3866Re: [iapsm_youthmembers] Re: MCI recognition, a must?

  • aakash shrivastava
    Nov 4, 2011
      To the comment of Dr Prasad Pore, I have to add

      What should matter is the ethos that we carry...all the names suggested so far have words  "social"," preventive", "community", "public" "health"
      Now would anyone sit down and ponder what these words mean to him or her...whatever they mean to them is what they will become. "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he".
      I do not agree to be guided by what MCI says. It is just a license regulating body !

      No, as a medical professional we are only qualified in one background discipline "medicine" and so can not be the solo claimers of "Public Health". We are just too limited in our knowledge. We know too little of  molecular sciences, evolutionary sciences etc etc. A person who spent his graduation learning how "mapping" and "global positioning system" works, may do better marvels that will "prevent" diseases in ways that our knowledge of "medical science" would fail to work. So a jack of all trade is more welcome here than a man with just a stethoscope !

      Just as Engineers compete with non-Engineers for management positions, we should also be ready to stop claiming that medicos are a superior race ! We have our background of a discipline and that helps us to understand some-things better. That is all.

      On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:05 AM, PRASAD PORE <prasad_pore@...> wrote:

      there is still confusion in our mind regarding the subject.
      we have 2 national organisations IAPSM & IPHA. most of the people are members of both.
      we have been called by many names like PSM, SPM, Community Medicine, Community health, Public health etc.
      its high time for all of us to think what we are and what we want the PG student to become.
      MCI considers person with MD community medicine eligible for MD in hospital administration teaching also.

      Now MPH, MBA in health care etc. courses are coming up even for non medicos.These people are our future competitors. I heard that person with MPH is preferred over MBBS, DPH because MPH is masters degree and DPH is diploma in abroad.

       I think probably only advantage we have is medical background (MBBS degree) which most of us forget because of non contact with patients.

      so i request senior people to guide us.

      Dr. Prasad Pore
      Pune
      Mobile No. 9921073540