Re: [ic706] Re: SGC 237 Smartuner vs. Screwdriver ???

  • Martin Moerman
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1 1:08 AM
      Hi Murray,

      Nice report, need to have a look at the screwdriver aswell. will check it
      out in dayton in may. Did you change your AH-4 allready to Marine version
      ?

      /Martin

      On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 ve3hi@... wrote:

      > Dave:
      > Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been on vacation and
      > mobiling all over the continent. I installed an ICOM IC70MkIIg in the
      > Windstar. I picked up an ICOM AH-4 at the same time. And... I picked
      > up a High Sierra HS-1500 "screwdriver" HF antenna as well, at the
      > same time. I decided to install the HS-1500 first. The intention was
      > to install the AH-4 and a plain vanilla whip after the HS-1500 and to
      > compare them..... to make a long story short.... I have no reason to
      > do so. The performance of the HS-1500 is so outstanding that I cannot
      > imagine anything currently on the market outperforming it. I have to
      > state that I have a full set of Hustler whips and a full set of
      > helical HF antennas and these will be going up for sale on eBay
      > shortly. I am going to keep the AH-4 however.... for portable
      > operation with a long wire antenna or for use on a boat (should I
      > decided to indulge) with an insulated backstay.
      >
      > I can spout off all of the technical mumbo jumbo... but in the end,
      > experience is the best reference for any product. And I can state
      > without hesitation that the High Sierra HF Mobile antenna is the BEST
      > antenna that I have ever used in 35 years of hamming.
      >
      > Oh... by the way. I worked all continents in the first few hours I
      > had it installed. And in the past 3.5 weeks I have worked 50+
      > countries including several pileups.
      >
      > 73
      > Murray VE3HI

    • Murray Lampert
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 1 4:53 PM
        I will second the motion with regard to Don's book. I ordered it before
        installation of my station. It is, IMHO, a MUST read for anyone getting
        ready to go mobile. Lots of pics to give you mounting ideas, lots of good
        information. I ordered mine online, paid by credit card, and it was in my
        mailbox by the time I got there.

        Don's antennas are the grand-daddy of screwdriver antennas and we
        sure owe him a vote of thanks for the book and the antennas.

        Murray VE3HI