Anyone home?

  • Greg Porter
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
      Can anyone who is actually trying to use the game chime in? Seems odd that
      of the ten people on board, there have been only a handful of questions...

      Greg
      BTRC
    • Scotty

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004

            Howdy,

            Here are my comments, questions, and wants (in no particular order)

            For card appearances, It'd be cool to have some graphical alternates to FPS. FPS is simple and everyone knows it, but some mystical signs, elemental siguls, sword/shield/spear, and the like would be nice. Or a way to import them.

            I like the list of graphics links, though I think it could be a bit more extensive, and perhaps the game could come with a set of fantasy / medieval images as well.

            On page 4...

            I am unclear as to whether or not the terrain cards are set up alternating until each has been placed, or if a player can choose how many to place and put the rest in the hand or deck.

            Sidebar: Here and a few other places when the defenders last icon is used, I initially wasn't sure if it was talking about the defender's last _winning_ icon or the last _listed_ icon. Like I said, I figured it out, but it my warrant rewording (or maybe not...)

            On page 6...

            I am unclear about what is meant by a unit only having to "beat" the terrain once. If a unit moves off, and then back on, does it not need to worry about beating it again? Or do just mean beat it only by one "hit?"

            Are Terrains ever removed aside from engineer units?

            In the example of movement, the unit could not move onto a terrain with S S S either, correct? Because it doesn't have enough icons?

            On page 7...

            Logistics sidebar: I'm confused about just what good a carrier unit does here. If it has to trace back to the Staging Area itself, isn't it just like any other unit in the supply line?

            On page 11...

            First sentence "What if the attack had been against a face-up..."  You might want to change that to read non-dug-in or something, since there are face up and face down cards already that don't have anything to do with being dug-in. Unless I'm reading that wrong...

            On page 13...

            Carrier sidebar: Third paragraph: Can any unit with cost of 4 or less "dock" with the carrier, even those that didn't get deployed by it?

            Forth paragraph: What if the owner doesn't have enough cards to match the number of  units in the carrier? Just discard whole hand, or are cards taken from elsewhere?

            Anyway, that's it for now. IA looks like another sleek and elegant game with the excellent addition of making your own cards. I can see a good SLAG! conversion. And who can't appreciate the NCCCG aspect: I love MtG when it first came out, then the main friend I played with on watch went overboard (pun intended) and had 1,000 cards before I knew it. It didn't guarantee a win by any means, but new cards constantly end up changing the game.

            Thanks,
            Aaron Kavli

          • noorg0523
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
              --- In iarmies@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Kavli <qraid@b...> wrote:
              > For card appearances, It'd be cool to have some graphical
              alternates to
              > FPS. FPS is simple and everyone knows it, but some mystical signs,
              > elemental siguls, sword/shield/spear, and the like would be nice.
              Or a
              > way to import them.

              That's doable, but RPS is immediately understandable. No one knows
              whether sword beats spear or spear beats shield...

              > I like the list of graphics links, though I think it could be a bit
              more
              > extensive, and perhaps the game could come with a set of fantasy /
              > medieval images as well.

              It's still a playtest document. Also, I intend to sell packs of theme
              graphics...;) I can only include a certain number of images with the
              basic game because of space constraints. It's 10 megs with just the
              limited selection in the playtest!

              > On page 4...
              >
              > I am unclear as to whether or not the terrain cards are set up
              > alternating until each has been placed, or if a player can choose
              how
              > many to place and put the rest in the hand or deck.

              You put all your terrains into play.

              > Sidebar: Here and a few other places when the defenders last icon
              is
              > used, I initially wasn't sure if it was talking about the
              defender's
              > last _winning_ icon or the last _listed_ icon. Like I said, I
              figured it
              > out, but it my warrant rewording (or maybe not...)

              I'll look at it.

              > On page 6...
              >
              > I am unclear about what is meant by a unit only having to "beat"
              the
              > terrain once. If a unit moves off, and then back on, does it not
              need to
              > worry about beating it again? Or do just mean beat it only by one
              "hit?"

              I mean to say that you only have to do "1 hit" to the terrain (with
              your movement) in order to move into it.

              > Are Terrains ever removed aside from engineer units?

              No. It's terrain. Mountains don't just "go away".

              > In the example of movement, the unit could not move onto a terrain
              with
              > S S S either, correct? Because it doesn't have enough icons?

              As said, you have to do "1 hit".

              > On page 7...
              >
              > Logistics sidebar: I'm confused about just what good a carrier unit
              does
              > here. If it has to trace back to the Staging Area itself, isn't it
              just
              > like any other unit in the supply line?

              The carrier unit might take a hit, but all the units down range of it
              count as in supply (they use up the carrier's reserves).

              > On page 11...
              >
              > First sentence "What if the attack had been against a face-up..."
              You
              > might want to change that to read non-dug-in or something, since
              there
              > are face up and face down cards already that don't have anything to
              do
              > with being dug-in. Unless I'm reading that wrong...

              Leftover bit.Originally, dug in units were face-down, but with
              counters on them that was too cumbersome, so I went with the "turn it
              45 degrees" mechanic.

              > On page 13...
              >
              > Carrier sidebar: Third paragraph: Can any unit with cost of 4 or
              less
              > "dock" with the carrier, even those that didn't get deployed by it?

              For simplicity purposes, yes.

              > Forth paragraph: What if the owner doesn't have enough cards to
              match
              > the number of units in the carrier? Just discard whole hand, or
              are
              > cards taken from elsewhere?

              Discard what you've got. Though I suppose any extras could be
              discarded off the top of your deck.

              Greg
              BTRC
            • Aaron Kavli
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                noorg0523 wrote:

                > <SNIP>
                > > On page 4...
                > >
                > > I am unclear as to whether or not the terrain cards are set up
                > > alternating until each has been placed, or if a player can choose
                > how
                > > many to place and put the rest in the hand or deck.
                >
                > You put all your terrains into play.

                Do the players alternate one terrain at a time, or does each player
                place his terrains all at once?

                Thanks,
                Aaron Kavli
              • Greg Porter
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004

                  >>> I am unclear as to whether or not the terrain cards are set up
                  >>> alternating until each has been placed, or if a player can choose
                  >> how
                  >>> many to place and put the rest in the hand or deck.
                  >>
                  >> You put all your terrains into play.
                  >
                  > Do the players alternate one terrain at a time, or does each player
                  > place his terrains all at once?

                  Alternate.

                  Greg
                  BTRC