Cooper - an observation

  • mr_quarkwrench
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that the
      settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
      rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't mean that
      IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse, not
      paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.

      -- Don
    • Nginn5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        I still have not received anything from the Cooper Settlement. When I called last month, they said it would be included in my December deposit and they would pay me back to June. I will call again Monday. I was on hold a very long time when I called in November. Is there an address I could use?

        Perhaps I should send a letter.
      • lastdino1
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
          --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, mr_quarkwrench <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that the
          > settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
          > rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't mean
          that
          > IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse, not
          > paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.
          >
          > -- Don

          Got mine last month . This month has the new adjusted $'s that I will
          get . There doesn't seem to be a issue with the benifit adjustment. It
          is there just to show the difference and how much. I suspect that next
          mont it will be rolled in . Enjoy
        • mr_quarkwrench
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
            --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, lastdino1 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, mr_quarkwrench <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that
            the
            > > settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
            > > rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't
            mean
            > that
            > > IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse,
            not
            > > paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.
            > >
            > > -- Don
            > >
            > Got mine last month . This month has the new adjusted $'s that I
            will
            > get . There doesn't seem to be a issue with the benifit adjustment.
            It
            > is there just to show the difference and how much. I suspect that
            next
            > mont it will be rolled in . Enjoy

            I doubt it. It has been listed that way for several months now.
            Sorry, I no longer trust IBM.

            -- Don
          • Dave Finlay
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
              Don,
              I have had the same thought, but I know I'm paranoid.
              In this case, I think it's necessary because the joint & survivor terms
              could be different from the core amount. I still have no idea why the
              PRP is listed separately.

              Dave Finlay

              mr_quarkwrench wrote:

              > I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that the
              > settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
              > rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't mean that
              > IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse, not
              > paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.
              >
              > -- Don

            • i_be_mad_as_heck
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
                There may be legal implications in the way the settlement agreement
                was worded. It might be something like the 'benefit adjustment' is
                not covered by the PBGC? ERISA laws are complex.

                --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, Dave Finlay <dave.finlay@...>
                wrote:

                > Don,
                > I have had the same thought, but I know I'm paranoid.
                > In this case, I think it's necessary because the joint & survivor
                terms
                > could be different from the core amount. I still have no idea why
                the
                > PRP is listed separately.
                >
                > Dave Finlay
                >
                > mr_quarkwrench wrote:
                > >
                > > I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that
                the
                > > settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
                > > rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't mean
                that
                > > IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse,
                not
                > > paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.
                > >
                > > -- Don

              • Dave Finlay
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Another real possibility. I wonder if that applies to the PRP?

                  Dave Finlay

                  i_be_mad_as_heck wrote:

                  > There may be legal implications in the way the settlement agreement
                  > was worded. It might be something like the 'benefit adjustment' is
                  > not covered by the PBGC? ERISA laws are complex.
                  >
                  > --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:ibmpension%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave Finlay <dave.finlay@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Don,
                  > > I have had the same thought, but I know I'm paranoid.
                  > > In this case, I think it's necessary because the joint & survivor
                  > terms
                  > > could be different from the core amount. I still have no idea why
                  > the
                  > > PRP is listed separately.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Finlay
                  > >
                  > > mr_quarkwrench wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just looked at my last few pension statements and realize that
                  > the
                  > > > settlement money is still listed separately as BENEFIT ADJUSTMENT
                  > > > rather that being added into CORE TRUST. I hope this doesn't mean
                  > that
                  > > > IBM is still trying to find a way to avoid paying it. Or worse,
                  > not
                  > > > paying and billing us for the amount already distributed.
                  > > >
                  > > > -- Don

                • albanyblue2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
                    --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, Dave Finlay <dave.finlay@...> wrote:

                    > Don,
                    > I have had the same thought, but I know I'm paranoid.
                    > In this case, I think it's necessary because the joint & survivor terms
                    > could be different from the core amount. I still have no idea why the
                    > PRP is listed separately.
                    >
                    > Dave Finlay

                    ================
                    Dave, I'd like to speculate on that separate treatment. And, the
                    attorneys could address it more directly.

                    Since the lawsuit against IBM was based on IBM's violation of a
                    Federal anti-discrimination law, the payment might be coming out of
                    IBM's assets, - and not from the core trust. If this is so, then the
                    accounts must be kept separate.

                    Mike.
                    ============
                  • mr_quarkwrench
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
                      --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, albanyblue2000 <no_reply@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In ibmpension@yahoogroups.com, Dave Finlay <dave.finlay@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Don,
                      > > I have had the same thought, but I know I'm paranoid.
                      > > In this case, I think it's necessary because the joint & survivor
                      terms
                      > > could be different from the core amount. I still have no idea why
                      the
                      > > PRP is listed separately.
                      > >
                      > > Dave Finlay
                      > >
                      > ================
                      > Dave, I'd like to speculate on that separate treatment. And, the
                      > attorneys could address it more directly.
                      >
                      > Since the lawsuit against IBM was based on IBM's violation of a
                      > Federal anti-discrimination law, the payment might be coming out of
                      > IBM's assets, - and not from the core trust. If this is so, then
                      the
                      > accounts must be kept separate.
                      >
                      > Mike.

                      The money comes from the pension fund. I think the idea that core
                      and Cooper survivors benefit could be different percentages (mine
                      are) makes sense. It also makes sense that PRP is separate since it
                      can have payment options different from the core benefit.

                      I'm putting my paranoia on hold for this one.

                      -- Don