Calulating number of IBMers affected by initial 1999 Pension Plan change

  • thirtyyearibmer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2011
      I was recently contacted by a group of students working on a MBA project at the Chicago School of Business. (thanks to whoever posted the link to my website off the ibmemployee.com web site - you do make a difference) I have spent a few hours on the phone discussing Lou Gerstner's book "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?" I would like to start turning around Lou's executive-only perception of history. Little victories like getting in front of our future corporate leaders will help eventually.

      The group is working on a project on Corporate Strategy and Transformation. I would like to offer them hard data on the number of people within IBM affected by the initial announcement in 1999 as Lou says in his book that "some of these benefits changes created a great furor among a small group of IBM employees." I have given them my anecdotal insight into what I saw with not just employees but executives within the business. I have sent them the link to the UK employees burning their Quarter Century Club certficates to get them to understand it was more than a "small group of IBM employees" and the impacts have continued worldwide ever since.

      At one time, I think someone documented from hard data an "estimate" of the number of US employees affected by this announcement by "2nd choicers and no choicers." Does anyone have that data in a format that I can use with them? As a disclaimer, it will also probably show up in my second book as these types of interviews are helping greatly in getting that completed by fall.

      Cheers

      Pete
    • madinpok
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2011
        Here is a link to my post from last year where I estimated the number of employees who were affected by the pension plan changes.

        --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, thirtyyearibmer <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I was recently contacted by a group of students working on a MBA project at the Chicago School of Business. (thanks to whoever posted the link to my website off the ibmemployee.com web site - you do make a difference) I have spent a few hours on the phone discussing Lou Gerstner's book "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?" I would like to start turning around Lou's executive-only perception of history. Little victories like getting in front of our future corporate leaders will help eventually.
        >
        > The group is working on a project on Corporate Strategy and Transformation. I would like to offer them hard data on the number of people within IBM affected by the initial announcement in 1999 as Lou says in his book that "some of these benefits changes created a great furor among a small group of IBM employees." I have given them my anecdotal insight into what I saw with not just employees but executives within the business. I have sent them the link to the UK employees burning their Quarter Century Club certficates to get them to understand it was more than a "small group of IBM employees" and the impacts have continued worldwide ever since.
        >
        > At one time, I think someone documented from hard data an "estimate" of the number of US employees affected by this announcement by "2nd choicers and no choicers." Does anyone have that data in a format that I can use with them? As a disclaimer, it will also probably show up in my second book as these types of interviews are helping greatly in getting that completed by fall.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Pete

      • thirtyyearibmer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2011
          Thanks Madinpok.

          Senior moment as you gave this to me specifically last time. Sorry. Thanks for not saying, "gee, I told you this already!"

          Pete.