Fw: Fwd: From BBC Newsnight: Do we have to learn to live with slums?

  • Nicasio De Rosas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2011
      Dear Partners and Friends,

      I am sending a video documentation made by BBC on Metro Manila Slums with the help of UPA. Urban Poor Associates (UPA) is a member of PHILSSA doing advocacy work on urban poor issues and concerns.

      UPA. Tricorp and the rest of PHILSSA members and PO (people's organizations) partners have been pushing for on-site and in-city relocation. Under the new administration, Pres. Aquino agreed to explore on-site and in-city relocation and allocated funds to implement such projects. There are on-going consultations with CSOs, POs, National Government Agencies and local government units (LGUs) in 3 pilot cities (Quezon City, Manila and Pasay) in Metro Manila to implement such strategy.

      Nicasio O. de Rosas
      Advocacy Officer
      Partnership of Philippine Support Service Agencies, Inc. (PHILSSA)
      3/F Joseph Cardinal Hoeffner Building Social Development Complex
      Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights
      1108 Quezon City, Philippines
      Tel. Nos. 4266001 loc. 4854, (632) 4264328, (632) 4260811
      E-mail: nicderosas@...
      Mobile: 09178601011

      The Daily Urban Poor

      August 18, 2011

      Last May, the Urban Poor Associates (UPA) accompanied BBC in Manila esteros. Here is the 15 minute film aired yesterday. Paul Mason, economics editor of BBC newsnight said, "Without the slum dwellers global mega cities could not function at all."

      We are hoping that the government will build on site housing for the estero people using the Palafox housing designs

      Pls. Click the Link
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9566838.stm
      You are subscribed to email updates from The Daily Urban Poor
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email delivery powered by Google