Wildlife Tax Earmarks

  • lcarrigan_55
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010
      I've been following the recent posts on state taxation for wildlife viewing with interest. I don't think anybody really "enjoys" taxes, however, I also watched how close Idaho came to possibly having some state park closures occur because of decreased state funds. Doesn't a portion of the sales of binoculars, spotting scopes, etc. go into a federal program for wildlife? And, if so, how is that money earmarked? Maybe my recollection of such a program is wrong, but seems I remember such.

      Also seems Idaho F&G could expand their "Watchable Wildlife" program and through whatever method chosen (targeted sales tax, stamp, etc.)ensure the $$$ would be spent for habitat, etc. As well, doesn't a similar program already exist with the wildlife license plate program and doesn't that program help non-game species?

      I do hunt and fish, in addition to watching wildlife, and purchase the federal waterfowl stamp, have one vehicle tagged with an Idaho elk plate and also mark the $1 addition for non-game species when purchasing a hunting tag. I absolutely agree that the funds need to be earmarked for habitat and non-game, as that benefits all species, preserves watersheds, etc. and, of course, benefits big game as well. Tough decisions for tough times.

      Brian Carrigan
      Blackfoot