3039Slayer, Megadeth, Stone Temple Pilots, Michael Monroe, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

    Aug 13, 2013
      Professionally filmed video footage of SLAYER's August 11 performance at the Bloodstock Open Air festival, which was held at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, can be seen below.
      The band's setlist was as follows:
      01. World Painted Blood
      02. Disciple
      03. War Ensemble
      04. Hallowed Point
      05. At Dawn They Sleep
      06. Mandatory Suicide
      07. Altar Of Sacrifice
      08. Jesus Saves
      09. Spirit In Black
      10. Postmortem
      11. Snuff
      12. Hate Worldwide
      13. Seasons In The Abyss
      14. Hell Awaits
      15. Dead Skin Mask
      16. Raining Blood
      Encore:
      17. South Of Heaven
      18. Angel Of Death
      The official Facebook page of SLAYER's current touring drummer, Paul Bostaph, has released the first photo of the lineup that has spent the past couple of months on the road in Europe, featuring original members Kerry King (guitar) and Tom Araya (bass, vocals) alongside hired musicians Bostaph and Gary Holt (guitar).
      It was announced on May 30 by Araya and King that Bostaph would be behind the drum kit for the first leg of the band's 2013 international tour. EXODUS' Gary Holt is continuing to fill in for fallen guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who died on May 2 from alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver.
      Bostaph was SLAYER's drummer from 1992 until 2001 and recorded four albums with the band — the gold-certified "Divine Intervention" (1994), the 1996 punk covers album "Undisputed Attitude", "Diabolus In Musica" (1998), "God Hates Us All" (2001) that received a Grammy nomination for "Best Metal Performance", as well as the DVD "War At The Warfield" (2001), also certified gold. In addition to SLAYER, Bostaph has been a member of FORBIDDEN, EXODUS, SYSTEMATIC and TESTAMENT.
      SLAYER's 2013 itinerary has the band playing 35 dates that include headline shows as well as a number of major summer festivals in Europe, Eastern Europe and South America between June and October.
      "Paul's a great drummer and a good friend, and we're very happy that he's decided to rejoin the band," said Araya. "We're still pretty numb from the loss of Jeff, but we don't want to disappoint our European and South American fans, and we need to begin moving forward... Having Paul back in the band makes that a whole lot easier."
      Original SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo sat out the band's recent Australian tour due to a contract dispute with the other members of the group. Filling in for him was Jon Dette (TESTAMENT, ANTHRAX).
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slayer-pro-shot-footage-of-entire-bloodstock-open-air-performance/
      Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted performed the classic METALLICA song "Phantom Lord" with MEGADETH last night (Sunday, August 11) at the final show of this summer's Gigantour in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Check out fan-filmed video footage of his appearance below.
      Newsted, who quit METALLICA in February 2001, is the frontman of a new band, simply called NEWSTED, which took part in this year's edition of Gigantour, the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine.
      Speaking to Artisan News at the August 6 NEWSTED signing session at Looney Tunes in West Babylon, New York, Jason stated about how the idea for the jam came about: "It was mostly created by kind of rumor and agents and managers and things like that early on when we were putting together the structure of this tour, that 'maybe you and Jay can play a song.' It was never something that I said or that Dave said, it was [something] that managers said to us."
      He continued: "I'm open to jam with anybody whenever anybody wants to jam — I think that's not really a secret or nothing — so if the dude calls out 'Phantom Lord', I'll sing or play bass guitar or whatever he wants; that's all fine.
      "As a fan, jamming with Dave, coming from back here… 'Cause I was a fan of Dave before we were brothers and peers and stuff like that. So, man, if he wants to jam, I'm open to that, of course."
      Mustaine previously hinted that he would invite Newsted up on stage to perform a song Dave co-wrote during his short tenure with the band.
      Addressing his followers on Twitter, Mustaine wrote: "If I play a song I wrote in @Metallica w/@JasonCNewsted, which should it be?"
      Mustaine then listed the following METALLICA tracks for fans to choose from:
      * Ride The Lightning
      * The Call Of Ktulu
      * Metal Militia
      * Phantom Lord
      * Jump In The Fire
      * The Four Horsemen
      Mustaine, who was one of the original members of METALLICA, was fired from the band by drummer Lars Ulrich in 1983. He was replaced by Kirk Hammett and went on to form MEGADETH and achieve worldwide success on his own.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jason-newsted-joins-megadeth-on-stage-for-performance-of-metallica-classic-video/
      "Out Of Time", the debut single from the new version of STONE TEMPLE PILOTS featuring LINKIN PARK's Chester Bennington, reached the No. 1 position on both the Mediabase Active Rock and Mainstream Rock chart today.
      "We're really thankful to all the people listening to our music that made this happen," says bassist Robert DeLeo. "It feels great on so many levels."
      STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have announced that they will release an EP this fall, in conjunction with a North American tour that kicks off on September 4 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and winds down on September 27 in Las Vegas. The opening act on almost all the dates will be FILTER. This will be the first major run of live dates, as well as the first official recording, since STP fired founding vocalist Scott Weiland earlier this year and recruited Bennington to take over.
      According to The Pulse Of Radio, Robert and Dean DeLeo recently revealed why STONE TEMPLE PILOTS parted way with Weiland. In a radio interview, Robert explained that he thinks that you get to a point in your life where your BS meter starts running down to a certain kind of tolerance and that it wasn't just a musical decision, but it was a business decision.
      Robert added: "It was a quality-of-life decision and that really what it's about. That's where we wanted to be. Chester is a person that's really surrounded by good fortune and that's something you want to be around. It's no longer three guys in a room, trying to make a record or trying to get a tour together — it's four guys in a room."
      Dean explained that they wanted to be able to fulfill their commitment through the band too. He said: "Robert, Eric [Kretz, drums] and I, we want to be able to come to town and give you everything we've got and it was getting to a point where we were unable to do that."
      STP will release the new EP through their own label. It will contain five songs, including "Out Of Time".
      STP fired Weiland in February after reuniting with him in 2010 for a series of tours and one self-titled album. The band had previously been on hiatus since 2002, primarily due to the singer's struggles with drugs and alcohol.
      The group sued Weiland in May, accusing him of using the band's name to advance his solo career, while claiming that his poor performances, late arrivals, and addiction struggles harmed the band's career.
      Weiland has countersued, claiming that the band cannot use the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS name without him.
      Vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, über-energetic frontman and all-round rock 'n' roll legend are just a few things that describe Michael Monroe. Another is badass harmonica player of which his talents shine on his newest single, "Eighteen Angels", set for release August 20. it is the second single from his upcoming studio album "Horns And Halos", which is due out August 27 via Spinefarm Records.
      "Horns And Halos" is the follow-up to the 2011 critically acclaimed "Sensory Overdrive", winner of Classic Rock magazine's "Album Of The Year" and a No. 1 record in Monroe's Finnish homeland. It is a cosmopolitan affair, mixed by Petri Majuri at Seawolf Studios in Finland and written and recorded around the world by Monroe's international posse — bassist Sami Yaffa (HANOI ROCKS, NEW YORK DOLLS), guitarist Steve Conte (NEW YORK DOLLS, COMPANY OF WOLVES), drummer Karl "Rockfist" Rosqvist (CHELSEA SMILES, DANZIG) and Swedish guitar star Dregen (BACKYARD BABIES). Monroe is a frontman whose reputation is genuinely global and whose influence continues to be felt, with musicians of all ages (from Dave Grohl to the original GUNS N' ROSES members) citing his groundbreaking career as a source of inspiration.
      The album's first single released earlier this spring, "Ballad Of The Lower East Side", is a nod to Michael's early days in New York, a city he moved to for a decade following the mid-'80s breakup of glam-punk pioneers HANOI ROCKS (for which he was the frontman). It also appears on "Horns And Halos".
      "Horns And Halos" track listing:
      01. TNT Diet
      02. Ballad Of The Lower East Side
      03. Eighteen Angels
      04. Saturday Night Special
      05. Stained Glass Heart
      06. Horns And Halos
      07. Child Of The Revolution
      08. Soul Surrender
      09. Half The Way
      10. Ritual
      11. Hands Are Tied

      Sammy Hagar will release a star-studded solo set on September 24, called "Sammy Hagar & Friends". Among the high-profile guest performers and/or writers are Hagar's CHICKENFOOT bandmates Michael Anthony, Chad Smith, and Joe Satriani, along with Kid Rock, Ronnie Dunn, JOURNEY's Neal Schon, HEART's Nancy Wilson and various members of MONTROSE. The album will feature covers of BOB SEGER's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" and DEPECHE MODE's "Personal Jesus".
      Asked in a brand new interview with RollingStone.com if he was able to get every guest musician that he wanted, Hagar said: I didn't really want to say this, but I'm completely honest: James Hetfield [METALLICA] is a dear friend and we hang out in Hawaii a lot. Kid Rock did the duet on 'Knockdown Dragout', which he recorded for me instantly. I would've just as soon had James Hetfield do it, but I ran into Kid, because I did that Detroit show with him, and we were communicating about other stuff and about his tour, so I just spontaneously asked him to sing on the track. And, boom, it got done. After he finished it, I thought that I would get James to sing just the 'Knockdown! Dragout!' part. I sent it to him and told him Kid Rock was on there and the whole thing, and he got back to me and said, quote-unquote, 'I'm completely flattered that you would want my sailor-assed voice on your record.' And then he said, ' . . . but it isn't my style.' And I said, 'It's OK. I still love you, James.'"
      He added: "James has become just such a great frontman. He's really powerful, and he doesn't bullshit. He's not up there doing cheap shit to become a good frontman, like I do. I'll use a stupid line like, 'Are we having any fun yet?' just to get a reaction. And I know how to say something right before you end a song, so the band ends it and you get a big giant cheer because of something I said, and it sounds like they loved the song. I know all them little old veteran tricks. James doesn't even use that shit and he's still got charisma up the ass. He's really strong, man.
      "I really wanted him on there, but it doesn't fit. I was cheating by sending him that song, because if he would've heard the whole album — if a METALLICA fan would've heard this album and bought it because he was on there, they would be pissed off. This isn't a METALLICA record, you know? But he's my friend, and I would've loved to have had him on it."

      Fan-filmed video footage of former PANTERA and current DOWN singer Philip Anselmo performing on August 11 at the Heavy MTL festival at Parc Jean-Drapeau in Montreal, Quebec, Canada can be seen below.
      Anselmo's career-first solo album, "Walk Through Exits Only", sold around 8,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart.
      Produced by Anselmo and Michael Thompson, and recorded over the past couple of years at Philip's New Orleans studio, Nodferatu's Lair, with his band THE ILLEGALS — guitarist Marzi Montazeri (ex-SUPERJOINT RITUAL) and drummer José Manuel Gonzales (WARBEAST) — "Walk Through Exits Only" is abrasive, aggressive, anthemic and 100% Anselmo. The album's eight songs are as unstrained as it gets, from "Battalion Of Zero" to "Usurper's Bastard Rant", to the album's title track that goes against the grain and right through the exits. Brash, brutal guitars cut through punishing percussion as Anselmo screams with uncompromising ferocity and uncontainable fire.
      Even though "Walk Through Exits Only" has just been released, Anselmo tells Billboard.com that he is planning on making more new music available before the end of the year.
      "I know for a fact I do have two songs that I'll release strictly for the upcoming Housecore Horror (film) festival at the end of October in Austin, Texas," Anselmo says. "Those two songs, I think, musically flow together pretty fuckin' well. They're very sarcastic, very tongue-in-cheek. It's all part of the ol' Philip Anselmo fucked-up world — and I don't mean drunk or wasted. I mean just fuckin' crazy. It's crazy around here!"
      According to Anselmo, he worked on an estimated 15-17 songs for "Walk Through Exits Only", which was issued via his own Housecore Records (MRI/Megaforce)
      "I could've put on any number (of songs) I wanted, but for me, these eight songs all together, 40-something minutes, that's my idea of a proper listening length," he tells Billboard.com. "When you start to get longer it gets a little redundant and boring, and I didn't want to bore anybody."

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video-philip-anselmo-performs-pantera-classics-at-heavy-mtl-festival/

      Fan-filmed video footage of LAST IN LINE — the band featuring DEF LEPPARD/ex-DIO guitarist Vivian Campbell alongside fellow founding DIO members Vinny Appice, Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell, plus singer Andrew Freeman, who has previously fronted HURRICANE and LYNCH MOB — performing the song "Don't Talk To Strangers" on August 10 at the Bloodstock Open Air festival at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, can be seen below.
      LAST IN LINE played its first-ever show (a warm-up to the band's U.K. tour) on August 3 at Slidebar in Fullerton, California.
      The band's setlist was as follows:
      01. Stand Up And Shout
      02. Straight Through The Heart
      03. King Of Rock And Roll
      04. Don't Talk To Strangers
      05. Sacred Heart
      06. Evil Eyes
      07. Holy Diver
      08. Caught In The Middle
      09. Egypt (The Chains Are On)
      10. I Speed At Night
      11. The Last In Line
      12. Invisible
      13. Shame On The Night
      14. Rainbow In The Dark
      Encore:
      15. Gypsy
      16. We Rock
      LAST IN LINE performs material from the early DIO records that Campbell appeared on.
      Speaking to David "Gus" Griesinger of BackstageAxxess.com at this past January's NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California, Campbell stated about reuniting with the original DIO band: "I'm excited about that. We're calling it LAST IN LINE after the second [DIO] album. It's the original DIO band — myself, Vinny Appice on drums, Jimmy Bain on bass, Claude Schnell on keyboards, and we found a terrific singer called Andy Freeman, who can totally do justice to the songs. Actually, he doesn't sound anything like Ronnie [James Dio], which is great, [because] I don't wanna draw that comaprison. Ronnie was a very unique singer, but Andy is a great singer in his own right, and he certainly sings the songs very respectfully.
      "The original band, we actually wrote the majority of that material as a band, so I feel like we're entitled to go out and play it. I don't think we're a tribute band or a cover band or anything like that.
      "There's obviously a big legacy of DIO music, and I think I'm right in saying that most people would think that those early DIO albums are the strongest, so we are just chuffed to play it."
      Campbell and Ronnie James Dio worked together on the first three DIO albums 1983's "Holy Diver", 1984's "The Last in Line" and 1985's "Sacred Heart" — before Irishman Campbell left to join WHITESNAKE in 1987.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/last-in-line-quality-fan-filmed-video-footage-of-bloodstock-open-air-performance/

      Danish/American hard rockers ROYAL HUNT have completed all songwriting for their new album and rehearsals/pre-production will begin in a couple of weeks. The material has been described as a continuation of the band's last CD, "Show Me How To Live", but with new elements in in both the songwriting and production departments.
      In order to upgrade its trademark sound, ROYAL HUNT is planning to employ a large number of classical/orchestra players in the studio as well as a large choir.
      ROYAL HUNT's new album is expected to be released in November this year through Marquee/Avalon (Japan and Southeast Asia) and Frontiers (Europe and North America).
      Frontiers Records released ROYAL HUNT's new box set, "20th Anniversary - Special Edition", on November 23, 2012 in Europe and January 21, 2013 in North America.
      After the highly successful 20th-aniversary tour in support of ROYAL HUNT's latest album, "Show Me How To Live", ROYAL HUNT decided to celebrate the occasion with this very special "best-of" package containing three CDs and one DVD. The release will include the best ROYAL HUNT songs from all 11 albums, a brand new song plus three newly recorded acoustic versions of three additional tracks and a DVD featuring all the promotional video clips shot by the band during their long ride.

      Quality fan-filmed video footage of the Finnish epic metallers WINTERSUN performing the song "The Way Of The Fire", from their forthcoming album, "Time II", on August 7 at the Theatre of Living Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania can be seen below.
      After several sold-out shows last year on their inaugural North American co-headlining tour with ELUVEITIE, WINTERSUN has returned to North American shores once again for a headlining tour this August/September. Joining them are Italian symphonic death metal champions FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE, melodic tech-death kings ARSIS and up-and-comers STARKILL.
      Says WINTERSUN: "We're thrilled to return to North America for a full-scale headliner tour in August and September! It will be our first longer own headlining tour ever and this time, without any setlist length limitations, we'll be able to offer the North American crowds a special show — representing both the 'Wintersun' and 'Time I' albums. There might also be some surprises in the setlist as well... We are really looking forward to sharing the live magic with YOU, all the fans out there!"
      WINTERSUN's "Time I" was nominated in the "Metal Album Of The Year" category at this year's Emma Gaala (Finnish Grammy equivalent), which was held on March 1 at Barona Areena in Espoo, Finland.
      "Time I" sold nearly 4,000 copies in its first week of release in the United States to land at position No. 109 on The Billboard 200 chart.
      Professionally filmed video footage of EXODUS' August 11 performance at the Bloodstock Open Air festival, which was held at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, can be seen below.
      EXODUS in taking part in a European tour of 17 cities, with stops in Barcelona, Dublin, London and more. Although SLAYER is currently tapping the talents of guitarist Gary Holt for their European tour, Holt is confirmed to perform at select EXODUS dates. When Holt is not performing with EXODUS, HEATHEN guitarist Kragen Lum will fill in on guitar.
      EXODUS recently revealed two brand new, exclusive t-shirt designs, available now only via their official merch store at this location. The new designs, "Only Death Decides" and "Horned Skull", come with a free sticker (with mail order only).
      EXODUS' latest album, "Exhibit B: The Human Condition", was released in North America on May 18, 2010 via Nuclear Blast Records.
      The CD sold around 4,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 114 on The Billboard 200 chart.
      EXODUS' previous album, "The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A", opened with 3,600 units back in October 2007.
      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/exodus-pro-shot-footage-of-entire-bloodstock-open-air-performance/
      Fan-filmed video footage of KING DIAMOND's August 9 performance at the Bloodstock Open Air festival, which was held at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, can be seen below.
      KING DIAMOND in December signed a new three-album worldwide deal with Metal Blade Records.
      After a six-year touring hiatus, KING DIAMOND triumphantly returned to the stage in 2012 for European festivals Hellfest and Sweden Rock.
      King, 56, whose real name is Kim Bendix Petersen, underwent open-heart triple-bypass surgery in November 2010. He has since completed his cardiac rehabilitation program and has stopped smoking entirely, changed his diet and is getting regular exercise.
      In a February 2013 interview with Metal Sucks, King Diamond stated: "I had to change my diet and become a nutritional expert, eat much better food. I stopped smoking; haven't had a drag. [My wife] Livia quit, too. We walk at least five days a week.
      "I felt the benefits during two shows we did [last year]. My voice is now clearer than when I started singing. It was like always driving a used car and suddenly you have enough money to buy a new car. It felt brand new! That's how my voice feels.
      "I breathe different now than I used to. In the past [when we played live], it would been like [makes a gasping noise]. Now I go off stage and start talking to close friends…. I feel like I used to live in a house with ten windows and now I have twenty windows in the house. There's so much I can see and I pay more attention to what I do see.
      "My philosophy hasn't changed but I don't take anything for granted."
      King Diamond made his long-anticipated return to the stage with his MERCYFUL FATE bandmates Hank Shermann, Timi Hansen and Michael Denner on December 7, 2011 at the second of four intimate shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco as part of METALLICA's week-long celebration of its 30th anniversary as a band for fan club members only.
      KING DIAMOND received a Grammy nomination in the "Best Metal Performance" category for the track "Never Ending Hill" off the group's latest album, "Give Me Your Soul … Please".
      "Give Me Your Soul ... Please" entered the Swedish national chart at position No. 28. The CD also landed at No. 58 on the Danish chart (the second highest new entry on the chart behind VELVET REVOLVER).
      "Give Me Your Soul ... Please" sold 4,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 174 on The Billboard 200 chart.
      Former KORN drummer David Silveria says that the band's current musical output is "not funky and groovy" like the early material the California-based group wrote and recorded while he was playing with them.
      Asked by fans on his Facebook page if he has heard the new KORN single "Never Never", Silveria replied: "For all the fans asking, the answer is no, I have not heard a new KORN song. All I can say is I'm sure it's not funky and groovy like the original KORN. I don't even need to hear it to know that."
      Silveria in February pleaded guilty to a charge of allegedly driving under the influence. In exchange, prosecutors dropped the hit-and-run charge in connection with the March 2012 incident in which the 40-year-old musician — who played with KORN for 13 years — rear-ended another car on his way to breakfast in Huntington Beach, California.
      Silveria was sentenced to three years of informal probation, a three-month first offender program, and he was ordeded to attend a M.A.D.D. victim impact panel.
      Silveria last year joined forces with ANYONE members Riz Story and Miki Black in a brand new project called INFINIKA.
      David left KORN in late 2006 in order to focus on family life along with running his steak house and sushi restaurant.
      Current KORN drummer Ray Luzier has been a member of the band since 2007.
      Luzier is known for his high-profile gigs with David Lee Roth, Jake E. Lee and ARMY OF ANYONE.

      Irish metallers STORMZONE will release their fourth album, "Three Kings", on September 2 via the U.K. label Metal Nation Ltd.
      The official video for the CD's title track can be seen below.
      Formed in 2006, STORMZONE originally signed to U.K. hard rock label Escape Music. 2007 saw this company release the band's debut album, "Caught In The Act", in Europe where its impact gained the band attention in Japan and the CD saw a release there shortly afterwards.
      Over the next few years, STORMZONE concentrated on extensive touring and supported bands such as Y&T, TESLA, STRYPER, SAXON, CINDERELLA, L.A. GUNS, WINGER and WHITE LION as well as securing great positions at festivals in Europe, including Wacken Open Air, Sweden Rock, Lorca Rock in Spain and Headbangers Open Air. The band developed a heavier sound over the years and recorded its second album, "Death Dealer", which was released by German metal label SPV/Steamhammer. This CD was produced by the legendary Neal Kaye, the man widely regarded as the person who discovered IRON MAIDEN. The live work continued in support of this new album, and while touring with TESLA in the U.K., the band came to the attention of head of Metal Nation Ltd., Jess Cox. Jess was the original singer in NWOBHM band TYGERS OF PAN TANG and he formed a lasting bond with the band, which was to see him eventually become their manager. Jess secured a deal with SPV for the band's third album, "Zero To Rage", and this was released throughout Europe to great reviews in 2011.
      And so to album number four for this Irish metal five-piece. Free of all contracts in 2013, the band wrote and recorded "Three Kings" and with regards to which label was going to release it there was no doubt in the minds of STORMZONE as to who that was going to be. Seeing as the band had just signed a management deal with Steve Simms at Blink Music Management, as that company were based in Belfast, this allowed Jess Cox to sign the band to his Metal Nation label to maintain the relationship he had built with them and now he could put all his efforts into promoting STORMZONE and "Three Kings" as head of their record label. Jess and the band met at the Metal Assault festival in Germany earlier in 2013 and agreed that there would be no better label than Metal Nation to have the best interests of STORMZONE at heart. A great relationship had already been formed and the legacy of Jess and the label in the world of the NWOBHM was important to the everyone's decision to sign the five-year, three-album deal he offered them.
      "Three Kings" track listing:
      01. The Pass Loning
      02. Night Of The Storm
      03. Stone Heart
      04. Three Kings
      05. Alive
      06. B.Y.H.
      07. Beware In Time
      08. Wallbreaker
      09. I Am The One
      10. Never Trust
      11. Out Of Eden
      12. The Pain Inside
      13. Spectre
      STORMZONE is:
      Steve Moore – Guitar
      John "Harv" Harbinson - Lead Vocals
      Graham McNulty - Bass
      Davy Bates - Drums
      David Shields - Guitar

      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/stormzone-three-kings-video-released/
      In a new interview with Bloody Disgusting, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE guitarist Tom Morello revealed that he is working on a new heavy rock album, to be released sometime in 2014. The effort, which may not be issued under the NIGHTWATCHMAN banner (unlike Morello's previous solo releases), "will be the first time since RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE or AUDIOSLAVE that I've made a really big rock record," Tom said. "It's just time to rock and I've written a batch of songs with huge riffs and huge grooves. I'm working it out with my band now and we're about five songs deep at this point, but we're taking our time with it. It will definitely be a release-the-hounds effort."
      Morello's third folk-oriented album under the THE NIGHTWATCHMAN name, "World Wide Rebel Songs", came out in 2011 via New West Records.
      Tom recently joined the lineup of BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND for a series of shows in Australia while veteran E STREET BAND member Steven Van Zandt was filming a new TV show.
      Professionally filmed video footage of FOZZY's August 11 performance at the Bloodstock Open Air festival, which was held at Catton Park, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, can be seen below.
      The lead single from FOZZY's new album, "Sin And Bones", "Sandpaper" features guest vocals by M. Shadows of AVENGED SEVENFOLD. Directed by Sean McEwen, the accompanying video is inspired by horror classic "Evil Dead", with Shadows playing the role of FOZZY's evil puppet master.
      Jericho told Loudwire about the "Sandpaper" clip, "It kind of started from that and then we said, 'What if we do a whole 'Evil Dead'-type homage?' And then we found this bad-ass cabin in the woods in Atlanta, and just everything kind of fell together from there. We found, right by the cabin, there was a civil war burial ground, and there was this creepy bridge that was near it, and the cabin couldn't have been more perfect for what we were looking for."
      Asked how the Shadows collaboration came about, Jericho told LocalBozo.com: "Shad's a friend of mine and when I was recording the vocals, I wasn't really feeling the one part: 'a cat scratch whiplash / a witch hunt in black.' So I thought it'd be cool to have somebody else do it, like a calm response. So I called Matt and asked him if he'd be interested. I knew they were off and he was at home, so he's like, 'Send me the song and I'll see what I think.' I sent it to him and he really dug it. He was a fan of ours from before anyways — he liked a bunch of our songs. He thought that 'Sandpaper' was one of the catchiest choruses that we'd ever done and so he kind of took it and laid down the part like I asked him to and then he also rearranged the song a bit — gave it a little bit of a different arrangement, streamlined it, made it a little bit more compact, and in my opinion made it a better song. So not only did he sing what I asked him to, he also put his own spin on it and really went above and beyond to create this amazing song that's just been doing huge for us since it came out. So it was cool. It was cool on a professional standpoint, on a creative standpoint, and on a friendship standpoint to have him involved."
      "Sin And Bones" was released on August 14, 2012 (one day earlier internationally) via FOZZY's new label, Century Media Records. The CD sold around 3,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 143 on the Billboard 200 chart. The effort landed at position No. 1 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
      THE MAN-EATING TREE — the atmospheric metal band featuring former SENTENCED drummer Vesa Ranta alongside current/former members of POISONBLACK, REFLEXION and EMBRAZE — has issued the following update:
      "Our band has been working on a material for the third record for over a year now, with some very promising results.
      "A few months ago, we went through all the material we'd already come up with and decided which songs we would continue with and would probably end up on the next THE MAN-EATING TREE record. At the end of August we're about to enter the studio. We're excited and certain that once again we've found some new elements to enrich our music. In the studio we have also some new things going on, this time we'll be working with the producer/musician Aksu Hanttu.
      "Describing our own music is always difficult, but you could say that our basic sound is getting somewhat heavier and more somber, but you still definitely recognize the old THE MAN-EATING TREE sound. Our new singer, Antti Kumpulainen, brings some new nuances to our sound. With him we've done more demo recordings than ever before."
      Says Kumpulainen: "I knew that my longtime friend Janne had this new band and I'd heard both 'Vine' and 'Harvest' and really liked the atmosphere there was. But what I didn't know was that THE MAN-EATING TREE were looking for a new singer. So after a brief discussion with the members of the band, it became very clear that I wanted to be a part of THE MAN-EATING TREE.
      "I've always been into music that has the light and the shade in it, some kind of 'the beauty and the beast' mentality.
      "For me, music and lyrics together create an atmosphere that's passionate, cathartic, beautiful, somber. Some sort of emotional passage which eventually will become cathartic.
      "I have various musical inspirations, DEFTONES, NINE INCH NAILS, ALICE IN CHAINS, CULT OF LUNA, KATATONIA, PORTISHEAD and A PERFECT CIRCLE, to name some. But my main inspiration comes from the highs and the lows of our everyday lives."
      Adds Ranta: "Like I told you before, for the last year our band has been working hard with the new material. At the same time, our keyboardist Heidi Määttä was studying elsewhere in Finland. After her studies she felt that she's no longer part of our band and therefore could not continue. There's no drama, we just grew apart, that's all. THE MAN-EATING TREE wants to thank Heidi for everything and wishes all the best for her."
      THE MAN-EATING TREE is:
      Antti Kumpulainen - Vocals
      Janne Markus (ex-POISONBLACK] - Guitar
      Antti Karhu (CLOCK PARADOX) - Guitar
      Mikko Uusimaa (REFLEXION) - Bass
      Vesa Ranta (SENTENCED) - Drums
      THE MAN-EATING TREE's sophomore album, "Harvest", was released in November 2011 via Century Media Records. The CD was once again helmed by producer Hiili Hiilesmaa (HIM, SENTENCED, AMORPHIS) and marked the recording debut of guitarist Antti Karhu.
      THE MAN-EATING TREE's debut album, "Vine", came out in Finland on September 22, 2010 via Cobra Records and in other territories through Century Media Records.

      Southern California alternative rock veterans SMILE EMPTY SOUL have revealed the cover art and track listing for their sixth studio album, "Chemicals", due out October 1 on the band's new imprint, Two Disciples Entertainment.
      "Chemicals", a record vocalist/guitarist Sean Danielsen describes as "a very raw album for today's standards," will be the debut release on the new label. In conjunction with Pavement Entertainment, Two Disciples Entertainment will see the band controlling all aspects of marketing and promotion for the new record and impending tours.
      Commented Danielsen: "We've been on a different label with every release in our career, and we were tired of not being the priority.
      "We started our own label with a business partner who's been a great friend to us over the last 10 years, and found distribution through some other longtime friends of ours. Now we're running the campaign ourselves and we're totally in control, doing what we feel needs to be done."
      According to the vocalist, fans can expect the same emotional rock the band has delivered since its inception in 1998, but with an evolved edge, sharpened from over a decade on the road.
      "'Chemicals' still has our signature sound," he adds, "but it has its own feel apart from our other work."
      And with regards to the album title, "'Chemicals' made so much sense to us because of the day and age we live in. We're all eating, drinking, and breathing chemicals on a daily basis and there's no escape."
      "Chemicals" track listing:
      01. Black And Blue
      02. False Alarm
      03. Chemicals
      04. Balance
      05. Swim
      06. New Low
      07. Real
      08. Sitting Ducks
      09. Mechanical Rationality
      10. Landslide
      SMILE EMPTY SOUL will kick off a string of summer tour dates later this month leading up to the release of "Chemicals" this October.
      http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/smilemptysoulchemicals_638.jpg

      Montreal, Quebec, Canada-based death metallers KATAKLYSM have revealed the alternate cover art for their new album, "Waiting For The End To Come". The artwork by Eliran Kantor (TESTAMENT, HATEBREED) will be featured on the deluxe digipak and LP versions of their new album, which will be released on October 29 in North America via Nuclear Blast. The previously released cover by Peter Sallai (SABATON) will be featured on the standard jewel case and limited edition cassette tape versions.
      "This other version of the new art made by Eliran Kantor represents a more iconic and epic approach,” commented vocalist Maurizio Iacono. "A man representing all of humanity, shaking the foundation of existence and ultimately beginning the process of destruction. The main foundation is depicted here as the famous KATAKLYSM 'tribal sun' logo. It does not represent the end of KATAKLYSM by any means; more the beginning of a new era after the end of a certain existence."
      The follow-up to 2010's "Heaven's Venom", "Waiting For The End To Come" was recorded by KATAKLYSM guitarist Jean-François Dagenais, who has previously worked with MALEVOLENT CREATION, MISERY INDEX and DESPISED ICON, among others, and mixed by Chris "Zeuss" Harris (SUFFOCATION, HATEBREED, ARSIS).
      As previously reported, KATAKLYSM has recruited ex-NEURAXIS drummer Oli Beaudoin to sit behind the kit during the recording sessions for "Waiting For The End To Come". Beaudoin is also playing all of KATAKLYSM's currenty announced shows.
      Drummer Max Duhamel announced on April 8 that he was taking a break from KATAKLYSM to deal with issues related to alcohol abuse.
      "Waiting For The End To Come" alternate cover:

      "Waiting For The End To Come" standard cover:
      http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/kataklysmwaitingcdstandard.jpg