Re: [IBM Pension] RE: HRA letter arrived and is it funny

  • here2test
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2013
      re: Survivor health benefit - HRA reduction?

      Is this something new? My HRA is 3000. Why do we have to take a
      reduced HRA amt inorder for the spouse to receive a reduced HRA after our death? And with no rollover of unused amt. This deck is stacked!

      --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, <retired_engineer@...> wrote:

      > Per the IBM ExtendHealth Announcement Newsletter, Page 7:
      > "The HRA represents IBM's annual contribution to your health care costs, and will not roll over year to year. Any balance at the end of the calendar year will be forfeited."
      >
      > From: larryrgeorge@...
      > To: ibmpension@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:15:40 -0700
      > Subject: [IBM Pension] RE: HRA letter arrived and is it funny

      > I got my letter from IBM today too. I fall in the $3,500 group, since I retired June 30, 1991. But since I want to ensure my wife also has this help, should I die before her, I am going to have to take the reduced amount of $2,600 a year.
      >
      > But I have a further question that is not covered in this letter. If we have any unused money in our HRA at year end, does the remaining amount carry over to the following year? Because if you have a Health Savings Account (HSA), any unused money carries over. Because you might not have a lot of expenses in 2014, but you could have major expenses in 2015 or later. No, I have not been drinking. I would just like to be surprised and find out that IBM is doing something good for their retirees. But then why should they start doing so now?
      >

      > ---In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, <ibmpension@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > Well I just got home from a round of golf and opened the letter from Dr. Rhee on the HRA . It's pretty funny and must have taken a group of staff pukes to put it together. Being I fall in the $3000 a year group it looks like the swizzle of the dollars was pretty interesting. To cut to the chase we will get a form in Nov and we need to make a decision on our spouse. If we choose to have our spouses receive HRA cover after our death then our new HRA will be $2374 a year. Upon our death if we die before our spouse she will get a subsidy of $1187 a year for the rest of her life. If we choose not to give the spouse coverage after our death we will have $3000 in the HRA to use but when we die the spouse gets nothing. I'm still laughing so now you know the whole story. They must have been working on this for at least a year. I like the spin LOL. Good luck , Life is Great

    • gfretwell2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2013
        If this is a national policy and everyone is "use or lose" in December I certainly don't want to get sick in 4Q. Everyone will be making appointments to drain any excess they have.

        In a message dated 9/30/2013 10:25:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, retired_engineer@... writes:

        Per the IBM ExtendHealth Announcement Newsletter, Page 7:
        "The HRA represents IBM's annual contribution to your health care costs, and will not roll over year to year. Any balance at the end of the calendar year will be forfeited."

      • Just Puttin'
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2013
          It's my guess that some Armonk Bean Counter said that, 'If we make them expire each year then we don't have to keep track of the on-going balances'.... Think of all the money we will save.  And there will be no long trail for the Auditors to track.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2013

            If this is a national policy and everyone is "use or lose" in December I certainly don't want to get sick in 4Q. Everyone will be making appointments to drain any excess they have.

            Surely it's the contribution IBM makes to pay for insurance which doesn't roll over, rather than the reimbursements the insurance companies make.  When one gets sick should have no impact.

            Bob Shair
            Champaign, Illinois
          • gfretwell2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013
              Are the HRA rollover rules just IBM or is this an IRS rule

              In a message dated 10/1/2013 7:53:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JustPutt2@... writes:

              It's my guess that some Armonk Bean Counter said that, 'If we make them expire each year then we don't have to keep track of the on-going balances'.... Think of all the money we will save.  And there will be no long trail for the Auditors to track.

            • netmouser
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013

                 It is IBM's choice to not roll over.  Most companies do per the FAQ at EH.

                ---In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, <ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Are the HRA rollover rules just IBM or is this an IRS rule

                In a message dated 10/1/2013 7:53:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JustPutt2@... writes:

                It's my guess that some Armonk Bean Counter said that, 'If we make them expire each year then we don't have to keep track of the on-going balances'.... Think of all the money we will save.  And there will be no long trail for the Auditors to track.

              • hankharty
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013

                  "Why do we have to take a reduced HRA amt inorder for the spouse to receive a reduced HRA after our death?"

                  It's the golden rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

                • <retired_engineer@...>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013
                    IRS says can rollover, so this is an IBM Plan rule.

                    To: ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com
                    From: gfretwell@...
                    Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:50:43 -0400