Fwd: [diseasesurveillance] HEALTH LEADERSHIP AWARD .....(FOR POINEER)

  • Rajesh Sood
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2008

      No wonder the pioneer has covered the vaccine scam (closure of govt
      institutes in India and related issues) so much indepth. It reminds me
      of the times when the Indian express took the lead in breaking the
      bofors purchase corruption stories daya fter day.
      Seing the wonderful role of the media in keeping us informed, we need
      to institute an award for excellence in health investigative
      journalism, outstanding coverage oon health isues. What do forum
      members feel.
      Rajesh.
      Centre for health Promotion

      .

    • Jugal Kishore
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2008
        Dear Rajesh
        Their job is similar to any scientific investiation. But we have to understand that how many follows scientific or forensic methods to investigate. If they go wrong what can you do except huge loss of money and lives which goes unaccounted. There are many incidences such as side effects of Vitamin A in Assam, Deaths due to Measles vaccine in Andhra Pradesh, Myths and misconceptions about polio vaccinations, promotion of unscientific systems of medicine, etc. These reports might have done more damage than benefits of sales of their news papers. We have to be littile cautious because many of them are backed by political parties. Anyway, advocacy need to be scientific evidence based if possible.

        With kind regards

        --
        Dr. J Kishore
        MBBS, MD, PGCHFWM, PGDEE, MSc., MNAMS, FIPHA

        Please visit: http://drjugalkishore.blogspot.com

        President (Hony)
        Kishore Foundations; Sabasva Foundation,

        Director (Hony): Center for Inquiry Delhi Branch

        Author of
        * National Health Programs of India,
        * A Dictionary of Public Health
        * A Textbook of Health for Health Care Worker,
        * Biomedical Waste Management in India,
        * Vanishing Girl Child (on Female Feticide),
        * The Pioneering Social  Reformers of India
        * The Great Warriors of Human Rights Movement in India
      • Rajesh Sood
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2008
          Respected sir,

          Thanks for the words of caution and highlisting the irresponsible side of journalism. It is good that issues are debated and eventual clarification of concepts (and possible consensus in future).
          IMA, a so called scientific body went GAGA endorsing juices and processed foods without any evidence and nobody even raised an eyebrow.
          The exposure of vaccine crisis in which a central health minister is involved, if definitelty an act of good journalism.

          Any award for encouraging activists, needs to based on the truth of the findings and its impact.

          Regards,

          Rajesh

          Message 4 of 4 , May 21, 2008
            Dear Rajesh
            You are rightly pointed out that IMA is doing something fishy. This is not true that people are not raising voice against them. The psychiatric Committee is debating on this because it is much bigger issue as we all know the role of pharmaceutical companies influence our practices. Our scientific body should see that earning money for your organization can not go above than your social and moral duties. If we endorsed one product of one company then thousand other will stand in the line and do we have legal authority and expertize to do so. Why IMA should take this job of endorsing product if it is not the part of legal duties of organization.

            With kind regards.

            Dr. J kishore