Re: [iapsm_youthmembers] High Time for IAPSM to ACT - MCI's attitude towards "Community Medicine as a clinical speciality".....

  • Hemant shewade
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
      Dr Sai Shankar,

      I am totally with you in this regard....

      I would like to take this opportunity to suggest other points that can be added
      1. Internal medicine paper is in 4th year. but their classes and clinical postings also start from the 2nd year onwards. What difference does it make if our classes start from 1st year onwards.
      2. Like internal medicine faculty practise medicine in hospitals, community medicine / PSM faculty practise medicine in UHTC / RHTC. This includes family medicine (primary/secondary health care), epidemiology, health management and health promotion.

      Some say, how does it matter whether its treated as clinical or not. It matters... The attitude of the administrators will change. At least it will change the attitude of our fraternity.

      I would like to take this opportunity to address all HoDs of community medicine who are part of this group. Kindly ensure in your respective departments that the practise of community medicine shifts from department to RHTC / UHTC... Majority of the time of PGs must be spent in RHTC and UHTC.... Lets not treat our PGs like glorified tutors involved in MBBS / interns teaching and training. And forget not, our PGs will also work sincerely if they find faculty actively involved in UHTC / RHTC.

      My personal experience with this as a faculty for one year is that if one pursues to practice community medicine the way it should, administration also falls in place...

      Warm regards.
      Dr Hemant Shewade
      Puducherry.

      Sent from my iPad

      On 12-Mar-2013, at 18:37, saishankar prathap <prathapss@...> wrote:

      Dear esteemed members,

      Let me begin this communication by stating my assumption that IAPSM is committed to safeguard the interest of the speciality of Community Medicine.

      The Andhra Pradesh state chapter of IAPSM-IPHA has been trying to convince the authorities of NTRUHS in Vijayawada to classify Community Medicine as a clinical speciality, citing MCI's Graduate Medical Education regulations as reference (which is available in MCI's website). This University authorities want specific written letter from MCI instructing them to do so. When the AP State Chapter of IAPSM-IPHA represented the matter to MCI, it chose not to respond.

      I had earlier given an email to this group in the month of April 2012 (subject - 'It is high time to act - Urgent need to make efforts to recognize Community Medicine as a clinical specialty'....) with an appeal to all the members to act in trying to get Community Medicine recognized as a clinical speciality uniformly across all over the country. The members responded with questions such as advantages of Community Medicine as a clinical speciality etc. - I have no idea about any action they have taken.

      The IPHA conference at Kolkata in February 2013 provided an opportunity for Dr.Krishna Babu from AP to discuss this issue with Dr.Rajesh Kumar of PGIMER Chandigarh. Dr.Rajesh Kumar asked Dr.Arun Agarwal from PGIMER to discuss the issue with MCI as Dr. Arun Agarwal was supposed to attend a meeting with MCI in the very next week.
      Dr.Arun Agarwal had a discussion with MCI, and the email from Dr.Arun Agarwal following the discussion is as below:

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
        Dear friends
        The simple way to take this issue is to ask the Andra Pradesh Medical Council to treat this subject as clinical. If they have doubt then they will refer it from MCI and MCI is already uploaded on their website. Once APMC accept then their state universities should accept it. If they (APMC or MCI) are not responding then IAPSM can file RTI and ask the black and white answer in this issue.

        At the same time we have to be more Community medicine professional and should not ask recognition rather they should recognize you as omni-specialty professional and vital for individual, community, national and international health.

        long live wisdom of Community Medicine

        --
        Prof. Jugal Kishore
        MBBS, MD, PGDCHFWM, PGDEE, MSc., FIAPSM, FIPHA, FAMS,

        Editor (Hony): Journal of Nursing Science and Practice, Research Review: Journal of Health Professions, Journal of Energy, Environment and Carbon Credit, Journal of Medicine,

        Author of following books:
        National Health Programs of India: National Policies and Legislations
        related to health; A Dictionary of Public Health; Practical and Viva of Community Medicine
        Question Bank Community Medicine; Textbook for Health Worker and Auxiliary Nurse Midwife
        Inequity in India healthcare; Female feticide: An instigating of female status
        Effect of educational booklet on depressions; How to prevent and manage your low back pain: A guide for health posture and and lifestyle; A Comprehensive Review of Community Medicine
        Biomedical Waste Management in India; Breastfeeding and college girls
        A Pioneering Social Reformers of India; Great Warriers of Human Rights Movement From India;
        Vanishing Girl Child; Living With out God; Bhavnayen (An anthology of poems in Hindi)

        For my books please Visit http://centurypublications.co.in, http://centurypublications.blogspot.com
        or contact: 09868010950

      • MANOJ TALAPALLIWAR
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
          Dear all,
          We are in very difficult situation that we are teaching "evidence based medicine" , we are preventing morbidity and mortality from major killers through vaccination, treating infectious diseases like Malaria etc but still our work is considered as Non-clinical!
          Where is the problem?

          Dr Manoj Talapalliwar
          Assistant Professor
          NKPSIMS & RC
          Nagpur

[...]

        • saishankar prathap
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
            Dear friends,

            The issue is not just about the experience of Andhra Pradesh State
            Chapter of IAPSM-IPHA. It is about:

            1. The lack of clarity regarding the speciality at all levels -
            individual institutions, Universities, State Medical Councils and even
            MCI.

            2. Absence of a clear cut guideline from MCI regarding Community
            Medicine as a clinical speciality. Though all the versions of the MCI
            GME mention Community Medicine as a clinical speciality, University
            VCs and institution heads fail to implement it and MCI representatives
            dont want to discuss it or act on it for reasons known only to them.

            3. The understanding and implementation should not vary from one state
            to another, but should be uniform across the entire country.

            4. Finally, IAPSM must act to persuade MCI to come up with a uniform
            guideline and implement it across all over the country. IAPSM has been
            discussing about community medicine as a clinical speciality in the
            meetings during past few national conferences but has not acted so
            far. Its time for the association to not restrict itself in just
            discussions amongst its members or office bearers but take it forward
            with MCI/MoHFW

            5. Once again I appeal you all to act on this.

            Regards
            Dr.Sai Shankar Prathap