Re: Fwd: Re: Ibogaine

  • Oleg Gorfinkel
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 1999
      >I am wondering if other people on the list get these empty posts too.

      I've been getting them, too, mostly coming from Anna Morton. I believe
      her mail program is using some obscure encoding that is not recognized
      by many of the mail readers out there, ours included.

      Anna, are you reading this? If you need help sorting this out, you can
      e-mail me privately and I'll try to help (include the name of the mail
      reader you are using and check the Options to see if it's set to use
      any specific encoding for message body).

      Cheers, Oleg.
      -------------------------------
      Oleg Gorfinkel <og@...>
      \
      / "patience = hope + fear + resignation + faith"
      \
    • Karen Freese
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 1999
        Fish..
        I have never received an empty post like you describe.
        It sounds like your email program may not be reading certain types of
        transmissions? Or is it possible that it converts it to a .txt or .rtf
        attachment?

        I really couldn't tell you more without knowing more. But, I think it
        might be something along those lines, rather than "getting lost".
        Usually, you will not be able to receive the entire post rather than
        having just the body removed.

        **s**

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
          Thanks for your response. I think Oleg figured it out. Most of my
          empty posts are coming from Anna as well so I think it has to do with
          some sort of compatibility between the two email clients. I am just
          using the email client built into my netscape browser. It is a pretty
          generic email application but it will read most of the standard forms of
          email around and I have never had problems reading any email I have ever
          recieved prior to this.
          --Fish

          Karen Freese wrote:

          > Fish..
          > I have never received an empty post like you describe.
          > It sounds like your email program may not be reading certain types of
          > transmissions? Or is it possible that it converts it to a .txt or .rtf
          > attachment?
          >
          > I really couldn't tell you more without knowing more. But, I think it
          > might be something along those lines, rather than "getting lost".
          > Usually, you will not be able to receive the entire post rather than
          > having just the body removed.
          >
          > **s**

        • mirror
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
            I too recieve empty emails, and I`ve found if you go to view, scroll down to
            `page source` the complete message can be read there. hope this helps,
            mirror

          • Anna Morton
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
              I received some empty mails recently too.
              I still cannot read the post from" suicidal" . Perhaps it is the Y2K
              problems starting already?
              There is a virus now going around as an exe. mail file. Check any received
              files before you open them, unless you know the sender.
              There are some viruses that can attach themselves to any files, also, so be
              very careful in this last month of the Christian Era.
              annamorton

            • Anna Morton
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 1999
                I get empty posts too.
                I have complained already to the Mindspring who is my provider, but
                there seems to be little improvement.
                Most of my mail with my other address ( quetzalcoatl) has been
                systematically send to someone else. It was only the kindness of this
                person to forward it to me.
                But now I go to "view" and can read it just as well.
                Perhaps there is a problem with the Netscape that I use to read and
                respond to the mail, or we are in Y2K already.
                Well, let me know if it continues and I will stop writing mails for a
                while.
                anna

                Fish wrote:

                > I am wondering if other people on the list get these empty posts too.
                > This post had nothing in it whatsoever. Was that the same situation for
                > everybody? Also, I get empty posts like this coming from the ibo list
                > about 2 or 3 times a week. Does everybody else get empty posts that
                > frequently? I have not noticed that they originate with the same person
                > or people but I will try and pay attention to that in the future. I
                > just don't think that people are intentionally sending empty posts to
                > the list and I can't believe that that many accidental empty posts get
                > sent either. It seems to me that somewhere along the line the contents
                > must be getting lost but I am curious as to whether or not the rest of
                > you are getting the contents or not, so I can try and narrow down where
                > exactly the contents are getting lost.
                > --Fish

              • Fish
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 1999
                  I am able to read them when I go to view page source also. So I think
                  it must have something to do with campatibility issues. Obviously the
                  content is still there, it is just not being displayed. So I don't
                  think mindspring or any other isp is to blame on this one. Interesting
                  that you also use netscape though, you would think that the same
                  program, even if we are using different versions (I have communicator
                  4.7), would not have problems. I have seen all of your recent posts
                  however. The last post that appeared empty to me and I was forced to
                  read by viewing the page source was the one with the joke about the
                  rabbit in the woods and the various ways the CIA, FBI, and LAPD went
                  after it. Hilarious joke by the way.
                  --Fish

                  Anna Morton wrote:

                  > I get empty posts too.
                  > I have complained already to the Mindspring who is my provider, but
                  > there seems to be little improvement.
                  > Most of my mail with my other address ( quetzalcoatl) has been
                  > systematically send to someone else. It was only the kindness of this
                  > person to forward it to me.
                  > But now I go to "view" and can read it just as well.
                  > Perhaps there is a problem with the Netscape that I use to read and
                  > respond to the mail, or we are in Y2K already.
                  > Well, let me know if it continues and I will stop writing mails for a
                  > while.
                  > anna
                  >
                  > Fish wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am wondering if other people on the list get these empty posts too.
                  > > This post had nothing in it whatsoever. Was that the same situation for
                  > > everybody? Also, I get empty posts like this coming from the ibo list
                  > > about 2 or 3 times a week. Does everybody else get empty posts that
                  > > frequently? I have not noticed that they originate with the same person
                  > > or people but I will try and pay attention to that in the future. I
                  > > just don't think that people are intentionally sending empty posts to
                  > > the list and I can't believe that that many accidental empty posts get
                  > > sent either. It seems to me that somewhere along the line the contents
                  > > must be getting lost but I am curious as to whether or not the rest of
                  > > you are getting the contents or not, so I can try and narrow down where
                  > > exactly the contents are getting lost.
                  > > --Fish

                • Guy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 1999
                    I received the post "entheogens and the movement" from Anna Morton, empty, as
                    well. And more mails from the list are received empty, too (with the re: line,
                    only).
                    Just as you proposed, me too shall watch on which mails exactly arrive without
                    text, perhaps then we can find out what the reason is.
                    Actually, I don't think it's the providers who are to blame.

                    Guy