[se-mch] QUERY: Availability and Utilization of RCH Kit A and B - Experiences. Reply by 7 June 2010.

  • Dr Om Prakash Kansal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 6:10 AM

      From: Om Prakash Kansal [mailto:kansalop@...]
      Sent: Monday , May 24 , 2010 10:37 AM
      To: ' Maternal and Child Health Community '
      Subject: [se-mch] QUERY: Availability and Utilization of RCH Kit A and B - Experiences. Reply by 7 June 2010.

      Moderator’s Note: Dear friends , we are posting a new query on Availability and Utilization of RCH Kit A and B. The query is looking for experiences of using the RCH Kit in other states of India . We look forward to a rich discussion on this topic. Members can send their responses to se-mch@...

      Dear all ,

      I work as Health Officer (Reproductive and Child Health) with UNCIEF , Bihar .

      One of the focus areas for RCH II programme (Reproductive and Child Health Programme) is improvement in the drug supply system. Regular supplies of essential and basic drugs are key to service delivery of any component. In the recent past , many states have been provided with RCH Kit A and B. The components of RCH Kit A and B are available at

      ftp://ftp.solutionexchange.net.in/public/mch/resource/res24051001.pdf (PDF , Size: 99 KB)

      Bihar has received 18 , 000 RCH Kits A and B directly through UNOPS (United Nations Office for Project Services). In a recent field visit , I could see that the Auxiliary Midwife Nurse (ANMs) , who are the recipients of the kit , are not clear on the usage of many components of it. Besides there is no message to them whether to distribute the drugs directly or share with Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) or Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs). Particularly , items like Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) , Iron Folic Acid (IFA) tablets , Zinc tablets etc can be easily shared for wider and timely distribution in the catchment area of a sub centre (centre point of RCH kit distribution). In addition to this , there is the lack of clarity on the management of this initiative. Summarily , the staff have not been trained and briefed about the utilization of RCH Kit A and Kit B.

      In this context , I would like the MCH Community members to share:

      • Experiences of using RCH Kits in other States
      • System followed to appraise the Primary Health Centre (PHC) staff and ANMs on the usage , recording , reporting and replenishment of the components of the Kit through state/district resources

      The information and the experiences from other states would help us shape the future strategies in Bihar and advocate for the best practices with the Government.

      Regards ,

      Om Prakash Kansal

      UNICEF

      Bihar