IBM Retiree - Verizon Discount

  • bootsy439
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
      What is the most expeditious process to use (with contacts, if possible) to obtain the Verizon cell phone discount for IBM an retiree.

      Verizon asks for a Work Phone Number and a Work Email Address. Their CSR said that this was to be from IBM. Hard to provide as a retiree.

      They also requested a copy of a recent pay stub. This is also difficult to provide because payments are electronically made monthly to the Credit Union and I opted out of receiving a hardcopy years ago.

      Thanks in advance.

      Chuck Carter
    • Chuck Carter
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
        What is the most expeditious process to use (with contacts, if possible) to obtain the Verizon cell phone discount for an IBM retiree.

        Verizon ask for a Work Phone Number and a Work Email Address. Their CSR said that this had to be IBM. Hard to provide as a retiree.

        Verizon also requested a copy of a recent pay stub. This is also hard to provide because retirement payments are made directly to the Credit Union and I opted out of receiving hardcopy from IBM.

        Thanks in advance.

        Chuck Carter

      • netmouser
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 27, 2011
          This worked for me. I now have a pre-paid Verizon plan. The cheapest pre-paid plan is to pay $100, the minutes last a year, so it is about $8 a month. You can call any other Verizon phone for free. Otherwise, calls are 10 cents a minute, so a 10-minute phone call is a dollar. I don't use my cell phone that much, so at the end of a year I had a lot of minutes unused, and they carried over when I paid $100 for the second year - which kind of surprised me.

          I switched from a normal plan with the IBM discount, and the pre-paid plan could use the same phone, and they waived (because I asked) the start-up fee.

          --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "bootsy439" <bootsy439@...> wrote:

          > What is the most expeditious process to use (with contacts, if possible) to obtain the Verizon cell phone discount for IBM an retiree.
          >
          > Verizon asks for a Work Phone Number and a Work Email Address. Their CSR said that this was to be from IBM. Hard to provide as a retiree.
          >
          > They also requested a copy of a recent pay stub. This is also difficult to provide because payments are electronically made monthly to the Credit Union and I opted out of receiving a hardcopy years ago.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Chuck Carter

        • ol_pops
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 27, 2011
            I have a prepaid phone from T-Mobile. $100 for 1000 minutes get you to the "Gold" Level. Add $10 the next year and your minutes carry over. Who knows what will happen when ATT buys T-Mobile though.

            --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, netmouser <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > This worked for me. I now have a pre-paid Verizon plan. The cheapest pre-paid plan is to pay $100, the minutes last a year, so it is about $8 a month. You can call any other Verizon phone for free. Otherwise, calls are 10 cents a minute, so a 10-minute phone call is a dollar. I don't use my cell phone that much, so at the end of a year I had a lot of minutes unused, and they carried over when I paid $100 for the second year - which kind of surprised me.

          • Hugh Laubis
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
              This Verizon discount is very interesting to me. I am retired IBM and have used Verizon for at least 10 years.
              To my recollection, neither company ever informed me about the program.
              Can someone tell me where this is all written down?
              Thanks,
              Hugh

              --- In mailto:ibmretiree%40yahoogroups.com, netmouser <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > This worked for me. I now have a pre-paid Verizon plan. The cheapest pre-paid plan is to pay $100, the minutes last a year, so it is about $8 a month. You can call any other Verizon phone for free. Otherwise, calls are 10 cents a minute, so a 10-minute phone call is a dollar. I don't use my cell phone that much, so at the end of a year I had a lot of minutes unused, and they carried over when I paid $100 for the second year - which kind of surprised me.

            • fadedblue89
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                I found info on the Sprint discount (20%) on the w3 under IBM discounts.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Here's a link that you might find helpful.

                  http://www.beneplace.com/user_login.jsp?Client_UserId=46944582

                  --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Laubis" <h.laubis@...> wrote:

                  > This Verizon discount is very interesting to me. I am retired IBM and have used Verizon for at least 10 years.
                  > To my recollection, neither company ever informed me about the program.
                  > Can someone tell me where this is all written down?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Hugh

                • Bob
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                    This URL takes me to a site that asks for my e-mail address. When I enter it I get the message 'invalid email domain'. Since I just trashed almost 1000 emails from my inbox, how can that be?

                    I have been using this email address for over ten years.

                    Bob - W8IMO@...

                    Hope the info they give out is better than their address verification.
                    --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, Gary Brown <k4gpb@...> wrote:

                    > Find an active employee, and ask them to visit:
                    >
                    > Visit: http://www2.beneplace.com/user_login.jsp?Client_UserId=46944582
                    > and see what they can find out for you.
                    >

                    > Or, use Google or Dogpile to search for:  discounts for IBM retirees verizon
                    >

                    > Gary

                  • chz_whiz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                      I signed up for a Verizon 2-year renewal and asked about the discount. "No problem." A few days later, got a letter that the discount was for active employees only, and they upped the price.

                      --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Laubis" <h.laubis@...> wrote:

                      > This Verizon discount is very interesting to me. I am retired IBM and have used Verizon for at least 10 years.
                      > To my recollection, neither company ever informed me about the program.
                      > Can someone tell me where this is all written down?
                      > Thanks,
                      > Hugh

                    • Debbie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 30, 2011
                        --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Laubis" <h.laubis@...> wrote:

                        > This Verizon discount is very interesting to me. I am retired IBM and have used Verizon for at least 10 years.
                        > To my recollection, neither company ever informed me about the program.
                        > Can someone tell me where this is all written down?

                        I see a whole list of discounts at:
                        http://www2.beneplace.com/home.jsp?Client_UserId=3002346

                        I use Sprint myself. A great 25% discount, and never had any problems with them. When I look at the drop-down list which shows the partners allowing retiree discounts I see Spring listed and T-Mobile (offering only a 12% discount)but nothing for Verizon, and when I searched on Verizon I got:

                        ** Search Results
                        No results matched your search criteria. **

                        So perhaps Verizon only *does* offer its discount to active employees, and not to retirees. Made me glad I chose Sprint. :D
                      • netmouser
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 2011
                          And Sprint is really fighting for market share giving deals. At the link for IBM that you provided, under the Current Special Offers tab, Spring has the following deal. Note also they are now advertising, as well, that they do not raise the costs or slow down speed if you go over a certain usage like the other providers do (T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon):

                          Current Special Offers

                          Sprint
                          $125 service credit with each NEW smartphone activation
                          Free $25 prepaid gift card with each NEW online activation
                          Free 300 Bonus Anytime Minutes with an Everything Data 450 plan
                          Coming Soon – HTC EVO™ 3D, the nation's first 3D phone
                          Online Specials: $50 gift card and accessories with the HTC EVO 4G, EVO Shift & Arrive™
                          Free activation on new accounts
                          Free shipping
                          Click here for more details.

                          --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <scall0way@...> wrote:

                          > --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Laubis" <h.laubis@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > This Verizon discount is very interesting to me. I am retired IBM and have used Verizon for at least 10 years.
                          > > To my recollection, neither company ever informed me about the program.
                          > > Can someone tell me where this is all written down?
                          >
                          > I see a whole list of discounts at:
                          > http://www2.beneplace.com/home.jsp?Client_UserId=3002346
                          >
                          > I use Sprint myself. A great 25% discount, and never had any problems with them. When I look at the drop-down list which shows the partners allowing retiree discounts I see Spring listed and T-Mobile (offering only a 12% discount)but nothing for Verizon, and when I searched on Verizon I got:
                          >
                          > ** Search Results
                          > No results matched your search criteria. **
                          >
                          > So perhaps Verizon only *does* offer its discount to active employees, and not to retirees. Made me glad I chose Sprint. :D

                        • orsonbear
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                            Some of those links will only accept an email address in the IBM domain (us.ibm.com). Have been there.

                            --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <w8imo@...> wrote:

                            > This URL takes me to a site that asks for my e-mail address. When I enter it I get the message 'invalid email domain'. Since I just trashed almost 1000 emails from my inbox, how can that be?
                            >
                            > I have been using this email address for over ten years.
                            >
                            > Bob - W8IMO@...
                            >
                            > Hope the info they give out is better than their address verification.
                            > --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, Gary Brown <k4gpb@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Find an active employee, and ask them to visit:
                            > >
                            > > Visit: http://www2.beneplace.com/user_login.jsp?Client_UserId=46944582
                            > > and see what they can find out for you.
                            > >

                            > > Or, use Google or Dogpile to search for:  discounts for IBM retirees verizon
                            > >

                            > > Gary

                          • fstephens
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                              The ID "MUST" be an "ibm.com" address. If you have a friend, still employed at IBM, give them a call or send them an email. Tell them you are using their email address to get verified. Have them send you the
                              acknowlegement reply message to you. It helps if they already have a Verizon account, as it will have been preverified and nothing else takes place.

                              Once you get your access link, sign up and use YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS for the contact address.

                              It works.

                              --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <w8imo@...> wrote:

                              > This URL takes me to a site that asks for my e-mail address. When I enter it I get the message 'invalid email domain'. Since I just trashed almost 1000 emails from my inbox, how can that be?
                              >
                              > I have been using this email address for over ten years.
                              >
                              > Bob - W8IMO@...

                            • orsonbear
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                                I think the link for retirees and the link for active IBM employees both wind up at the same site and require an IBM email address. If you are a retiree AND do not already have a Verizon Wireless account, you should be able to get the IBM discount by going to a Verizon store and showing your IBM retiree ID card. If you already have a Verizon account, I would think that getting a new phone AND getting the discount should be no problem. Have not tried that, but intend to eventually get a new phone (from Verizon).

                                --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, fstephens <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > The ID "MUST" be an "ibm.com" address. If you have a friend, still employed at IBM, give them a call or send them an email. Tell them you are using their email address to get verified. Have them send you the
                                > acknowlegement reply message to you. It helps if they already have a Verizon account, as it will have been preverified and nothing else takes place.
                                >
                                > Once you get your access link, sign up and use YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS for the contact address.
                                >
                                > It works.
                                >
                                > --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <w8imo@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > This URL takes me to a site that asks for my e-mail address. When I enter it I get the message 'invalid email domain'. Since I just trashed almost 1000 emails from my inbox, how can that be?
                                > >
                                > > I have been using this email address for over ten years.
                                > >
                                > > Bob - W8IMO@

                              • ibmretiree2006
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
                                  Somehow I lost my retiree id and I cannot seem to find the link for a new one. Can anyone help?
                                  Thanks in advance

                                  --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "orsonbear" <orsonbear@...> wrote:

                                  > I think the link for retirees and the link for active IBM employees both wind up at the same site and require an IBM email address. If you are a retiree AND do not already have a Verizon Wireless account, you should be able to get the IBM discount by going to a Verizon store and showing your IBM retiree ID card. If you already have a Verizon account, I would think that getting a new phone AND getting the discount should be no problem. Have not tried that, but intend to eventually get a new phone (from Verizon).
                                  >
                                  > --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, fstephens <no_reply@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > The ID "MUST" be an "ibm.com" address. If you have a friend, still employed at IBM, give them a call or send them an email. Tell them you are using their email address to get verified. Have them send you the
                                  > > acknowlegement reply message to you. It helps if they already have a Verizon account, as it will have been preverified and nothing else takes place.
                                  > >
                                  > > Once you get your access link, sign up and use YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS for the contact address.
                                  > >
                                  > > It works.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In ibmretiree@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <w8imo@> wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > This URL takes me to a site that asks for my e-mail address. When I enter it I get the message 'invalid email domain'. Since I just trashed almost 1000 emails from my inbox, how can that be?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I have been using this email address for over ten years.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Bob - W8IMO@

                                • orsonbear
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 8, 2011
                                    Call the ESC.