Re: Ibogaine and Anxiety Dis-orders

  • yernest@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 1998
      Patrick Walsh wrote:

      > Ibogaine and Anxiety Dis-orders
      >
      > Hello List,
      >
      > I am posting in order to seek info regarding the effectiveness
      > of Ibogaine in terms of long term cure/relief of anxiety dis-orders
      > such as social phobia and the like - which apparently affects
      > 5-10% of the population, myself included. People who are badly affected
      > by anxiety have a high (like 50%) chance of either developing depression
      > or alcoholism.
      >
      > I have heard that it has major theraputic benefits but I thought
      > that I would post to see if there was any info out there, before I
      > spend a whole pile of money.

      Dear Patrick, don't apologize. my addiction started from depression.
      Unfortunately, I still cannot afford treatment. But if it does treat
      anxiety, it could perhaps become legal in the U.S. more easily and help
      thousands of sufferers, as you suggested, including my younger sister.
      Thank's for any research you plan to do on this and keep us informed.
      Lisa
    • yernest@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 1998
        Keith, How is 5 -htp used for a 14 yr old with anxiety disorders?
        Thank's Lisa

        Keith wrote:

        > Patrick
        >
        > This is not an answer to your question but have your tried
        > 5-htp as that would correct your serotonin deficiency, ......
      • Nick Sandberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 1998
          Patrick Walsh wrote:

          > Ibogaine and Anxiety Dis-orders
          >
          > Hello List,
          >
          > I am posting in order to seek info regarding the effectiveness
          > of Ibogaine in terms of long term cure/relief of anxiety dis-orders
          > such as social phobia and the like - which apparently affects
          > 5-10% of the population, myself included. People who are badly affected
          > by anxiety have a high (like 50%) chance of either developing depression
          > or alcoholism.
          >
          > I have heard that it has major theraputic benefits but I thought
          > that I would post to see if there was any info out there, before I
          > spend a whole pile of money.
          >
          > I realise that Ibogaine's most useful function lies in the relief of
          > addiction so, given that addiction is a huge World problem, my message
          > might seem wholly inappropriate, if not down right irresponsible.
          >
          > I would like to beg lenience on the grounds that if word got out that
          > Ibogaine did alleviate life crippling anxiety type problems, a greater
          > market for it would open up and the consequent demand might speed it on
          > its way to greater availability.
          >
          > My analysis and the nature of my request are not intended to cause
          > aggravation but anyway, it is probably more likely that this mail will
          > not generate an avalanche of replies, never mind any annoyance.
          >
          > Yours,
          >
          > Patrick

          Hi Patrick,

          The business of understanding so-called addictive disorders is nowadays
          becoming big-time stuff for scientists.

          The result being greatly increased scientific attention to the subject.

          This attention is increasingly beginning to show that anxiety and stress
          are probably related to addiction. There's a lot of stuff about "cue
          sensitivity" about at the moment. It's to do with how some events
          happening around us, (cues), appear to trigger stressful and anxious
          feelings. Sometimes we appear to be unaware of what the event is, but
          the anxiety is nonetheless triggered, possibly through some form of
          subconscious recognition.

          Attention is centering on the limbic system, particularly the amygdala.

          I've just got hold of a new book on the subject, Emotional Memories by
          Joseph LeDoux, which looks like it could yeild a lot of interesting
          info.

          Anyway, there would appear to be a considerable possibility that
          Ibogaine may be effective in treating anxiety - presumably because it
          apparently allows some kind of semi-conscious reassessment of
          experiences and memories which are apparently generating anxiety via
          subconscious mechanisms.

          All the evidence is anecdotal however. No-one appears to understand how
          Ibogaine works. Which is hardly surprising when you consider that
          scientists are only just starting to understand the emotions in
          neurobiological, (empiric), terms. And, frankly, they haven't really got
          very far.

          The decision to take Ibogaine has to be a personal one. And it's
          certainly quite an expensive option.

          Hope this helps.

          regards

          Nick
        • Nick Sandberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 1998
            Patrick Walsh wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > If you have time, please do let me know where to find
            > out about 5-htp. I could surf the web for a year and
            > not find the site that explains all about it. I have never
            > heard of 5-htp before, at least not referred to as 5-htp!
            >
            > Yours,
            > Patrick

            This is what I know about 5-HTP. I'm not medically qualified.

            5-HTP, (5 hydroxy tryptophan), is the immediate serotonin, (5 hydroxy
            tryptamine), precursor. That's to say it is chemically changed in the
            brain to become serotonin.

            You can't take serotonin directly because, I believe, it can't pass
            through the blood-brain barrier, (though I may be wrong in this).

            The blood-brain barrier acts like a kind of immigration channel and
            won't let certain chemicals through when they try to get in from the
            bloodstream.

            Consequently, if we want to increase the level of serotonin in our
            brain, we have to take something that can pass through the barrier and
            then break down to form it. This is 5-HTP.

            Raising serotonin levels has long be regarded as an effective treatment
            for depression. There are numerous ways this can be done, but taking
            5-HTP is nowadays regarded as one of the safest, (this doesn't mean it
            will also be regarded as such).

            It was originally held to be effective for only minor levels of
            depression, (there are scales and protocols psychiatrists and others use
            to "measure" depression), but this view is increasingly being
            challenged. And many now believe it is an effective treatment for severe
            depression as well.

            As far as I know, 5-HTP is freely available, (no script req'd), in the
            US and Europe. You should be able to get it from health food shops and
            some pharmacies. Some manufacturers mix it with St John's Wort, which
            many people believe increase it's efficacy.

            Hope this is of use.

            regards

            Nick
          • Guy
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 1998
              Keith schrieb:
              > Patrick
              >
              > This is not an answer to your question but have your tried
              > 5-htp as that would correct your serotonin deficiency, although
              > only as long as you took though. But I am wondering if you have had
              > any success with it.

              Dear Keith,

              can you please tell us about 5-htp, and whether it is acting similar to SSRI's
              (is it one?).
              Thanks in advance
              Guy