RE: [iapsm_youthmembers] Only 2.27 % of the total health expenditure is contributed by International Agencies

  • Dr. Karan Singh Sagar
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 1:27 AM

      Dear Dr Kishore,

      I have my full respect for you.

      I have worked with government, UN, NGO, development partners but I don’t claim to be supporting any particular organization or agency.

      This is not by any means a personal matter (please don’t take it like that). I don’t participate in this forum representing any agency or organization. My views are strictly as a colleague in public health and therefore I don’t sign off as representing any organization.

      The purpose of this forum is to stimulate healthy debate where every member has freedom to air their views and share experiences. We should be discussing how to use all available resources (government, academia, researchers, NGO or national/international organization) to address public health challenges facing India, rather than worrying about our affiliations to individual organizations.

      I hope we will be able to discuss more relevant issues here!!!!

      Best

      Dr Karan Singh Sagar

      From: Jugal Kishore <drjugalkishore@...>
      To: iapsm_youthmembers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 1:23 PM

      Dear Dr. Karan Sagar

      Nice to see your justification. It would have been better if you have not hidden your the organization while pasting your response. It is a scientific forum and everybody free to express their opinons as a part of healthy debate. I may be wrong in my opinion but that does not approved others opinion is right. Your response has ignited so many areas of failures and successes. It would be better if our colleague throughtout the country start thinking to prove me wrong.

      With humble regards.

      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Dr. Karan Singh Sagar <drkaransagar@...> wrote:

      No international organization can and should match the government expenditure on any social sector. It is good and commendable that this is not happening in our country. But the other side of the coin is also to be seen. These organizations try to bring in the best technical expertise (both international and national) to assist with government programs and their technical assistance is valued. Look at the success of programs supported by them too.

      We should not undermine the value additions by these organizations but at the same time also not let them take complete control. And for that our own house has to be in order (our public health system, role of our associations etc).

      Public health scene in this country has changed since the these organizations came in and started harnessing our own public health experts. Today more than 3000 public health professionals have worked in field and learned  firsthand what public health means and how one has to run a program through efforts of just one organization (NPSP). This was never there and still nonexistent in our teaching of public health in MBBS or MD, where you just restrict yourself to the bible “PARK” and pass the exams.

      So let’s not be critical of these organizations but use them to make our own system and associations robust and stand up & meet the public health needs of this country.

      Best

      Dr Karan Singh Sagar