is deeply moving."
      Jason's original partner in CACOPHONY, Marty Friedman added, "To call Jason a genius is an understatement. He doesn't cater to trend, target audiences, marketing gimmicks or anything like that. He plays out the emotions from his heart and makes real music that is a salute to the human spirit. Jason is a prodigy and on 'Perspectives' he realizes his miraculous potential."
      Jason's most recent album, 2008's "Collection", is a mix of old recordings and new compositions, with guest guitar work from Satriani, Vai, Friedman, Michael Lee Firkins, and Greg Howe.
      For more on Jason Becker and his fight with ALS, go to www.jasonbeckerguitar.com.
      Paladino's in Reseda, California will host a benefit show this Friday, August 16 for drummer Dave Brown (ex-SOUND BARRIER, MASI, TOTAL ECLIPSE) who is battling cancer. Scheduled to appear are ARMORED SAINT, DC4 (featuring Jeff Duncan of ARMORED SAINT and ODIN and Rowan Robertson, formerly of DIO), and Roy Z (BRUCE DICKINSON, HALFORD, TRIBE OF GYPSIES) and friends. L.A. scene luminaries such as Bernie K. (SOUND BARRIER, MASI, TOTAL ECLIPSE), Brian O'Neal (THE BUSBOYS), Joe Floyd (WARRIOR), Mandy Lion (WWIII, GEORGE LYNCH), Ann Boleyn (HELLION), Betsy Weiss (BITCH), and Rik Fox (STEELER, SIN) are set to take part in an all-star jam. DJ Will of KNAC.com and "That Metal Show" will MC the event. Boleyn confirmed that she will perform two songs that HELLION has not performed in decades. Boleyn has sung publicly only once since 2010.
      Dave "Skavido" Brown is best known for his work with SOUND BARRIER, the first-ever heavy metal band featuring all African-American members to score a major label record deal. The band's debut album, "Total Control", was issued in 1983 by MCA Records; two more independent releases, "Born to Rock" (1984) and "Speed Of Light" (1986), followed before SOUND BARRIER morphed into MASI with the addition of Italian guitarist Alex Masi. Brown recorded the album "Fire in the Rain" (1987) with the group before teaming up with SOUND BARRIER/MASI vocalist Bernie K. and former THE BUSBOYS members Vic Johnson (SAMMY HAGAR'S WABORITAS) and Andre "Dre" Barry in TOTAL ECLIPSE whose one and only album surfaced in 1992 via A&M/Tabu Records.
      The late Ronnie James Dio, who discovered and mentored Boleyn's band HELLION, died in May of 2010, due to stomach cancer.
      Boleyn has supported numerous cancer charities, including the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund and the T.J. Martell Foundation.
      Boleyn explains: "My mother is a cancer survivor and I have lost a numbers of close friends due to cancer."
      She adds: "Many metal musicians and fans have fond memories of SOUND BARRIER and of Dave. In the early '80s, metal bands that did not conform to stereotypes were subjected to racial discrimination, and most often, were simply dismissed by the labels and radio."
      Members of SOUND BARRIER later went on to perform with bands like FISHBONE and MOTHER'S FINEST.
      Boleyn adds: "Hard rock bands like LIVING COLOUR that came late in the decade were rare exceptions. Being based in New York, they had a much better chance than they would have here."
      "It's an irony," Boleyn points out, "because the greatest guitar player in the history of rock was arguably Jimi Hendrix." The problem with racism being a detriment to the career of black rock musicians became so blatant during that time, that the Black Rock Coalition was founded in 1985 by Vernon Reid (LIVING COLOUR), Village Voice journalist Greg Tate, EYE & I singer Dk Dyson, and producer Konda Mason.
      "All of us know someone that has been affected by cancer, and those of us in the metal and hard rock community should support and honor those with cancer, and those that have passed from it," comments Boleyn.
      Organizers are requesting a donation of $15.00 as the entrance fee. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.

      Steven Rosen of Ultimate-Guitar.com recently conducted an interview with guitarist John Petrucci of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: For the "A Dramatic Turn of Events" album, you talked about wanting to do something on a grand scale that was musically interested. Did you continue with that approach on the "Dream Theater" album?
      Petrucci: I think it's building on it, but taking it to the next level. One of the things I really wanted to do on "A Dramatic Turn of Events" was to create something that was sonically very rich and high-def and powerful and I think we accomplished that. But on this album I wanted to take that even further.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: In what ways?
      Petrucci: Get more cinematic with it and more earthy and aggressive and bigger. I wanted a bigger, more forward in-your-face kind of sound. I think that kind of dictated the sounds we went for while we were writing and recording and then ultimately how it was mixed. So yeah, it was kind of building on that, but taking it to the next level. You always need to progress and to try and do something different and kind of have a little bit different take on it and a different perspective. But hopefully make it better as you go.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: You talked about how you wanted the album to sound in the mix and for this album you brought in Richard Chycki. What did he bring to the final sound of the album?
      Petrucci: From the beginning, and the way we set up and started writing and recording this, the concept was to have all of the sounds that would ultimately be contributing to the mix. To have them filed in from day one so while we were writing and building the album we could really hear what it was gonna sound like and how it was shaping up realistically.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: That's a very interesting approach.
      Petrucci: Yeah, so when the songs were in their early stages, they already sounded like kinda what you hear today. So it was like Rich is so intimately a part of what's going on here from day one and it already sounds the way we want it, so it made sense to move forward with him doing that. 'Cause he was kind of already there.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: "Dream Theater" is the first album drummer Mike Mangini has been involved in from the writing stages. Did he bring a different dynamic to the music than Mike Portnoy?
      Petrucci: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely different. Obviously they're two different people so they're gonna bring a different atmosphere and different things to the table. It's like I wish everybody could kind of see what he did. You're hearing it and when you're listening to it some of the stuff he's doing is absolutely mindblowing.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: Mike Mangini's performance on the album was remarkable.
      Petrucci: And a lot of that stuff was done off the cuff, which freaks me out. I'd just be writing and say, "Yeah, Mike, try something to this part." He'll just play and we're standing there and we start laughing. We laugh at him. We're like, "That's just illegal. You shouldn't be able to do that." And he's like, "What?" Plus writing with him was really great because he gets it. He's really in tune with what we're trying to do. If I have a certain idea for a song or if I come up with a riff or a direction, there's nothing worse than working with somebody who's pulled from that and they don't get it.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: He was always on the same page with you musically?
      Petrucci: There's never an instant where he didn't get it. He gets it and he knew right away that this groove in this section needs to be really heavy and this section needs to be technical and this section needs to be more sensitive. He really, really is in tune with what is required at the right moment musically. That says a lot about him not only as a drummer but as a musician. That's a great, great quality to have. Even when I listen back to the album myself, I hear certain things and I'm like, "Wow, that was really, really intuitive for Mike to do what he did there." It's like I didn't think about it at the time but whatever he did to set up a certain section or whatever was just so musical. It was a really amazing experience.
      Ultimate-Guitar.com: By calling this album "Dream Theater", are you trying to define who the band is in 2013?
      Petrucci: Absolutely. Yeah, 100 percent. You nailed it. We've had a long career and we're very fortunate to have been doing this as long as we have. Every time we go into a new album, we put everything into it. We're so into what we do. It's hard when a band has this many albums to convey that to the listener. Because a lot of times as the listener it's very easy to say, "Oh, I like the old stuff. Who cares about the new album?"
      North American metallers ICED EARTH have begun mixing their new album, "Plagues Of Babylon", for a January 2014 via Century Media Records.
      Says ICED EARTH guitarist/mainman Jon Schaffer: "There's quite a selection of epic heaviness on your way, for release early next year.
      "We arrived in Sweden and are heading on to Portugal for a few festivals, and then on Monday, we start the mix!"
      Speaking to Metal4 magazine at last month's Rockharz open-air festival in Germany, Schaffer said about the upcoming CD: "It's a bit of a different thing for us, because it's half of a concept and the other half is [standalone] tracks. Musically, I think it's just another step in the right direction. It's really heavy, it's very melodic. It has a really epic feeling. Even though there isn't, like, a monster, long epic track, the overall feel of the songs is very epic. I mean, there's no 'Dante's Inferno' or 'Gettysburg' or the 'Something Wicked' trilogy or something like that on here, but I'm really happy with it."
      Songtitles set to appear on "Plagues Of Babylon" (among others):
      * Plagues of Babylon
      * Democide
      * Among The Living Dead
      * The Resistance
      * If I Could See You
      * Peacemaker
      * Cthulhu
      * Parasite
      ICED EARTH recently parted ways with drummer Brent Smedley for "personal family reasons." He has since been replaced by Raphael Saini (CHAOSWAVE).
      ICED EARTH has been hitting it relentlessly, with the recent studio album, "Dystopia", being the most toured album in the band's illustrious history.
      One of the many highlights of the "World Dystopia Tour", a headline show at the historic Kourion Amphitheatre in Cyprus, was recently released on Blu-ray, DVD and in many other formats under the title "Live In Ancient Kourion".
      "Dystopia" was released in October 2011 via Century Media Records. The CD marked the band's recording debut with singer Stu Block (INTO ETERNITY), who joined ICED EARTH in March 2011 following the departure of Matt Barlow.

      EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet has issued the following recap of the just-completed world tour from his AVANTASIA project:
      "Friends, finally I have cooled down a little after this extensive AVANTASIA world tour. Finally I have found a few moments to write down my thoughts on the tour.
      "I have been on several world tours — I must have played something like 700 concerts in my life — and I have to say: it's never been so difficult to say goodbye after a tour.
      "The Mystery World Tour was an amazing experience for me. Never before an AVANTASIA tour has been spread out over four months, never before I heard so many bad jokes (from anyone other than me) and never before I came home missing touring so much that it actually hurt, although I was happy to be back with my loved ones and get some rest. I wondered myself what it is that makes the difference between earlier tours and this tour, and I guess it's simple: first of all, the tour was long enough to get used to being around those lovely fellow Avantasians. Second, if I compare it to EDGUY tours: whenever we say goodbye, we know we'll meet a couple of months later to conquer the world again. With AVANTASIA, the future is completely uncertain.
      "I was accused of lying when I hit the road for The Mystery World Tour after I had announced the end in 2011. But you can imagine it is not that easy to rely on a return of AVANTASIA, it depends on a lot of parameters, not at least all the musicians and their personal schedules.
      "I thank God that He gave us the chance to bring that lineup together and do this tour, I hope we will do it again some day, but you can never take that for granted, nor plan it, let alone expect it to happen again. I just hope one day it will happen. For sure, there will be another album in a couple of years. But as much as I would love to do a tour, I do not know if we'll ever find a timeframe in the future that will allow us to bring the project on the road again. The organisation, the schedules, everyone's individual obligations with their individual bands, it's grinding... That's why I am rather thankful that I was given that chance.
      "I wanna thank my agency, All Access, and my road manager, AC, in particular for making the impossible possible. I wanna thank my production manager, FD, for administrating everything with a vengeance and a whip, sending trucks from Slovakia to England and making the show look great from Costa Rica to Canada to Russia to Japan and back. I wanna thank the whole crew, who are the best technicians from East Bumfuck to Bali, and, of course, I wanna thank the immortals who I was given the chance to share the stage with. I will miss everyone of you (even Achim), and I will never forget that tour! I love you all!
      "I also wanna thank YOU people out there who made this tour a very successful tour, who came in thousands to our shows, I enjoyed playing for each and everyone of you! Don't think I take it for granted, I had the time of my life, and I know that I am blessed — having fans and friends like YOU!"
      AVANTASIA made its North American debut on July 7 at the Quebec City Summer Festival (Festival D'été De Québec) in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
      AVANTASIA's new album, "The Mystery Of Time", was released on March 30. The effort was made available as a regular CD, limited-edition vinyl and limited-edition hardcover book with a 28-page booklet containing ten regular songs and two bonus tracks ("The Cross And You", "Death Is Just A Feeling"). The cover artwork was hand-painted by world acclaimed British fantasy artist Rodney Matthews. Among Rodney's most famous artworks are not only album covers for rock legends such as MAGNUM, THIN LIZZY, ASIA and NAZARETH, he has also designed the characters for the TV series "Lavender Castle" and created the covers for novels by British fantasy author Michael Moorcock and many more.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tobias-sammet-issues-recap-of-avantasias-the-mystery-world-tour/
      German TV channel ZDF Kultur spoke with SYSTEM OF A DOWN drummer John Dolmayan earlier tonight (Saturday, August 17) prior to the band's performance at the Rock 'N' Heim festival in Hockenheim, Germany. You can now watch the chat below.
      At the conclusion of SYSTEM OF A DOWN's July 29 concert at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California, Dolmayan announced that the band would release a new studio album prior to the group's next appearance in Los Angeles.
      The following day, SYSTEM OF A DOWN singer Serj Tankian, shot down reports that the band is making plans to make a new studio album, telling fans in a Reddit Ask Me Anything session: "We really appreciate [the fact that the fans want a new studio album from us], but we have to make a record when we think it's time, not anyone else," Serj said.
      "No, that is not true [that we have made plans to begin work on a new album]," he added. "A quick scan of press online will show that we have not yet agreed on a timetable for another record due to its time commitments."
      Tankian also addressed the series of statements that were posted in May on SYSTEM OF A DOWN bassist Shavo Odadjian's Facebook page in which Shavo directly blamed Serj for the band's continued lack of new music, saying that the vocalist was holding the group back.
      "Shavo's comments have been redacted by the author," Serj said. "The truth is above in my first answer."
      He continued: "I am not opposed to making a SYSTEM record at all. It just has to be the right time for us all in the band."
      Tankian has just released two albums through his Serjical Strike Records. "Orca", Tankian's first true symphony, arrived on June 25, while July 23 saw the release of a collaborative jazz-inspired disc called "Jazz-iz Christ".
      SYSTEM OF A DOWN will tour Europe throughout the month of August. After that, Tankian will launch a series of solo orchestral tour dates on September 19 in Kiev, Ukraine.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/system-of-a-down-drummer-new-album-is-coming/
      A private plane carrying members of RATT and DOKKEN was forced to make an emergency landing in Illinois after an apparent fire broke out in the jet's cockpit. The pilot and flight attendant were able to get the fire under control and landed the plane — which was carrying 13 passengers — in Moline/Quad City.
      RATT and DOKKEN are in the middle of a four-city tour with SEBASTIAN BACH and LITA FORD. The package is scheduled to perform tonight (Saturday, August 17) in Wauconda, Illinois followed by an August 18 date in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
      The musicians were reportedly taking ground transportation to Saturday's concert and were expected to make it to the show in time.
      "We are all OK and happy to be alive," RATT's manager Rob Hoffman told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "The tour rolls on!"
      The members of RATT tweeted that they "just made an emergency landing after a fire in the cockpit. We are OK!" DOKKEN bassist Sean McNabb added, "Got hairy but safe! We're good rolling in SUV's to Chicago — tour rolls on."

      A concert featuring Vince Neil, GREAT WHITE and SLAUGHTER was canceled Saturday night (August 17) after an accident involving a garbage truck on Highway 124 near Brooks Road caused a massive power outage in the area of Ford Park in in Beaumont, Texas.
      According to a news release issued by the operators of Ford Park, the outage compromised the ability to safely continue with the performance.
      "We regret this incidence occurred but the band and promoter have agreed to reschedule this show, date to be announced at a later time," the SMG management company said in the news release. "The safety of fans is a priority for all parties involved."
      Purchased tickets will be honored at the future date or refunds can be obtained at point of purchase.

      AVENGED SEVENFOLD's video for the song "Hail To The King" can be seen below. The clip was directed by Syndrome, an award-winning design and live-action directing studio.
      "Hail To The King" is the title track of AVENGED SEVENFOLD's new album, which will be released on August 27. The long-awaited follow-up to 2010's "Nightmare" was once again produced by Mike Elizondo and is the first to be wholly written without drummer and key songwriter James "The Rev" Sullivan, who died in December 2009. Sullivan has since been replaced by Arin Ilejay, a former member of CONFIDE.
      AVENGED SEVENFOLD has announced the "Hail To The King" tour — a massive headlining U.S. arena tour to take place this October and the band's first full scale American tour since 2011. The run of dates will kick off in Chicago, Illinois on Thursday, October 3 and wrap up on October 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Supporting the band on all dates will be special guests DEFTONES and GHOST B.C.
      "Hail To The King" track listing:
      01. Shepherd Of Fire
      02. Hail To The King
      03. Doing Time
      04. This Means War
      05. Requiem
      06. Crimson Day
      07. Heretic
      08. Coming Home
      09. Planets
      10. Acid Rain
      AVENGED SEVENFOLD will celebrate the album release by playing a free show at the Hollywood Palladium on August 26.
      "Hail To The King" lyrics:
      Watch your tongue or have it cut from your head
      Save your life by keeping whispers unsaid
      Children roam the streets now orphans of war
      Bodies hanging in the streets to adore
      Royal flames will carve a path in chaos, bringing daylight to the night
      Death is riding into town with armor, they've come to take all your rights
      Hail to the King
      Hail to the One
      Kneel to the crown
      Stand in the sun
      Hail to the King
      Hail, Hail, Hail the King
      Blood is spilt while holding keys to the throne.
      Born again but it's too late to atone.
      No mercy — from the edge of the blade
      Dare escape and learn the price to be paid
      Let the water flow with shades of red now, Arrows black out all the light
      Death is riding into town with armor, they've come to grant you your rights
      Hail to the King
      Hail to the One
      Kneel to the crown
      Stand in the sun
      Hail to the King
      Hail, Hail, Hail the King
      There's a taste of fear
      When the henchmen call
      Iron fist to tame the land
      Iron fist to claim it all
      Hail to the King
      Hail to the One
      Kneel to the crown
      Stand in the sun
      Hail to the King
      Hail, Hail, Hail the King
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-hail-to-the-king-video-released/
      Drummer Chris Adler of Richmond, Virginia metallers LAMB OF GOD has posted the following update on his Facebook page:
      "Things have been going really well on this [European] trip for us. The band is playing well and much of the hard work we have put in is being rewarded with great slots on the festivals we are doing and huge side shows in between.
      "I feel very lucky to be a part of where we are right now and am enjoying it quite a bit.
      "I've now heard the PROTEST THE HERO record and it's fantastic! [Editor's note: Adler recorded the drum tracks for the new PROTEST THE HERO CD.] I love listening to it and hope you all do as well.
      "I've been asked many times on this tour that since I played drums on the record if I will be touring with them or would consider playing on other projects. I'm fairly sure my schedule won't allow for me to properly join their band and tour. As much as I love the music, I love being with my family too! LOL. We shall see, as it's not even something we have discussed.
      "As for other projects, it's hard to answer that. I was a fan of PROTEST THE HERO and jumped at the chance to step out of my box a little bit, push myself and explore my capabilities. It turned into quite a daunting task, but I'm much better off for it. I think I'd have to evaluate every opportunity in the same way. Obviously my main focus is LAMB OF GOD, it's still my heart and soul and I'm loving being able to get out and share it with you.
      "We've got a few big announcements coming soon regarding tours that will end the 'Resolution' cycle and a little surprise before the end of the year.
      "Stay tuned — and stay metal!"

      Capital Chaos TV has uploaded video footage of CHIMAIRA's August 9 performance at The Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California. Check it out below.
      CHIMAIRA's seventh studio album, "Crown Of Phantoms", sold around 7,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 52 on The Billboard 200 chart. The record arrived in stores on July 30 via eOne Music.
      CHIMAIRA's previous CD, "The Age Of Hell", premiered with more than 7,000 units in August 2011 to debut at No. 54. The band's 2009 effort, "The Infection", registered a first-week tally of 15,000 to land at No. 30. This figure was roughly in line with the opening number of CHIMAIRA's 2007 album, "Resurrection", which shifted 16,000 copies to enter the chart at No. 42.
      CHIMAIRA recently made

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)