Assam became the country's first state to guarantee all its citizens the right to healthcare

  • Rajesh Kumar Sood
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010

      Assam became the country's first state to guarantee all its citizens the right to healthcare by passing the Assam Public Health Bill, 2010 on Wednesday.

      The new law makes it mandatory for all government and private nursing homes and hospitals to provide free health- care to an emergency patient of any kind for the first 24 hours.

      “This Act is the first step in India towards making health- care a fundamental right and we hope it will revolutionise our health sector,“ said state Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. “Rules would be framed to define an emergency under the legislation,“ he said.

      The Act says patients who cannot afford treatment in a private hospital can later be shifted to a government hospi- tal after getting immediate nec- essary treatment for the first 24 hours -- very crucial in sav- ing lives.

      The Act also prescribes remedial measures in case a patient fails to receive attention in a government hospital or health establishment because of the absence of doc- tors or any other medical staff.
      Such patients would be entitled to monetary compensation.

      Other salient features of the Act include every patient hav- ing the right to be provided his or her complete medical records of at least two years maintained by the hospitals and nursing homes.

      --
      Dr RK Sood
      District AIDS Project Officer Kangra
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
        thanks fro useful information
        regards
        Umesh

        Dr. Umesh Kapil,
        Professor , Public Health Nutrition,
        All India Institute of Medical Sciences ,
        New Delhi, 110029,
        India
        Mobile : 9810609340,
        Office 26593383
        Res: 26195105

        www.samchild.com

        www.mchws2009.com

[...]

        drrksood@gmnail. com

      • Dr Tulika Goswami Mahanta
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010

          Assam Public Health Bill is really a revolutionary step
          > towards public health for this part of North East. High
          > level political commitment was evident through this
          > initiative. Through this bill the acute crisis of doctors
          > and infrastrusture in Assam can be overcomed by optimum use
          > of private doctors and nursing homes for initial 24 hours of
          > hospitalization by making free services in all facility
          > without any hidden cost for initial 24 hrs. This bill also
          > giving the right to health to the common people of Assam.
          > The patient staying in the hospitals and also during the
          > recovery stage during rest period will be entitled to
          > receive daily allowances. As Health Minister says while
          > discussing the bill in Assembly that as cancer is emerging
          > as major public health
          problem in North East so new
          > initiatives for vaccination against ca cx and also Rs one
          > lakh compensation for Kindney transplantations are some of
          > the important initiatives. Assam is having the highest
          >  maternal death in India with about 480 death per lakh live
          > birth with high bed occupancy ratio in Govt maternaity
          > hospitals for JSY which is compromising the quality of care
          > in Govt Sector. Therefore this initiative has the potential
          > to improve the maternal and child health indirectly by
          > making more paediatricians avaiable from private sectors for
          > care of needy. Many other issues like emerging RTA, CVD
          > events can expect better care in near future. Now holistic
          > integrated appraoch in implementing the strategies can
          > improve the public health situation further.
          >
          > With regards
          > Dr Tulika Goswami Mahanta
          > Associate
          Professor

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
            Respected Members,
                              As per news i have read that Assam is also only state to paas the bill of compulsory one year rural posting of doctors after their MBBS & also providing them Rs 25,000 as pay ... has it been implemented??

               Dr. Vikram K Gupta, PG, Punjab

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
              yes, this compulsory rural posting has been implemented since last one year and becoming successful in reducing the manpower shortage at peripheral level and also giving good rural exposure to budding doctors.
              Regards
              Tulika, Assam

                                As per news i have read that Assam is also only state to paas the bill of compulsory one year rural posting of doctors after their MBBS & also providing them Rs 25,000 as pay ... has it been implemented? ?

                 Dr. Vikram K Gupta, PG, Punjab

              Assam Public Health Bill is really a revolutionary step
              > towards public health for this part of North East. High
              > level political commitment was evident through this
              > initiative. Through this bill the acute crisis of doctors
              > and infrastrusture in Assam can be overcomed by optimum use
              > of private doctors and nursing homes for initial 24 hours of
              > hospitalization by making free services in all facility
              > without any hidden cost for initial 24 hrs. This bill also
              > giving the right to health to the common people of Assam.
              > The patient staying in the hospitals and also during the
              > recovery stage during rest period will be entitled to
              > receive daily allowances. As Health Minister says while
              > discussing the bill in Assembly that as cancer is emerging
              > as major public health problem in North East so new
              > initiatives for vaccination against ca cx and also Rs one
              > lakh compensation for Kindney transplantations are some of
              > the important initiatives. Assam is having the highest
              >  maternal death in India with about 480 death per lakh live
              > birth with high bed occupancy ratio in Govt maternaity
              > hospitals for JSY which is compromising the quality of care
              > in Govt Sector. Therefore this initiative has the potential
              > to improve the maternal and child health indirectly by
              > making more paediatricians avaiable from private sectors for
              > care of needy. Many other issues like emerging RTA, CVD
              > events can expect better care in near future. Now holistic
              > integrated appraoch in implementing the strategies can
              > improve the public health situation further.
              >
              > With regards
              > Dr Tulika Goswami Mahanta
              > Associate Professor
              > Department of Community Medicine
              > Assam Medical College
              > Dibrugarh
              > Address for Communication - House No -16, Ward -19, Satsag
              > Vihar Road, Jyotinagar, Dibrugarh, Assam, Pin- 786001, Ph-
              >  09435032539  09435032539

              All India Institute of Medical Sciences ,
              New Delhi, 110029,
              India
              Mobile :  9810609340  9810609340 ,
              Office 26593383
              Res: 26195105

[...]
              Mobile:  +91 9418064077  +91 9418064077
              Telefax:  +91 1892- 225559
              drrksood@gmnail. com

            • Dr Om Prakash Kansal
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

                I really envy the political leadership in Assam. I have been tracking the progress in Health in Assam since three years and It is heartening to know that NRHM implementation is being led from the front by their health minister himself. A young enthusiastic chap, willing to do something different and always open to criticism is the Assamese Health Minister. No doubt, he took lead in this right to health bill.

                States like UP and Bihar do not have even 10% of the similar political will.

                All the best to all collegues in Assam.....
                Dr Om Prakash Kansal
                                     M.D.(Community Medicine),
                Health Officer,
                UNICEF Field office for Bihar,
                8, Patliputra Colony,
                Patna-800013

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
                  It is nice to hear about the progress in Assam moreso, becasue I have been the UNICEF STATE representative for NE/NW  states in India
                  till 2007. In 2009, a separate office for NE was created.
                  Keep in touch.

                  Thanks
                  Prof. S.K Chaturvedi
                  former PHOD, Community Medicne