Re: [iapsm_youthmembers] FW: [pg_snsph] Trends in Maternal Mortaltity 1990 - 2010

  • Subodh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13 12:08 AM
      Dear Vikash,

      Thanks for circulating this document on our e-group. You deserve appreciation for keeping the group alive.

      However, I do not agree on the statement 'Great achievement considering the Special SRS bulletein on MMR published in 2011 estimated MMR in india to be 212' because
      - First, the MMR of 200 is based on the previous SRS reported figures and uses some mathematical modelling to extend it till the next report at national level is available. We should not try to interpret it so much and wait for the next special bulletin from SRS for 2010-12 which will be available in 2013.
      - Second, the figure of 212 is for year 2007-2009. We can consider it for the mid-point 2008. A decline of 12 points in MMR in 2 years is not so great.
      - Third, India should be compared with other emerging economies (viz. BRICS nations) and it fairs very poor when compared with Brazil, China or Russia.

      Best regards,
      Subodh

      On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Vikash Keshri <vicksy02@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      The recent estimated trend of maternal mortality 1990- 2010 published jointly by WHO, UNFPA and World Bank is the first document where Maternal Mortality of India is estiamted to be 200. Great achievement considering the Special SRS bulletein on MMR published in 2011 estimated MMR in india to be 212.

      Also closely following the trend provides the strength that India can still achieve MDG 5 by 2015. But as the fact is for achieving any goal the resistance near the target is strongest.

      I see role of enhanced role of Public Health here.

      Regards,

      Vikash

      [Attachment(s) from Vikash Keshri included below]

      Dear All,

      Please find attached recent UNFPA publications on Trends of Maternal Mortality 1990 to 2010.

      Kind Regards,

      Vikash

      _____________

      Dr. Vikash R. Keshri

                        Resident

      Dr. Sushila Nayar School of Public Health

                    (Incorprating)

      Department of Community Medicine

      Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences

      Sewagram,  Wardha (M.S.) - 442102

      Mob: +919561454232 / +918956396908

      Email: vicksy02@... / Vikash@...

      Our Lives begins to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

      Martin Luther King Jr.

      --
      Dr. Subodh S Gupta,
      Professor (Social Pediatrics)